You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My First Brush With The Paranormal

Real Ghost Stories

My First Brush With The Paranormal

 

I have experienced many paranormal episodes in my thirty-four years, right up to the present. My first encounters occurred when I was four or five years old and living in Carrollton, TX in the early 80s.

My family is devoutly Christian; my mother did not believe in ghosts then and my father believed all paranormal activity to be demonic in nature. As a little girl I never heard them discuss ghosts or demons and at that point I don't think I even knew about ghosts except maybe for Casper, so I had no reason to believe anything I saw wasn't completely normal.

I can't remember the first time I saw these manifestations, but I do remember they occurred regularly for a few years.

'Little Dog'

While playing in my room I would sometimes see a small white blur, about the size of a Shih Tzu, dart across the doorway. At first I was confused because it didn't look like any of our cats, and we didn't have a dog. I wanted a dog, so I pretended the blur was a little dog running around the house. I would see it, smile and say, "Hi, doggy!"

Years later I found out my younger sister saw the same manifestation in that house.

'Swirling Ceiling Spots'

When I lay awake at night, before falling asleep, I would see what looked like large spots slowly moving around the lighting fixture hanging from the ceiling. Sometimes they were different colors and sometimes they were all black. They never did anything but move in a random, undulating motion around the light.

They didn't frighten me; at the time I just assumed everyone had spots on their ceilings at night.

It wasn't until years later that I realized what happened to me was not normal. I can't come up with any explanation other than paranormal entities popping in for a visit.

I told a friend of mine about the spots many years later and he told me he experienced the same thing, but he felt threatened by them and they would actually fall from the ceiling toward him.

Other hauntings by Kristy_Glick

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kristy_Glick, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
Javelina: It's so nice to hear from someone else who experienced the same phenomena! After reading about your spots I remember that mine seemed "friendly" as well- at least with each other. I never got the impression that they were aware of me at all.

As for the dog, if it was a dog ghost it must have belonged to someone who was in the house before us, because the only dog we had my entire childhood was a black lab who died when I was less than a year old, and we lived in a different house then.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-22)
Kristy_Glick,
It's interesting that so many comments focused (pun intended) on the possibility of it being a medical problem. I know the spots you're talking about, mine didn't circle the lighting fixture though. The ones I saw would go from corner to corner around the room, counter-clockwise. They didn't cling together so much as bounce, or bank off each other in a 'friendly', meandering way. Always close, but not crowded, if you know what I mean. They were dark, but not black. You could almost guess a color on some of them.
The dog? Oh yeah, I've still got a dog or two of mine from the past that stop by, and my current dogs see them too. I've only caught them seeing Tippy and Pepsi (2 previous family pets) at the same time I did a couple of times, but it was priceless!
Thanks for sharing your experience, it brought back the memory of those spots that I probably would never have thought to consider paranormal simply because I had not thought about them in years. In fact, I can't remember exactly when I stopped seeing them, just that it was in my late teens.
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-21)
redphx: The spots tended to be basically but not perfectly round. The edges were sharp- I remember them being very distinct and not at all fuzzy. They showed up completely black sometimes, and various dark colors at other times. I don't recall them overlapping. I believe they always moved clockwise around the lighting fixture.

Thanks for asking questions!

Lynrinth: I was fortunate to not be frightened by those experiences, but I've had many harrowing experiences that sent me into therapy at one point (I promise to post more on that soon). I do believe my sister and I have a sensitivity to the unseen world, as do many of my cousins.

Lilady4: I've definitely seen spots caused by looking into bright light, migraines, standing up too fast, etc. And these were different. They didn't move with my eyes, as spots caused by those other things do; they appeared to be external and would stay on the ceiling even if I looked away.

Thank you all for reading and commenting! 😁
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-21)
Ver interesting story here Kristy_Glick. Actually sounds Alien (not that I believe in that stuff). I was thinking that the lights could be something to do with your eyes, since I have had similar "spots" in my eyes, but you have already said that you had near perfect vision and it stopped after you moved. So it can't really be medical.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
lynrinth (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
Spots falling from the ceiling? Wow, paranormal activtiy can come in many unique and interesting forms. I would think maybe that particular house was haunted, since you and your sibling, than a friend saw such things? If you have been experiencing such continuing activity, you could have latent psychic abilities you didn't realize you had. Well, it sounds like you're doing fine, and aren't weirded out by all the experiences you've had. Paranormal activity can be frightening, strange, and heart-pounding. But it's the not knowing what's going to happen that can thrilling. You never know what you are going to get next. And how you react and deal with it, makes it all the more out-of-this-world experience.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
ok the little white blur may very well have been paranormal. I don't know about the spots. If they are the same spots that I would see as a kid that wouldn't be paranormal. When we look at something especially when going to sleep we can make our eyes out of focus but they don't seem out of focus. This can cause those swirling spots. Also our brain will fire signals and light flickers in our eyes. I don't know how to describe this very well. I've read about it in a health journal.

Were these spots completely round? Did they have sharp edges? Where they dull or bright colors? Did they overlap eachother? Did they follow the same motion at the same time? All these questions answered would help me understand the spots better. It could very well be paranormal or it could be your brain signals.
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
I witnessed the spots when I was a little girl, over twenty years ago. My vision was better than 20-20 until about five years ago. I stopped seeing the spots when we moved out of that house, when I was eight years old.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
Do you see these spots and blurs of movement often? Have you had your eyes checked recently? You say you have experienced paranormal activity throughout your life. Have you explored non paranormal explanations? So many things can be solved with just a pause and a thought.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: