You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Plastic Face

Real Ghost Stories

The Plastic Face

 

I've never felt that my family's house was haunted, but as a kid I was still afraid of the dark, and would usually go climb into bed with my parents if I had a bad dream or was afraid at night. One night I went and crawled in beside my mom on the edge of the bed facing the window. I can't really be sure if I fell asleep or not (I don't think I did), but I remember hearing a rustling sound over by the window, like the sound of a breeze blowing through a plastic bag. Right beneath the big bedroom window was a small padded bench on which my mom would put decorative pillows and other knicknacks.

As I looked at this bench, I thought I could see what looked like a transparent piece of crinkled Saran Wrap moving back and forth behind it. Suddenly the thing rose up from behind the bench to reveal a bizarre face that, once again, seemed to be made out of Saran Wrap: totally transparent and 'crinkled'. The face had a somewhat surprised expression, as if it were saying, "Oh! I didn't expect to see you here". It had a nose, a mouth, and two eyes, but the eyes were very strange, like cartoony swirls spinning weirdly in their sockets.

I only saw the face for a split second, but for some reason it sent a wave of chilling terror through me that I can still remember to this day, as I write these words. I shut my eyes tight and I think I must have been shaking, because my mom briefly woke up and asked if I was alright. I was so frightened that I couldn't speak, and she didn't say anything more.

I'm not sure what the face was, as I've never seen it again. One strange thing was that for years after, I would see things when I closed my eyes at night. When I first slammed my eyes shut after seeing the face, I could see things in the darkness, things that seemed to be copies of the face's slowly spinning curly-cue eyes. After that, I could see what seemed to be actual eyes, floating by in the darkness, looking blurry and misty, as if seen through some kind of smoke. I'm not sure what this event meant or what the face was, or, really, if the whole thing even happened. If anybody has any ideas or thoughts I would love to hear them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Foradren, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

erin19 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Very interesting! The eyes, mouth and nose sound very scary! 😨
Foradren (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-04)
Sorry for taking a while to respond, all.
-Rain, it sounds like you saw something similar to what I saw. If so, perhaps it gels with the theory that these things are low-level spirits/demons/whatever that try to scare younger people...
-Shinigami, thanks for your comment. I've never seen it or anything like it again, but if I do, I'll have to insist that it explains itself!
-Bandet, I puzzled that one over for a long time, but I don't believe it was just a piece of saran wrap. The way it moved was way too deliberate--first moving back and forth sharply, and then popping up suddenly from behind the bench.
-Ishmael, I'm sure you're right, and it was just trying to catch my attention to scare me. I can't fathom the way spirits' "minds" work, but lots of stories suggest that they can be immature, petty and selfish.
-Kindtommy, yeah, the thing with the eyes is what really makes me think I actually saw something... The 'lasting effect' was very unusual.
-Ruth, I'm pretty sure there was no plastic behind the pillow or behind the bench... I checked first thing in the morning (it's easy to be brave when the sun is up), but nothing was there. It's weird though, since the thing made a sound like crinkling plastic...
TonysGirlRuth (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-03)
Was that piece of plastic already behind the pillow? I know that the paranormal can mess with physical objects (I mean inanimate objects) but it takes A LOT of concentration. Maybe the spirit, or demon, or whatever it was, was trying to give you an insight on what it looks like. Maybe try to open your mind and talk to it? That's not always the best idea.
kindtommybob (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-30)
wow that seems spooky.
What was that about the eyes? Hmmm...
Ishmael9100 (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-29)
Foradren, as many people have said in the comments, that being/entity was trying to catch your attention. I have thought deeply about this and it all makes sense to me. The Ghost probably knew that you was a young child and it shaped itself to look like something that would catch the eye of the young and probably freak out the young too. This scared me as I read it because I can surely imagine what that face looked like. Great story:)

Ishmael9100. 😁
bandet888 (86 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-29)
Foradren is it possible that what you saw was a real piece of saran wrap with a picture of a face on it and the reason you only saw it for a second is because the wind turned the saran wrap over?
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-27)
Oh my, that must have been scary, regardless if it were a hallucination from coming out or going into a dream, or if it were a spirit!
If it was a spirit, I'm sure it was only trying to get your attention, or perhaps enjoy the perks of being a spirit, who knows? Ghosties can be pretty quirky at times, but most of the time, they just want to be noticed.
I hope this entity never bothered you anymore. Can't imagine what would come next, LOL!

And just so you don't feel alone, when I used to have nightmares and whatnot as a tiny kid, I would always speed off towards my mom and dad's room. I completely understand wanting to do that.
Thanks for sharing.

Au Revior. 😊 ❤
RainxOnxMyParade (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-22)
I too experienced a similar thing when I was 13, I have always slept in the dark but for some reason on the night of april 7th I kept a lamp on in my room. At first I thought I was dreaming, I got cold chills up my back and felt like I couldn't move, when I opened my eyes I could make out a face in my bedroom curtains it too had a shocked expression and had wide dark eyes. Thinking I was still dreaming I closed my eyes but when I opened them the face had appeared to move closer only this time it was looking right at me and smiling. I called out to my parents shaking and almost crying and it dissapeared, I haven't seen it since then but more things have occoured and the experiences have gotten much worse
Foradren (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-20)
I think you guys are absolutely right--whatever this was, I'm sure (as lulu mentioned) it was having some mean-spirited fun scaring a little kid, and possibly 'testing out its chops' as DC suggested.
Your comments to date have all been encouraging and thought-provoking, so thanks for that. You know, it seems to me that this thing, and others like it, are essentially bullies, scaring people and making them feel small and helpless, for kicks, or 'energy', or whatever. As humans, we can fight back, but we're weak when it comes to 'understanding the unknown'. And I think demons and mean spirits take advantage of that, scaring us and denying us the ability to understand them, their nature, and their motives. If I ever see this plastic face again (in this world), I'll have some serious questions for it. I probably won't see it, because wherever this cowardly thing is, it probably knows that an adult is more likely to stand up and demand some answers, rather than run and hide. Well. If that's the case, I'll be looking for it come judgement day.
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-19)
Foradren, well my theory is not very creative but I'll stand by it anyway. I believe this entity/spirit/ghost was just a "Beginer" trying to test it's newfound skill (or talent) on for size. You know, to see what it could do. That would explain the transparency, distorted shape, odd sound, and cartoonish eyes. Not to mention the look of surprise when it noticed you noticing it. 😊
soccer3425 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-18)
[at] Jitow I loved your explanation. You should post that somewhere that gets a lot of traffic. "Remember the reason for the season." Spread the word.
lulu1409 (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-18)
I think whatever that thing was, it was having fun scaring you and was joyful to have gotton what it wanted. Also, I think it was real because it probably just wanted to scare you bad that time so that you would carry that with you forever. I advise randomly saying, "The lord Jesus will protect me" whenever you can just in case it can hear you. Plus, that might help you get over it a little and show you are strong.
Jitow (362 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-18)
Foradren, this is where I think it is still murky. Say there are, for whatever reason, some random spirits just floating down the street. We don't know what their needs are of if they have any needs at all. I believe that they have no physical needs like shelter or food. What is their purpose, why are they the only ones floating around, why would they come into this person's bedroom? Why would they want to scare people? My point is that the demonic have a purpose, they have the power to manifesst in many ways, they are smart and professionals in the spiritual sense. They very rarely hit anyone head on in the beginning, it usually starts with a test that can last for years as it methodically aclimatatizes the victom to its presence. I think the question of human or in-human spirit is based on what its possible intent could be. Ghost may scare or suprise someone, the demonic hates, it terrorizes and it has a purpose. They have knowledge of a the secrets of spirituallity, they are not particularly smart in and of themselves. I would like someone to explain to me why a human spirit would want to come back. I think when you leave this earth there is no unfinished. I have never had a dead relative come back and believe me, they had unfinished business, I had to probate theeir estates. Most people that deny the demonic exsist do so because they will have to admit that God (the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob) the creator of all things including angels of which 1/3 were cast out of Heaven because of their own pride and the fact that God placed His children above them in rank. Those created beings with all the power and knowledge that God gave them now use it to deceive and confuse people to keep them from a loving relationship from Christ long enough for them to die or convince them to off themselves in order to hurt God, not defeat, sata was defeat when Christ was ressurrected,. All they work for now is to deceive as many people today long enough to condemn them to hell. That is painful to God and He wishes that all people accept His love and go to Heaven, but He gave us all free will including the angels to choose to love Him or not. As I have said before when people ask, how could a loving God send good people to hell? The answer is always the same, God has never sent anyone to hell, people choose to go to hell because they do not choose God. That is why people are so mad at Christians and God is because they do not want to choose. Many want what is in the world and they want God, they want all the sin, but not the consequences. He told us plainly in His word that we cannot serve 2 masters. We cannot serve ourselves and Him at the same time. We cannot serve satan and God at the same time. We cannot be perfect either, He is perfect. Jesus died so that we could be continually renewed and forgiven before God. It is Christ blood that makes us right with Him. But you have to accept the sacrifice, you have to say, yes I believe that His blood washes away my sin. Remember the Reason for the season.
Foradren (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
These are some very interesting points--
Robertar, good point about these sort of creatures always acting surprised when they're discovered. I'm sure that this 'thing' (if it was real) was not actually surprised. The expression definitely seemed 'put on'.
Jitow--not a ghost you say: that is definitely food for thought. Something demonic perhaps? An elemental? I wonder what it would be doing in my house... I think this site is the first time I've come across the concept of these spirits and entities 'passing through', though, so there could be something to that.
See, the main thing is I've heard lots of stories about shadow people and such, but never something resembling what I saw... And never something with a lasting reaction...
Jitow (362 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
If it was not a dream, it was not a ghost either. It would take a lot of energy to pull something off like that. Not to alarm you or anything. If you ever feel uncomfortable or see anything agan, try saying Jesus Loves Me! Out loud. I guarantee it will work.
robertar (223 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
i've read/heard a number of accounts where people encounter weird entities who re-act as if surprised. I tend to wonder that they are not surprised at all but are putting on a show for some reason. Just a few accounst that come to memory:

A little imp/elf that walks up to a country house, pulls a stool up to the window to climb up and look in, then acting surprised when it looks at the little boy watching ll while sitting outside his own home.

Another little "thing" making noise in the bathtub, playing with the soap and shampoo bottles as if taking a bath. Making all kinds of noise in a quiet house when everyone is asleep, then acting surprised when a kid walks in to see what the heck is going on.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
very cool story.
Bad dreams usually fade from memory, coming out of childhood into adulthood... Safe to say there may be something real to your tale.
Foradren (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Yeah, I've often wondered if it was all a dream--it's been at least 15 years since it happened, I'm sure, maybe even 20. An odd thing about it, is that I don't recall a specific point where I 'woke up', or'snapped out of it' like you usually get when you wake up from a dream. What makes me really scratch my head, though, is the apparent 'after effects'--seeing things when I closed my eyes, that is. I know that never happened before I saw the face, and it was a good few years before I stopped seeing things when I'd close my eyes at night. Another point of interest, is that the "closed eye visions" were more persistent in the winter, and much less so in the summer.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
That is really bizarre... It sounds like some half-manifested spirit, or perhaps a mid-dream state hallucination? I can't be sure, but it definitely gave me chills reading about it! Especially the eyes...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: