You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Sacrifice

Real Ghost Stories

The Sacrifice

 

It's been a year since I uploaded my last story. This story again didn't happen to me, it happened to my maternal uncle.

The story is set in 1980's. My uncle was in his late teen years. He used spend a lot of time with his friends partying. My grandma always scolded him for that but we all know how teens are, anyways one day after partying he was coming back home. It was almost midnight. Back in those days, people were not very active at night. They used to go home early after work so all the nearby shops and stores were closed. The whole area was desolate at that time.

My uncle wanted to pee urgently. He saw a tree and peed under it. Little did he know that it was a Tamarind tree. In India, Tamarind tree is considered as homes of ghosts and banshees. He did realized it but was too tired to think about it. So he ignored it and went back home.

As soon as he entered his room, He saw a lady sitting on his bed her back was facing his face. He thought it was my grandma and told her to leave as he was exhausted and feeling sleepy. She didn't say anything. He again told her to leave but again there was no response. Now he got irritated and grabbed her shoulders but to his surprise, her body was as cold as ice. He flinched back and stayed stunned for a moment. Then he saw something horrifying. The lady turned her face 360 degrees and looked at my uncle angrily. She was snarling at him like a wild animal. My uncle was so terrified that he fainted.

Next day when he woke up, he was lying on his bed. He recalled the events last night and thought it might have been his dream. He shrugged the whole thing off and returned to his regular activities. The whole day he felt a pressure on his neck as if someone was hanging on to them. He returned home late again. He lied on his bed and slept. At around 3 in the morning he heard something, it felt like a woman was sobbing. He turned on the light and a shiver ran through his body. He saw the same lady was sitting upside down on the ceiling. As soon as she saw him she jumped down and charged on him. She grabbed his neck and was choking him. My uncle tried to scream but nothing was coming out of his mouth.

My grandpa woke up to get water. He tried to check on my uncle whether he has returned home or not. He went to my uncle's room. As he entered the room, he saw the lady throttling my uncle. He shouted at her and she vanished. My uncle ran to grandpa and hugged him tightly. Next day, my grandpa gathered everyone and asked my uncle about the last night. My uncle was crying uncontrollably. He told everyone about the incident happened on that day. My grandma slapped him and reprimanded him for that.

They called a priest and asked him about a solution to this problem. He told them the woman was a banshee, that Tamarind tree was her home and my uncle made a blunder by peeing under the tree. Now she was angry at him and wants a revenge. My grandparents pleaded him for a solution. He said if my uncle apologized to her under that tree then only she would leave him but in return she would take any of his relatives life.

My great grandfather was alive at that time but he was suffering from cancer. As you know at that time treatment of cancer was not very common so he was going to die within few months. He offered to sacrifice himself for my uncle.

Next day my uncle and great grandpa went under that tree. He apologized for his mistake and suddenly my great grandpa collapsed to ground. My uncle started crying, his grandfather was not breathing anymore.

Nothing happened after that. Even today those incidents haunt my uncle sometimes. He has a portrait of his grandfather in his house. He owes his life to him. Every morning he thanks him for saving his life. Even I respect my great grandfather for this.

Other hauntings by Aaru275

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aaru275, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-26)
Guys I don't have enough idea about it myself. The story has been told to me by my grandma. I asked her about banshee and she said she is an unholy spirit that brings death with her. If she gets attached with someone, the person will either lose his life or someone from his family will certainly die. Lilwolf this is what my grandma told me. Hope I am clear enough and sorry if I failed to explain it.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-10-16)
Oh dear 😁 I am with Lady glow here, as per the story peeing under Tamarind trees and perticularly that tree should be flagged by the local authorities that if you pee under this tree at any given time then you may loose someone from your family and even your pets (please no offense ment and also I am not wanting to make a joke out of it)
Just want to say "Instant Karma" in India style.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-13)
This is what I found and it really confused me on this story in a lot of ways but as You said maybe Aaru275 can clear things up a little bit.

Thanks Rook

Http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=banshee
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-10-13)
Banshee: noun

1. (in Irish folklore) a spirit in the form of a wailing woman who appears to or is heard by members of a family as a sign that one of them is about to die.

To be honest I can find references to similar 'creatures' in Indian folklore and traditions, but not a 'Proper Irish' Banshee.

I can not find, nor do I remember of hearing about any Indian Folklore concerning a 'Banshee' like spirit and a Tamarind tree.

I did find this however...

"There is a belief that the spirit of the dead resides in the tamarind and the tamarind groves are avoided by night. For this reason and because they are considered to exude unhealthy vapors, there is a prejudice against sleeping in the shade of the tamarind trees."

I am not sure what it means but let's ask the O/P to clarify what they mean. Hope about it... Can you explain?

Respectfully,

Rook
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-13)
I have a question, what exactly is a banshee? I am not making fun or anything I just legitimately don't know. 🤔 Is it something based mainly in India or can they be found anywhere? Kinda makes me think of a very pissed of Poltergeist but worse. It's both very sad and admirable that Your great grandfather was willing to give his life for Your Uncle it just really bites that it came to that.

I have to admit I am a little skeptical on the fact that he just dropped cold right after your Uncle apologized but maybe I shouldn't be seeing that I don't really know anything about a banshee much less how they do things. But for some reason it just doesn't sit right with me. Anyhow, thanks for sharing can someone fill me in please though because everything I'm finding is not adding up.

Lilwolf
Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-13)
Sorry guys I made a mistake she turned her head 180°. And yes even if any animal urinates at banshee's home, she will make it suffer as well.
ghostyanu (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-10-05)
Nice story...
Wishes & Blessings from me to you
Too sad to know that your great grandfather's love for you was so much that he sacrificed himself but don't be sad as he did it for a good purpose.
And I agree with lady glow's question, maybe it's your mistake but I don't mind, it happens.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-10-02)
🤔 Question, if:

"..., He saw a lady sitting on his bed her back was facing his face..."

And:

"...Then he saw something horrifying. The lady turned her face 360 degrees and looked at my uncle angrily. She was snarling at him like a wild animal..."

How is this possible? After turning her face 360°, your uncle would had been facing the back of her head again, wouldn't he? (Sorry, I couldn't resist to make a joke)

Do you know what use do banshees have for human souls?
What happens if a stray dog pees on a tree inhabited by a Banshee? Would it take revenge on the dog?

Anyway, urinating on the street is wrong, so sad to know that your great grandfather had to pay such a high price for your uncle's mistake.
tace (37 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-02)
total sacrifice your great grandfather did giving up his life for his grandson. Sweet love of his family. Even though he was dying, he still gave up what time he had left for his grandson's life.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: