You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: At The Golden Fleece

Real Ghost Stories

At The Golden Fleece

 

On a ghost hunt to The Golden Fleece in the city of York in the U.K, this Tudor fronted public house is reputed to be one of the oldest inns in York and its origins can traced to around 1500. It is rumored to be one of the most haunted buildings in Yorkshire, let alone York, paranormal activity recorded here includes strange light analomies, items been thrown off the bar.

The Golden Fleece as gained a reputation of being haunted by a variety of eerie spectres from ghostly children dressed in rags are said to be heard running up and down the corridors. Another spooky sighting is that of a Second World War pilot who is alleged to, as legend would have it, either committed suicide, or fell to his untimely death from an upstairs window in a drunken stupor.

But what we witnessed in one of the bedrooms literally shook us all to the core, there is reputed to be a malevolent spirit called John who is considered to be quite aggressive and even threatening to women who participate in glass divination when communicating with him.

Incidents of words 'death or kill' have been spelt on the Ouija board, when in contact with this spectral culprit who is said to frighten even the most hardened of ghost hunters. A group of us were sat in the alleged bedroom of Johns calling out for some paranormal activity, when unexpectedly a noise was heard from behind us as we all turned around we noticed that a coat hangar was now on the floor, and the remaining coat hangars were swinging violently too and fro in a manner very similar to a pendulum

I had never witnessed before, there was no one even in close proximity to the wardrobe that could have moved or banged the wardrobe, however we could not even reason how the coat hangar had landed on the floor as it was not there when we initially walked into the room, prior to starting the vigil, and all of us in the group had heard the coat hangar hit the floor as well.

In the midst of all the chaos we could still hear the coat hangars moving in the wardrobe too, needless to say there was a lot of screaming in the room by our shocked ghost hunters, some of them left the room vowing never to return to the room. Some of us carried on with the vigil, asking 'John' for more signs of his fearsome presence, the K2 meter spiked on request as well when we asked John to do so, however nothing could match the ferocity of the coat hangars being thrown from the wardrobe.

On reflection there was no way the coat hangar could have been thrown by any of us in the vigil, and the way the remainder moved also, left us knowing that only unseen hands could have done this and the legend of John Peckett now had another chapter to add of his power and aggression.

Other hauntings by Simplyghostnights

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Simplyghostnights, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GhostFox (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-01)
Hmm, quite interesting.
But, as a number of people said here, I'm shocked to hear that Ghost HUNTERS run away from their ghosts?
The best thing to do is to leave this spirit in peace...
Karu (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-30)
Lived in York my whole life. Oddly enough I've never bothered to go on the "ghost walk" though, and despite being friends with the daughter of the Golden Fleece's owner, during school and for a while after, I've never been in there either.
Interesting to read about something so close to home on here though.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-04-30)
I love ghost tours and wonder the same thing as the posters why they choose to flee? If people like ghost tour why flee know what I means...
SSHH45 (6 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-04-29)
That didn't sound like a real paranormal investigation, it soung more like a tour for peole to get adrenaline rushes. 😐

Sincerely,

SSHH45
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+7
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
SGN: I have to admit, I've enjoyed your accounts thus far...It's been enlightening learning about the different locations, and your posts have fed my curiousity...

But this morning was the first time I've really taken the time to peruse your website, and I gotta say, I'm disappointed... Not in the site itself, but in the way your team has chosen to call your expeditions "investigations"...

I'm with Cosmo, in that I enjoy a good ghost tour... But the difference between a "ghost tour" and your "investigations" is the use of these poor spirits to entertain an audience...They're not thesbians or comedians programmed to perform on command...

Look, I'm not bustin' your chops for trying to make a living...I'm sure my post on this site won't deter you and your fellows from your enterprise...But, I know for myself, I won't participate in this kind of treatment of our friends in the next realm...
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
I have to agree with Lou and Miracles on this one. This didn't seem like a serious investigation to record evidence of the paranormal. To be honest it read like more of a Theme Park attraction to get chills and thrills out of a group of people. I am a 100% ghost tour junkie and will sign up for anything, and I think this is where I'm getting confused. Was this supposed to be a serious investigation, or just a night group tour?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+6
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
Simplyghosts - typically I like reading your stories because they are interesting and I like the different methods you and your team use when conducting your ghost hunting.

But my comments on this one aren't going to be as favorable, I'm sorry. Being a woman, and having lived with ghosts almost all my life (some nice, some not so nice) I was surprised at the reaction of some of the members of your group. Y'all were basically asking for communication or confirmation of John's existence and when you got it, people overreacted by running scared.

Swinging coat hangers isn't any more indication of anger or aggression than banging on the wall when asked for "some sign of your presence." I'm just disappointed in some of the members of your group.

You were looking for confirmation; you got it. That should have been worthy of at least an "OMG, look! He responded!" instead of fleeing in fear. Granted, I wasn't there, but I hope I would have retained my dignity and composure.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+9
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
Simply,
As entertaining as the events you account are, I am struck by the number of people that participate in your group that "bail" when something paranormal actually happens. In my experience, people who participate in paranormal groups either have an intense desire to witness a paranormal event, or have experienced paranormal events in the past. In my opinion, it has always been easy to weed out the posers.
Someone who claims, "Oh, I have had spirits around me my whole life" are the same ones running awy from coat hangers...I'm not dissing you, but why do people go on a ghost hunt if they can't handle the fact that they do exist?

Lou

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: