You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: A Lesson In Shadows

Real Ghost Stories

A Lesson In Shadows

 

I have been known for saying that we never know who our real teachers are. We have an idea on who is qualified to teach us on a variety of subjects, but surprisingly, the one who gets the lesson across is usually the one that we least expect.

A few nights ago I had such a lesson. Those of you who have read through some of my other experiences may notice a distinct difference in the writing style, but this is the best way that I can see to let you all in on a night in MY house.

I have a five year old who often comes to sleep in between my husband and myself. There is something in his room that is noisy, and if it wakes him at night, and he can not get it to be quiet, he just comes into our room for a bit of quiet sleep. Generally he does not wake his Daddy, and we have our most revealing conversations during this time. I have interrupted sleep, so sometimes we just use the time to talk.

As my son and I were laying in bed, we were staring up at the ceiling fan and out of the blue he whispers to me "You 'K, Mama?"

"Yep, you?"

"No. But I'm little, I gots lossa problems."

"Like what?"

"I get treated like a baby."

"Oh, I hope you do not think Mama does. I TRY to treat you like a little man."

"I know, but sometimes big people forget."

"It IS hard. I only met you six years ago. That makes you young in my book."

"Time to turn the page, Mama."

All I could do was let out a surprised guffaw. I really was not expecting that come back.

"Thinkin sometin?"

"What do you think?"

"Yep. You are 'fused."

"Yep. Mama read some stuff today that I am having a problem processing. It is about the white and black areas and when the heck did they become gray."

"Oh. Gonna axe sometin?"

"Do you mind?"

"Nah. I gots plenty of time."

Well, without telling you the ENTIRE conversation, which I think you would enjoy, I will tell you what light was turned on in MY mind.

We checked out the ceiling fan, and the shadow it created on the ceiling, the lack of light behind the door, and the shadows on the wall and ceiling beside the window.

I asked my son about Shadow people. I saw a story on site that confused me, as I have no real experience with them. I have a book knowledge, but that form of knowledge HAS been found to be lacking in some other areas.

He pointed to the night light and said something to the effect of: the light around the light is a reflection. A SMALL ways away from the reflection, it "melts" into Shadow. For the rest of the wall, all of THAT is in shadow.

I pointed to the shadow that was cast on the ceiling from the window. I pointed out that the tree outside looked a bit spooky. It LOOKED like the tree was ten feet higher that what it actually is. With the school being across the street, the light coming through that window makes it EASY to see anyone walking by, trees, cars, even if they ARE on school property.

My son looked at me like I have just sprouted the most hideous appendage.

"Mama. For real, you think that is the shadow from the tree?"

I pointed out the tree in the front of the house, and the light from the pole. HE pointed out that if the window and the window casings had a "tear off" like the Nascars do, and you could just peal off a layer, and slide it up the wall (WITHOUT changing it's position, just lift it off and slide it up) THAT would be the reflection of the LIGHT from across the street. The TREE (also "lifted and slid") that I thought to look spooky, (was ONLY the BOTTOM branches that I was seeing) was a SHADOW of the tree. The darker shapes AROUND the "slits" of the blinds were ALSO shadows- but of the curtains that I had forgotten to untie before bed.

The Shadow that was waving in the breeze outside, and beside the tree, but seemed to overlap it (you know how the shadow gets darker when there is an overlay of them?) was NOT outside. There WAS no breeze ("See? Are the BRANCHES moving, Mama?").

Uh

HUH?

NOT OUTSIDE?

Of COURSE it is. How would it get there? The only light IN the house at that time was the night light, on the OTHER side of the room.

My son CALLED to it.

He said "You can move now."

It DID.

He said, "Could you wiggle?"

It DID.

He said "Why are you HERE?"

It SEEMED to SIT.

At this time, I had inched myself UP on the pillows and onto the back wall of the room, crawling on my back and feeling like I was not moving quickly enough to get out of the room. I was SCARED OUT OF MY MIND. I have NEVER heard ANYONE tell a story about COMMUNICATING with a shadow. They see them out the corner of their eyes (I have too), they have TOLD it to leave, but it did not respond, and here my five year old was asking it questions.

When my son was done talking (amazing how we never woke Daddy up) the shadow seemingly stood and returned to where it was before it got our attention.

I looked at my son and told him that there are nights when I hear a light, very quiet tapping up against the wall I tried to climb. "Does it sound like beads tapping the wall?" "Yes."

I also told him that there are nights when I swear I hear a car door, tell Daddy to go check it out (WHAT? I am supposed to check out possible visitors at night?) to find no one is around.

I told him that I hear someone opening a pop can (You know, the click ssshhhh that comes when it opens?) and tell sissy to stop sneaking pops at night. "Is it right outside your door?" "Yes." "WHY would sissy open it there and NOT in the kitchen?"

I hear the dryer door at night.

Occasionally the back door is standing open when it was shut and locked.

The sliding door seems to open and close on it's own. ONLY at night.

"What the question, Mama? You know why."

"Who?" I whispered, staring up at the shadow lest it "jump down" and attack.

"Do we hafta know WHO we are here ta help?"

"Well, no. Not if our heart is in the right place."

"Guess we LIVE in the right place, too, right?"

"Oh yeah, buddy. Now go to sleep. You scared me enough for tonight." SMILING through that whole last sentence.

He dropped off to sleep quickly, and I sat (Yep, never slid down off that wall until day break) up watching the shadows.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitebuffalo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-17)
Thanks for your opinion, I had managed to check around. The walls of my house are pretty thick and before the tapping had occured I had the feeling of being watched, felt unusually cold but my dogs were there to keep me warm so I didn't mind much and slightly felt something touch my arm which I brushed off as my bothersome imagination. All my dogs were with me at the time some on a nearby couch and one lounging on his pillow. I'm a dog person and have only five dogs, four now due to old age sadly but it was fairly quit except for a tv muttering cartoons on nickelodian and my phone playing my music in one ear. It had happened very randomly including some earlier small tappings above me which I ignored also. I don't think every tap I hear is a ghost except there were times my dogs would look above me and that would unnerve me. What do you think of that situation? And recently I've been hearing someone whisper in my ear when I'm not listening to music and faint breathing or muffeled footsteps on the carpet. Recently I've been getting nightmares that wake me in the middle of the night in tears and overwhelming fear. I've seen a door move on its own and I've scared some spirits away with my wrath that comes after my fear ๐Ÿ˜† just an update on how things are doing for me. Last night was the first night ever with just a random creepy but cool dream that felt real. Thanks for your advice, Katherine โค
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
And then I can see Dalton asking me why I'm afraid and telling me there's nothing to be afraid of. "He's not scary at all." like he did when he saw ours. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
whitebuffalo - the wall climb thing was so spectacularly relayed. But I guess I could have said "imagine her scooting backward, clutching the blankets with one hand, while feeling for the wall with the other; never once taking her eyes off the "shadow" in case "he" may come toward her!" Sorry, not making fun... You know that! It's something I can see myself doing, especially if Dalton was talking to it and coaxing it into movement! ๐Ÿ˜‰
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Heeeey Miracles, Gurl!
Thank you for hitting on this for me. With all these computer issues I have had here lately, I am amazed I was able to log in this morning, let alone being able to get the dang thing to boot up!
***You forgot to mention the "wall climb" ๐Ÿ˜‰. Now THAT was a feat in itself!
Wa-do!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Nephele, I would be GLAD to.
What Miracles said is right.
I had written this as it was coming from my five year old at the time (he is at this time quickly approaching seven). The dialogue was as such, so that if I had personally misinterpreted something that he SAID, and HE "missed" that particular bit of confusion and agreed as he did not sense I did not get the "right" meaning, someone ELSE on this fine site could have walked me through the process, as well.
I am not opposed to someone gently helping me understand something that is, as of yet, second skin to me.
I do not get the feeling that is all that was confusing to you, though. I would be more than happy to try to explain it out a mite better, if you would like to ask me any specific questions. I think I have learned quite a bit more in these almost two years, and the thought process MAY be a bit clearer now.
So, Please, go right ahead and ask away.
Wa-do.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
A very personal note to Emerald, first (and everyone ELSE, for that matter). It is very good to see that you are still around and seeking knowledge. I encourage you to gather all the information you can, but keep an open mind. Knowledge is Power, but do not simply take one persons word for it. Weigh the facts, think heavily on them (and, if it is within YOUR belief system, Pray about it if need be) before taking that information for "truth".
We can have ALL the experts in the WORLD tell us that the Earth is an octagon. But if that "fact" does not ring true in our OWN hearts, no amount of documentation can MAKE that our own PERSONAL truth. There is a Universe of Knowledge out there just WAITING for you to unlock it's doors. Be true to YOU, first.
Anyway...the Mama and Grandma in me just rose up there, I apologize, but I will not apologize for asking you to pick and choose the advice you accept into your life very carefully.
That sound that you explained COULD be two things. One: It COULD actually have BEEN the water of the shower hitting the shower walls and floor as your Dad was enjoying one at the time. And it also describes the sound (it has been described as a wrinkling of a plastic bag, light rains hitting a roof, and beads tapping against a wall. There are others, but those are the most "common" descriptions) that SOME would link with the passage through the realms by a life impaired individual.
That is NOT to say that someone actually got through. That is not to say that the "window" was open, it simply means (in MY opinion) that a message DID get through from the Other Side. That message was just "Hello?" at that point.
Wa-do.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
The day I saw Jamie when it was still daylight except the it was sunset, I had heard three loud knocks and after each tap I would hear the sound of beads or rain on the walls. It had scared the crap outta me and I was so engrossed in a book it had took me a while to process where I was hearing it. I think it had been near the windows which was to my right. My dogs were staring at it too and looked me like did you see that?! I'm still wondering what Jamie was doing, definitly trying to get my attention but what was up with the rain sound? My dad was in the shower when this happened.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
Nephele, I'm sorry for intercepting a comment directed at whitebuffalo but, if you haven't already, go back and reread this story. This time imagine lying in bed in the dark with your 5-year-old son while HE is teaching YOU things you don't know. I have read this story several times and followed it completely the first time I read it. When you reread it, remember, she's retelling the story in her son's vocabulary. Not as an adult would talk. And to those of us with Little Men, it makes it even more better and that much more real. Seriously, though, take a walk through some of her stories. Maybe it'll help.
Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
youuu need to explain your stories better, that was very confusing but VERY interesting.
I'd like to hear more
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Yes, MissHill, I DID try it out. With no success. When it did not work for me, I asked my son to try again, and it responded. I would have LOVED to wake up Race, my husband, to see if HE could get a response, but I do not think I would have "enjoyed" the remainder of the night in relative peace.
Wa-do.
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
Did you get curious and have the urge to ask the same things your son did to see if it would work, I think I would want to ask but I don't think I would get the whole question out
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-18)
pie1025. Thank you for sharing that you also know a young child who seems to be in the same mind frame as my son. It is disturbing that I really can not find someone that I can discuss his growth with, or throw ideas back and forth. He does have a mentor that occasionally comes over and works with him, and he seems to find the right kinds of people, but as a Mother it is frustrating to know that I am not the one to teach him.
I simply can not. I am not knowledgeable enough in what he seems to know.
He teaches me more than I can teach him.
Thank you. You have brought me some comfort. ๐Ÿ˜Š
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-18)
Thank you, poetic5551.
To be honest, our little guys talent seems to be our challenge in life. In MY way of thinking we all have at least one particular challenge that we need to conquer "this time around".
I bounce the extremes with him. I am in awe, and mostly rather confused when he shares what he seems to know without being taught. And then I am scared for what I (human nature there, taking over) THINK he will probably go through as he gets older, living with this...ability.
Thank you.
pie1025 (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-02)
WhiteBuffalo, this is amazing. I think your son is a 'Crystal' child than an 'Indigo'. Crystals are usually calm and comfortable with any situation, with a crystal clear aura around them. I have heard one of my friends talk about a crystal child who was about 3 years,that he told his mom 'I chose you as my mom when I was looking down the clouds (or heaven, I don't remember the exact word) '.
You are really blessed!
Thanks for sharing the story. โค
poetic5551 (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-02)
I love your stories, your son is a genus or old soul who has been here before, very gifted. Teach him how to protect his self. What a child, I would love to speak to him. Good luck!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
Thank you, Dio.
I have come to trust my sons... Assessment of a situation. He seems to be light years ahead of what I am in grasping an entire situation.
You know why I enjoy HIS teachings so well? It is in the simplicity of a child, the trust that is all consuming for him, and the fact that he has not yet been tainted by the worlds views of these instances that make him so needed in a world of uncertainty (personally, I NEED him for numerous other reasons, too) where HE seems to have such a grasp on what is there.
Thank you.
Dio (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-28)
I love this! I used to see shadow people when I was a child, and I never recall it being unusual at all. I just thought everyone saw them. When I grew up, they went away.

How wonderful that your child was able to communicate this with you, and that you listened to him. I absolutely love his description of the 'film', and how it all works. Absolutely fascinating! Thanks for sharing this story:)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
How did I know the WHOLE incident was not just a dream?
My husband was in bed beside me, snoring happily away (I can not sleep while he snores, it is a bit, uh... Loud), and my Son was snuggled in between, talking. WE had a complete conversation, and my back was KILLING me in the morning.
The NEXT night? Yes, we DID sleep. Least, as far as I can recall.
And, seriously? How would a shadow person be able to tell what the winning lottery numbers ARE? Are Shadow People supposed to have psychic abilities?
I am NOT trying to be funny, I am ASKING. THIS is why this story is HERE. As I said, it is a Lesson in Shadows.
Thanks for your input so far ๐Ÿ˜Š. Want to try another?
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Mi egatalipisme Kirie otheosmou, miapostis apemou. Prosxes istin sotirianmou Kirie tisotiriasmou. Kirie otheos tisotiriasmou. Ekekraksa kaien nikti enantionsou.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Oh and try this again. Next time ask your son to ask the shadow if it can give you the winning lottery numbers for next week.
Serioulsy. I'm not saying what happened here or did not, but just in case this thing is real, why not?
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Ok so I wonder, did you get to sleep the next night?
Obvious question, how did you know this wasn't a dream?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
In the Name of The Great Spirit,
And by the power of His Blood and His Mercy,
We bind all spirits in the air, and the fire and the water,
In the ground and the underground and the nether world,
And we bind any satanic forces of nature.
We bind all curses, hexes, or spells, or any occult activity previously used.
We bind the interaction and interplay of spirits.
And we claim the protection
Of the Great Spirit
Over this house and grounds, and over every person here.
We call upon the ancestors of the land
And the company of angels to surround this place,
Making it both safe and sacred.
And we call out to you, O Great Spirit.
Come now and fill this place, never to leave!
We pray in the name of the Great Spirit, Amen.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Excuse me too Buffy.:0)

Hi Tammy. AWWWW shucks! You are sweet. I'm glad that I was missed. You two are making me blush. ๐Ÿ˜ณ I am going to try and make a better effort to be here like I used to be. I just do not want the computer to consume my days. I was'nt getting much done when I was on here all of the time. As much as I loved it I had to break away. Besides, you and I both know that a lot of the newer stories were getting more and more ridiculous.

Anyway, I have been doing great. This year has NOT been the best for me though to say the least. I cannot wait for it to be over and start a fresh new year. I just hope next year is better.

TTYL
SHELBY โค ๐Ÿ˜Š
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Oh, will you excuse the interruption Autumn? HELLO Shelby and yes, I missed you too! I think many more have missed you here.

I hope you're well and that we'll have you back more often.

Tammy โค
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Thank you! Thank you! I thought everyone forgot about me. It feels good to know that I was missed. ๐Ÿ˜

You know my son is, NOW, the same way with the ghosties as your son. When he was about 4 years old, these things creeped him out to were he didn't want to sleep in his room. I think I told you about when my Dad died from cancer, my son said that Papa was in his room and scared him really bad. This was only days after my Dad's death and he didn't even know about him dying at the time.

Then, about two weeks ago me and my son were in the bathroom and I was running his bath water. Hayley, my 4 year old had fallen asleep in my bed, so it was just me and Robbie. He had used the potty and was walking over to the sink to wash his hands. (He does this all of the time. He knows he is getting in the bath but he still feels he must wash his hands at the sink before he gets in the tub) So, he was walking to the sink and did a double take by the bathtub, down on the floor. Like on the rug in front of the bathtub. He said, "Oh, he, he, I thought I saw Hayley but then I looked again and she was'nt there." I said, "No, Hayley is sleeping in Mommy's bed". He says to me, "Yea, sometimes I see people that do not belong here." "People who are not in my family". And he said it like nothing. He even shyly giggled about it, like it was silly. Talk about chills all over the body.
๐Ÿ˜จI had major goosebumps. I told my husband about it and it gave him chills too.
It seems that my son can see them too, like my 15 year old daughter and I. I haven't seen anything in Hayley yet but sometimes, like the other day when I was cooking dinner. My oldest daughter, Amberley, asks Hayley who she was talking to in the dining room. Robbie butts in and answers for Hayley quickly, "No one, she's talking to no one." Almost like he was covering for someone the way he said it. Hayley didn't speak a word. But funny, she did stop talking to "NO ONE".

SHELBY โค
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Well, HELLO MUSTANG SHELBY!
Oh, are you not a sight for sore eyes!
So good to see you! Thank you for honoring my page with your presence. MAN! I thought I had lost you forever!
I think I have to check out that movie. CREEPY!

You know, I do not really think that my little man distinguishes between all the different types of ghosties. I am not positive, as he seems so comfortable (Crud, NOT me. I take of running, or freeze up against a wall) in just about every situation. He DOES come to me if something is bothering him, or he does not understand something (yeah, like I know MORE than HIM. Whatever...).
Very interesting thought process, I will have to ask him when he gets home from school.
OH! I would be THRILLED to read through one of your accounts (or 30 of them, for THAT matter)!
SOOO good to have you back!
Thank you!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Long time no talk Buffy. The whole discussion of 'Shadow People' just gives me chills. I know that there is really nothing to be afraid of when it comes to 'them' but it makes you wonder how often they are creeping around, especially when you are sleeping and unaware. Why do we usually see them at night? When we are sleeping and are jolted awake by the unmistakeable feeling of a presence in the room just staring at you. Why do they stand there in the shadows glaring at you? I doubt any of us will ever REALLY know for sure. Maybe you can ask your son to ask them who they are and why they stand in the corners of our room and stare at us. Have you ever seen that movie called "Boogeyman". There is a newer one that came out not too long ago, I think maybe 2005, but that movie was down right creepy. Especially the very beginning of the movie with the little boy laying in his bed in the dark, only the light from the nightlite or moon showing through. There is a chair not too far from his bed that has some clothing and stuff hanging over it. The boy is staring at it, and it appears like it is someone sitting in the chair. He is so scared. He isn't sure what to think. So he turns on his light and it is just his clothing and his baseball glove. Then, all of a sudden, his light scoots off of the night stand and smashes to the floor. It is dark again in his room. Now, the "clothes and baseball glove" in the chair appearing to look like a man, STANDS UPRIGHT OUT OF THE CHAIR! Looks like what I have always seen! That trench coat and bowler hat wearing shadow man, except WAAAYY scarier. The boy screams bloody murder and his dad runs into his room, and the 'shadow man' that once stood there dropped like someone dropped a pile of clothes to the floor. Mind you it's still dark. They dad walks over to the edge of his son's bed. FYI:the closet is right behind the dad. The boy is telling his dad about the boogeyman in the closet and the dad just doesn't really get it. The closet door opens up and that creepy shadow man reaches out, and very aggresively, snatched the dad into the closet and the dad was never found or seen again.
๐Ÿ˜จ
I'm just glad that my closet is in my bathroom.

My daughter and I, only, have been having some very different experiences lately. I will post a story about it on here as soon as I find the time. I've been so busy with life at home that I just can't find the time to mess around on the computer. I miss it.
๐Ÿ˜ข
I enjoyed your story, as I always do. That conversation between you and your son was adorable. It reminds me of myself and MY five year old boy. ๐Ÿ˜Š

TTYL
SHELBY <3:0)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Hello SlyGemini10.
He IS calm through MOST of the "learning experiences" that he walks me through. I believe the Great Spirit knew what He was thinking when he sent me such a son ๐Ÿ˜Š. He is a wonderful teacher, and a beautiful son. Thank you for your interest in this story.
SlyGemini10 (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Wow that kind of gives me a creepy feeling with shadows now lol, but a very good story indeed. You sound like you have the best son and it truly is amazing how calm you describe he is when these events take place. Thanks for posting:)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
Greetings, Nevadaghosthunter.
Thank YOU. I can honestly say that the biggest reason for me being the way I am right now is on account of how I was raised. I grew up in a home that was staunchly against anything that was not printed in the Good Book, and it caused me to think "outside their church", as I never felt...
Whole.
I am not saying that I turned my back on religion, anyone who has read my comments will know that is the furthest thing possible from the truth. It BROUGHT me to MY faith, and THAT is so important.
I gave myself my word (after all, Promises are meant to be broken, and our word is our bond. I would NOT like anyone to think I was dealing in "junk bonds".) at a young age, that should I ever have any offspring that had the vision, dreams and imagination that I had growing up, I would teach them that it was NOT simply all of those previously stated things. These were REAL things, real experiences. I was NOT about to let a CHILD of mine think something was wrong with them.
I try my best. I screw up. I see the disappointment in their eyes when I say "Mama was wrong", but then I ALSO see the acceptance in them when I follow that with "I am not Super Mom. I need YOUR help."
With the help of The Great Spirit, THEY have made me the Mama I am.
Thank you.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: