You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House By The Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

The House By The Cemetery

 

My first stepfather had his own construction business and often times he would take us kids along with him to the job site, he could keep an eye on us and it was free labour. About 10 years ago he got a contract to work on a small house for a family that had purchased it. The house was considered a "fixer-upper" and they had contracted my stepfather out for it. On this particular day he happened to have me and my two step brothers with him. Imagine our surprise when the house we would be working on was right next door to the local cemetery. I don't mean a block away from the cemetery either; you could have jumped the chain link fence in the yard and landed on a tombstone, that's how close the house was to the cemetery. The very idea of working so close to the cemetery already creeped me and my two brothers out but my stepfather told us we were being ridiculous and just to start unloading the truck.

The inside of the house wasn't much better. It had been a bright, sunny, Sunday summer afternoon, but for some reason, the entire house held a chill to it, going from the front yard to the inside of the house, there was a drastic temperature change. I mentioned my observations on the temperature of the house; my stepfather assured me older houses were designed to stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Besides the unusual temperature change in the house, there was just an eerie sensation of being watched; me and my step brothers all felt it. If my stepfather had felt it, he was refusing to acknowledge it.

So we started to go about our business and begin work on the house and for a while he had forgotten everything that had bothered us about the house; until my older stepbrother came running up from the basement holding his nose, blood was leaking from it. He explained to us he was walking down the steps to the basement when out of the blue it had felt like brick had smashed him in the face and he had nearly fallen down the steps from the surprise and the force of the impact on his face. You could tell he was freaked out; he was shaking and sweating even though the house was unusually chilly. We headed downstairs and checked the stairs and the basement, because there was a rogue pipe or something hanging down far enough to smash someone in the face, we'd need to fix it. Unfortunately, we were unable to find anything or offer an explanation as to what had hit him in the face.

Bruised and shaken he went back to work as did the rest of us. We were all working in the kitchen, which was adjacent to door to the basement, when suddenly we heard a door slam from downstairs and someone come stomping up the stairs. We all looked at each other in confusion and sheer horror when we realized all of us where in the same room. At this point I'd like to mention, besides smashing a window out of the basement, the only way to access it was from that door in the kitchen. My step brother, the one who had the "accident" started to freak out and ran up to the door and shut the deadbolt on the door. The stomping footsteps reached the stop of the stairs and the knob on the door twisted as if someone were trying to open the door, when they realized the door had been bolted shut, they started to jerk on the handle and bang on the door. By now my step brother had all of his weight on the door yelling for whatever it was to "stop". Suddenly all of the commotion did stop, the banging, the slamming, it all stopped. We all stood there for a second, all looking white as ghosts. In silence we finished up what we were doing in the kitchen, packed up and left.

My stepfather is a huge sceptic and even when confronted with anything paranormal, he refuses to acknowledge it, even when one of his children is hit in the face with it. To this day he refuses to even acknowledge we worked on the house. After the events that happened, we all refused to go help with the house. For the next week my stepfather would go alone to work on the house, if he had experienced anything else, he never told us.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JarMan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
Good story and well written... Creepy for sure and once upon a time I would have reacted just the same as you did... But I believe now I would have opened the door and confronted the spirit that was on the other side... Who probably like your step father!... When they were alive, were skeptical about life after death... Its possible this spirit does not realize that he or she is dead and is continuing to haunt the area in a lucid like state of consciousness, because if it wanted to it could have floated through the door in spirit no probs... Or? It was trying to scare you and convince the fearless skeptic to get out of there space... Which probably explains the eerie type of sensations which are felt in close quarters with them, the nerve endings under your skin react when another foreign energy is in your vicinity creating the eeriness and temperature decline... Which is also another possible explanation... Thanks for sharing...

Daz.
DCinAZ (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
Well, I'd give this one an 8.0 on the creep-o-meter. Great story, the part where 'it' was trying to open the basement door was it for me, yikes. Sounds like your stepdad took being a sceptic to the Nth degree, huh? I mean, being sceptical, especially when it has to do with the unknown, is one thing, but to deny that ANYTHING ever happened is just being stubborn. Plus, by him denying these experiences ever occurred he's essentially calling you kids liars, right? Oh what a tangled web we weave... Sorry Jarman, I just couldn't resist that one.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
This story is just a reminder that you can be harmed by spirits/ghosts. I've heard that they can't harm you but after going through some of the things that I have gone through, I beg to differ with anybody on that one. If they can beat on doors, twist door knobs, knock things on the floor and other things, they can surely touch you or cause you harm and also make you harm yourself trying to get away from them. This was a very angry person in life and sounds like he/she was angry in death. It may have been the fact that the house was being remodeled and they didn't approve of it. Remodeling either will make the haunting go away or make it increase even more. I know, I grew up in a haunted house and feel as though a lot of my childhood was robbed by the things that occured in this house.
My husband doesn't believe in ghosts either. He thinks that when a person dies, that's the end. The rest of us know better than that.
Thank you for sharing!
Neertzy (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
I've never heard of a spirit/ghost ever actually causing physical harm to another person. I've heard and encountered the "feeling" of being touched or squeezed. If this is the truth, that is beyond anything I've ever heard and seen, and it really puts my ideas and beliefs in a conflict. Great story, great experience, I envy you for facing it. Thank god your brother wasn't anymore hurt than that.
Evanescence1807 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
very scary, I used to have a dream that there was a cemtery right in the back yard of my house. The thing is I don't live close to one, its like a mile away.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
I Would Had Been p.O. If My stepdad take the picture away and tear up from me That is rude of him. My family is same way like your stepdad They don't believe in supernatural and your story is scary glad no spirt hit you like it did to your step brother.
JarMan (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-26)
No, I no longer live at that house. I've moved a long time ago.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-26)
Jarman- You know, that kind of sounds like my dad. He hadn't really (to the best of my knowledge) encountered anything paranormal, but he would dismiss the topic if it ever came up, like on tv, or a conversation.

He had to rethink his position on the matter, though, when we went on a ghost tour, and had some pretty convincing experiences and pictures we took on the digital.

Its a shame that you can't remember the address. I bet it had some quirky history (what can I say, I love weird history).

Are you still living in the house you took the picture in?
JarMan (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-26)
It was a long time ago and at the time I wasn't interested in these things as I am now. I have since long forgotten the address of the town and I never did look into the history of the house.

As for my step father, he refused to ever acknowledge anything like this story. At one point when I was around 11 I was messing with my Mother's camera and took a picture of the kitchen in the dark, at night.

When the picture developed it looked like a shadow of a full body of a person floating about a half a foot off the ground in front of the cabinet. My step father wrote it off as a reflection and took the picture away from me. Later on I found out he destroyed it.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-26)
Wow, this is a creepy story. After those instances, I don't blame you for not wanting to work on it anymore.

Did you get any background info on the house, by chance?

Thank you for posting, and welcome to YGS. 😊 ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-26)
JarMan: Wow, what an experience, specially for your step-brother!...Have you had any contact with the current owners or been back by the house since then?...It's a pretty common belief that renovation stirs "things" up, and also, one poster here believes that spirits are drawn to places that have lain uninhabited for a while...

Welcome to YGS by the way, and it's nice to have a skeptic amoung us who is as considerate and mannerly as you... Great story, and I'm interested in hearing more about your investigations as well... Thank you for posting... 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-26)
Whoa that was creeeepy! I don't blame you guys for not wanting to go back there. Your stepfather was either very brave or just determined not to believe what was going on in that house. Cool story 😊
JarMan (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-26)
For awhile when I was living at my Mother's the door to my room would open and close on it's own. I got tired of it so I started to lock my door, one night, something tried to open the door, found out it was locked, got pissed and started to assault the door and then just stopped. I have never been physically hurt my a spirit.
CrimsonAsh (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-26)
wow nice story. But what happened afterwards? Do the same things happen to you now?

❤ CA

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: