You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: The Prankster Gets Pranked

Real Ghost Stories

The Prankster Gets Pranked

 

This story happened in the late 80s when I was around the age of 16, I am now in my mid 40s.

Around 6 of us girls were having a sleepover at our friend Monique's house. Just a side note as its important to the story, Monique's family were Dutch and all spoke Dutch fluently.

She lived in the middle of nowhere (the wop wops as we call it here in New Zealand). Her parents were away for the night and it was just us and her older brother, who would have been around 19 at the time. Her brother and his friends were very much at that time, as most teenagers were, into seances (sorry another seance story) and had made up a board with the usual yes/no and had the alphabet made out of scrabble pieces, glass in the middle and it was sitting in the middle of their coffee table still made up.

It was after midnight and Big brother had taken himself off to bed and we were left to our own devices. Of course it didn't take long until our sights were set on this homemade ouija board. Most of us there had never done one except for one of our friends Selina, so she pretty much took charge and soon we were under way with our fingers on the glass trying to see who we could contact. It wasn't long until the glass actually started moving and after a while of asking questions we found out we were talking to a young girl, who's name I have forgotten, who had apparently died in a car accident. Anyway we were chatting to her for a while, all taking turns at having our fingers off the glass to make sure none of us were pushing it, when she started spelling out things that made no sense and the glass began moving faster and faster, then eventually so fast it flew off the table and just as it did a cabinet behind us flew open making a whooshing sound as it did. Of course this scared the heck out of us all and that was it, the end of the seance.

We were all sitting there not really talking just kind of in shock when we realised Monique was crying. We all asked what was wrong but she refused to tell us. Just asked us to go and get her brother, which we did. She was so upset at what happened she slept in her brothers room and we didn't see her until the next day where she still refused to tell us why she had become so upset. It was so out of character, Monique was a pretty tough chick but we all left it at that and we never talked about that night again. Actually none of us kind of hung out together after this incident, not sure why but we all kind of made new friends and only caught up with one another occasionally.

Roll on 20 years, we had all obviously grown up, all had kids of our own, moved away from the area, when we decided it was time to have a catch up. Only three of us where there from that night, including Monique. We were talking about old times and somehow or another the subject of that night came up and we again asked what happened and this is what she finally told us.

Her and Selina had been alone together earlier in the day before the rest of us arrived and they had come up with a plan to use the ouija board to scare us. They were going to take turns pushing the glass etc. It was Monique's turn to take her finger off the glass when it started to spell out stuff that made no sense to us. What we didn't know was that it had suddenly changed from spelling out words in English to words in Dutch, only Monique could understand it. It spelt out something along the lines of be careful or be aware and then spelt out, evil is here and that is when the glass flew off the table, scaring the living daylights out if us. The other thing that had made her so upset was the cabinet. The cabinet was an old antique that they had brought all the way over from the Netherlands and was her Grandmother's. It had all their important documents in it and was locked by using a key. Which apparently had always been kept in her Mum and Dad's room at the other end of the house, so how this cabinet opened that night remains a mystery as does the whooshing sound it made when it opened. I would like to think it was her Grandmother looking out for us but who knows?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kezza011, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FART-EXTERMINATOR (24 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-05-04)
Isn't it strange that huge swathes of teenagers dabble with Oui-Ja Boards, why is that?.

Me and a close cousin of mine were born in the year 1974; anyhow soon after we left school at age 16 he and his mother visited my family home, our mothers went out to the grocery store, while me and my cousin stayed behind, during which he made a make-shift Oui-Ja Board. The glass didn't move by itself, anyhow while we were using it, a sheet of writing paper blew off the top of a 6'ft display cabinet, to which me and my cousin sha* ourselves and screamed, before attempting to run out of the living room, but the 2 of us couldn't squeeze through the door-frame so there was a struggle between us as we both wanted to be the first to exit the living room, eventually we managed exit the living room and ran out into the garden, it was then that our fear subsided and we both burst out laughing at the incident. The most funniest aspect of this incident would have been both of us attempting to squeeze through the doorway, what comedy, anyone watching us both trying to be the first to squeeze through the doorway would have been laughing. Anyhow, as for the sheet of paper that flew off the furniture, I believe that it was caused by the summer breeze, as the windows were open.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-20)
Hi Kezza011, welcome to YGS. Thanks for sharing. Quite an experience. Like Tweed said, it was one of the experiences that had a conclusion.

Hello Tweed, thanks for remembering and welcoming me back.

I have always, in my earlier posts, been warning about using the OB. It is not a sport or game. We don't know what is on the other side of the realm. Now that nothing happened in the last 30 years or so, it is a good surmise as highlighted both Tweed and Rajine that perhaps the spirit of Grandmother of Monique might have protected you guys. Otherwise when you have not closed the Board properly, there certainly would have been negative effects on some of you. Nice that nothing happened to any one of you.

Once again, thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
Hi kezza

I believe that something evil did want to come through, however it was blocked by some benevolent force, perhaps Moniques grandmother? (in reference to the cabinet that had belonged the her)
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
Hi Kezza,

Thanks for sharing, this is one of the best ouija experiences I've read, because it's one of the very few which actually have a conclusion! Well a satisfactory explanation at least. If you were sharing this back in the 80s it would no doubt read like any other teenage ouija session lol.
Glad you got to the bottom of that night. Goes to show how great protective ghosts are, if that's what it was, sounds like it. No idea about the whooshing but it sounds pretty impressive.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-16)
Hello Kezza.

It seems like someone wanted to end that seance ASAP.

Do you still keep in touch with Monique and her brother? I wonder if her brother and his friends ever experienced anything similar when using the OB or if, perhaps, they knew how to perform a proper Ouija session but you girls didn't.

Anyway, I'm glad that this story wasn't the beginning of something more sinister.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: