You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Face In The Camera Screen

Real Ghost Stories

The Face In The Camera Screen

 

This isn't a big story, but it still has me rattled and I felt worth sharing.

I am an investigating consultant for insurance companies. Basically, I get hired to go out and look at property insurance (building/homeowners, etc) claims when the insurance company is having a hard time figuring it out to try to determine what happened.

Unfortunately, I am considered an essential employee during the COVID19 shutdown, and still have to go into people's homes. I have been wearing white disposable dust masks as a precaution, and request the homeowners put a mask on if they can so we can avoid spreading anything to each other.

A week or so ago, I had a claim to inspect in a 1850's Victorian house in NE Ohio near Erie, PA. The house was a bed and breakfast at one point and absolutely huge. There were rumors of the home having been involved in the Underground Railroad.

For the purpose of my inspection, I had to go into the basement. The basement was like a maze with brick vaulted supports in areas; portions you can stand, and portions that are only crawlspaces. I was wearing my N95 mask, and the homeowner was wearing one as well. I went into a portion of the basement where I had to hop up over this partial wall and duck under a low brick archway support (kind of looked like a pizza oven), then it opened up into a larger area where I could partially stand. I'm taking photographs for my report, using an actual digital camera vs. My phone. The digital camera had one of those rear facing image screens, would flash the image of the photo I just took, hold it on the screen for a second, then the screen would go blank for a second before it would pull up the live view for me to take my next photo.

As I take a picture, when the screen goes blank, I see a reflection of a woman right behind me in the screen. I assumed it was the homeowner who followed me into this area, but it still startled me. I turn to look and there's nobody there. This all took place over the course of a second. So I go back to the opening to this room and look out and see the homeowner standing in a different part of the basement with her N95 mask on. The reflection I saw was not wearing an N95 mask.

So I'm freaked out, but I still have to continue my inspection. I take another picture, and sure enough, there's a reflection of someone in the room behind me. It wasn't my own reflection because I could see my face, which since I'm close to the camera was so big it took up half the screen. This was like the shoulders, neck, and head of a female figure standing about 5-6 feet behind me over my right shoulder. I turn around --- nobody there. Since I paid better attention this second time, I noticed the figure was wearing some type of head covering, like a tight hood or a bonnet, but it was very thin material and tight around her head. She was definitely female, but looked older than the homeowner who was probably in her 30's, this lady looked about late 40's. So I continued my inspection and didn't see the reflection again.

I was there for professional reasons and didn't want to come off weird bringing up that I think I saw a ghost in her basement, so I didn't outright bring it up to the homeowner, but I asked a few leading questions to try to get her to talk about if she thought her house was haunted - she didn't say anything.

So who knows, but I definitely saw something!

Other hauntings by NorthCoastie19

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NorthCoastie19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NorthCoastie19 (2 stories) (8 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-09)
Also... Image in screen seemed aware in my opinion... Like she was watching me. Sorry to anyone without a paycheck didn't mean to sound blase about it... Alive and on unemployment beats risking your families lives in my opinion though. At least now my company provides PPE though so things looking up.
NorthCoastie19 (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-05-09)
Hi all... Nothing showed up in my pictures. The crawlspace was dimly lit with maybe one or two utility lights.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-05-05)
NorthCoastie - Keeping a straight face when talking to your client after the inspection must have been a tad difficult. Besides, you'd probably have scared her out of her slippers.

Good thing you didn't mention the incident to her or your employers might have advised you to further your talent in ghost investigation instead of insurance claims investigation.

Report beginning: "Your insured, Ms Smith, has no claim as it would appear that a third party, i.e. A ghostly entity in her basement, caused the damage to the (whatever). The insured has no cover for such eventualities"

I'm not trying to make light of your experience because I realise it must have been rather scary but I must admit I had quite a chuckle!

Regards, Melda
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-05-05)
Hi NorthCoastie!

That's cool! I want to echo Tweed's question: Did the woman's spirit seem to be aware?

I understand that going into homes is scary since you have a child and do not want your family to come into contact with Covid 19. You said it was "unfortunate" that you are considered essential; but this whole thing is unfortunate. I wish I was essential because I have never been more penniless in my life.

- Maria
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-05)
I noticed that the homeowner did not follow you into the area where you saw the reflections. Maybe she was reluctant because of the haunts that you appeared to have seen in the reflection of your digital camera, Very interesting read!
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-05-04)
NorthCoastie, ghosts just love evading the camera!

I think you're lucky to have had this experience. Did the woman in the reflection appear to be aware she was seen by you?

Cool experience, thanks for sharing.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-04)
Hello NorthCoastie 19,

It is quite a risk-filled profession you have of inspection during this Covid-19 crisis. My prayers for your well-being.

Well, Have you captured any pictures of this entity on your camera?
Considering you have witnessed it twice or so.

How was the lighting in that corner of the basement?
Was it bright enough to visualise things clearly or was it a bit dull and dark?

You see, often a times it happens that poor lighting or any such issues cast a hazy figure of the nearby objects which appears as human figures, like some old clothing, paintings etc.

If you probably have any pictures of this entity or any picture somehow capturing a glimpse of it, please share it on this page.

Honestly, it's very helpful in providing a proper judgement on this matter.

Interesting read.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: