You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spooked And Confused

Real Ghost Stories

Spooked And Confused

 

I am the owner of a Bed and Breakfast that was built in 1860. My family and I moved here in December, 2008, after the untimely death of the previous owner, a young man who committed suicide. He did not do this on the property, yet his wife and family felt compelled to leave immediately.

We knew the history of the house, yet this did not disturb me in the least. I don't believe in paranormal things, as a Christian I feel that out of body, immediately present in the presence of God, so ghosts to me were not possible. So, despite the somewhat sad history of the house, we were very much nonplussed by it, and excited for the new opportunity.

For several months, I discounted what my teenagers told me... Strange and odd little occurrences I chalked up to overactive young adult imaginations. Even my 21 year old daughter! I thought she was feeding into the silliness when she told me about the strange sensation and smell of "eggs" at the top of the front foyer stairs that had sent shivers down her spine. Heck, it's an old home, beautifully restored, and fertile ground for such stories... So I discounted them.

About a year ago, my little dog began acting bizarrely. She would wake up at about three a.m. Or so, and go charging into the kitchen and bark at the basement door. This scared the heck out of me, because I thought someone might be burglarizing the property. After a few episodes of this happening, I became annoyed with her, and began putting her in her crate at night so I could get a night's rest... So that ended that problem, or so it seemed.

One night about six months ago, my 18 year old son confided to me some weird occurrences. He wasn't particularly scared, just somewhat disturbed by them. He had come to the top of the stairs, his hands full with a dish of food and a glass of soda. As he walked down the upstairs hall to his room, his cat suddenly became spooked, hissed, and ran away. He thought she was just acting weird and continued down the hall. When he reached his room, the door, which was fully opened, suddenly slammed shut in his face, requiring him to put everything down on the floor, and open it. He said there were no other windows open, etc., to cause a draft to do that. He said his room smelled strongly like sulphur, and the windows were "steamed" up like there had been a crowd of people in it or something. He thought this was extremely odd, so he opened his windows and searched for a source of the smell, maybe something burning or shorted, but found none.

Another night, he heard rustling in his room, and could swear he saw a figure standing by his door... When he called out and turned on his light it was gone. Again, the smell was there.

Recently, my 15 year old daughter had become seriously and chronically ill. Through the sadness of the illness and the fear of what would come, I was exhausted with many visits to the doctors and hospitals, etc. One night, at around 2 a.m., my daughter burst into my room, hysterical crying. She swore something kept turning on her lights in her room, and "whispering in her ear." She was terrified to the point of begging me to allow her to sleep at her older sister's house, or even on the porch. I was horrified, thinking she was having some kind of nervous breakdown due to the stress of her illness, and called the doctor. He told me to get her calm, give her a sedative if I had one, and just stay with her, and if it continued, to bring her in to his office. I got her calm, but the next morning she told me the full extent of what was happening.

Earlier in the week, she had been awakened at about 2:30 in the morning, by her laptop suddenly turning on and blasting music. Disoriented, she woke up, went across her room, turned on the light, and shut the program down. She also turned off the laptop, and shut it closed. She then lay in her bed for a while, and eventually drifted off to sleep. About an hour later, she was again awakened by the laptop, blaring music again, on, and the laptop itself was opened. She was horrified, and she didn't know what to do... She turned it off, unplugged it, and packed it away into its case. As she was walking back to her bed, she heard laughter in the corner of her room by her closet. She became so frightened, she ran downstairs and sat in the living room with all the lights on and the TV on until dawn. She was afraid to say anything about the incident for fear of sounding "crazy."

I felt very bad about her confession of this incident, because in all honesty, I did question her sanity after hearing it. I feared perhaps she was having a psychological crisis brought on by her illness, and I felt absolutely terrible for her. I talked to her paediatrician, and he told me to just monitor the situation, which I was doing, and then came the incidences of this week.

The few nights before last, I had a terrible dream, about a spectre standing by me in my bedroom, and all of a sudden things were flying in every direction off the walls. When I reached for my husband, he turned and looked at me, his blue eyes black, seemingly possessed by some spirit. I woke literally in a pool of sweat, and chalked it up to eating too late, and having an upset stomach.

Then, last night, after working late in my office, I went to bed at about 12 midnight. My husband was working the night shift, and wasn't due home until 8 a.m. At around 4:30 in the morning, in the pitch black, all of a sudden my TV. Went on, blaring at top volume, and snapping on and off over and over again. I was completely disoriented, and sat up, searching for the switch to the light on my nightstand. When I got the light on, the T.V. Was on, still playing, top volume. I grabbed my remote, and turned the volume down, and turned it off. All of a sudden, it turned back on again, over and over and over, it would turn on and off. I began to become both and incredulous and alarmed at what the heck was going on. I immediately took the batteries out of the remote in case it was some kind of short in the remote, but that did not stop the TV. From shutting on and off.

I stood up, and walked to the T.V. And physically shut the TV. Off. It immediately turned back on, over and over. As my finger was against the power button, I could actually feel it shutting on and off against my finger, on its own. I felt anger and horror all at the same time and instinctively yelled, "Stop that!" but it only shut off and on faster, as I stepped back and saw the flashes on the screen. I ran over and pulled the plug on the unit, still in shock as to what was happening. I sat on the edge of my bed, trying to process the whole episode. What? What? What? That was all I could think.

I washed my face, and went back to bed, but was tossing and turning, feeling very uneasy. I grabbed my Bible, and slept with it like a child sleeps with a toy. I kept waking up, feeling like the breath was being sucked out of my body, and the covers were pulled off of me twice. I finally gave up at 8 am, and went into my kitchen to make heads or tails of the whole thing, and a pot of coffee. I saw the TV. Unplugged, and the batteries laying on my nightstand, so I could absolutely confirm it was not some bizarre dream.

As I walked into the kitchen, I noticed the dog was missing. She always greeted me as soon as I stepped out of my bedroom, but she was nowhere to be found. As I walked by the basement door, I noticed it was wide open, lights on, and there was a trail of dog faeces, not diarrhoea, just normal faeces, leading away from the door through the hallway. I followed it, and found my dog cowering in the furthest part of her crate, almost to the point where she couldn't be seen. The door to the crate had been unsecured, so she could've gotten out easily. Apparently, she saw something that scared her so bad; she literally defecated as she was running from it... And this is a dog that is normally very well trained.

I was completely baffled by the whole incident, and after cleaning up the "mess," I washed up and made a cup of coffee. As I was looking at the window into the rain, I noticed the barn door to my art studio, right across the lawn, was wide open, and so were all of the windows, and the lights were all on. I know for a fact everything was secure the night before, and again, fearing some kind of break in, which is very unlikely due to the rural area we live in, I ran out to make sure nothing was stolen or disturbed. Everything was undisturbed, just all the doors and windows were wide open, and the lights were all on.

So, at this point, I really don't know how to proceed, or what we should do or not do. I am a Christian, and I don't believe in seers and mediums to contact the "dead," and I love my home, and don't want to yield it to some "force" or possibly a demon? I am fearful for my 15 year old daughter since she is very vulnerable right now with being ill and I guess I'm just here for some advice and feedback...

Any thoughts from anyone who has experienced anything similar? Thanks...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, fieldsendart, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Lisa3007 (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-27)
Hello,

Are you interested in having a paranormal team investigate your B&B to offer some kind of explanation to the hauntings. I'm a producer for a paranormal investigation show and we're interested in possibly featuring your B&B. Please contact me at the email located in my account. Thanks.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-08)
Never underestimate the ability of Cold Iron to ward off evil spirits.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore
robertar (223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
You can also ask Jesus himself to help your family. I'm pretty sure he knows what is going on and how to stop it.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
fieldsandart: After reading the comments, I want you to know that 99.999999999% of the posters on this site "believe" in demons, so please don't feel like you're alone in that respect...However, in my opinion, this isn't a demon, or anything evil for that matter... Given the age of the home, I'm sure the history goes a lot deeper than you imagine...

I ask that you look at your current situation with fresh eyes, and an open mind... It doesn't mean you have to give up your beliefs, but try to see it from the entity's point of view: this house belongs to them... We all know that's not the case, but for them, you're intruders... This entity feels just like you did when you thought your studio had been targeted...They're confused, upset that you can't see them, and probably feel that you and your family have invaded their space...

The advice that you contact your priest or pastor to do a blessing seems logical... But that will only act as a bandaid, because if this entity is only seeking attention and has no ill intent, it won't leave... Not until they're ready to cross over...I'm sorry if this offends you, that's not my intention, just voicing my opinion...

Also, one question... You say this is a bed and breakfast... Have your guests reported any odd occurances? 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
fieldsendart,
Since it's been a good week and a half from the date you had submitted this account, I was wondering if you could possibly give us an update on any further occurrences you may have experienced.
I'll hold back commenting on this matter at this time, and await your reply.

Thank you for sharing,
Jav
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
So sorry you are going through this! I recommend you get an electrition to get the wires checked for high emf fields, the plummer to check for gases and look for leaks and mold.

Christians believe in demons, they are a target as they are taught not to acknowledge it. But, as it is an entity and therefore "present" I too would recommend you bless your home and tell it to go back to where it came from. Your spiritual leader can come and bless the home. Saying prayers for you and your family! ❤
howdyghosts (3 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Howdy fieldsendart:

I'm considerably concerned about the sulfur smell. Your house might be exposed to hydrogen sulfide which can come from a variety of places including the pipes, wells or, probably for your case, the water heater; assuming it's in the basement. Sulfur hydroxide is a very toxic gas, and for your amusement, I've listed a link to the MSDS for Sulfur Hydroxide. I would suggest seeing a plumber about the issue immediately.

Www.trconsultinggroup.com/safety/msds/h2s.pdf

Here are some other links that might help.

El.erdc.usace.army.mil/workshops/04jun-wots/kaluschue.pdf

Http://www.uldrinkwell.com/drinkwell/rotten_egg_smell.html

Obviously, you can Google this or talk to an expert, such as a plumber, about this.

If this doesn't work then you might have something supernatural.

God bless,

Howdyghosts
Amazinghost (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Hello, I'm not a christian or any religion really, but I have some advice, if people in your family are suffering from these expieriences, and advise getting a priest to come and cleanse your house, my advice isn't genuine, but I have studies reports like this before, this sounds a completely genuine story, as I have also seen a ghost before and so has my cousin who was with me at the time.

Please take this advice because I believe this could help, some say that ghosts just want attention, by revealing themselves through sound or certain forms of sight, and others say that thwy just have unfinished business, I know this sounds like a bad approach but there is something extremely wrong with that house, get a priest in there for a cleanse
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
My advice would be to approach your priest or pastor, and do whatever it takes to convince him that there is a problem. Yeah, it probably won't be easy, but you finally came to realize something was wrong. I'm sure you'll be able to convince him as well. Do whatever your religion allows you to do to protect your children. Work outside your religious comfort zone if you have to. Your kids are more important.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Agreeing with Louslips on this one. I understand your beliefs but sometimes things are not always black and white. There are a lot of gray areas and what is going on in your house has to be dealt with. You know for a fact that your children, your pet, and even yourself are being made to feel fearful in your own home. I would suggest going to your church and ask the pastor to bless the house and say a blessing over yourself and family. You need to show this entity that you won't be bullied and that it needs to leave immediately. Make it known that it is not welcome, and must stay away from your children. I'm sure this must sound crazy to you and might go against your beliefs, but you need realize that you are working towards gaining peace of mind for you and your family. I hope you get the help you need soon. Let us know if anything else happens. Good Luck, and God Bless.
BPOOH229 (1 stories) (12 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Wow! You really need to have someone come bless your home. Whatever it is sounds evil. I also wonder if your husband has ever noticed anything? Did some of the children come to you before your daughter was sick or after? The reason I ask is maybe whatever is in the house is causing your daughter to be sick. I have read many other stories when there is a demon someone gets really sick. I'm not sure how true it is, but it's a thought. I really hope you find the answers you need. Good luck with everything. God Bless!
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
I feel badly that you and your family are made to suffer, particularly during a time when you are all concerned about your fifteen-year-old daughter.

As LouSlips suggested, your daughter is the right age and going through enough emotional trauma due to her illness to produce poltergeist activity. It might be worth looking into because if she knows she is inadvertantly causing the activity she'll be less frightened by it and more empowered to control it.

If it is the case that there is a nasty entity there that wants to terrorize your family you should all work together to make it clear that its presence is not at all welcome and it needs to leave.

You might all get together each night and pray aloud for God and Jesus to protect you, and to give you the power to drive it from your home. If you are all united in your faith against it, remin strong in your conviction that it has no business there and must leave, hopefully you will be able to drive it away.

I hope you are able to find a solution quickly, and bring your family the peace they need and deserve. ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
First of all, I'm sorry your family is going though. Secondly, you mentioned that you, your children, and your dog experience something. Did your husband experience anything? Also, what were the feeling you and the rest of families feel when you were in certain parts of the house, for example, fear? Did anyone visit the basement? It looks like the source is coming from there.

Being a Hindu, our believes, traditions, and cultures are probably worlds apart. But I hope you take some of my suggestions to heart (if not for you, at least for the health your youngest child).

(1) I have some Christian friends, so I know they are set in the believes but I would suggest to keep it open mind when it comes to the paranormal (especially with things happening right in front of your eyes). I think, even if you don't want to address, deep down in your heart you know that there is something in your house that is taunting you and your family.

(2) Why don't you talk to your religious leader about blessing the house. Or at least asking him or her for advise or thoughts.

(3) I don't know if your believes allow to keep religious artifacts like the Cross in house but if you can, why don't try putting them in every room in the house including your basement and your studio?

(4) The last thing that I can think of right now is why don't you bring some of your church's holy water to your home and bless it? One thing that most Hindus do is when we moved into a new place, we have a priest come to the house to bless the house so that any bad spirits won't attack the house or the people living in them. I know your religion doesn't allow to believe in the spirit world but it wouldn't hurt to bless the house just the same.

These are some of the suggestions that I made and I hope you don't take any offence to them. These suggestions were made from one open minded person to another (hopefully) open minded person. If you don't take any of the suggestions provided, no offence would be taken by me. There probably be better idea put out there on this post and hopefully something will help.

But in the meantime, I will keep you and your family in my prayers and I hope things look up for you. Also, I hope your daughter gets better really soon. God Bless!
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Fields,

What you are describing could be a number of things, but I believe unknowingly, your daughter is at the center of it. Poltergeist activity could be attributed to your daughter's experiences as well as your own. Your daughter's age and stage of development can create physical manifestations of her emotions. Please look it up and consider it seriously.

The other likely option is a negative spirit interested in driving you from your home, or at least, establishing its authority over your family. I had never even considered consulting a medium, until I was absolutely forced to, but when I did, it all began to make sense. I realize your beliefs are where they are, and you are not compromising them or backsliding if you allow yourself to be openminded. The best part about having a professional help you, is that you do not have to take their word for anything. You can get their input and then, investigate their claims by researching the history of your town and your home. A professional will not want very much background info... They should be able to come in cold and tell you what and who is there.

Bottom line, spirits do exist. As foolish as it will make you feel... You need to speak to this presence and stand up for your family. This is your home. Your family's happiness and your daughter's health are the first priority, what this entity wants or needs is secondary... And its existence in your home and its presence in your lives is non-negotiable.

Lou
Mandy12151985 (4 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
I would try and get your priest to come to the house. Wether your Christian or not, there is definately something in your house. You need help, especially because your 15 year old is getting the brunt of the activity. If you do not want to go to your priest, try a paranormal group around your area. They will investigate and hopefully get you in contact with someone who can get this thing our of your house. Good luck!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: