You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The First Cat I Ever Had

Real Ghost Stories

The First Cat I Ever Had

 

This is my only encounter with the paranormal.

I had a cat since the day I was born his name was Tinker and he died when I was 7 years old.

I know how he died.

My Uncle had his dogs taken off him by the RSPCA for starving his dogs which my other uncle (who was living with me and my mother at the time) offered to look after them for a while and because we already had a cat we had to put the cat in the bedroom and only let him out when me and my uncle took the dogs for a walk.

Anyway one day I (think and still blame myself for) accidently left the bedroom door open and we went shopping and the dogs made my cat die of shock.

When I came back from shopping I found my cat dead on the bedroom floor which me being 7 at the time made me really upset and my uncle got a bag and buried my cat in the yard.

The next morning I got up and heard a meow which sounded a lot like my cats meow and I hopped out of bed thinking it was all a nasty dream I had and looked under my bed (where the meow was coming from) and too my surprise there was nothing there and I heard the meow again and it sort of frightened me because that was the first time I heard something without it being there.

To this day I believe it was my cat because he only meowed in my room and he died in my mom's bedroom and he only really trusted me because he used to hiss and spit at nearly everyone else that went near him.

In case anyone thinks my cat died out of age he never because just before I found him I saw the dogs running out the room and there was books and CD's all over the floor and its a surprise the TV never fell over even though it looked like it nearly did, and I actually held him before my uncle buried him.

Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheNathanNS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Spottedpeltwarrior (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
sad story your cat may be visting you cause he never got the chance to say goodbye or he still loves you and wants to stay for you and protect you
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Just offering some alternatives here, but it's very possible that your cat died of old age, as some have suggested... Or perhaps there was another reason. You mentioned that there were books and CDs all over the floor. One thought that immediately came to mind was internal bleeding. Your cat may have fallen or been hit by something whilst scuffling with the dogs, and in a cat's body, internal bleeding would kill them very quickly. I'm very sorry to hear this happened and I know I'd be devistated if it were me.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Bacchaegrl,

Are you serious? The point of this forum is to post stories that has taken place in a person's life that is paranormal. Yeah, it would be nice if grammar and spelling were fixed so it would be easier to read. With that said, I think TheNathanNS account of what happened is a good story and there is nothing wrong with it.

Secondly, if you want to know how a person or animal goes into shock, follow zzsgranny's link or Google it. I figured that as blogger you would do some of your own research. Also, I noticed you have posted any stories of your own. How about posting some of your own stories before judging others!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
TheNathanNS,
I'm sorry for your loss. It is really heart breaking to lose someone you really care for. Just know that they are in a better place. But it is sad to see them die the way your cat died. I hope your cat is in peace now. Being a Hindu, I believe in Karma. Just know that you and your mother will have good (no change that to great) karma for taking in those other cats when they needed the most. I am a foster parent to many cats and dogs (mostly babies and kept in my room because of my brother's asthma). The hardest part is seeing them go but I comfort myself knowing that they are going to better homes. Seeing an animal die is the hardest thing to see and knowing the way they died is the hardest part and makes you want to cry.

Redphx,
I'm sorry about Loki. Reading your other stories, I know you were really close to your dog. Just remember the good times you had with Loki and getting past the grieve will be a little easier. Just know that animals who die while being taken care by loving owners go to the other side quicker because they know that they have been loved.

I don't know if the animal lovers on this site heard about the hundred Husky dogs that were killed in British Columbia, Canada. That made me sick to my stomach.
Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352401/100-huskies-shot-mass-grave-tour-operator-trying-save-money.html

Http://finance.yahoo.com/news/100-dogs-in-Canada-killed-apf-2039933541.html?x=0
guyinsane2008 (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
B-grl (Jennae) - there is something called attention span. I couldn't even make it through a single post on that blog of yours. You need some lessons in creative writing... As a matter of fact you need to learn how to write period *yawn*
ScaredForever (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
It's sad to see pets die, it really is. I had similar experiences with my dog also.

So sorry about your kitty by the way.
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
bacchaegrl- not everyone on here is a professional writer. It doesn't matter how stories are written. I don't see that you have any stories, so I would advise that you not point fingers at people who actually make an honest effort to post their experiences.

TheNathanNS- that must have been one of the worst things for a kid to go through, finding their pet dead. I still regret not taking my cat to the vet after he got sick. I had asked a vet tech what she advised and she said that he was fine. Of course, I was younger back then and I believed her.

Someone once told me that things happen for a reason. It makes me crazy sometimes, because I try to find out what the reasons behind certain things are.
I hope you will eventually forgive yourself for what you think you are to blame for. At least you know your cat is still around.
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
[at] everyone execpt for bacchaegrl thank you all for making me feel better and happier about this (I read some posts and have a smile on face about the ones coming back to the loved ones) and he could of had a heart attack or died of shock because I was looking at some old photos and I remembered he was about 10 when he died 😢 😢 and about 1 month after his death we moved house and since then nothing much has happened (had new cats called Holly and Crissy which my mom rescued from a man who was very cruel to them and we took care of them and we gave them to the RSPCA and now they both have new much much nicer families) and haven't had any dogs since that day except my uncle's dogs because he is a huge dog lover
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
TheNathanNS,
I waited so long to read your story because I knew it was going to make me cry. Thank you for sharing it with us. And yes your cat came to be with you and let you know that he understood and he wanted to say goodbye. I have a couple of my dogs buried in my back yard that come in to visit every now and then too. They come back to be with the people they were the happiest with.

Bacchaegrl,
On this website we're more impressed by the truth, style is secondary. You can write a fancy little tale, dress it up with rules of grammar and sentence structure, throw in some plot manipulation too. But nothing cuts to the heart like the truth in this short tale. And you've just shown your hand.
guyinsane2008 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
I'm not an animal person but I know how horrible it feels to lose pets. It hurts to know something that you are attached to or care about is no longer there to share your affection. Recently, my in laws lost a few puppies that they were looking after until we were ready for them. I wasn't really attached to them but it still hurts to have learned that they died. Your fault or not, that's life. Your cat's natural instinct would have led him to find higher ground and he wouldn't had gone down without a fight. 7 years is old in cat years and he could have probably died of just that. You are older now and you should stop blaming yourself for what probably wasn't your fault (for leaving the door open).

B-grl - who died and made you expert in ghost story writing? Don't come putting people down on this site keep that for your blog.

Redphx - based on your comments - is there no such thing as untimely death?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
NathanNS,

Thank you for telling your story, and thank you for telling it the way you saw fit.

Bacchaegrl,

Where's YOUR story?

Lou
Gizzy (3 stories) (71 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
I agree with the other posters tinker came back to let you know he did not blame you and to help you with your grief.

Redphx
You poor thing, having read some of your stories and seen your comments on Loki I feel for you. I lost my cat a few weeks ago and have posted the story which hopefully will get published, I know exactly how you feel they leave a huge hole in your life
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-22)
[at] bacchaegrl Yes animals can died of Shock just depend on what from and look the link that zzgranny sent to you... That the truth.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-22)
I love cats I have cat almost died on last sunday to stroke so My mom and I help her Fight for her life she now getting better and I am sorry to hear about your cat I don't know why cats and dogs don't get along but that awful for what dogs did to your tinker... Blessed your cat in my prayer.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-21)
My goodness, what a sad story, but also a comforting one. Like everyone else has already said on here, you should not blame yourself, I mean, you were only 7 years old. I'm sure Tinker wouldn't want you blaming yourself. And I'm sure that Tinker will always be with you.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
the NathanNS you can't blame yourself over your cats passing.
It could have just been his time, 7 years for a cat is quite old, it is said a cat ages 7 years for each of our years so he was 49 in cat years.


As for the dogs you don't mention any scratch marks on them or bite marks on your cat, I know from having cats and dogs together as a kid when a cat feels danger from a dog it will atack with all it has and use claws and teeth. So I doubt the dogs had anything to do with your cats passing.
The dogs would have scenced the passing of your cat and just gone to investigate the scent.

Hearing your cat after he had passed like granny said is his way of saying I'm here, I'm ok and I love you still. I bet you still feel him and hear him every now and then
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
well I don't think you should blame yourself at all. I don't think your cat died of shot. He may have had a heart attack or he could have broken his back. Shock I don't think so. The dogs could have also caused the kitty to have a head injury and he had bleeding on the brain. Whatever the reason it wasn't your fault. Everything dies when it's their time whether we like it or not. I've lost a couple cats and just last week my dog. He was sick on Sunday and then died two days later. I didn't even have time to take him to the vet. I blamed myself and cried about it for days. I thought I killed my Loki. I still don't know why he died and my back yard still has his energy, I don't really like it. Your kitty came back to say goodbeye and to let you know it wasn't your fault. Please don't think that. It is hard to deal with the passing of a furry family member. I am still grieving for my dog.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+5
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
TheNathanNS: Your cat may have been paying you a visit to say good-bye...Our pets are part of the family, after all... Have you heard or seen anything since?...

Bacchaegrl: Here's a link that explains shock in animals:

Http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=295&S=1&SourceID=20

I believe the poor cat was traumatized by the actions of the dogs... Scared to death, so to speak... 😢

This comment from bacchaegrl is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
[at] Kristy_Glick thanks that makes me feel a bit better about myself
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
I've lost a couple of cats to dogs; it's a horrible, horrible feeling.

You really shouldn't blame yourself. It sounds like your kitty knew you felt bad and wanted to let you know he was OK. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: