You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Repressed Memories

Real Ghost Stories

Repressed Memories

 

Having studied the arts of health and taking psychology, I know that we repress memories, and sometimes those memories surface when either we are old enough to understand, or maybe it isn't so scary anymore, or simply they just pop up.

Recently, I was lying with my son, trying to get him to sleep, and as I did, I was trying to remember as far back as I could. What can I say? I was bored! Well, one of these long lost memories came to mind.

I lay in bed with my eyes closed, re-living each childhood memory, from most recent, on back, and further back I go, just relaxing, and replaying those thoughts in my mind as if they were real. My body lay loose and relaxed, almost in a state of sleep when...

I was lying in my crib sleeping and it began to shake. Not violent, but like someone would do to your shoulder to rouse you. Intermittent and quick, urgent in a sense. I remember crying, and standing up. I could see my parents sleeping in their bed, and remember the thunderous sound of my father snoring. I looked down the hallway, lit palely by the bathroom light, and saw a shadowy figure coming my way. It was a big fuzzy person, but pitch black shadowy. And this thing was huge! It stood from floor to ceiling, and I even remember it ducking under the threshold of the doorway! I cried a little louder. My parents slept soundly.

This figure came to the edge of my crib, the end closest to the hall, and it disappeared. I looked back to my sleeping parents, and I saw flames in a waste basket next to my parents' bed! I screamed bloody murder! Crying as hard as I could! My mother jumped up out of bed, picked me up, and tried to soothe me. I cried louder. As her consciousness rose, I remember her screaming to my father, "Glenn! Wake up! Fire! Wake up!" He jumped out of bed, and raced to the hall.

And that is where my memory ends.

I told this to my mother, and she confirmed there was a fire in our apartment when I was about 18 months old. The sleeping arrangements I described to her in more detail were the same. The only variance is that the fire was not in the bedroom as I remembered, but was in the kitchen where she forgot to turn off a pot of stew, filling the house with smoke. The funny thing is, she said she doesn't remember there being any smoke upstairs, just that awful smell of good food burning.

I wonder if that black figure was one of the reputed shadow people, or an angel. Maybe they are one in the same? Regardless, nothing was damaged. Just some smoke stains around the stove. We were awoken in the nick of time!

She doesn't recall any other odd incidence in that place of residence. But they didn't live there very long either; it was only a six-month lease. She said she was glad something must have been there to wake us up!

Other hauntings by faerielike

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, faerielike, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
I've also studied psychology, repressed memories is a theory and not a proven fact. It depends on which psychologist your particular beliefs on psychology align with. I personally do not believe in repressed memories, only forgotten ones or choosing to forget (which is not the same as repressed as you consciously do it). This account is very interesting (and well written) and as I do believe you remembered something from an early age, its very uncommon for children below the age of two to remember anything because they don't have language skills. There are always exceptions to the rule and obviously you are one of those, since you even checked with your family to verify the account.

Enjoyed the read, thanks for sharing. I'd be really interested to know if you have any more experiences both from a psychological and paranormal standpoint
markj7 (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
I trust your story and the experience also. I had a tramatic experience losing 2 friends during a fire accident when I was 20 and my mind blocked the memories. I spent 3 years in therapy trying to recall those memories and I only blocked 2 hours of that night. I can see why you never remember this occuring until the effort was made to recall it. A second thought, maybe that's why babies cry. Maybe they are experienceing something paranormal and not just hungry, messy or attention. I'm going to try the earliest memory recovery method you used. Sounds interesting and educational. Thanks for the story.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
Amazing story faerielike, going right into my fav's 😁 I believe in your story very much as I also had an encounter with a repressed memory. The ordeal was so traumatic for you at that time being so young your brain went into protection mode and filed the memory away. That black shadow was very helpful to you and your family knowing that you would scream and cry loud enough to wake up your parents before the fire got out of hand. Thank you for sharing your story. 😊
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
[at] faerielike,
I have to agree with the others, I believe this truly happened. What really sinches it for me is that the dark, huge, shadow figure was there to help, not harm or frighten, but to warn your family of the danger at hand.
Thank you for sharing this, I enjoyed the read.
juju92 (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-06)
really interesting story... That happen just once?right?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-05)
faerielike: This is pretty cool, huh?...Yeah, I think the shadow was warning everyone 😊...I think your memory of it was off only a little, which goes to show one of the reasons some of us are so up on keeping journals... Time can distort some memories, as I'm sure you're well aware! 😆

Great account!...Thank you for posting...

Scary: Ummmm, huh?...You're going to sic your THEY on someone whose screen name is "BadJuuJuu"?...I wonder: have you been reading and posting on the sister site for psychics?...Sounds very familiar... 🤔
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-05)
We are aware that you are not responsible for anything paranormal that happens. After all, Shini and I both have had our share of paranormal events far before you came along. You weren't responsible for those, and you won't be responsible for the ones in the future.
Take care.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-05)
Hello there, Scary. Wanna know what's scary? I am THEY. Oh yeah, and THEY don't like useless copy and paste comments that no one really cares about, because it has nothing to do with the story. So just remember... When you're in front of your computer, and you think about it, or for that matter, when its dark and you're alone... And you hear a tap or a creak... THEY know and THEY'RE there...

Hi, Faerielike! Your story was very interesting! I too, have studied psychology and find it to be interesting.
I also like how you didn't assume that it was anything bad, because it was a black figure.

Thanks for sharing!

Au revior.

😊 ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-05)
The moment I do what you tell me to do? Lolwhut? Ok forget THEY. Who exactly do you think YOU are?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-05)
Ok, I have to ask, who are THEY? How do you know THEY are correct? And why are THEY worthy of all caps?

This comment from scary22 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

BadJuuJuu (guest)
+5
13 years ago (2011-02-05)
I very much enjoyed this story. I also think it shoots about a million holes in the popular "if it's a dark color it's a demon" idea. Actually, that's why I love this account. 😊
Scary, could you chill on the copy-and-paste jobs?

This comment from scary22 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-04)
faerielike,

Thank you for sharing this story.

It is amazing what you can learn through certain studies. Whislt I loved your story, my son is doing psychology I will have to ask him about some of this. You have got me interested.

Thank you once again.

Surya

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: