You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our First Place Together

Real Ghost Stories

Our First Place Together

 

As soon as I graduated from high school, my sweetie Jeff and I were hell bent to move out on our own ASAP. So we decided to move out that summer with a mutual friend of ours, we'll call him Rob.

It was the summer of 1999, and the house Rob and Jeff found was an adorable two bedroom with a large kitchen and dining room. I loved it for its hardwood floors and country feel. I loved that there was farmland across the street and past our huge back yard. The back yard had a small grape vine and a giant, ancient cherry tree. The cherries were awesome! The grapes were okay tasting.

One thing that disturbed me was the memory of a crime scene at this residence the year before. There was crime scene tape around the house for at least a month. I remember having to stop as cops waved traffic through. Regardless of the concern I moved in. I was on speaking terms to with the neighbor to the left, and she said that there was a bad drug deal there the year before and a young black man had died there in one of the bed rooms. I automatically assumed it was the smaller bed room occupied by Rob. We all know what they say about assuming! She also said that the landlords mother used to own the place, and died there of natural causes. I knew she had lived there from the landlord as he bragged about how she had decorated the place. I really think she protected me there.

The first instance I had with a ghost/encounter to paranormal in that house was the very first night I stayed there. Rob and I decided to stay so we could get and early start on unpacking as Jeff had to work the next morning. Sometime during the night while I was sleeping, Rob's dumb butt closed the door while we had a large kerosene heater in the room. I faintly remember waking a little feeling hot and strange and falling back to sleep, almost like I was unable to wake up. Then I heard my name being called over and over along with wake up, and it sounded like my mom. Finally I woke up, got up, opened the door and lay back down. I slept maybe an hour or two more as the sun was up in early morning when I finally got out of bed with a head ache. I moved the heater out of the room, and got myself going for the day, hot tea and ibuprofen!

I really liked living there despite the lack of real closet and storage space. I didn't see shadows or anything, but a lot of times I would see things darting around in the corner of my eyes. I did get a full body apparition out of the corner of my eye. It was in the kitchen when I was making a large meal for the company that night. I saw an old woman with short gray and white hair and a light pink and light blue flowered moo moo (old lady pajamas). I turned and looked, and she wasn't there. I turned back to the pork roast with sauerkraut and she was back. I looked again, nobody, and she was out of my peripheral. Considering I was making a "Yankee" meal and she would have been an old southern lady, I felt like she was wondering what in the world I was doing to that pork!

I would get a tremendous feeling of being watched while in the master bed room Jeff and I shared. This feeling was particularly intense while I was alone in the room. It is strange I would also think I'd see things in my dresser mirror here, and that has only happened at my mom's as well, but not where I currently live, which is also haunted.

After living there a few months, a night came when I was trying to go to sleep while Jeff, Rob and some friends were all in the living room playing video games. The feeling of being watched was worse than ever! It was emanating from the black reaches of the closet. Well I got the bright idea that I would see if there really was something there by confronting it. "If you are here and can understand me, give me a sign, like sitting at the end of the bed or something..."Very shortly after I said that, there was the distinct feeling of someone plopping down next to my foot. I froze. I hadn't really expected an answer. I could see a definite indention on the bed. Then the thing started moving! Through the light coming in through the cracked open door and the window behind the bed, I could see the covers pulling slowly at my side as if someone were inching up the bed. Every hair on my body stood up and I held my breath. I thought I heard crackling breathing that wasn't my own. As it reached my elbow, in a fit of adrenaline and fear, I shot up like a rocket and bolted into the living room full of guys in nothing but a t-shirt and panties! I had tears in my eyes, "There's something in there! There is something in there!" I repeated trembling. The guys all jumped up grabbing brooms and mops thinking there was a rodent or squirrel or something. I let them explore saying I thought I saw it in the closet feeling embarrassed knowing I would be ridiculed for ghost stories if I told the truth. I told Jeff later when the hunt was over what happened but he brushed it of as a bad dream. I told him you had to be sleeping to have a bad dream but he didn't pay any attention to me. I told nobody else after that. But that night I stayed up late with the guys having a couple of beers! And I made Jeff switch sides of the bed with me!

The next day when I was alone, about to go to work, I told the spirit to never do that again, and to go home to the light. And if it didn't go, at least quit watching me so darn bad! I still felt watched though.

Another thing to happen there revolved around Jeff. His personality did a 180. He was fine the first four months or so. But more and more he turned into a real jerk and would freak out over absolutely nothing. His temper became something to never reckon with. He would blame me for things that happened in the house that I had nothing to do with and was obviously so to everyone else. He would call me names, and even came close to hitting me once. After we moved it is like he was back to his normal self. He was a completely different person in that house. And we had been together for three years prior and for nine years since without incident like that, so it wasn't like I was getting to know the real him or something.

When we moved, we had a friend who worked in the carpet business, and replaced the carpet in the bedroom for us so we could get our security deposit back. (I forgot about a huge candle I left burning and it made a giant wax spot.) We helped him, since Jeff used to lay carpet, and ripping it up is easy. When we ripped up the carpet there was a massive stain on the floor that really looked like blood to me. I did always find it odd that it was the only room in the whole house that was carpeted.

The sad thing is, Jeff brings that house up now and again and says that he wishes we could have stayed there. He is about to start a better job in the fall, and we will be in the market to rent a new place or even buy. He is hoping we can get that house again. It's almost like he's drawn to that place! I just hope the people who are there stay there! I am not moving back!

Other hauntings by faerielike

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, faerielike, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lexie4308 (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-20)
I was watching a show about a machine that can read people's energies and I can't recall right off the bat the person that came up with this but they came up with a theory that if someone experienced an extremely traumatic experience, such as the young man getting killed in the bedroom, the energy that they felt can leave an imprint on the property it happened. I think it was called the imprint theory or something like that, I'm sorry I can't remember but another part of the theory is that the energy that left an imprint can influence how people feel and act. I think that would definitely explain why your sweetie did the personality change. Considering this was posted over a year ago you may have already figured this out but I felt like I should put my two cents in anyway:) Love your stories.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
😆 Yeah I definately did get it! And I have never asked for a sign since without preparing myself for a response first! As for going back, my foot is down! I am not going back there to live! I do have a bit of a morbid curiosity to go there though just to check the place out. I did notice that it does appear that someone else has moved in there. Glad it's not me! 😁
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
I'm not at all surprised that when you "challenged" this thing in your head, you received a response. No offense, but you sorta got what you were indeed asking for, huh?! 😆 I only joke because I once did the same thing, though my response was less clear than yours.

For both your sakes, I hope you don't go back. But for real, level with Jeff and let him know straight up and adamantly what you think was going on. He'll believe you.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Small world! You are the second person I have met on here that is familiar with the area I live in! Before my family moved here years ago, I had never heard of the place. This town really does make the mind wander to the past. 😊
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
Faerielike- I know Oxford very well, as I live in South Boston, VA which is not that far away from you. I use to go through there to get to Raleigh, that's been years ago and probably would not know where to go now. Hopefully, the rent will be more than what you are willing to pay. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
Thank you! I am happy I could be of entertainment! Heh heh!
Yeah I really got the impression that it was the young man who I encountered on the bed because I was scared and I hadn't felt scared at all encountering the old lady. I considered it might have been the old woman as I do know she died of emphysema, and thought the crackling breathing could have been her. But thinking about it, I only felt the way I felt in that encounter when I was in that room, just not as scared or threatened, just very uncomfortable. And when I think about it, that room was always cold, even in the summer down here in the hot and muggy south, with a small broken window the landlord never fixed.
In the kitchen I would feel watched sometimes, but it was definitely much friendlier. As if I had company, not an intruder!
I wish I could have gotten them both to move on, but I was just a youngin' back then and didn't know what I was doing to even attempt to do it.
As for moving, luckily I am the only one with time enough to go house hunting. He will only get to see the final results of my search!
Thank you all once again! I am looking forward to reading more of everyones' stories! 😁
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
I have heard of houses changing people's personality. Let us remember the famous story of the Lutz family in Ammityville as one of the best known ones. I don't think it was the lady who was present in the kitchen as the one that was in your bedroom. If a young man died there violently it was probably his spirit you encountered. Don't know if he meant to be scary but maybe just wanted some attention. He may be afraid to move to the Light considering the reason for his demise. It would have been nice if you or someone else could have helped him move on but easier said than done I suspect. No way would I even consider moving back to that place and hope your partner respects how you feel about that issue. You may be sensitive and have experiences where ever you live and it seems like you are ok with this. Sounds like it takes a lot to rattle you so I'm sure you will be fine no matter where you live but if it has an adversed reaction to someone else in the house than that's enough reason to avoid what you know can be detrimental. Put your foot down on this one and stick to your guns. Hope you find the house of your dreams and not your nightmares.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
Hi faerielike. I enjoyed your story very much. I guess it seems pretty obvious who was hanging around that place. I also think it was the landlord's Mom who was waking you to move the heater and sitting on your bed. I think the death of the young man when it was a drug house affected your hubby in a negative way. The young man would be hostile, he didn't have a very nice end to his life. Your hubby was affected by this and reacted badly.I'm glad things worked out for the two of you, moving was a good thing. Put your foot down if Jeff tries to get you to move back there. Thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed it.
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
I don't blame you. I wouldn't move back either. Especially if it turned my husband into a jerk.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
To bette the place is in Oxford, NC. This town is VERY old and full of historic houses dating back to the late 1800s. We have a lot of those historic site signs around town and on the older homes. I did do a blessing in that house a few months after I was there, the first one I ever did actually. It probably would have worked better if I had used frankincense instead of lavender insence!:) I just don't want to live there again, no closet space, and I have a son now. I need storage regardless of whether the place is beautiful, and haunted or not.:)
Rhodes I never thought it could be the old woman on the bed. Could have been! Though I really only ever felt her presence in the kitchen and dining room. But then again it could have been her the morning Rob had the kerosene heater in the room. I did ask Jeff why he wanted to live there so bad, and he just says it is a nice place for a good price. I remind him that the prices of everything has gone up lately so it is probably higher rent now. Jeff insists that he has never had a paranormal experience. He said strange things have happened before, but nothing he could not explain away. He is a huge skeptic, though the show "Ghost Hunters" with TAPS really gets him second guessing himself. EVPs really freak him out.
One of his friends did say something to him about his personality change, but he blamed it on me, (which was part of the personality change!) Gradually a lot of our friends just stopped coming over altogether because we started fighting a lot. Ghost or no, I was not going to put up with that kind of behavior!
Thank you all so much for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed my story! That is the last paranormal experience of mine, that I can remember, but you never know I do still live in a haunted apartment! Nothing has happened for a month or so, and I do hope it stays that way! Though a nice ghost wouldn't bother me too much! 😉 ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
I agree with you and Rhodes, I certainly would not want to move back into that place again!

Thank you once again for a wonderful story! I love the details.

One question, was Jeff ever aware or did anyone ever confront him regarding his personality differances in that house?

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
Another great story Faerielike!

I would have to agree with you, let's hope the present occupants of that house stay there.

I suspect that because of what happened in that house, there was a lot of negative energy affecting Jeff but since nothing really threatening happened to you, it would be safe to assume that there were two very distinct spirits:possibly that of the mother, if she was the one on your bed that day, who had the courtesy to stop terrifying you, and that of the younger man whose anger was still evident even after his death.

I'm curious though, has Jeff ever mentioned anything about his own experiences in that house? Have you ever asked him what draws him to that house?
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
Faerielike-Thanks for the story. If you don't mind me asking, what part of NC did this happen in, I'm just curious?. There probably is something there, just from the experiences that you describe in your story. If you do have to move back into the house, why don't you have it blessed before moving back in? Just a thought!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: