You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Life In My Cousin's Home

Real Ghost Stories

Life In My Cousin's Home

 

I have experienced many different paranormal moments so far in life. Both homes that I spent the majority of my life in had a good amount of activity. However, it was the house my cousin grew up in in Hamilton, Ontario that had the most consistent and ongoing activity.

To begin with, my aunt and uncle still live in the house. There is still much paranormal activity happening in their home. The activity that happens the most often is the sounds of walking. Personally, stories of footsteps can be a bit suspect to me. Often in my own experience if I think I heard footsteps I will analyze the sound over and over in my head to make sure it was actually the sound of someone walking, and not just the settling of floorboards, or the forced air kicking on, or the wind making the house creak. But these footsteps always feel so different because they are so unmistakable, and they happen over a very large amount of space.

Firstly, I have been hearing these footsteps since I was a child. And anyone I talk to in my family about them has been hearing them just as long. The house is a back split. Off the kitchen are two sets of stairs, one going up and one doing down. Down leads to their living room and up to the bathroom and bedrooms. If you sit in the living room (which is directly under the bedrooms) at any time of day or night, you will hear someone walking from my aunt and uncle's room at the back of the house to the top of the stairs which are in the middle of the house. It's only one set of footsteps and it always stops at the stairs. If you stand and look up the stairs you won't see anything.

I used to pet-sit their dog every summer. One year I decided to track when I heard the steps and when the A/C came on. I thought that perhaps it was just the house creaking as the air turned on and moved through the vents. Turns out they don't match up even a little. I also tracked things like where the dog was when I heard the steps, what the weather was like, what time of day or night it was, and who else was in the house. Absolutely nothing could account for the footsteps.

Another experience happened to my aunt just a little while ago. She had gotten home from work and my uncle was still at work and my cousin was at school. The house was empty. So she locked the front door when she got in and went to do some laundry in the basement. While she was down there she heard the front door open and footsteps come into the house. Thinking it was my uncle, she went up to see him. When she got upstairs she saw the front door sitting open a few inches. She went to shut it and when she was a few feet from the door she heard a voice say her name right behind her head. She whipped around, and no one was there. A few moments later my cousin came through the door and as it opened all the way my aunt could see that her husband's car was not in the driveway.

The last story I have is something that has happened on at least two different occasions. The first time this happened my cousin was alone in her room. She was sitting on her bed and watching TV. From across the room, about 6 feet, a bottle of nail polish sitting on her dresser hurtled towards her bed. She got up and left the room and called my sister. On the second occasion my aunt was in the room with her and multiple things on her dresser flew off and towards them sitting on the bed. Again these things would have to move at least 6 feet from their resting place on the dresser to hit her bed.

These are just a few of the many experiences that have happened in this house. I thought I'd share them with you all. They are regular and not aggressive. Even the objects being thrown did not hit anyone and did not come close to hitting anyone. I think the one that we hear walking must be some kind of residual haunting because it is always the same path from the same spot in their bedroom to the very top of the stairs and that's it. I'd love to hear your thoughts, though!

Other hauntings by JaymeAnne

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JaymeAnne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-24)
JaymeAnne,

Thanks for sharing.

I agree that the footsteps sound as if they belong to a residual occurrence. However your Aunt's experience had me scratching my head...

I need to ask a question, and I will explain why after I do so...

How sure is your Aunt about what she heard recently? Concerning the opening of the front door and the footstep in particular?

Is she 110% sure that the footsteps she heard actually entered the house from outside OR did she hear them only on the floor INSIDE the house?

I ask because this can help determine if the spirit is already connected to the home OR if it's a spirit that has managed to wander in and is looking for attention.

How OLD is/was your cousin at the time the objects were thrown? It MAY have been poltergeist activity... (if not a teenager they the suggestion of STRESS being present still may have caused poltergeist activity.

Thanks again for sharing. I hope you do not mind the questions.

Respectfully,

Rook
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-22)
Hmm. Always in the same spot.

A family member had an odd feeling in the upstairs hall of their house, which was built in the 1880s.

I once toured a house that was allegedly haunted, but lived in by a family. I knew immediately what spot was troublesome.

If the scariest place is a single location, then it certainly must be residual.

Thank you for posting and contributing to my paranormal body of knowledge...
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-22)
Greetings, JaymeAnne.

I enjoyed reading your well-narrated account, and agree primarily with Randy's comments. However, I think it would be prudent to mention that your cousin may be the source for some of the activity in the house if she is dealing with a lot of pressure or stress in her life; if emotional pressures and intellectual stresses are suppressed, they can manifest in the form of poltergeist phenomena, such as moving objects, etc. By no means am I suggesting that your cousin is doing this on purpose, nor that she is responsible for all of the activity in the home.

Did your aunt describe the nature of the voice she heard? Was it: Male/female? Young/old? Clear/whispery? Scary/ordinary? Accented? If -for example- it was young & female, your cousin may have been looking forward to getting home, and your aunt heard manifestations of your cousin's wishes. Your cousin is UNLIKELY to have addressed her mother by name and equally unlikely to have been concentrating hard enough to have opened the locks on the front door, but I mention this as a train of thought to be pursued, NOT as an explanation. If you can find out from your aunt what the voice sounded like, you may be able to investigate the houses' history or your extended family's histories with this voice in mind.

Best,
Biblio.
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-22)
JaymeAnne, your stories were very interesting! Thank-you for sharing all of these experiences with us.

I hope to hear more about your experience/s in future.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-01-22)
JaymeAnne,

Thank you for sharing

First off, very good for trying to track the footsteps and trying to match it to a rational explanation. I'm impressed you tried to find a
Reason and not jump straight to the paranormal.
I would agree that the footsteps sound residual.

As for the objects being thrown.
When you couple that with your aunt hearing her name being called from a close distance it appears as though someone could have been trying to get your family's attention. On the other side people have various talents just as they do on this side of life. Some may be good at speaking while others may be good at moving things. Everything they do on the other side (when it comes to interaction with our side) is about how they manipulate energy. Either way, it is very difficult for them to let the living know they are around. So flinging a lipstick tube may not be meant as aggressive, it just what they can do to get attention.

I enjoyed your accounts and thank again for sharing
Randy
toosexysof (4 stories) (18 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-22)
JaymeAnne,

I enjoyed reading your story especially the part when you tried to track where the sound came from. This made me remember an experience I once had.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: