You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandad Or Something Else?

Real Ghost Stories

Grandad Or Something Else?

 

My grandad isn't really my grandad, he's my mum's boyfriend's dad, but to avoid confusion and because he's the closest I've ever had to a grandad I call him that. In the same way I'll call my mum's boyfriend my dad because he's been in my life since I was four and has been more of a father to me than my biological father.

Anyway, my grandad died when I was twelve from lung cancer (kids, they don't issue warnings on the packets for nothing!). I wasn't allowed to attend the funeral but I attended the burial after he was cremated. Graveyards have always seemed at least 5 degrees colder than the outside world, but that day it felt colder and I had the feeling I was being watched. I brushed it off as just my imagination but I was still afraid to turn around and see if someone was stood there that I hadn't noticed before.

Fast forward a few weeks, I keep seeing a black figure around the house, typically where he used to sit in the living room or walking through the kitchen. Around the same time, my nan (not really my nan) was getting knocks at the door every day at around the time my dad and grandad would get to her house after work (they owned a barbering business in town that my dad now runs himself) but nobody would be there. Family life kind of fell apart after a few months, especially on my brother's eleventh birthday when my dad kicked my uncle (who isn't really my uncle... It's a strange family, alright?!) out of the house after a massive argument.

So the knocking at my nan's house and feeling like I was being watched and the occasional sight of a dark figure continue. Then my step brother (like I said, complicated family) brought his dog around. She's a really placid staffy, loves to play with everyone including complete strangers. She went into most rooms and sniffed at everything but sat in front of my parents' room. We were up there too to make sure Bambi (my step brother's staffy) didn't hurt herself on anything. I could definitely feel an ice cold breeze coming from my parents room despite it being the middle of summer and 25° outside, definitely not cold enough for the breeze.

My parents have also noticed a few things about how we kept narrowly missing accidents while travelling. Like a lorry overturning on the motorway and narrowly missing us. Narrowly missing getting tail-ended or tail-ending the car in front when a car stopped suddenly, buying ice cream before setting off home that meant we missed a major accident that killed 4 people. We all felt that all the incidents we saw were meant for us in some way. Especially the accident that killed a family of 4. My mum said that something has been looking after us and I knew she meant grandad.

I've always had my reservations about whether it's really him or just my imagination or something else because I've had a few not-so-good incidents too. What does everyone here think?

Other hauntings by PerfectInsanity

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PerfectInsanity, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PerfectInsanity (2 stories) (1 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-01)
Hi everyone, I have been meaning to come back and reply to the comments but got very busy and forgot all about it until tonight!

Bad Ju Ju, some of the more sinister events include an event that happened the other night. I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. My parents were downstairs and my brother was in his room (he would have had to pass the bathroom twice if he were to do this and I would've seen him in the mirror both times). There was an almighty CRASH coming from my bedroom. It literally shook the floor! So I naturally went to see what the hell was going on (as did everyone else) and found my bass amp (which is big and very heavy, my dad can barely lift it) had been knocked over. It was the first time something had been moved, the other not-so-good things were very tame compared to that.

I have been keeping a journal of strange events as everyone has suggested and noticed a few patterns with the times of certain events.

Beginning to think it's possibly my grandad but also something that has latched onto me personally.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
And yes I also agree with BJJ, and I also have a grandfather that is not blood relation, but he has been quite a grandfather to me. The real definition of family is the ones that are there for you and those around you and that care about you.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
PerfectInsanity, well this may have been your grandfather, but it also could have been that something has followed you from the graveyard.
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
I totally agree with BJJ and elnor here. Its not blood that makes people family but love. I personally am very much like you though for me its an adoptive dad/biological mum, though for me its only my dad I acknowledge as family not his extended family 😊

Anyway I'm off point here 😆 BJJ has made some good points. Keep a journal and trying to find plausible reasons for events is always good. 😊
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
Agreed with BadJuuJuu, it's not blood that always has to make a family. Families are not as simple as that.

Actually, I just agree with everything she said.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
9 years ago (2015-04-12)
First off, I don't think your family sounds that strange. Blood might make people relatives, but its love that makes a family.
I think its possible that your grandfather could be intervening indirectly to protect you, and the knocks at the door could have been a type of farewell.
There are other things that could be coincidence, and I would suggest trying to rule out mundane explanations for any possible activity. I've experienced things that seemed very eerie on the surface, but turned out to be caused by something perfectly normal and boring.
You might want to keep a journal, keeping track of possible paranormal events, the dates and times, etc. You may notice a pattern in when events are more likely to occur, you may also be able to go back and debunk certain events. Remember, being able to debunk one event does not invalidate others, it just keeps you thinking analytically.
The fact that you mention some unsettling experiences is why I'm trying to sell you on debunking and maintaining a bit of skepticism. Trying to prove an event is not paranormal in nature will help you keep calm and rational when you might otherwise want to panic. It really is a good tool for keeping calm.
Without knowing anything about the more unpleasant experiences, no one here can really give an opinion. I doubt your grandfather would do anything to scare you though. If it makes you feel more confident about dealing with the other events, you can ask your grandfather to watch over you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: