You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Office Was A Thoroughfare For Somethings

Real Ghost Stories

Office Was A Thoroughfare For Somethings

 

For the sake of brevity I'll put the story into sections.

Site:

Forestry Commission building

Location/Setting:

The building is located about 60 meters from the seawall (Atlantic Ocean). The area was previously covered with courida (mangrove) forests as the entire coastline was, at some point in time.

History:

Early European settlers, namely the English, French and Dutch fought battles to gain control over the colony; they fought among themselves and against the indigenous tribes (Amerindians). They were also a few slave uprisings and strike actions by indentured labourers (mainly Indians). Bottomline is many lives were lost in the name of progress/development.

As a result of the bloodshed and traumatic manner in which persons were killed many stories abound about the "Dutchmen". This was the common name for ghosts because they were white... So the locals thought that the white ghosts were Caucasian.

Personal Experiences:

I usually work late in my office as the records were not up to date and in the evenings no one is there to interrupt my train of thoughts. The first day I stayed back late, was to work on a report. So there I was at my desk busy looking over the formulas in the excel sheet when I heard footsteps outside my office. I wondered who could be there at that time so I went out to investigate.

To my surprise the room (outer) was quiet, there were no noises and no one was in sight. I returned to my office and continued to do my work when the noise started again, it sounded like persons were just coming in to work and shifting the furniture around to get comfortable. I came out again and everything was in place.

I decided I had to get to the bottom of this so I went upstairs to the offices above mine, they were empty. Another office had a few persons inside but any noise they would have made could not have been heard by me. Nevertheless I went over and asked them if they heard anything, they just smiled and said shook their heads.

Not satisfied I went downstairs and asked the guard if anyone was in the reception area just now. Well you guessed it, he said no. As I turned away he called out to me in an uneasy tone..."Mr. ____________, me think Dutchman Jumbies (ghosts) does walk inside there". I turned to him an said "oookay then" and went back in. I was scared but I told myself that I'm a child of God, I will not be harmed.

I left early that night but I continued to work late after that. The noises continued, however, I tried my best to ignore them. They never hurt me and I never felt threatened.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, guyinsane2008, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-07)
what I'm thinking is they could be residual hauntings since it happens every time. Does other people experience it? Thanks for sharing your story.

guyinsane2008 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Thanks Carl working there late was quite an experience, it made you believe you were in the middle of a bus terminal (a small one).

Geetha - there were a few comments here and there but nothing significant, mostly the guards had stories. Many people hit the doors as soon as 16:30 hours arrive, typical of many government offices here.

The sleeping guards usually blame these spirits for everything that happened to them.

I recall one guard fell down the stairway of a guard tower (not very high off of the ground), he said something pushed him while he was sitting there minding his own business. However, this guy was a known sleeper, so they are assuming that he dozed off and slipped off of his stool.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Thanks for sharing your story! It sounds a lot like a residual haunting. I think the security guard might have seen something too. My fiance is a security guard and he's seen a lot of trippy stuff while on duty.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
guyinsane2008 great story!
Enjoyed this one. Have had things like this happen my self will be adding a post soon with a few short storys in it as not enough to make one story for each.

Glad to hear you just carried on working late and were not frightened by it personaly I would not have gone home but then I am slightly gaga 😆
Carl
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
You said that you only heard noises. How about your co - workers? Did they see or hear anything? I'm such a wuss, I probably would have packed up left. Were you ever fearful?
guyinsane2008 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-05)
[at] miracles - the guards usually tell all kinds of tale to the point we say that they were dreaming 😆. Many claimed they were slapped in the washroom, pushed down etc. The way he said it showed he was fearful of something.

[at] javelina - these were the "accounts" staff, they usually worked late, I guess they have a few stories to tell but I've never heard them say anything about unexplained noises.

[at] BJJ - I wanted to but I decided not to carry on the conversation further, I didn't want him to tell everyone that I'm crazy or for him to feed me a tall tale then tell everyone that I'm gullible.

I worked there for over 6 years and the experiences never moved beyond noises.
golden_swastika (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-05)
Sometimes we have to ignore such paranormal experiences for things to work out. I completely understand and have experienced similar 😊
Nice Story!

Good Luck
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
I would have probably pestered that poor security guard with questions until he hit me. I'm just nosy like that. 😆
To me it sounds like your office building was recording and playing back the sounds of the workers going about their day. Very cool story. 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
guyinsane2008,
I like that the first group you asked just "smiled and shook their heads". Hmmm, first indication that something is up?
Given the history of the area, you'd have to almost go in thinking the ghosts are there. With that much tragic history it's pretty much a given that there will be haunting's. You simply have to decide whether they are meant for you or not. And can you find a way to ignore them.

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
guyinsane - 😊 boy, this one brings back memories. It's one thing to "know" there are ghosts. Even to have experiences, but to have them at your work place when you are essentially alone, but yet not "alone" all at the same time. It just gives a creepy feeling no matter how open you are or how many experiences you have under your belt. Thankfully the guard didn't think you were crazy. Must have had some experiences of his own, don't you think?

I still, in the evenings and weekends at work when I'm alone, hear the occassional tell-tale footsteps and voices. I've even gone so far as to check the parking lot and there's been no one in our building except me. One day, after playing "hide and seek" with our office ghost, I threw up my hands and said "Okay, I'm out. It's all yours," and I left.

Good story 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: