You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Spirits Or My Active Imagination?

Real Ghost Stories

Spirits Or My Active Imagination?

 

As a young boy, aged 8 or 9 it's pretty fair to say that I had a vivid imagination. Perhaps ideas rolled around in my head that a "normal" kid wouldn't have thought of and I was pretty much a day dreamer.

At night, when I'd go to bed I'd fall asleep within minutes. I wasn't a heavy sleeper as you'll find out.

I'm not too sure when it all started as I'm now a 24 year old man and it was many years ago but around the age of 8 I started to wake up in the middle of the night. My 2 brothers slept in the same room as me but never seemed to wake so I always wondered why I was the only person to be woken by whatever this was.

Anyway, to get to the point, one night I woke up, I'm not sure of the time but it was pitch dark, I couldn't see a thing in the room, so I turned over and tried to get back to sleep. Nevertheless, I tossed and turned for a few minutes (normally I slept with my face to the wall) until when I turned I noticed a boy sitting on the end of the bed in blue and white striped pajamas. He was about the same age and staring at me, smiling.

When I think back now, he wasn't threatening, he just sat there with his hand on the bed beside me, as if to say "come over!" but as a child it's much more frightening and so I just remember turning over and looking away. By the time I turned back round he was gone, although I did have to muster up the courage to turn round and check.

After these experiences (I'm sure these experiences had happened long before this but this was the first significant one that I remember.)

I'd rush into my mum and dads room and stand there, frozen to the spot until they'd sense me and wake up. Then, I'd sleep in their bed for maybe a half hour before they'd make me go back to my own bed. I guess I'd fall asleep after that and wake in the morning thinking nothing of it. I was also never afraid to go to bed, despite this being a re-occurring incident.

I'm sure I probably came across more but two other characters stood out. One who I seen more frequently than the other was a man, comical looking now but back in the early 90's when I was a child he was more like a Hell's angel, which I'm sure you'll agree is a pretty scary picture for a child.

Although I felt he paid no attention to me, I still look back now and feel that he was so unapproachable. He'd dress in dark pants (perhaps jeans or leathers, I'm not sure) a black leather waistcoat but his distinguishing feature was his rather large Mohawk, very punk-esque looking. He was probably the person I seen the most of as he still sticks in my mind today.

But by no means did he scare me the most. That title had to go to a man, a man who I only encountered once.

One night as I slept in bed, my dad woke me shuffling about at the top of the stairs. The layout of the beds had been changed and my bed was at another corner of the room as my mum thought it might help me sleep a little better and "keep my imagination at bay" if the light from the window was directly facing me (why she thought this I don't know, but mother knows best) The door was slightly open so a slither of light was getting through into our room.

My brother got out of bed to use the bathroom when all of a sudden appeared a frail man, sitting in some kind of chair (The chair wasn't mine, I'd never seen it before). He wore blue, that's all I remember and he had a light grey beard that almost grew down into a point.

I looked at him for what felt like forever, he stared back, I think I was frozen; he'd unsettled and frightened me so much that I jumped straight out of bed and ran out of the room. I never told my parents.

That was probably the last incident, well, that I remember anyway. I guess I'm doubting whether it was real or not because my parents always used to tell me I was imagining it or they'd tell me I was half sleeping but I know what I saw. And despite my mum being a skeptic, she always did say that I looked like I'd seen a ghost every night I'd appear in her room frightened.

I never thought much of it until I came on this site yesterday and signed up, but people are much more open minded here and it's good to get their opinions on it, it'll help me relate to it better, no doubt. I'm so unsure about it but I know what I saw.

Who thinks it is and who thinks it isn't?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gamst, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Uh, Forbidden_Love? Was this comment made for this story or is it accidentally on the wrong page?
Forbidden_Love (42 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
excuse my language but bloody hell how the hell would you know I'm lying perhaps I'm not a very secretive person... Perhaps I fell into "It's" trap so no one would bloody hell help me... They have minds yah know... You wouldn't know, you were never there... Have you ever told people before, and they didn't believe you?
Ha!Because not everyone will believe you there's always a doubt from at least someone...
Oh and ps. I'm a girl, thought I made that clear...
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-10)
Thanks ChrisB! Nice to get some feedback. You know, I just thought it more normal when I started to read people's stories, that perhaps I had actually seen these spirits and it wasn't my imagination so thought I'd throw the story out there and see what you guys thought. I'm glad I did now.
I guess that it was strange because I saw three spirits (that stuck in my mind anyway, there could have been more) and always found that strange because 2 of them didn't look liek people who would live around where I lived, that coupled with the fact that my house was a relatively new house also so they couldn't have died in the house. Suppose spirits just wonder sometimes and find themselves in different surroundings than that of where they lived.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-10)
Hi and welcome to YGS. It is so nice of you to join us. The way you described thiongs tells me that you realy did see spirits and I am sure of that. Others claim they have seen spirits but they never try to explain it in a rational way. You still are confused in what you saw and that's normal. I do the same thing. Sometimes it takes me years to understand what realy happened. But here people will heklp you with that. In one of mny stories I was positive that I had an over activie imagination when I wasa kid but people here explained to me thjat this was sometyhing more. Just like I want to say this to you. This was something more. I hope you have othere stories to tell because I am looking forward to rading it. I hope to hear from you soona and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
Hello gamst. For what it's worth, when thinking back on the experiences I had as a child- if I have to ask myself "was it my imagination", it most likely was. On the other hand, if I can say without hesitation that I saw something, then I'll swear to it as being real.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and for the record - I think you saw them. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
Oh, and piscesgirl story was one of the first stories that I read on here. Quite an unusual story how she describes it but she describes it very well and provides us with a good insight into what happened.
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
Thanks for the heads up succubiluv, I had a look and posted a comment on each. I thought the MY INCUBUS STORY was going to be a graphic story my friend, was highly disappointed, lol.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
Hey gamst;
There's another story on here that's been bashed left and right but it's one of the most popular according to the YGS stats page. The story is called SEX WITH A GHOST. When you get a chance, read it and see what YOU think about it. 😆 😕 🤔
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
HA HA:
Did you look at MY INCUBUS STORY again?
Codare supplied some more posts since yesterday.
Take a look if you have'nt...
Have you read the story by piscesgirl called
STRANGE SEXUAL EXPERIENCE WITH A SPIRIT BEING? I emailed her about it last month. Interesting case.
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
Let me tell you succubiluv, your story is probably more believable than forbidden love's!
He's probably sitting having lunch with the whole family before they sit down and play a game of monopoly. Then tonight it's movie night with Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey being the DVD of choice!
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
Looks like you're right, gamst.
I can't find the stories either.
I think a ghost with a white face and a scythe must've taken 'em!

PS: He probably bumped into his pc keyboard on the way to the site and fell into a bucket of water on his way back out!
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
I actually went on this morning, succubiluv, around 8:50 GMT. I'd seen the comments that yourself and whitebuffalo had posted. I replied to whitebuffalo and came back on an hour later only 2 find that the total amount of stories had decreased by 2. I can't find "is there something in the room?" and I presume "is there something in my room?" has gone also.
Whoever deleted the stories, thank you, much appreciated.
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
Hi gamst,
First thank you for posting your experiences. I'm sorry, this might be a lengthy comment. When I was 8 years old I had my first paranormal experience. The room I was in had been used by my parents and older siblings before I was moved into it. I can't remember how long I had been using the room when this occured. It was late one night I had been sound asleep when for no reason I woke up and sat straight up in bed. At the foot of my bed there was a young man dressed in, what I thought at the time, a white choir robe trimmed in gold. He was clean shaven with long blonde hair. He was standing with his arms out a little from his body with his palms turned towards me. And there was a glow around him that lit the entire room. Now as I said everyone else in the house had used this room and none of them experienced anything at all. So I don't think it was strange for you to see these entities and your brothers not to; I think they chose you to reveal themselves to. Again I'm sorry for the length, hope it helped. Best wishes and God bless. 😁
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
gamst, take another look at the IS THERE SOMETHING IN THE ROOM page right quick.
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
Well, you seem quite knowledgable about the succubi so maybe a follow-up would interest and educate others on the site.

Hope to read it sometime soon, Succubiluv.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
I don't know about that, gamst.

I see so many experiences that are like mine, I can't see the point in adding any more to the stack. I could muster about 4 more including the posted story's followup.
But there's nothing special about them in the least.
Besides, they don't really interest me now.
The succubi interest me greatly.
Appreciate your interest, though.
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
Oh, succubiluv, perhaps you could tell us sometime of your experiences as a child. I enjoyed your original story about the succubus.
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
I went by what my brothers thought in later years. They knew I had the issues I had when I went to bed at night. As I said, they slept in the same room and one was a year younger, one a year older so they were around the same age, yet they never seemed to experience these images that I had. I've never seen anything since and had I not experienced what I did with Miss Moran I'm sure I'd be doubting these events.
I certainly understand what you're saying in the sense that I am the only one who can decide what it was but reading others stories on here has opened my mind to the vast occurances of ghosts and the reality that it happens more than we think.
I'm definately more in the frame of mind that it was something paranormal that I experienced, simply from you stating that they've stuck in my mind for a long time now.

Thanks for ytour comment Succubiluv, much appreciated!
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
gamst, I was imaginative as a child also.

But the spirit manifestations I witnessed in 3 of the homes our family lived in were entirely seperate from the figments of a child's imagination.
In some cases, a child's imagination would not even go in the direction of certain manifestations I witnessed.

If all you say you saw was just imaginary figments, they sure stuck in your mind for a long time.
Most free association thinking or imaginative flights are temporary like eidetic images.
These are remnant images that remain on the eye or in the brain for a short time after the eyelids have closed, caused by what seems to be a gradual diminishing of light previously recieved by the eyes.
You might look that word eidetic up online to see if it has any bearing on your state of mind as a child.

I guess in the end only you can finally decide which was which.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: