You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: One Night In A Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

One Night In A Haunted House

 

Vaibhav, Prashant, Deep and I have been very good friends since childhood and have spent some great time together. I haven't met them lately though, since Deep in now in the Middle East and Prashant in the US. Vaibhav is the only person currently in India whom I meet sometimes when I am in Mumbai.

During one of our summer vacations, we decided to go to Goa (a popular tourist location in India), stay there for a couple of days and then explore the coastal stretch along the National Highway 17 (NH-17) from Goa to Mangalore along the West coast of India. This stretch along the NH-17 has some of the most beautiful beaches in India. One such beach which deserves a special mention is the Marvante beach in the state of Karnataka where you have the sea on one side, a sweet water lake on the other side with the National Highway-17 going in between the two. A beautiful unique sight to behold.

Coming back to my story, a vacation of around 2 weeks was planned. We would spend around 5 days in Goa and then explore the NH-17. Vaibhav, who has spent his childhood at a town near Goa, promised us a unique experience which he did not want to disclose at that point in time. He told us that everything would be revealed in due course. Though we were quite puzzled, no questions were asked and we landed in Goa as scheduled. We enjoyed ourselves immensely in Goa visiting beaches like Calangute, Baga, and Anjuna etc for around five days & also feasting on the local seafood delicacies available. At the end of the fifth day, we hired a car from Goa and started exploring the NH-17. We explored the entire NH-17 stretch from Goa to Mangalore and immensely enjoyed the experience. On our way back, we stopped at Karwar, a town which is at a distance of two hours from Goa. This is where Vaibhav finally made his revelation. He told us that he would take us to his ancestral home which was located nearby. He said that it would be an experience of a lifetime for all of us since the place was haunted. Deep & I were very excited but Prashant was very apprehensive initially but we finally convinced him to come along with us.

It was a thirty minute drive to his place after taking a detour from the NH17. Vaibhav's ancestral home was a huge place roughly covering around ten acres of land. No one from Vaibhav's family stays there at present. There is a caretaker, a local, who maintains the place for occasional visitors like us. Vaibhav told the caretaker, Ganesh of our plans to stay in the house that night and also told him to arrange for dinner. Ganesh smiled and requested us to stay in the living room only. He also told us of the power cuts which might occur unexpectedly at any odd hour.

It was a huge house and seemed big enough to house fifty people at any point. It had a big living room and an even bigger dining area. There were around six bedrooms on the ground floor and six more on the first floor. It was a huge place indeed. Vaibhav told us that this house was built more than 100 years ago and close to three generations of his family had lived there. The main reason for his bringing us there was to give us a firsthand experience of a night in a haunted house. The spirits of some of his ancestors could still be seen there or their presence felt at specific locations in the house. Everyone except Prashant was excited about it.

As promised, Ganesh served us hot dinner at around 7.00pm and went home. Vaibhav then told us to move to the first floor. He opened the second last bedroom down the corridor and asked us to come inside. This was one of those locations in the house where paranormal occurrences were felt. Just as we had settled comfortably inside, the lights went out. Cursing the power cuts, we lit a small lamp which Ganesh had given us. The lamp was placed in the center of the room and we sat around it chatting. We began to pull Prashant's leg and joked about him being frightened. We were all tense but this talk helped us relax a bit. Everything seemed normal for some time and we were convinced that nothing would happen that night when suddenly something happened.

Deep and Prashant felt a sudden chill inside the room in spite of the fact that all the windows were closed. The chill was so severe that they started shivering and their teeth were literally chattering. Vaibhav and I felt nothing at all but were very alert. After about a minute things normalized but we could hear footsteps just outside our room, in the corridor leading to the stairs. We carefully opened the door and looked outside. There was no one in the corridor but we could hear unsteady footsteps slowly moving towards the stairs clearly moving downwards. Apart from the lamp that we had, the whole house was pitch dark. I quickly pulled out a flash light from my sack and flashed it in the direction of the footsteps. As soon as I did that, the footsteps stopped, everything was calm for a few seconds but suddenly we could hear the footsteps retracing the path traversed, moving up the stairs and coming straight towards us. This feeling scared the hell out of us and we immediately rushed inside the room closing the door behind us. We moved to the farthest corner of the room waiting anxiously. We clearly heard the footsteps come up to our door and then slowly move back towards the stairs & below. It seems as if the spirit was irritated by the disturbance caused by my flashlight.

It took us around 15 minutes regain composure, Vaibhav then suggested that we go to the Library on the ground floor where we might be able to see the spirit of his great grandfather. At least that's what was told to him. We slowly navigated the stairs in the dark and reached the ground floor. We were happy that the sound of the footsteps was nowhere to be heard now. Vaibhav led us to the Library which was a spacious room adjacent to the dining room. It was pitch dark when we entered the room and we only had a lamp and my flashlight to guide us. We suddenly heard a noise in one of the corners and moved cautiously towards the source. A shadowy figure slowly emerged. It was a hazy at first, but slowly assumed the form of a man, perhaps in his mid sixties, wearing a kurta and pajama searching for some books/documents from one of the book shelves which was now empty. Prashant stumbled on a chair and fell on the floor making an awfully loud noise. But the spirit of Vaibhav's ancestor seemed blissfully unaware of our presence and carried on with its activity.

We had enough paranormal occurrences for the night and wanted to move to the living room which was considered free of spirits. But something unexpected awaited us as soon as we moved out of the library. Something which Vaibhav himself hadn't heard from anyone until date.

We slowly moved out of the library locking the door behind us. Suddenly we became aware of a presence in the corridor standing just ten feet away from us. It was an old woman probably in her eighties with a stern face, dressed in a sari which was probably used in the early 1900's. She was staring straight at us with an icy stare. Her authority in the house seemed unquestionable and she seemed to be concerned about our presence in the house. She then began advancing intimidatingly towards us. This really scared us out of our wits and all of us ran straight out of the house until we were in the open moonlight. When we looked back inside, the lady had vanished. This was too much for all of us to handle and we decided to spend the night outside. Vaibhav was really clueless about the last sighting which he had never heard before. The lady might have been one of his ancestors but this was the first time that she was seen there. One thing was however clear that she was a person of high stature in the family and had an aura of authority around her.

Vaibhav also told us that there was a deserted well near the house where a servant girl had committed suicide by jumping into it. Sometimes at night, a splash could be heard in the well followed by a loud wail. He asked us whether we wanted to go near the well to check it out. All of us had enough and refused his request outright. Thankfully no splash or wail was heard from the well that night.

We were wide awake all night. Ganesh came with tea and breakfast at around 5.00 am. He was surprised to find us all outside. After hearing our experience that night, he told us that he had experienced the footsteps and also seen the spirit in the library. However he too was clueless about the lady in the corridor. He also assured us that though the experience might have been scary, no one until date had come to harm because of the spirits.

We had experienced three paranormal occurrences that night:

1) Footsteps of an unknown person going down the stairs.

2) The spirit of Vaibhav's great grandfather in the library

3) First time sighting of an old lady, perhaps an ancestor of Vaibhav.

I thanked Vaibhav while returning to Mumbai for the unique experience which I can still vividly remember even to this day.

Other hauntings by sanjubhat

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sanjubhat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blancdada (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-08-25)
I wish I have a friend who would also want to offer visiting their ancestral haunted house with them. 😊
ind_83 (55 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Miracles51031 - I think this jayesh_shri has just gone crazy. She has started again (copying & pasting). Can you stop her? And I am starting to think that she has something personal with the O/P.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
ind_83 - I like that and I like my interpretation of it 😆 I had time to delete one more before heading out, but you're right. There won't be any answers LMAO!
ind_83 (55 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Miracles51031 - I don't think jayesh_shri will be able to answer these questions of yours. Because there is a proverb in english which says "EMPTY VESSELS SOUND MUCH". I hope you understand what I am trying to say about the concerned person. 😉
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
I think I'll clean up the other story 😆. Glad we were working together (even on separate stories LOL) on this one.

I'm sure by the time I get to work this morning, there will probably be a few more to delete 😢
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
That's it... The bus is warmed up... I warned you...

A modified double decker bus pulls up. Sword wielding Pirates either hanging out of the windows or off of the upper deck. As the Driver Puff Bayram spins the steering wheel sending the bus into a sideways slide stopping just before striking jayesh_shri. Twisted Sisters 'We're Not Gonna Take It' BLASTS out of the sound system as the crew disembarks and grabs the TROLL, the first thing they do, tie his hands behind his back so he can no longer 'cut and paste' his TROLLISH COMMENTS.

Puff Bayram

(PS Miracles can you erase the other comment that read the same... It makes no sense with out our 'Trolls Comments, Thank You)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
jayesh_shri - let me ask you a couple of questions, since you are casting doubt on sanjubhat's credibility.

1. Do you personally know sanjubhat?

2. Were you there during each of these experiences and are able to tell us that he is definitely deceiving us?

3. Are you basing your opinion solely on the fact that sanjubhat has shared with us 14 stories? If that's the case, then I must stand before the administrator and members of YGS and confess that I surely have lied and deceived everyone on YGS myself. Since I have submitted 23 stories (and that's not all that I could share.)

4. Oh, and my last question. Is this personal?

By the way, all but this comment of yours is going to be deleted. I'd like your answers.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Oh most learned and knowledgeable jayesh_shri can you ever forgive US the not so knowledgeable as you for thinking so many of the stories on here are ACTUAL EXPERIENCES and not just stories. Can you?

Anyway, on a more realistic note concerning this... Yes the occasional Fictional Story gets through and published but 99.99% of the time the MODS and / or the crew of the Miss Demeanor (you guys know who I mean) either toss it out before publication (the MODS) or roll up on it and toss the appropriate sized BS Blankie on it (The Crew of the Miss Demeanor, cause we dislike the smell of... Well BS Stories).

As far as the question you asked... Can someone have that many experiences... If they are a Sensitive then YES it's very possible. There is also the chance the individual is sharing an experience someone told them about rather than something that happened directly to them.

So jayesh_shri could you do us a favor and STEP OFF!

Puff Bayram (Warming up the Miss Demeanor for TROLL PATROL)
aamod_v (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Nicely narrated. As I mentioned earlier scary apparitions gain energy from your fear. So I guess by first 2 experiences you were scared enough to trigger the last incident. Try to build positive energy next time my friend. It may not make the spirits vanish but surely shall give you courage to face that incident and protect u. All the best for your nest adventure.
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
If that house is haunted, how can a caretaker DARE to take CARE of it?
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
SanjuBhat how come you have had SO MANY paranormal experiences?
alwinmtomy (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
hey sanjay where exactly is this place?
Can you give me its address!'m really interested to visit this place!
chitra (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-09)
Hi Sanjay,
Its a good story... Thanks for sharing your experience
I was very scared while reading this...
anupama (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-04)
Sanjay, just tel me, whenever you have experience encounter with ghost or demons or spirits,
How do feel... I mean what is the first thought comes in your mind? Do you feel depress or nervous or feel scared for 2 or 3 days or what...
I mean how you develop courage to go to hunted places again & again.
Do you follow any special pray? It seems that spirits does't come to you... You go to them...
Sorry to say... But am I right...?. 😁
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
Thanks ZoeAnn. It seems funny when I recollect the incident now. But it sure felt creepy in the house back then. Thanks for your comment.
bozoe6 (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-20)
it sounds like there is a residual haunting in that house, where everything repeats itself over and over. I am truly amazed at you all going downstairs after you heard the footsteps. I would have been too chicken to leave, however I wouldn't want to be left alone.

Thank you for the story... I really enjoyed reading it.

God Bless ❤
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
yup right hehe god bless you dear... And never afraid god is with you always...

Jo BOLE SONIHAAL SAT SHRI AKAAL
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
Thanks for your advice Preeti. Will be careful in future. No more adventures of this kind for me!
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-29)
Oh god... U know what our body gets weak whenever we see a ghost and it becum weaker and weaker and one day id supposedly you see a ghost at that tym it can enter in u...and mean it...i'll advice you to b aware...
God bless
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
hi book_luver123, your father is absolutely right. In the early part of the century in many places in India, people lived in joint families which might have numbered anywhere between 5 - 30. The eldest male member was usually the head honcho. His wife usually was in charge of home affairs & commanded a lot of respect from other junior members of the house. The "No Nonsense" look in her eyes surely conveyed the same.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Hello again I asked my dad who is a history teacher and apparently yes! It was not uncommon for there to be a head of the family and the wife having a lot of authority in the house. She could have been irritated about people disturbing her rest for so long and you guys just got the ruff end of the pineapple. ❤
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-13)
Perhaps the woman came to meet you.😜 BTW her "aura" might mean she was the partner of the head of the House/family I'm not sure if they had head honcho in that culture but the personality fits. 😐
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-13)
Thanks for your comments guys.
It was extremely frightening to say the least... Especially the footsteps and the old lady in the corridor. We did not think much when we actually decided go ahead, but looking back, I agree that it was a crazy decision & I would not recommend it to anyone.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-11)
My god that is scary. My mom cough in the other room in the middle of reading your story, and I jumped a foot. Good story.
GIRLIE 😨
Cherry (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-09)
You guys got the guts to do these kind of things. Are you out of your mind? If I was told that a particular place was haunted I wouln't even venture out there.
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-08)
That's very frightening! I wonder, did Vaibhav ever tell you how often these events happened? They seemed to all show up that one night for you guys and maybe they show up every night or maybe when visitors come. That last event, the woman, must have really been scary. It was a great story, thanks for sharing.

-Hope

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: