You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Supernatural Activities at the Old Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Supernatural Activities at the Old Apartment

 

Almost 10 years ago I rented an apartment in an area of Worcester, MA called Quinsigamond Village. It was in a three decker house that once was home to many generations of Swedish immigrants that worked in the mills nearby. Thinking I had a really sweet deal on rent for such a huge place with so much charm, I quickly signed the rent papers and moved in.

This place boasted an old cast iron bathtub with the lion's feet and a built-in china cabinet. It didn't take long to realize that things weren't exactly right in this place. I was single at the time and lived by myself. My first experiences started off as little things; a fawcett left on, a picture I had hung being upside down, or a coffee cup I could have sworn being left on the kitchen table would be in the bathroom, etc. I attributed these experiences to my own carelessness but still felt they were kind of odd.

One night I awoke to the phone ringing in the kitchen only. The phone in the bedroom did not ring and the caller ID was not picking up the call. I still thought this was kind of odd but again wrote it off as just one of the quirks of living in an old building with old wiring. I awoke another night to the sounds of shattering glass. I ran to the window and did not see a thing. It was so loud that I thought someone else surely would be up at their window investigating, but there was no one. The next morning I inspected the area and didn't find so much as a shard anywhere.

A few months later I was getting up to make coffee and felt a cold breeze. It was the middle of winter and the window was open in the pantry. Being an old house, the kitchen had a long walk-in pantry with a window at the end. My Dad tried to tell me that the vibration of traffic going down the street had raised the window. I really wanted to believe this. It happened again but this time in the bathroom. I would also hear what sounded like the front door opening and upon inspection would find the door still locked like I had left it.

Perhaps the scariest things that happened were one day while home from work sick, I was sitting in the living room watching a movie. The sofa was against one side of the wall with the closet door next to it. All of a sudden I saw something out of the corner of my eye move along the baseboard with great speed. It appeared to be white. It disappeared behind the chair in the opposite corner and then reappeared just as fast from the other side before disappearing under the TV stand. My blood went absolutely cold. I have never felt a sensation like that before and I hope to never again. I stayed on the sofa with my eyes peeled to the TV stand. I wanted to believe it was a mouse and that maybe I had spooked it instead of the other way around.

After what seem like an eternity, I mustered up the guts to inspect the back of the TV stand. I hopped onto the chair and tilted the stand forward to see if there was anything behind there. I couldn't see anything. I knew by my body's reaction that I had just witnessed something very unusual. I started to cry. I didn't know who to call. Who would believe this? I also became angry. I walked from room to room and called out to whoever it was that they had to leave. I also recited the Lord's Prayer out loud. That night I dreamt that I was chasing something that I couldn't see around the apartment. When I woke the next day I felt as if the air had lifted. Unfortunately it did not last.

About a week later I came home from work and was making the trek up to the third floor when I started to feel very uneasy. I inserted the key into the door and a large spark flew out of the metal door knob. It literally left a red mark on my thumb and hurt like heck. I walked into the kitchen and felt a very awful presence. I could not see a thing but I suddenly felt terrified. Again I recited the Lord's Prayer out loud, the entire time thinking that I was going to be lifted off the ground by some unseen force. I was actually holding on to the back of the chair. Finally it went. I slept with the lights on and wondered if I should just get the heck out of there.

The last really frightening thing that happened before things started to die down, happened that Spring. Being young and single, I spent a lot of time going to bars and clubs in Boston. I would pack a bag, head east on the Mass Pike and then crash on a friend's sofa until Sunday. I had three ferrets at the time and before leaving I would make sure their cage was secure and that they had plenty of food and water for the weekend.

I returned one Sunday and when I opened the kitchen door, there was an empty milk jug sitting upright in the center of the floor directly in view of the door. It had somehow moved over the hard wood floors and over the lip of the throw rug I had under the kitchen table. The milk jug had been in a box I kept for recycling. Then one of my ferrets walked by. All three were out of their cage. I went to their room and found the center door of their condo cage wide open. I never used that door as they were always at the top or the bottom -never the middle. They had no access to their food or water all weekend. Had one of them pushed the door open somehow? Had they managed to work the milk jug out of the box, scoot it across the floor, over the rug while it remained upright? There could have been a logical explanation for this one I suppose but to this day it has me baffled.

I moved out in September 2001. At that point most things had stopped. I had worked with a man that claimed to be a psychic. He had a near death experience after being struck by lightening and says he was left with these gifts. He told me that my apartment was a highway for spirits and they were attracted to a grid that ran underneath the building. I don't even read my horoscope so this was all very bizarre to me. I don't know why I even stayed there so long. I guess I'm just very stubborn (or crazy).

When I finally packed up the living room during my move to Arizona, I moved the TV stand completely. There, tucked in a corner underneath the stand, was a little white power ball... The kind that you get out of a bubblegum machine for a quarter. I felt a shiver run down my spine. Needless to say, the power ball stayed behind in the house. I stayed in touch with the other folks occupying the other floors for awhile. Although one lady admitted there were spirits there, I did not hear of anyone else experiencing what I did. I've since lost touch. Thanks for reading. I know this was very long.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

reader (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hi, enjoyed reading your story, it was told very well. Normally when its to long I don't finish reading it, but yours was very intresting so couldn't let it go. Take care.😁
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
Hi Ohiowatha,
A power ball is a small rubber ball that you can get out of a gumball machine at the grocery store for about a quarter (US). I had them as a child. They can bounce very high (hence the name "powerball"). My sister and I would try to bounce them over the roof of our house growing up. They are roughly the size of quarter or so. I hope that is helpful.

Jennifer 😁
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
This white ball you found behind the TV--a "power ball..." What is a "power ball," please?
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-29)
Hi Jennifer. HOW HORRIBLY FRIGHTENING! To have to live in a place like that! Especially ALONE! It sounds DEFNITELY like a portal and an intelligent haunting. Thank God you are rid of that place!

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-29)
I really enjoyed your story! I agree with everyone else here. I too have lived in a haunted place, and my parents still live there. One day I will write about it and you may see there are similar feelings about these experiences.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-29)
I really enjoyed your story! I agree with everyone else here. I too have lived in a haunted place, and my parents still live there. One day I will write about it and you may see there are similar feelings about these experiences.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-29)
Hi.What a great story! I agree with flutter. If something is so cheap then its either in need of repairing or the owner is not telling us everything. Well I'm glad that there isn't anything happenig now I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-28)
Hi all,
Thanks for reading my story. The psychic I was talking to at the time would 'clear' the apartment. He had a pendulum with a crystal on the end and somehow this was clearing the apartment of spirits (?). The unfortunate part is that others would return. So maybe it really was some kind of spiritual highway?

One thing I left out was that my landlord was a single Mom in her late 30s. She told me her husband had passed away and not wanting to be rude I didn't ask her of what. Apparently he had hung himself in that very basement. Also, one of the two ladies on the 2nd floor admitted to practicing witch-craft. She was a nice person but I don't think she realized what she was getting into.

I also experienced that sleep paralysis condtion. However, I was on my side and I could not speak, move, or even open my eyes. I felt a hand move through my hair and down my side. It felt like there was pressure on me like someone was trying to push their way into me. Possession? I screamed in my head, "no, no, no!" Then I prayed. It stopped. I opened my eyes and there was complete peace and sunshine in the bedroom. Ohhh, it still gives me chills! Thanks for reading everyone!
Jennifer ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-28)
It certainly sounds as if you lived in a very active apartment! I am not sure what a grid would be under the house, I guess I haven't heard of that before.

It does bring saddness that there may be so many stuck on this plane attached to the apartment, or... Perhaps it was a portal of somekind that served as a pass through. That would be frightening! Living in an apartment where you would have no idea what waws coming or going. Perhaps this is the reason why after the prayer you said only lasted a few days, others were passing through.

I would be very curious to know some of the history of the house and/or land.

Great story! Thanks for sharing with us.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-28)
Jennifer welcome to the site. I don't need to tell you how frightening your experience was. I'm happy you're out of there but sad for those "trapped" in that house. You said the psychic told you that they were attracted to the grid. Did he attempt to help them cross? I know it's been a long time you've had that experience but I suppose it's not one you can ever forget, is it?
Take care 😊
Shenny (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-28)
Dear Jennifer,
YOur story gave me the creeps, I'm happy for you that you moved. I hope all's well.

Take care and Good Luck always.
Shenny
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-27)
It seems to me that sometimes the reason that an apartment or condo or house has rent so cheap is for people like us, who don't know it's haunted would think it's a great deal. I did in "Basement Apartment". It was cheap but it also came along with things I just couldn't imagine and was not such a deal after all with the low rent.
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-27)
What a creepy story. I remember when I moved into my garage apt, I couldn't sleep the first couple of nights; you know being in a different place, although it was my home I still had to get adjusted. I asked my landlords if they had any problems with paranormal and they said "no". But I have had close friends that got a condo in Oceanside that was very cheap and very haunted. I will post that story soon, it happened to my adopted mom. It was very freaky you will have to read it, I think you will like it. Thank you for your story. 😉 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: