You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Scary Get Together

Real Ghost Stories

A Scary Get Together

 

I have always had social anxiety (difficulty with talking in groups of people, presentations, crowded events, etc), but in the past few years I've thought back to some experiences that I know were different, as the anxiety I felt was incomparable.

So, my family became friends with another family due to mutual friends, and we started hanging out with them occasionally, because my brother was 8 and their daughter was 9. This was probably about 3 years ago, I was 16 at the time.

Side note: The first time I met their daughter I thought she was way older than she really was, because she was a very tall and heavy built child.

This family threw a Halloween themed get together, and even though I told my mom a thousand times that I really, REALLY did not want to go, (and she knew events with people made me anxious), I was forced to go with. This was the first time I went to their house.

As soon as I got there, I felt sick, uneasy, scared even. I figured the people were making me nervous, and what I was feeling was just me building up to an anxiety attack. But no matter how many times I was asked, I refused to go upstairs where my brother was (and where less people were). I was actually scared to. I didn't know why, because normally that's what I would've done to calm myself (I often flee populated areas that give me anxiety, and my brother is special to me and makes me feel better). Unfortunately he didn't want to join me downstairs.

If I wasn't with the kids, then I was with most of the fairly intoxicated adults outside, or I was just sitting by myself in a corner of the living room. I chose to sit by myself. The whole time I wanted to leave, I just did not feel good. I wanted out of that house so badly. I've never wanted to leave a place more in my life. I was shaking. I wasn't even around that many people, let alone conversing with any, so why was I acting this way? I was feeling tons more anxiety than usual.

Luckily at around 10:00p.m I was able to have a friend rescue me, she picked me up and I stayed the night with her.

What's interesting is what occurred later that night after I had left. My mom told me that she came inside to use the bathroom but she heard yelling and something going on upstairs, and when she ran to check it out, she found their daughter running after my little brother swinging a bowling pin at him, (yes, a normal-sized heavy bowling pin). She was purposely trying to hurt him. She actually did hit him once on the arm and left a nasty bruise. My mom said that when she walked in, the girl was filled with rage.

Of course after confronting the family she was really upset and left, and didn't want to see them again, considering she could've really injured him or even killed him had she hit him on the head with enough force (like I said, this child was heavy built and strong for her age). He was really lucky that she happened to come inside and hear the noise upstairs when she did.

He said that he doesn't know why she got so mad, but that she started acting "freaky" (his way of putting it) and it all happened very very quickly.

About a week later my mom was visiting with our mutual friend that introduced us to them (they weren't able to come to the get together). The topic came up about what had happened and why we chose not to associate with them anymore. She said that that's "creepy" because they've actually recently confided in her, and shared that they've been dealing with "something" in their house that's traumatizing them. They had been seeing a shadow peering out of bedrooms, jumping out at them, and scaring them half to death on a daily basis.

She even said that they got a picture of it. The mother had her phone with her and was in the bathroom with the door open, when this thing started flying back and forth in the bedroom, terrifying her (their room is in fact upstairs). I wish I had gotten the chance to see this picture.

When I heard this I was really shocked, because everything that I was feeling made sense. It explains why I was so scared, especially by the thought of going upstairs. I knew I was way more upset and uncomfortable in that house than necessary, I must have been sensing whatever this negative presence was. And it seems like maybe it was affecting this little girl too.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to comments!

Other hauntings by Aliviashae

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aliviashae, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Aliviashae, you put down your thoughts about the incident very well. Thank-you for doing so because it cleared up some things for me.

As a fellow anxiety-suferee, I thought I could help put things into a perspective which was more in line with normal then the paranormal.

Anxiety is an unpredictable illness and chronic, at it's worst which means it is something that one suffers with daily and it includes multiple side-effects, reactions and secondary psychological components, ranging from mild to severe.

I remember, on one occasion having an anxiety attack while driving and one of the posters on the side of the road started melting and swirling into different colours. For the longest time afterwards, I wondered what created such a bizarre occurrence and if, in any way at all, it could have been paranormal. This episode was mainly psychological which was strange, I can't describe it very well but my mind was racing, thoughts like "why are there so many cars around me, are they here to do something to me?" "I have to pull over otherwise I am going to crash but I might still crash any way". Again, this episode seemed to play more on my mind while suffering the rapid heart beat and inability to breathe.

Other episodes seemed to somehow intensify my emotions while suffering the paranoia and fear.

I am, just, trying to point out that anxiety is a difficult illness to work out and understand. You cannot make "blanket" rules for all anxiety sufferers. It is not precise, identical or clear-cut (perfect & specific).

All that I am saying is that it is a possibility that you were suffering anxiety as a person who does so.

Thank-you for sharing your story and I empathize greatly with what you've been through. I hope, over time, it will improve, (as mine did and I am very fortunate).
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Throughout the entire experience, the thought of the paranormal was the furthest thing from my mind. It wasn't until later on when our friend mentioned what the family was going through that I started thinking that maybe the energy in the house was what made me so frightened. For as long as I've had anxiety, and for as long as I've been anxious about get-togethers, this was the only time I reacted this way or felt that type of panic. Being that the family at the time was also dealing with a profound entity in the home that was actually terrorizing them, jumping out at them, etc... I feel that it's somewhat possible that this presence was affecting me. Unless it really is just a coincidence, and my anxiety really just happened to be out of control that night at that particular house.
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Kikigirl,
I'm not in any way saying that I was having anxiety prior to the event because I "foresaw" the problems. I would've normally had this kind of anxiety about going to any get together. The only thing that was different was how I reacted to being in the house, which was that I felt very scared and did not want to be there, I wanted to leave as soon as possible because I was so uneasy and upset, though I had no reason for this as I isolated myself like I normally would. The level of anxiety I was feeling was unlike any other I had had before.

Secondly, I actually did not "mingle" with anyone. When I first got there I was anxious. I told my mother about it (while she was still inside) and she told me to go upstairs with my brother, and I refused because I was scared. I stated in the story that my only other options were to go outside with the rest of the people, or sit inside by myself, (where there were just a few people) which is what I did, and I did not talk or associate with anyone the whole night. I felt rude in doing so but like I said, I thought I was building up to an anxiety attack (though It was in every way more intense than usual and very frightening). I sat by myself in a corner of the living room and didn't go outside or anywhere else once, nor was I next to or talking with anybody.
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-19)
Aliviashae, can I ask you a few questions:

1. Are you saying that you had the anxiety before the evening because of the paranormal activity during the evening (you somehow "foresaw" the problems)?

2. Are you saying that your anxiety IN the house was due:
A) the "apparition"?
B) the houses energy?
C) the event with your brother?

The reasons I am asking you this is because I suffered from horendous anxiety, at a stage. I was on anti-anxiety medication for anxiety and then, panic attack medication just in case, I had a panic attack during the day as well.

I found, when I started experiencing severe anxiety-attacks (especially severe not just, a light anxiety with irregular breathing and heartbeat light-headedness etc) that my senses were heightened. This was possibly due to the increased adrenaline during an attack.

Perhaps, this incident was purely because of anxiety which you regularly and unfortunately suffered, but, for some reason, you remember it very well as your feelings were out of control and almost obscure, esoteric or mysterious. I feel that your feelings which you had during the anxiety of feeling out-of-place, oppressed and victimized which were then, intensified and heightened by the adrenaline in your bloodstream... All came together and increased the thoughts, ideas, fears and possibilities for you. Ideas like "I feel completely out of place", fears like "I am not wanted here! I don't know by who or by what, but, I feel unwanted, I feel attacked." And possibilities like, "this is just SO much worse, what could be causing me to react like this? This is not normal. This is abnormal. Something is wrong." This mentioned and coupled with your parents providing you with an answer, no matter how strange it may seem or extraordinary, at least gave you an answer. The answer, at least.

The anxiety that you were having still, at least, gave you the ability to walk outside and inside of the house WITH people around you. It didn't completely stop you from being in the house. What I am trying to say is that if you were in a position to move around the house and somewhat "mingle" with people, your anxiety couldn't have been so bad. And, you wrote this post because you said that you have a long-history of anxiety but, very particular, incidents stand out for you. In your mind, these incidents are illuminated and well-recalled.

I would like to say, I do believe that anxiety can be linked to psychic phenomena, but, I just don't see it in this case.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-19)
Hi Aliviashae,

My best friend suffers from anxiety attacks, and whenever she is in a crowded place either we have to step away and go to a less crowded area or she will keep going to to the toilet every 5 minutes or so... So I completely understand your point and given the situation I firmly believe that you'd feel better upstairs. Somehow you felt you weren't safe and it was a good thing, otherwise you could have experienced something very unpleasant. Unfortunately your brother wasn't so lucky, but it could had been worse and I am very happy your mother prevented the worst! Feel sorry for the family though, really hope they got some help.
Anyway, truly enjoyed reading your account! 😁

Blessings.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-16)
An interesting story and I think you are right that it wasn't just a regular anxiety attack getting to you in that house. It makes me wonder if, perhaps, more of your anxiety could in fact be because of psychic sensitivity. Some have found meditation not only a good way of calming anxiety but a useful tool for getting in touch with and gaining more understanding of their psychic abilities. Given that you are in Florida maybe a road trip to Cassadaga (the most psychic town in the world http://www.businessinsider.com/psychic-capital-of-the-world-hidden-in-florida-2015-7) could be helpful... If anything it's sure to be interesting;)

Any way of finding out what has happened to that family in the intervening 3 years? If you can dig up their old address, you could maybe do some research on the house:) good luck!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: