You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: House On French Island

Real Ghost Stories

House On French Island

 

The town that I grew up in is made up of many small islands smushed together and separated by a river. One part of this is nicknamed 'French Island' due to the fact that when the town was settled the French families mostly settled there in a cluster.

I lived in an apartment on French Island three years ago with a good friend of mine. The apartment was in a two story house, each story being one apartment and we had the top story. To get into either apartment you needed to walk into the garage and then directly to your left was the door to the downstairs apartment and shortly past that there was a corner and then wooden stairs (rough, not finished, no hand rail etc) that led up to a landing and our apartment door.

There were four significant experiences during the year we lived at the apartment. Three of them happened to me and one happened to my roommate, Liz, and she told me about it the next day. I'm going to post them in separate stories since they're pretty long.

First a small description of our apartment: When you walk in the main door you are in a room about 24 feet square. There are two doorways on the wall directly opposite of the main door, one on each half of the room. The one on the left is to the living room; the one on the right went to my roommate's room. The room is separated into two areas by a partial wall in the middle (not parallel to the walls with the doors on them, it goes the other way) that goes from the floor 3/4 of the way to the ceiling. This partial wall runs from one side of the room to the other with the exception of a 3 foot walking space on both ends. The left side is the dining area, the right side is the kitchen. If you walk from the main room into the living room my bedroom door was on the other end. The bathroom was built into the corner of the kitchen beside my roommate's bedroom. That was the whole apartment.

First thing that happened: My roommate used to have a rocker/recliner in the living room that had a broken spring on the bottom of it. You had to really put some effort into rocking it and it made a very distinct squeaking noise when you did.

I was asleep in my room on a day off. It was about 10 in the morning so I was about half asleep. I was lying on my bed when the squeaking noise that the recliner made when you rocked it woke me up. It sounded like it was rocked back & forth two or three times. I sat up and yelled "Liz?" to see if it was my roommate and the noise stopped. I was really confused because my roommate was supposed to be at work in a town an hour away. I lay back down thinking I'd imagined it and fell back asleep. Then I heard it again. Same thing happened, it sounded like someone was rocking back and forth and when I called out my roommates name it stopped. This time I sat on my bed and didn't go to sleep and about 5 minutes later I heard it again. I yelled out for my roommate again telling her it wasn't funny if she was playing a trick on me. I told her she was scaring me and she needed to stop. The rocking stopped as soon as I had said something to her. After a few more minutes I opened my door and went out into the living room. My roommate was not home (she had been at work all day) and there was no one else in the house.

Just to reiterate, this chair could not have rocked on its own because of the broken spring. You literally had to put both feet flat on the floor and push to rock it back.

Also I should add that I wasn't really very scared. I was a little uneasy when I was in my room but after I went into the living room I felt fine. I actually ended up sitting in that very chair and watching tv after.

More to come!

Other hauntings by JaimeLuv

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JaimeLuv, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-30)
Hello! Thanks for sharing your story. I just love how you went in and sat in that chair, lol! That was like saying "quit it, you, this is MY chair."

Couldn't have handled it better myself!

Blessings,
DA
csuegar (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
JaimeLuv, The woman in my dream was an elderly black woman. In my dream I went through the front door and the stairs were directly to the right as soon as I walked in. I also saw a kind of closed in front porch. Good Luck to you! GodBless You
JaimeLuv (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
csuegar

That is odd! Thanks for sharing. We did have a lot of furniture downstairs in the garage because we used it for storage. There were at least two spirits in our house, one that I felt was female and not a threat at all, just kind of there. We saw her more than once. The other I only saw once, I'm pretty sure was male and was very scary. Thanks!
csuegar (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-28)
Hi JaimeLuv,
Your story was very interesting. This may sound strange but not too long ago I had a dream about a two story house and I swear it's almost like the one you described accept this one had an upside down triangle roof and it was very high and I also seen a rocking chair in my dream but it was a plain oak one and an elderly woman was sitting in it in the front yard. The way you said the stairs looked going to the upstairs apt is unreal. In my dream I saw stairs that were very plain and not painted looking and the apt was exactly the same way you wrote about. The place I dreamed about was very small and I remember lots of furniture down stairs and some up. Weard huh? Just thought I would share that with you. I was kind of hesitating on writing this then I decided why not. Take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-27)
Great story Jaimie and a very "spooky" rocking chair, I admit!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the experiences!
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
you're brave I have to say. You should do history research on the place and find out what's causing it or WAS causing it.
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
That was a great experience! (ha, maybe not at the time) It is funny that you went and sat in the chair a little after. 😆 It is good that you do not get scared, because fear just brings worse things to come.

If I were you, I would check into the history of the house and see if anyone passed away there, or if it was like on certains grounds where many people died.

Have you ever heard it when your roomate and you were home, when just your roomate was home, or any other time when it was just you that was home?

Great story and I cannot wait to read more!

If you have any questions... Email me: spirithelper [at] hotmail.com

Take Care! ❤
JaimeLuv (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Jmak

I didn't really think about it. I always sat in that chair and I didn't feel afraid so I just sat lol. We never figured out who/what it was. At the time my roommate and our other friends used to joke that her Oma (grandmother) was "watching over her." But pretty much everything happened to me and nothing happened in the apartment before this or after we moved out so I know it has to be that place. By the time I started to get curious about it something else happened that really frightened me (H on FI part 4) and I was just anxious to move out. Last year we actually knew the girl that lived there and wanted to go get some EVP's but never got a chance too.

Courtney- no I don't know anything about it except that it is about 50 years old, it used to be a one family house, and it's in the French settlement. I've been looking for info when I get a chance but so far haven't been able to find anything.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Very weird experience! I agree with Jmak... I would have never been able to use the chair again (the sound alone would freak me out). Thanks for sharing!
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
This seems to be a residual haunting. Did you know anything about the building before you moved on, or do you know anything now?
This sounds like an entity to me!
Hope to hear from you soon
Take care
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-25)
Hi JaimeLuv,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Wow and you really sat in the chair afterwards and watched tv? I think I would have sat on the floor 😆. WEre you and your roommate ever able to determine who it was that visited you at that apartment? Were either of you ever able to do any type of research on the building? Again thank you for sharing your experience, I look forward to reading more. God bless. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: