You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Shapeshifter

Real Ghost Stories

Shapeshifter

 

This story happened to my grandpa's sister. My grandpa lived in a village along with his siblings and parents when he was young. His sister was 21 years at that time.

It was Winter evening. She was returning from a neighbours home. The distance between two houses was almost a kilometer. As it was winter the road was covered with mist and wind was very chilly. My grand aunt was carrying a torch in her hand because of the darkness and mist. She was moving quickly. Suddenly her torch focused on something standing in the middle of the road. It was a dark shadow like creature. The scary thing was even when the torch focused on the thing it was pitch black. None of its features were clear only the eyes were visible. They were glowing red. She got startled and moved back. The creature moved towards her. As it was coming closer, it was constantly changing shape. The only thing common was his black texture.

My grand aunt started screaming for help. She ran back towards the neighbours home. When she reached their home it vanished within the mist. The neighbours were surprised to see her panting like that. They asked her to come in. She was reluctant to go out in the night. There were no telephones at that time. So they sent their son to inform my great grandpa about her. My great grandpa came to take her with him.

She didn't speak a single word until morning. In the morning she recited her incident to whole family. My grandpa's grandmother explained that it was a 'Chalawa' (Shapeshifter). It is a kind of notorious spirit that scares people by changing its shape or size. It looks for people who are alone in desolate areas. My grand aunt was alone so she fell prey to it. She was lucky to get away from it.

My grandpa said the incident haunted his sister so much that she didn't go out of house for a week. She is 73 years old but still avoid to stay alone even at home.

Other hauntings by Aaru275

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aaru275, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
Thank you so much for reading my story. I am glad that you guys liked it. Sorry for the late reply.
HunterJack (4 stories) (26 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-22)
Aaru, thanks for sharing the experience. The black apparition is a kind of entity found mostly isolated deserted areas they came to scare the passersby. Its happy to hear that no one is hurt. Really scary 😨
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-17)
I've seen something similar. The first I saw when I was about 14 was a snake man that had arms and legs that was moving like a snake does when it gets its head chopped off and the other I saw when I was about 16 and it was a black foggy mass with glowing red eyes. They didn't look like eyes but more like fire burning but it was bright red. Creepy stuff oh and by the way I loved your story. Thank you for sharing 😊
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-14)
Jester - thanks for the interesting info. Being Chinese (mostly), I don't know too much about Indian languages. But I grew up with Tamil and Hindu friends in Singapore. I also have a few Indian colleagues at work too. I find the Indian culture rich in variety, legends and traditions.

Thanks to Aaru too for introducing the subject.
jester (3 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-13)
[at] sushantkar

And

[at] Jubeele (I'm not sure of your nationality, but since you tried to look up the meaning of "chalawa", I am addressing you.).

"Chalawa" is a well known term (unlike what Sushantkar wrote).

"Chal" comes from Sanskrit meaning treachery.

"Chalawa" means that cheats, does treachery, creates illusions. This is what shapeshifters are.
Any Hindi speaking North Indian is familiar with the word.
kxoshblog (3 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-12)
Does anyone know real tantrik in India
The person who can cure blackamagic victims
The person who do witchcraft in sasaan at night
I am from india please help me
For more information please check my profile
At this rate I will die very soon...
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-07)
Hello, This is totally scary and I can understand how scared your grand aunt would have been that time. I am glad that nobody was hurt. Thanks for sharing.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-05)
Hello Aaruhi! The term Chalawa was pretty new because it isn't the conventional name used here. In Muslim folklore and in their believe, Jinns can also chane their shape as per the requirement and situation even they can change or say acquire animal shape also.
They generally don't harm but may be your grandfather's sister was wearing something or was unluckily at the wrong time and place to encounter chalawa/jinn face to face.
Thanks for sharing. It was a nice read.

Regards.
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-03)
Aaru, your account made me curious, so I looked up "chalawa". Its name means "the one that jumps". According to the reference I found, it is a trickster that can jump great distances, but it isn't known to harm people. Perhaps it only wanted to scare your grand-aunt? But I wouldn't stayed to find out though - I'd have run away screaming too!

Thanks for letting us learn something new. 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-03)
Do you know if the neighbor's son saw the chalawa on his way to your relatives's place or do they scare only women?

It seems that every culture believe in shape shifters, I would need to see one in order to believe though I prefer not to ever encounter one. That would be creepy! 😨

Glad to hear that nobody got hurt.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: