You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Smile You Don't Forget

Real Ghost Stories

A Smile You Don't Forget

 

I grew up in southern California. When I was young I lived in a house that was about 90 years old. I do know that my great grandfather hung himself there, and that the house had been exorcised about 20 years before I was born due to bizarre occurrences.

When I was about seven years old there was a big lightning storm going on outside. I couldn't sleep that night because of all the flashes outside. I was sleeping on the couch at the time. I got up to get a drink of milk; the kitchen was only ten feet away from where I was sleeping. I walked into the kitchen and a flash of lightning lights everything up. It was during that flash that I saw something. About five feet away from me there was a figure. I can't say for sure if he was wearing some kind of cloak, I was only seeing his face. All I remember was seeing huge black eyes, or maybe they were holes. What I remember the most was his huge mouth. He had what looked like shark teeth, and his smile was way too large to be normal, I mean if I could see more I'm sure his mouth would have gone from ear to ear. As soon as the kitchen went dark I turned around and ran for my mom's room. Needless to say I didn't sleep that night.

About two years after that my mom brought my younger brother and I with her to meet her boyfriend's parents. We got bored and asked if we could ride some bikes we saw in the garage. We rode around and saw that we could ride around on some trails that were down the hill from where my mom was. My brother and I decided to race and we got on two separate trails and started pedalling as fast as we could. I had the wind making noise in my ears, but finally I heard my brother screaming my name. I look over and he is trying to keep up and he keeps saying" JOHN LOOK OUT!" I turned around and there was a truck not more than 2 feet behind my back tire and I was already going as fast as I could. I looked forward to see where I could go and saw a spot that wasn't a Joshua tree or a cactus. I look back to see if he was still close and notice that the truck is all rusty and really old. I look at the driver and it's the same thing I see in the kitchen, that mouth and those teeth. He seemed to be laughing because his head is just going from left to right and he wasn't even really looking at me just jerking his head left and right. I ran off into some bushes and the truck doesn't even slow down, as soon as it hits the road it does a hard right and speeds off.

My brother and I have talked about it. He saw how big the mouth was on that guy, he told people about it, his words are" He doesn't just have a big mouth, I mean that thing is too big to be human, like his whole mouth is half his face". I was in my old home last year and in the kitchen I stood where I was standing that night. I'm six foot one, that thing had to be around six foot six because the ceiling is not that tall. Black eyes (or just big holes in his head, I can't say for sure) a huge smile, and gigantic teeth. I have been trying to draw this thing, trying to figure out what it is.

I found this site and I hope someone on here can shed some light on what this could be/mean. I see things in the corner of my eyes every once and awhile but nothing on the scale of those two encounters. Sorry for the length but I am trying to be descriptive.

Thank you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Crisisrevenge, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

bvortex (1 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
😁 Ironically I was just looking across many blogs etc... Looking for any info on the same Entity... I experienced the same type thing...3.ft to 4ft... Very animated skinny, large head, HUGE smile like its fixed, no nose, and black I wouldn't say holes, or anything alien like... Because they would change sizes from small to big... All white all over... Breathed really heavy and loud... Darted around hiding behind things. I've seen him probably a dozen times... One time I was at a bar on Sunset blvd... Used to be called Dublins... I was ordering a drink and everything went into slow motion... Except I heard that breathing... And this white blacked eye little man with a shiat eating grin... Jumping behind people and waving at me... Then snap everything went back to normal and he was gone. I started drawing him over and over, Id see him every where... I used to live in the Janes addiction music studio on abbot kinney in vencie and one night I had a couple girls over and my homie... We were drinking wine... Nothing else... All alone just the four of us... Place was locked up... Venice at night right? And we started talking n drinking then we all heard that damn breathing coming from a room divider curtain... About 10 ft from us... We stopped and stared and HE POPPED HIS HEAD FROM BEHIND IT... With that BIG SMILE... We all saw him... The girls screamed... And he disappeared behind the curtain... My homie and I grabbed whatever makeshift weapons and I grabbed at the curtain and he wasn't there... Well that ruined our night... We all left. What I have found around that time was this... I told another friend and he showed me this book on the "the church of the Sub Genius... And they have this spirit called the NHGH... Son of Loki... Http://subgenius.wikia.com/wiki/NHGH
Naerious (1 posts)
-3
7 years ago (2017-02-16)
I don't know who he is, but he has no eyes, they're just black and he's pale and has hair all over his head and there's black tears down his face. I close my eyes and I see him. He talks to me often, he says he wants to eat my heart and steal my soul. I actually have full blown coversations with him as crazy as it sounds. He's nice one moment and mean the next. But I can always see his face in my head. He has that shiat eating ear to ear smile with sharp teeth. He doesn't scare me which sorta makes him angry. Sometimes he just yells the cruelest things in my head over and over but it honestly doesn't faze me. It bothers him that he can't get under my skin. When I'm not paying attention I start doodling and it's always the same picture, the crazy hair and soulless eyes with black tears. Then I hear him, and we go back in forth and I get a feeling of not being able to breath like someone has a grip on my heart and when I end the conversation I find myself having to take deep breaths like I haven't been breathing. I started to think I was just having weird conversations with myself but that isn't the case I guess. He gets meaner and ask me to do things that go against my moral grain. When he goes always I hear voices telling me to stop speaking to him and ignore him. But I find the banter entertaing and humorous most of the time. He always says he wants me and I always reply "when hell freezes" and he says he can make it happen. I honestly don't know what to make of it, I've looked for his description and pictures but I never find any. I don't know, I just wanted to share this because it seems like you saw him.
LWin0702 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-14)
I was seven years old. I had a very similar experience. To this day I have the image in my head... Twenty some odd years later. I was in bed, and turned over. Staring at me was this little man with a round face, and grin from ear to ear. There were these tiny little sharp razor like teeth, and these round black eyes. I remember pulling the blankets over my head and crying. I just started doing research on this. From the result I've dug up, it seems as though I may have seen a demon? Any more thoughts to this? I just can't shake the visual, it haunts me to this day
SoCoZaino (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
Hi John, I'm live in Manchester England, I have never seen the man in your story but my friends (whom are brothers) told me when they where younger they where walking with their mum and they saw a man of the same description drive past them and smile and they both saw him and are still scared by the Image to this day, when they told me I was interested in finding more out about this "man" and I'm so intrigued in the fact that somebody else has seen him! Thank you for your story!:-)
courage10 (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-23)
i read scary stories a lot I have liked them for as long as I can remember but I read real ones more often and I hear so many people talk about the smile once I read one about a little boy playing at a playground at around 1030pm and it followed the jogger telling the story for 2 days
luce (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Thanks for the spooky story John.
I wonder if there were other kids who were haunted by this guy...
kat1985 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-29)
I believe your story 100%! Sometimes it's hard for some people to believe stuff like this because the haven't experienced it themselves. I haven't ever experienced anything like this but have heard stories from other people that have. I'm glad you haven't seen this thing since.
Amibear (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-28)
Have you ever watched The Gravedancers?
You should watch it, the description of the man you give reminds me of a woman who gets possessed in it.

(she dies after the possession) but she's playing the piano and when they call the girls name she doesn't acknowledge it but when they call the spirits name (which is Emma or something) she stops playing and messes it up and just sits there, then they call it again and she turns around. Then she kind of floats around with an axe and tries to kill them all. So yeah:D

The mouth you describes reminds me of her mouth, you should watch it! I got it on DVD, it terrified me coz' I watched it on my own when I was 13 in the dark! So yeah, if I saw her in reall life and again the next day - Especially in a thunder & lightening storm - I would be past terrified...

Amibear xx ❤
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-28)
Very intersting. And terrifying. Its interesting that both you and your brother recall the same thing. My brother and I recall a strange event from when we were kids so this struck a note with me.
I've read of very strange things happening similar to this but in the context of the UFO/alien encounter phenomena. Perhaps that's another avenue to pursue. Thanks for your story 😊
juju92 (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-27)
hey jhon that's your name?...abviously you saw him in your kitchen at midnight which he wasn't suppose to be there. And know for sure six feet to six it's not human. It's too clear but I think it's just your mind conclution or you actually want to see this thing sometimes your mind can trick you with things which is not exisited. Cause in paraphsicology. Your mind is capable to do a lot more then you could even believe it...
Kage076 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-26)
I find this story to be a strange one to say the least. The first incident I have no trouble believing. Seeing as how it was an electrical storm (and night as well) it seems that it would only make sense for the air that night to be electrically charged, which would certainly help the spirit appear.
The second incident I find a bit strange. If it was indeed a spirit the first time, I find it strange that he manifested himself in daylight, and had enough energy to visually manifest himself as well as drive a truck.
So I have to ask you, how positive are you about your memory of this? Studies have shown that sometimes your memory can be altered by later thought and recollection. Perhaps it was your own mind telling you later that that is indeed what you saw, but in reality it was something a bit different that actually had occurred
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
Crisis, I live RIGHT around the corner from there. That is scary!
Crisisrevenge (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
Thankyou everyone, its been more than ten years since I've seen it. I live in texas now in a house that is supposedly haunted but in california I was seeing things in the corner of my eyes... Crazy stuff like that. Everything has kind of slowed down here.

Anyways, I wanted to correct my story, it was my great great grandfather who hung himself, my great grandfather told me about it when me and him tore the shed down that it happened in.

You know I lived in Mira Loma when I was a kid, before that it was called Wineville. I lived about three minutes away from the chicken-coop-killer's house. That entire town should be haunted because he buried his victims all over the place. I feel bad for my family still living there.
clarencetuvera (7 stories) (41 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
There are two things that could drive a person to commit suicide: extreme sadness, or extreme madness. If your grandfather committed suicide - as you yourself said, he hanged himself - something must have driven him to it.

Maybe, just maybe, you and your brother saw what it was that your grandfather last saw before he hanged himself. It may even be your grandfather, as he perceived himself in his own world. And until his issues are resolved, he will never feel normal, nor will he appear normal to your perception.

I must confess though, that given my religious background, I tend to be more of a skeptic, even though I've had my own brushes with the paranormal. Somehow, a part of my brain holds back and say, "This is sillier that bird bath."

But still, I get scared easy. I rationalize later. And your story scared me, and left strong images in my mind of a tall figure, with huge black holes for eyes and unbelievably wide grin full of razor sharp teeth.

Shiver-me-timbers.
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Terrifying story. I believe you saw a negative entity that night as a child. Could be an after effect of what happened in your house with your great grandfather. Negative energy is attracted to places where tradgic events happened. Even after an exorcism, some places, not all, still have spirits active there. Also, you could be somewhat sensitive to spirits. If you see things out of the corner of your eyes, then you might be seeing spirits. This 'thing' knows one thing. You could see it. Since it only happen twice, maybe that's the only times you may see it. Very interesting. Stay calm, and try to keep a cool head. Be observing. If nothing else weird, or too bad happens, then you'll be alright. Right now, you are just noticing things. Hang in there.
aya22 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Sounds like something straight out of a horror movie because it appeared during the lightning strike. Definitely frightening! Gave me chills to read. Glad you don't see it anymore. 😊
dywongsty (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Something similar to it happened to me when I was growing up in Taiwan, I believe I was in 2nd grade.

I was walking by an elementary school with my mom and I saw a businessman (I assumed he was a business from the suit and briefcase he was carrying) was walking towards us, nothing seeemed unusual until he was just about to walk pass me. He turned his head toward me in a really awkward position. He had fangs like what a vampire would look like and all I could see was his pupils. They were pitch black and he was making a noise that sounded like a duck (I know it sounds funny). I quickly grabbed my mom's hand and asked her why that man was making such a funny noise and my mom said she did not hear anything. All she saw was a businessman walking by. I saw the man a few times after so I decided to talked to my parents about it and got them worried so they took me to a hospital for some check ups (My dad is a doctor so he is paranoid like that) but the doctors said I was fine. I never saw the guy again after I turned 11.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
holy crap that is scary as crap! It sounds like a scary evil clown. That would've freaked me out beyond all belief! It does sound demonic as it is obviously getting a kick out of scaring the crap out of you.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Thank you for sharing your story. I would have had a hard time believing this too if I had not seen something similar in appearance.

I wrote a story on here a while back about my experience playing the "Bloody Mary" game in the bathroom. The spirit that I saw when I was a child appeared as a woman with a mouth full of serrated, shark-like teeth, and a mouth too wide for her face. I wonder if this is a spirit that commonly scares only children? It might be something born of childish fears.
Crisisrevenge (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
[at] Trix

Your reaction is understandable, and no it wasn't the jeepers creepers truck lol, it had a bunch of rust on it but there was still blue paint here and there. I watched it drive off, it looked more like a 1960s ford pickup.

[at] claws
Im twenty now, this took place when I was a little kid, but I haven't seen it since then. I wish I could have given more specifics but those are the only characteristics that I could really make out. That and its height but that's a mere estimation
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Hi Crisisrevenqe, sorry but this is a bit too much for me to even try to believe it. How in the word can a creature with a big mouth and black eyes speeding around town in an old rusty truck? You must be deaf not to hear the rumbling sound of an old truck so close behind you. Are you sure it's not the one from Jeepers Creepers? Trix. 🤔
Claws (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Black eyes are one of the defining characteristics of demons. So, it could be a demon. The mouth thing really throws me off, but still it could very well be a demon. Next time you see it, and I know this sounds hard, but try not to show fear. Ignore it, and move on.
😕 Even though it sounds truly terrifying. I hope I helped

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: