You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Exploding Grey Mist

Real Ghost Stories

Exploding Grey Mist

 

This happened in 2002 when I was living in a small village in North Wales. My then husband and I were using a guest bedroom for a couple of weeks while our room was undergoing some renovations. This was a village centre town house built circa 1880. I always felt it to be a happy warm home.

This night we had retired about 10.30, both of us were awake and reading each with a decent table lamp at the side of us. The room was well lit and both the door and the window were closed. I was laying on my side holding my book up when I first noticed what I first thought was smoke above my book.

My first thought was oh hell I've dropped a cigarette on the bed. (Yes I know, smoking in bed is unfortunately something I still do), I sat up quickly thinking the bedding was on fire when I suddenly realised I hadn't had a smoke since before I had come to bed. Looking quickly round for a source of fire I realised the 'smoke' was hovering just in front of me about a foot above my head.

For want of a better name I've always referred to it as the cloud. It was roughly the size and shape of a standard rugby ball but was most definitely shades of darkish grey getting lighter to the edges. I remember reaching up to try to touch it a few times but it always moved just slightly out of my reach.

I'm not sure how much time had passed before I turned to my husband and asked if he could see it. He said he could see nothing out of the ordinary.

I did physically shake my head and open and close my eyes a few times thinking I may be hallucinating as my husband was still insisting he could see nothing.

The cloud stayed for what seemed like ages then slowly began to move away from the side of the bed towards the wall opposite the bed.

Once it reached the wall it began to swirl and twist crazily,

Moving up, down, side to side faster and faster like a mad dance before suddenly stopping and moving down until it settled at the side of a monitor on a desk.

I can only describe what happened next as an explosion of silver shooting stars like a massive sparkler. It seemed to go on for ages with stars of all sizes shooting out for a couple of feet before disappearing. All of a sudden everything slowed down until there were just small stars exploding. They continued to get smaller and smaller until there was a last big flash. Then nothing. No cloud, no smoke, absolutely nothing left.

I got out of bed and went to the side of the monitor expecting to feel heat but there was no noticeable temperature change anywhere in the room I could find.

By this time I think my husband thought I had lost my mind as apparently as all the stars were shooting out I was saying things like wow, omg, you must be able to see this.

He still swears to this day he saw nothing but I have always suspected he also saw what I saw but he was the sort of bloke who completely disbelieved any sort of ghost or paranormal stories and always pooh poohed any 'such nonsense', though he did say the whole event seemed to go on for nearly half an hour.

To this day I still have no idea what it was I saw apart from I definitely saw it.

My then husband was willing to tell people he watched me watching something he couldn't see (if that makes any sense).

I have never again experienced anything even remotely like this but when it was over I felt incredibly peaceful and went on to have a really restful sleep.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cariadbach, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-22)
Hi Cariadbach,

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience, I don't really have much to add, other than I enjoyed reading about this odd cloud and it's odd behaviour. I thought you may find this encounter of interest. It's some 'curly smoke' moving about, observed by two people and their cat. Gotta love it when the cat gets involved!

Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=21809
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-21)
Greetings, Cariadbach, and welcome to YGS.

As your bedroom was undergoing renovations, you were using a guest bedroom. While this is an entirely practical approach, was the renovation process causing you any anxiety? Were there other stressors in your life at that time? You got a visitor who did not seem to startle you intentionally (e.g.: waiting for you to fall asleep, first) then provided you with a fireworks show in the guest room. After this, you slept well. I'd suggest that your interaction/observation involves a calming/reassuring intelligence who wanted you to be happy. Now, whether it turns out that it was your subconscious mind or it was a concerned spirit, it's still a "win" for you.

(This is the speculative paragraph, so take it for what it is: a guess.) During renovations, people may unintentionally cause negative spiritual activity if the adjustments and improvements are not to the spirit's taste. Occasionally, people make alterations that a spirit believes are improvements and they sometimes have vivid dreams, see calm/relaxed full body apparitions, or receive unexpected presents (like a missing locket, etc.) left in plain view around the house. If this was a supernatural visitor, he/she/it liked what you were doing.

This is a very good, positive experience; you tell it well. I think I'll add it to my favorites list.

Best,
Biblio.

P.S.: Being "open" to your abilities does not need to be a threatening or overwhelming experience. Go to a room where you feel safe, close your eyes, and determine what you can feel in there that makes you feel safe. After a few attempts at this, without leaving the "safe" location, see what you can feel in the next room. Do not push yourself to go any farther than that! This is an exercise in learning what your mind/spirit can do reasonably, because completely ignoring the ability to sense others/things/events can create a sort of spiritual pressure that *may* cause unpleasant or peculiar side-effects.
Cariadbach (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-20)
Hi Cups
No history of migraines, very seldom have a headache or problems with sight/vision.
I have been experiencing orbs since childhood, occasionally coloured but the grey mist experience was so completely different and was why I decided to mention it thinking someone on here may have some insights into it.
I have been told many times I should tune in to my abilities but TBH when I have tried I have found it too overwhelming so stopped trying many years ago.
I have had loads of experiences in my lifetime, I will get round to telling you some of them at some point. Xx
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-20)
Wow that sounds absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful thing to see! Perhaps the entity was distracted or encountered some sort of interference generated by the EMFs emitted by the electronics. Maybe that's what caused the lovely drama of its explosion.

Interesting that your partner didn't see it - maybe believing is seeing.
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-18)
Hi Cariadbach! Thanks for sharing! Cool story... I too love the detail. Now, I'm not trying to discount your experience in any way - I do this with my own - but I do want to ask if you get migraines, and if it may have been a visual hallucination? When I get a bad one coming on, I see auras in my side vision and spots or sparkles when it's REALLY bad. I don't think that's what happened here, given the description, but I'm naturally skeptical (at least I try to disprove weird shiate I've seen). Interesting account...again, thanks for sharing!
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-16)
Cariadbach,

Amazing experience with wonderful details! I'm going to echo Manafon here, the cloud may have been meant for your eyes only. If it was a spirit of some sort, its purpose appeared to be benevolent.

Definitely going in my favorites, thanks for sharing ❤
Dee
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-16)
Wow, what an interesting experience!
I'm sure a house that old has stored a lot of energy and emotions over the years.
Do you know anything about the history of that house?

In my opinion, the spirit in that house was a loving one, hence giving it a happy feeling and you a nice sleep.

Thanks for sharing.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+5
6 years ago (2018-08-16)
Cariadbach - Fantastic encounter very well told. I had a somewhat similar experience with something roughly the same size. The thing I saw seemed to glow and looked like plasma. My wife saw it first and then I saw it when it "splatted" below a window by my side of the bed. It vanished instantly when I turned the light on

It seems likely that what you witnessed was a paranormal event. Was it a spirit attempting a full body materialization? Who knows. It could just as likely have been a spirit trying to get your attention in exactly the way it did. Your noting of how you slept so peacefully afterwards is very pertinent as that's a commonly reported aspect of encounters with spirits. If your husband truly didn't see it it's quite possible that you had a purely telepathic visitation focused solely on you.

Did you ever experience anything else out of the ordinary in that town house? Anything that under a closer scrutiny could be considered paranormal? It seems that whatever it was you witnessed really wanted you to notice it. This would suggest it might have made other possible attempts at getting your attention. Fascinating account. Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: