You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Visiting Spirits

Real Ghost Stories

Visiting Spirits

 

Are the spirits among us, visiting from the other side, from time to time? Is there any reason to believe the answer may be yes?

Perhaps, but can there be any "evidence"?

Months after my sister-in-law passed away, my brother-in-law told me that he felt she was happy on the other side. He based this on a legend that coins mysteriously found on the floor, or in a shoe, were left by a spirit who was happy. He found coins in his shoe or on his bedroom floor, under mysterious circumstances several times.

As a retired scientist (I have a Ph.D. In Physical Chemistry), I tend to be skeptical of such utterances. I asked him where the spirits get the coins. He had no answer.

A neighbor widow, who claims to have psychic powers, once told me that she entered her house one day and a light went on without her having taken any action, After she turned off the light, she immediately addressed--out loud--her dead husband by name, saying, "If you can hear me, turn on the light again," where upon the light, indeed, went on again. And, again after she turned it off, "If you can see me, turn on the light again." This time the light did not go on. She insisted that as a consequence the spirits can hear us but not see us. It seems to me that even if the whole event was credibly related and represented a true visitation, if the spirits can do one thing they ought to be able to do the other.

Not long after both disclosures, however, I was forced to reconsider my skepticism. It began the night of my wife's demise over two years ago and has continued sporadically ever since. On the night in question my wife was taking her usual after-dinner nap. (She was afflicted with Type 2 diabetes, spinal stenosis and heart arrhythmia). She suddenly awoke and, looking at the TV, asked, "What's this?" I answered "the ballgame" and she seemed to drop off to sleep again.

A few minutes later, the smoke alarm buzzed briefly for a second or two. I looked around for a source of smoke and, finding none, returned to my chair. Another few minutes later, the alarm briefly buzzed again. This time I erroneously assumed the battery was signaling it had to be replaced (the unit normally peeps intermittently when the battery becomes weak). Removing the battery and testing it with my voltmeter, I found it was sound. As I replaced it, the alarm buzzed again.

When I returned to my chair I noticed that my wife was not moving. Checking her, I determined that she was cold to the touch and had no wrist pulse nor carotid pulse, whereupon I called 911. The ambulance arrived shortly, accompanied by a policeman who asked me to wait in another room while the EMT's tried to resuscitate her. While there, convinced that their efforts would be futile since she apparently had been dead for longer than five minutes, I phoned my son who lived four hours away to inform him of what happened.

About 15-20 minutes later, the officer opened the door and informed me that she had been pronounced. While he was informing me of this and we were standing directly beneath the smoke alarm, the alarm briefly buzzed again. This time I looked up at it and, in frustration, said aloud, "Now stop that!" Time passed, her body was removed by the undertaker and the officer asked me if there was anything more he could do for me. I said no, but I told him that the brief buzzing of the smoke alarm was the fourth time it had happened that evening and could not have been due to smoke presence because, in that event the unit would continue to buzz until the smoke was removed (it was located in an alcove where the smoke becomes trapped and has to be fanned away whenever it happens while I am cooking). Did he have any idea why it happened at that time?

His answer was, "Yes, she was trying to say goodbye to you."

Unconsciously or subconsciously I must have sensed the answer or I would not have asked him the question: it had no relevance to anything else. I guess I was too distracted to consciously tumble to that possibility and failed to ask the obvious question relating to how often he encountered this phenomenon.

To reinforce the above, my son and his family arrived a couple of hours later (at 4 AM) and, after a while we went to bed. I set the radio alarm for 9AM which would allow us to get some sleep and still attend to funeral arrangements early on. When the alarm rang at 9AM, I sleepily decided I would spend another 15 minutes in bed (my son was sleeping next to me) and reset the alarm for 9:15. When the alarm went off I noted that it was 9:07! On checking, I found that I had, indeed, set the alarm correctly for 9:15. I then remarked to my son, "I guess that was Mom saying goodbye to you."

About a year later I moved to within 5 minutes of my son so that if/when something happened to me (I was 79 then) he wouldn't have to drive four hours to take care of me.

Some months later I suddenly heard my GPS unit (sitting on my dining room table ten feet away from me) saying, "At the end of the street, turn left". Anyone familiar with a Tom-Tom knows that the "On" button is difficult to activate because it is flush with the frame and needs the help of a finger nail to depress. A month later it happened again.

I also have a "touch on" lamp and it went on three times - with me at least four feet away.

I have also found, twice, on the floor near my bed, a coin, the presence of which I would easily have noticed earlier.

To me, a former skeptic, there is only one conclusion from these events: she's happy. When one of these events recurs I'll try to remember to say, "Hi Cathy!"

Am I kidding myself? Perhaps. Either she visits me or she doesn't. I choose to think she does, and, apparently, she wants me to know that she does.

I still don't know where they get the coins!

Other hauntings by tonepete

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tonepete, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-12)
I loved your story, I got goosebumps while reading it... It is always heartwarming to think those who we love and miss so dearly may still check in from time to time! Condolences ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
First of all, sorry for the loss of your wife. Just know that she is now at peace without any illnesses. I agree with the other posters that it was your wife that was letting you know that she was there.

I just like to mention that I put your story in my favorites. Your story was straight forward and simple and that's all we ask. Thank you!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Thank you for sharing your story. I understand what redphx is saying and I had to think about that for a minute too... But I guess when things like that happen, you may be in a little shock, and while you're trying to think things over the sound of an alarm going off is distracting and irritating. Everyone reacts to grief differently I suppose.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I do think she was there and trying to say goodbye to you, and she may very well be with you still, waiting for you so that she can cross over with you when the time comes.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
My goodness, what a touching and beautiful story, thanks for sharing, tonepete. I want to offer my condolences for your loss. I'm sure that your wife will always be with you. As for the coins, I don't know how they would do that either, strange isn't it?
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
This is such a beautiful story. Shot straight through to my heart. I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. I do believe our loved ones always find ways to let us know they are still around and watching over us. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Take Care ❤
Gizzy (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
Tonepete,
I am so sorry for you and your sons loss.

I agree with you and believe that it is your wife. What made me smile was she must have known that you were a sceptic so has made sure she makes contact with you in lots of little ways to ensure that you take note and maybe accept her communications.
guyinsane2008 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-21)
reading your story makes me relive the loss I've also suffered as did Aussie Daz's comment. My father passed away when he was 48 years old; COD was ruptured blood vessel in his head (stroke). I was in another part of the country and when I was told he was in the hospital I hurried down to where he was. He passed about 15 minutes after I saw him... He wasn't hooked up to any machine and I was told that the doctors gave up on him the moment he arrived at the hospital, they had expected him to pass away a few hours after he arrived. It took about 13 hours before he died...

Some said he waited for me to come before he left. I'm an only child so he probably couldn't have gone without me talking to him for the last time...

You sir are an inspiration...
koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-21)
hi so so sorry about your wife, I really enjoyed your story, its funny that about the coins as my father inlaw passed away 1 week ago, my son was in the shower and a five cent coin dropped in the showerit was a bit freaky, thankyou for sharing. Cheers Di
.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-21)
Thank you for the story and I'm so sorry for your loss!

No,it is my belief that you are not wishful thinking, too much evidence! If these incidents bring you comfort and don't frighten you, and you sense you are speaking to your wife, then most likely you are. My dad uses electronics to comunicate with me when he chooses.
Even if it isn't her, I believe they can hear us when we speak to them, even if they cannot or will not communicate back. ❤ ❤
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
Thank you, so much. What a touching post this is. Bless you & your son. It's hard losing ones we love. But your wife has done a good job of reassuring you. This is one of my favourites for sure & I know I'm not the only one who had a hard time keeping it together on this one! Much love & bless you & yours!

LSD
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
tonepete such a touching story thank you for sharing.
Im sorry for your loss but as you say she went in her sleep and sounds very peaceful which is a blessing.

It must be comforting for you to know that she is still around and watching over you, letting you know she is there.

It is a mistery where the items/coins come from but I do think that they have meaning.
Next time a coin turns up check the date, see if it means anything to you birthday, wedding, speical holliday anything like that as if your being told "remember when we did this" and its a spirits way of sending happy memories to you and conferming it is them with you.
Adding to favs
Carl
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
your story was interesting for me becauase I can tell that you are a no nonsense kind of guy. If I were the officer and noticed that you were more concerned about the fire alarm buzzing than your wife being dead I would raise my brow. But I'm not so there you go.

It is funny. I don't know where ghosts get things and I don't know where the items go when the ghosts take them. I firmly believe that ghosts can infact see us and hear us. If they couldn't see us then they would be able to do so many things to us. I think that your wife is the one visiting you and I am happy that you find that a possibility.
lynrinth (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
Mmmmmm...yes, even a affirmed skeptic can also be turned. She gave you what you needed the most at the time. It was her time to go, she was letting you know, and still let's you know there may be something to 'this' life after death business. Her. It sounds like she's just letting you know she's around... And waiting for you. It's kind of nice to know that maybe after leaving this life, it won't be so lonely and scary after all if a precious loved one is just waiting for you on the other side. 😊 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
Tonepete, thank you for your story, I don't know where to start with my reply, as I want to make sure what I say might comfort you in some small way... I too was once a sceptic to a point of being an atheist... All my previous experiences I put down to my imagination and excepted it as fact, that when your gone your at peace and for me I didn't have a problem with that... Reading through your story I can relate to some of your logic... And I still wonder why they can't give us signs tic for tac... Only a couple of nights ago around 4 in the morning, someone strummed the strings on my guitar as I was laying on my bed only a few feet away... Thinking at first with logic, that something may have fell on them only to find out when looking closer that nothing did?... The guitar was isolated and standing alone?... I asked for them to do it again, but to no prevail and this type of thing has happen to me many many times over the previous years... Like in your story when asked... Can you turn the light on again?... I think mate, there are reasons why we only get things in small doses and not have direct and firm confirmation between this world and the next... I think here in this plain in the bigger scheme of things, there may be a reason or a purpose not to open the bridge fully... I think what is given to us, is better to accept with faith rather than accept on fact... I remember when my father died, like the medic saying to you, the nurse said to me, he waited for you... I spent the next 8 months ruling everything out with science and not accepting that my father was reaching out to me, letting me know his there... I think your wife will be by your side to the end of your life... I know my dad was with us until my mother died a couple of years ago... You may not hear her but she will hear you... Talk to her mate, listen for the knocks on the wall or anything that comes in three's...even though you didn't get a chance to say goodbye I am happy for her she passed in such a peaceful way... Take care mate, I think she wants you to solider on a little further mate...lol, this story is going in my favs.

Daz
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
Tonepete: I haven't read the other comments yet... I wanted to go right to writing... First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss... I believe your wife was trying to say good-bye...I hope you find comfort in all the signs she shows you ❤...I, as well as many others here, have had similar experiences with passed loved ones coming to visit from time to time...

Your story touched my heart, and brought tears to my eyes... Thank you so much for sharing this heart-felt account..."The signs are there, if we pay attention" ❤ 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
tonepete - I just want to take a minute to tell you how much I loved your story. I would also like to say how sorry I am for the loss your wife.

I completely agree with the officer's opinion that your wife was telling you goodbye. Many people get visits from their loved ones as they are passing or have just passed. The little "hints" she's giving you that she's around, yeah... Take a second next time and tell her you know she's there with you. She just may not be ready to leave you yet. You're more than likely going to get a lot of different advice here, so I'm going to keep my opinion to myself for once 😆.

I needed this story and I'm so glad you shared it with us. Thank you ❤
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
I am so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you've found comfort in your wife's little visits.

It's always heartwarming to hear stories like this because we will all lose people close to us, and it's nice to think they're able to check in on us once in a while.

Take care!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
Tonepete,
I just wanted to 'thank you' for your story. It was very sincere, heart felt and eye-opening. You told it so well.

Also, I sincerly agree with you. I know how easy it is to be skeptical, and I also understand that skepticism has no place in the heart and soul.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: