You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Death Omen Or Something Else?

Real Ghost Stories

Death Omen Or Something Else?

 

This is my first time posting a story so please forgive me if my writing skills are lacking. I've had a few experiences with what I believe is the paranormal. I'll just post about one.

Firstly, I have been told by my mom that when I was a baby and we were living in a rail house (my dad worked for the railway and thus we stayed in the housing they provided for their employees) that the room my older sister and I stayed in had set fire prior to our moving there. She said that there was a little boy who had been playing with matches over his baby sibling's crib and had accidentally set the room alight. Neither child survived. Now when we were staying there apparently there would sometimes be a smell of smoke and a baby's cries in the bedroom. Now of course I don't remember that as I was only a toddler at the time. This was told to me around 5 years ago. Really freaks me out.

The first experience that I can actually remember took place in 2002 when I was thirteen years old. We had moved to a new house when I was 2 or so. I loved the house. It is part of a very old suburb in Kempton Park (East Rand-Johannesburg) so I'm not too sure what the history of the house is.

Let me explain the layout of the house. When you walk in you immediately walk into the lounge. Turn left, walk about 10 paces and you have two options: carry on straight to the kitchen or turn left into the passage leading to the bedrooms. Now if you turn left into the passage and carry on walking you'll reach the bathroom on your right and my parents' room on your left. Carry on a bit further and you'll reach the loo on your right and my sister's bedroom on your left. My bedroom was right at the end of the passage and with the positioning of my bed I could see straight down the passage through to the lounge.

So, it was winter and I had fallen asleep on top of my covers. At around 1:00 or so (not sure of the exact time) I had woken up freezing cold and turned around to get under my covers. As I did this I looked into the passage and saw this figure standing there right by the bathroom. This is going to sound cliché but it was wearing white from top to toe. It looked almost like a bride, and had a floor length lacy veil. Now I love the paranormal, but this freaked me out! I quickly turned around to hide my face in my pillow and started crying. I remember saying the Lord's prayer but it didn't work. I could still feel its presence there. I got even more freaked out when it started saying my name very softly. I can't remember how many times it said it, but I remember it was a woman's voice. I know for a fact that it wasn't the rest of my family, as they wouldn't call me from their bedrooms at that time of night.

I was trying to pluck up the courage to run for my sister's room. It took about twenty tries (first a countdown, then me chickening out) to finally get it right. I remember I kept my head down because I didn't want a close up of this thing. I ran into my sister's room, shut the door and dove for her bed.

The next morning when I told my family what happened. No one believed me. I know for a fact that I was not asleep!

About a month later my dad was murdered. I'm not sure if this figure was a death omen or whatever. People have told me that it was probably my guardian angel, coming to warn me, but I don't think so. It has been a long time since that encounter and I haven't seen this figure again, for which I'm glad.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tamz89, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RobZi (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
Hi there,

I know this is very late but I have only recently (tonight actually) started looking through these stories and yours seems to be the closets story to what my mother has been experiencing and its FREAKING me out!

She has been seeing a man in a grey suit (but no head) around the house lately and it isn't the first time, she has seen him around quite often... What i'm worried about is if hes trying to warn her that shes about to lose someone close (i.e me? I'm a only child) or is he just a spirit that won't leave the house?

Thanks=)
tamz89 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
Thank you to everyone for the condolences and suggestions as to what this may have been.:) We moved out of that house in 2004. The current owners have never contacted us to report anything unusual, so whatever this was, it was obviously there for me, not as a spirit trapped in the house.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Tamz89,
I'm so sorry for your loss. You are right about it not being your guardian angel as it should bring you peace. But I do believe that it was trying to warn you in someway or at least let you know you were going to lose someone. Just be happy you have seen it again. I would love to see more of your stories.

Haunted_Childhood,
I'm also sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I lost my grandmother a couple of years ago and I still miss her like crazy. Just reading your description gave me the creeps, I can only imagine how your son must have felt.
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
haunted_childhood: It sounds like your son might have seen a manifestation of the mother/maiden/crone, which represents the cycle of life and can be quite scary.
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
My son described something very similar before my grandmother (his GREAT-grandmother) passed away. He was sleeping on the living room sofa, and from where he was laying, he could see in to the den where my grandma usually slept in her recliner. He said he woke up for no reason, and saw (in the den) an apparition of a woman in white. She was glowing from head to toe. On one side of her face, she looked very pretty like an angel, but the other side of her face was very hag-like, and she had a claw-hand on that side. I suppose it could've been a waking dream, but he seemed very much awake and was absolutely terrified. It wasn't very long after seeing this "thing" that granny passed away. 😢 Perhaps it WAS a messenger of death of some sort.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
I am so sorry for the loss of your father! I'm at a loss on what this vision may have been other than extremely frightening! I tend to think white means good but we all know apparitions can appear in any form. I'm glad your sisters room was close to yours lol!
Bless you, thanks for sharing! ❤
tamz89 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
[at] bacchaegrl- the main emotion I felt was fear, but I didn't get a good feeling from this entity at all. I've heard that when you meet your guardian angel, you feel at peace but I didn't, which is why I don't think this was my guardian angel.
[at] Kristy Nothing else happened between the time I saw this apparition and my father's death. I'll be posting my other experiences soon!
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
I'm so sorry about your father, that's just awful.

You mentioned you've also had other experiences with the paranormal; did any other events occur between this apparition and your father's death?

It's entirely possible that you are sensitive to the other side and the timing on seeing that particular apparition was coincidental. It's a shame you weren't able to communicate with it- not that I would have been able to!
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry for your loss. Omens can come in many forms, perhaps that's what it was. Though I have no idea why it would look like a bride. Maybe it just had angelic features that were pure white. Other than being scared of the apparition, as I would be, did you get any good or malicious feelings from the entity?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: