You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Peasant Women

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Peasant Women

 

I have been living in my home for less than 5 years now and a lot has gone on since then. I have always believed in spirits and ghosts from a very young age and was interested, but I never thought very seriously about them until now.

Our house is a very old Edwardian to be exact and a church from the Middle Ages is just up our road. We live in a very countryside area, with fields, woods, and marshes. When we first moved in, I didn't feel anything at first or see anything. Me and my family were just unpacking and wondering where to put things. As time went on (a few days or so) I felt like someone was watching me, just me alone. I don't think my parents could feel this but I think my brother could feel like something was around because he didn't like going upstairs on his own. I would sometimes be scared of going to sleep in my room, but that could have been down to my imagination. One day though at the weekend, I was brushing my teeth in front of the shower room mirror in the bathroom next door. The door was open and I very clearly saw out of the corner of my eye a figure only a little taller than me dressed in dull, brown, looking clothes. It looked like it was wearing a very old and worn looking dress, I think also with a shawl or long headscarf over its head with layers of old cloth on its shoulders. It was standing very stiff and still, with its head down. It looked quite menacing. I couldn't see its face that clearly though, I would see that later. It looked like an old peasant lady to me either from Edwardian times or Victorian times, you could tell by looking at the clothes.

After this I started to see it more and more and started to get jumpy over the slightest of things, my parents never saw it though and my brother never saw it either and I didn't know why! Why was I the only one? I thought I was going mad! I remember it coming right up to me, its face only ten centimeters away from mine but its head still looking down. It did this twice to me, when I least expected it. It came right up in front of me and then the next time it did, it was right up to the side of me. It was funny that it always appeared to me in bathrooms, not just the upstairs one but the one downstairs too. I could understand it though, when it appeared in our old living room. It was obvious it was going to appear there.

I will write up the next part soon and that's very soon! Please try and explain why it seemed to appear in bathrooms, the bathrooms are even new parts of the house and why could I only see it? I have started to see other things too outside my own home and in other places, nearly all the time. So I know you might think I'm crazy, but please try to believe me. I wasn't the only one who did see this thing, my parents and brother of course didn't though. The only person who did was my younger cousin and according to her, she can see the dead in her own home and my older cousin can feel when spirits are around. I feel like I am nuts, but I have seen things as clear as day. Please try to believe me.

Other hauntings by xGhostBustersx

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, xGhostBustersx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Hi xGhostBustersx it could just be that your more in tune and suceptable to seeing and feeling these things this could be why only you see it. I have heard that when you start renovating houses it stirs up more activity for some reason.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
xGhostBustersx (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Thank you for all your comments, which all have very interesting things to say 😊. I agree with all the things you say about why it is here and why it keeps appearing in the bathrooms of my home. I deffinately agree with it being scary lol, but I'll ansure the questions. 😊 Sorry but I don't know anything about the history of the house, all I know is that it uesed to be a old farm house, ages ago. Until it was reconstructed and extended, by other owners. My friend and I have tried to look up on the history on the internet, but we found nothing. It's as if it didn't even exsist! Yes we did fix the house up on the inside, we did a lot to it! It's funny thinking over my experiences that it alway appeared more after we fixed the house up inside, mainly the bathrooms. It did appear a few time before when I think about it but it appeared more after. That could be why and the mirrors maybe too. But why did it just appear to me? Apart from my cousin...
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
I recently posted a story called "Doppelganger of my Mother in the Mirror," in which I have also experienced similar incidences to yours. You said that your bathroom is new, did you guys build it or remodel it recently? Renovations to your home can aggravate strange activity. Cosmogal is right; many cultures throughout history believe that mirrors can be portals to another dimension, those who have passed over, or a parallel universe, eg. String theory. If you believe in a heavenly or higher power, pray for protection for you and your family while you're in the bathroom. You can also bless the bathroom by making the sign of the cross and saying a prayer to banish it from your home. Good luck and God bless.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
Hi xGhostBustersx that would have been quite frightning, cosmogal926 beat me to it as I was also going to say the mirrors but there could be another explanation do you know anything about the history of the house?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
Wow that is a pretty creepy story. The way you described her reminded me of a medieval witch. 😨 One theory on why she appeared in or near the bathroom could be because of the mirrors. Some believe that mirrors are portals for spirits. Can't wait to read part 2. Thanks for posting 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: