You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Black Thing

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Thing

 

It started out with my older brother, his friends, and I in the woods along the bike-trail behind the Countryside YMCA in Lebanon, Ohio. This was a few years back, so I was about 14 years old at the time.

It was around two in the morning, we were goofing off, just being teenagers. It was very dark in the woods, but thankfully we had flashlights. It was mid-summer, so it was very warm outside.

It started getting weird when it suddenly became cold, and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck and my arms stand up. I abruptly felt nauseous, albeit it being cold I began sweating. I noticed everyone else was dead silent.

I could see my brother looking around, and he finally stood dead in his tracks, looking out into the distance. He then said "What the hell is that?" and pointed out something among the tree-line. We all looked, and we saw it. It was a shadow, blacker than the black of the night. It stood about eight-ten feet tall, and it had a very human-like shape.

You could tell it had a head, and then shoulders, but we didn't see any arms or legs, it appeared as a long trench-coat type of thing that just faded out to the ground.

We stood there, for what seemed like over an hour, just watching it. Then, it moved. The odd thing about its movement though, was it moved sideways, and there was no bobbing with its "walking", and no sounds of footsteps. All that was heard was the sound of leaves rustling beneath it. It moved rather quickly though, and that was when we said "Screw that!" and darted away.

As soon as we jumped the fence and finally escaped the woods, the sick feeling and coldness left. It was one of the oddest experiences I have ever felt.

To this day, I still sometimes visit the woods every now and then with my friend Hannah, but only in daytime. She commented once she felt cold and sick whilst near the same area I saw "the black thing".

I did some research on the area, and it turns out the place was once a site where Indians lived before it was annexed. I don't know if that has anything to do with the black thing though.

I have never been back in the night though, but I plan on doing so this summer with my brother.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? And I apologize, this is my first post, so it may not be all that detailed. Thanks in advance.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EliteParanoid, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DerekBernard23 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
4 SURE go back there, somthing like that happened to me, it happened 4 years ago so I was like 10 and I go back to that spot all the time but havnt seen it sents that day
EliteParanoid (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
Thanks everyone, something bad probably did happen back there. This helps a lot.:3
Bela_LeGhostie (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
You're quick to be so kind. ❤ I've been a member for quite awhile, but will remember next year to skip visiting on the Fools Day. 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Bela_LeGhostie - I'm sure if you come back tomorrow, it should meet with your approval. If not, there are other sites that don't behave in this manner.
Bela_LeGhostie (guest)
-3
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Kind of an inappropriate venue for joking around, and the word replacement is pretty dopey. 😐
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
I'm assuming that the webmaster is enjoying an April Fool joke.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
I'm not sure why my comment reads, "clown figures", as I had meant to type, "shadow figures".
GeminiGoat (22 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-31)
Something horrible and tragic probably happened at that particular place. Indians were treated less than humans so you can imagine why a dark spirit as the one you saw, dwells at a location where there was much pain and suffering. I believe that places can become cursed and haunted, not by human spirits, but by angels and (familiar spirits, which I think imatate and take the personality of people who have died. Usually when people encounter a spirit in the form of a dark shadow, especially when it's cloaked in all black, they will feel fear, threatend, sick like you, and hatred towards them. We should never forget or ignore the horror of life, but evil will torment without mercy and not allow any healing. So you can assume that this may have been an evil and malovent being that doesn't let the living pass through that spot peacefully because of the past. It will probably stay there until a greater power commands it to leave or when the world ends.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
Shadow figures are often reported, looking very much as you describe. The first one I ever saw used to appear at the end of a hallway at a friend's place, almost directly beneath the ceiling light; we called it "the thing in the shroud".

If you walked toward it, it would vanish.

Thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: