You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Child's Imagination, Or Tall, Dark Shadow Figures?

Real Ghost Stories

Child's Imagination, Or Tall, Dark Shadow Figures?

 

In my first story, I had mentioned my fear of astral projection due to the possibility of coming in contact with negative entities. I want to tell this story and provide an explanation behind this fear to possibly read what some of your thoughts are. I don't have anyone in particular that I feel comfortable talking to about paranormal incidents, so I am very happy I found this site.

The events in this story happened when I was a little girl between the ages of 8 and 9. My younger sister and I shared a bedroom and lived with our grandparents in a three bedroom brick home. There were no previous owners of the house as my grandparents had it built. At this point in time, the house was about 30-35 years old. I have no knowledge of the land itself other than it was a very wooded area when my grandparents bought it.

My grandmother was in a wheelchair and my grandfather, who died when I was 10, was blind. As early as I can remember, I would sit and watch television with him so I could explain to him what he couldn't see. He and I were very close as he was the only father figure I had at the time. This being said, one of his favorite types of movies/television show to watch were of the horror/sci-fi genre. Of course because I was stuck to his hip at all times, I put on a brave front as if they didn't scare me as we watched/listened together. But as to be expected from any young child, once it was time to go to sleep I was on the lookout for ghosts, monsters, aliens, etc.

I'm sure you are all wondering what this little piece of my life has to do with the paranormal. I am putting this in the story because I don't want to rule out the possibility of the actual paranormal experience being created from the imagination from a young child. I can honestly say that ever since I was little I could always "feel" things and still do to this day only when I was a child, these "feelings" were always more of a something bad is going to happen type thing. That all changed. I can remember this first time it happened as clearly as I can remember what I did 5 minutes ago. It has affected me ever since then and now I feel so relieved to finally be able to tell someone.

One night my sister and I were laying in bed supposed to be sleeping, but as all young girls do we were up talking and giggling. My sister was getting sleepy and eventually just zonked out on me. I was laying there in the dark with only the light from the bathroom across the hall shining in the room. I remember it was late because I was excited and nervous about my piano recital the next day. I had my back towards the doorway and was facing the wall with my eyes open imagining a grand recital when I saw someone's shadow on the wall walk past the the doorway. Knowing it couldn't be my grandmother because I couldn't hear her wheelchair (and she couldn't walk) and it wasn't my grandfather because he couldn't walk in the house alone and had never tried before, I was terrified, but thought maybe I was just tired and my eyes were playing tricks on me. It didn't take long before I had completely dismissed it and resumed my thoughts. About 15-20 minutes passed and I saw the shadow again only this time it didn't walk past the doorway, it just stood there. I can't explain to you in enough words the feeling of terror and helplessness that I felt in that moment. I was too afraid to wake my sister up because I didn't want it to know I saw it. I knew at some point I was going to have to turn around and face this person or thing whether I wanted to or not. I finally got the courage and turned around and was looking dead at it. It was completely black with no facial features or any detail of clothing. It had a profound body outline and looked like a big body builder. I didn't utter a word and just laid there staring at it. It didn't speak or move, but I could feel it was "looking" at me even though I saw no eyes.

After what felt like a century, it simply disappeared like just like smoke. I was going over what just happened in my head and you can imagine what an 8 year old is thinking. Eventually I fell asleep only after scooting so close to my sister she was pretty much pinned to the wall. The next morning when I woke up I convinced myself it was just a bad dream that felt real, decided not to tell anyone, and go on about my day.

It was about 8 o'clock at night when we got home from my recital and I was exhausted. I went straight to bed after a shower. Around 11 or 12 that night, I woke up hungry because I didn't eat much before I went to sleep. I got up and went to the kitchen and found something to snack on. I got back in bed and once again, faced the wall. As I was trying to fall back asleep, it was there again. I couldn't believe my eyes. It wasn't a dream, it was as real as I was. I screamed for my grandparents and woke my sister up. The shadow of course was gone and so I ran to their room. I told them what I saw and they tried to assure me it was just a bad dream. They let me sleep in their bed that night because I was so terrified I refused to go to my room and demanded my sister sleep in their room as well because I was afraid it would get her if I was not there. My grandparents were from a generation that didn't believe in psychological help so they had our preacher talk to me on several occasions as this continued every night. The preacher concluded that since my sister said she never saw it, that it had to be all these scary movies I was watching with my grandpa causing my imagination to go crazy. As a result, no more scary movies for me.

This shadow continued to visit me every night until one night when I was 9 years old, I had planned on confronting whatever this was. I had reasoned out in my mind that it wasn't there to harm me because if it was, it would have already done it. At that point I wasn't scared of it anymore, I just wanted it to leave me alone. So I waited for it and when it came I said, "What do you want?" It gave me no reply and didn't even move. I repeated the question a little louder, no reply. I told it that I wanted it to stop bothering me and leave. Just like that it was gone and I have never seen it again.

Ever since then I have "felt" a constant presence with me and on occasion "feel" others. Some good, some bad. I have never seen another shadow or ghost or whatever this thing was but I believe that it is still with me. Possibly watching me, maybe it feels protective? I'm not sure. I don't believe it wants to hurt me so I'm not looking for how to get rid of it, just other's opinions.

I will not rule out the possibility of it being my imagination, but to be honest I believe it was all and still is real.

Other hauntings by Lesleighra

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lesleighra, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

willpowerwon (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-01)
I really would like to hear other stories, like mine, good or bad, I came to the realization that mine, my man in black, watches over me
willpowerwon (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-01)
I just wish that my experience, was a concerning one, but only to realize it's all good 😊
Lesleighra (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
Ok Jman, just to make this clear to you, I will not tolerate negative insinuations as to what kind of mother I am. I am going to go out on a limb and just assume you were not trying to insult me and I am giving you a good bit of slack considering that from only two comments you have posted on my account I can only assume you to be ignorant of anyone else's belief but your own. Never once did I say I invited any sort of entity into my life. If you read even a portion of my account you would clearly understand that as a child I not only wanted this "thing" to leave, but I asked it to. Now as an adult I still feel it's presence but am not bothered by it. I don't feel the need to re-type my entire story here so feel free to re-read it on your own time.
jmantodd (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
Well if that beliefe helps you sleep at night then good for you. Still, if you are such a religious person then I don't need to tell you how important it is to keep your faith through all of this. As a mother you should be more cautious in what you invite around your child though. You never know what the devil is cooking up.
Lesleighra (2 stories) (18 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
Jman, I get what you're saying and I agreed to not completely rule out my imagination, but I know what I saw and am pretty confident that it was real. I do not personally believe scary movies had that much of an affect. Not to mention the fact that I can still feel it around me and even stronger since I had my son. I do not feel threatened in any way. As a religious person, I also do not feel the need to ask God to remove this being from my life because I feel in part he put it there. That belief in itself may not sit well with others, but it's my opinion. I also don't believe the paranormal leaves a lot of room for evidence otherwise there wouldn't be such a big debate over the fact if it exists or not. I will respect your opinion anyway though and thank you for your comment.
jmantodd (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
What I can't understand is why would any adult let a child at such a young age watch movies like this. I can see how it would affect your imagination and trick it into seeing such things. As religious people, they should have known that would happen. You need to pray to God to rid yourself of these feelings so you can be at peace with yourself. From the way you tell your story, I just don't see any evidence making this true. Not to call you a liar, but what I mean is, I believe it really was your imaginiation. If this offends, I appologize, but you asked for other's opinions.
Lesleighra (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
Thank you damion. TRUCK, no my parents are still alive and well so I'm not sure who my "protector" might be. I was hoping someone more experienced on this site would maybe help me in how to find out if possible.
TRUCK (25 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
You say you and your sister were raised by your grandparents. I'm assumong that something happened to your parents. It's possible then this could have been one of them watching out for you, and possibly your sister.
damion57 (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
im impressed at your bravery as well! I have certain memories from a very early age that, as an adult I had to entertain the possibility that they were dreams, I don't think that's the case here, I don't know much of shadow people but your experience gives me chills!
Lesleighra (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-18)
BadJuuJuu, thank you for your comment and your belief in what I wrote. I believe the reasoning behind my bravery at such a young age was probably due to the fact of having to grow up so fast and I was just simply annoyed at knowing someone was watching me as I slept. I too think it is serving as a protector as I have felt it's presence much stronger since I had my son 2 1/2 years ago.
Isandhu, I'm glad I'm not the only one 😊 and I will check your link out.
Willpowewon, I think you were much braver than I was. I don't think I could have mustered up the courage to wave 😜
Maryannethedoll, the only advice I can give you is to find out to the best of your ability what it is while also debunking it if possible.
MaryAnneTHEdoll (23 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-17)
Sometimes that happens to me whenever i'm alone in my room (because my sister and me also share a room) and sometimes I even hear noises like tapping in our window and shadows in the walls

❤ MaryAnne
willpowerwon (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-16)
It's good to know that I'm not the only one that had a childhood that had visits from the Man in black. Just like you I was afraid, since I was the only one that seen him, the man at the bottom of the steps! I too after a few encounters Sat at the top of the steps and would wave to him, he just would look out the window and not move, Always seeing his profile hat coat pants tall. My age then 6,7,8,9' We moved out when I was 9' I even told the New girl that was moving in, watch for the Man in black, I spoke with her often, she never seen him.
Fourteen years later 2 babies husband and home, I remember I felt helpless betrayal and so vulnerable, in bed, door shut, I heard someone walk right up my steps and stop at my door, I yelled to my husband get the gun, hoping they would run out! I heard nothing,didn't even own a gun, I had to get up, open that door, and face whoever was there since my babies were in next room. As I opened the door, no-one was there, I looked down the steps, Guess what, no I did not see him!But,at that exact moment, the memory of
HIM crossed through my mind, and thought Oh he's not there, since that point I reliezed he is my protector, my mind clear, and became that strong willed person again, good to know, that Yes there are protectors, I have one, Maybe when you least expect it, you will see him again, Yeah,it's all good.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-16)
Certain things you have said resonate with me and make me believe you are honest in what you have reported. I had a shadow person encounter that may interest you and I think if you click on my name you will find the link on my profile. Your experience is not typical since you saw the shadow's shadow reflected on your wall. I have not heard of that before in my shadow person research. I wish I had an answer for you, but I've yet to figure out my experience. I, too, used to be exposed to scary movies with my grandma, but I don't think that means it was our imagination. Maybe it just made us more open to seeing what others don't.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
For what it's worth, I don't think it was sci-fi induced imagination. I do think you were very brave and extremely clever at 9. Most adults can't reason out that if something that's been there for such a long time hasn't tried to hurt them, it won't. Most adults can't (won't?) speak out to something and ask that it leave them alone. Maybe it's because you were so young that you had the courage to speak up, kids can be extremely tough. It could be that whatever it was, it's role was meant to be a protector and that's why you still sense it. It's just going about it's job in a more low key fashion.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: