You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A Creature In Our Midst

Real Ghost Stories

A Creature In Our Midst

 

A few miles from where I live is a Country Park. It is a lovely place with a wide range of different trees, plants and wildlife. People often picnic there, take children to play in the woodland playgrounds or simply to explore. It has even been nicknamed "Little Switzerland" by locals because of its clay cliffs, which are dotted around the place. These cliffs mean that the park is on a multitude of different levels, some are accessible via slopes and steps, but some are not. It is on one of these inaccessible cliff tops where we were witness to something we could not explain.

Almost two years ago my girlfriend and I decided to take an afternoon trip to the Country Park I briefly explained in the above paragraph. We had been at university all morning and wanted to be outdoors for the remainder of the day. It was an unplanned trip, but we hoped to walk around the woods and have a late dinner at the Country Inn.

We must have been walking around the park for about an hour or so, exploring the woods, identifying birds and enjoying our surroundings. We had reached a quarry situated in the middle of the park; it had flooded a considerable amount of the area so we walked further around than we may have had it not been flooded. I had previously visited the Country Park a number of times and I remembered seeing what looked like the remains of a huge old house on one of the largest cliff tops. I knew my girlfriend would find this as interesting as I did so I made an extra effort to find it.

We eventually reached a gravel pathway at the foot of the highest cliff. There is no way up without climbing equipment, but it winded around the cliff's perimeter, thus enabling us a perfect view of the above remains. We must have only walked this path for ten minutes, if that and I saw what I had been looking for. The remains included an old brick wall on the very edge of the cliff top and what looked like brick archways with wrought iron bars and no windows. It does not really resemble a house anymore, but I have reason to believe it was at least part of the grounds, which I will explain later.

I walked a few feet ahead of my girlfriend so I could point up to where these remains were as they were pretty well hidden amidst the trees. I turned to look at my girlfriend for a split second before looking back to where I was pointing, and it was in that moment I saw it.

Exactly in line with where I was pointing was something I can only explain as a creature. It was on a natural edge created in the cliff side, just feet below the remains we had searched for. The ledge was overgrown with ivy and the odd tree here and there. It was very green up there and this made what I saw contrast with its surroundings quite considerably. It was a creamy/peach colour and it looked like the shape of a head, but it had no redeeming features. Although describing this reminds me of how scared I was looking at it, it is the way it moved which made my blood run cold. It seemed to be lying down, peering over the edge of the ledge I described. It must have been looking at me because when I turned my head back to where I was pointing it moved backwards in to the overgrowth. It did not move like a human, it skulked back effortlessly.

Like I said earlier, it was impossible to get up there without climbing equipment and if anyone was up there you would see them, despite the overgrowth, as the ledge was not that big. Also, if a person was hiding and peering over the edge their facial features would have been more than visible. This did not have any, or at least it appeared not to. Not to mention that most people would probably have moved in a clumsy manner, and would have still been visible. Whatever was up there it was not phased by me seeing it, it moved with confidence and with a slow movement it faded away into the ivy. It looked like it may have been slightly bigger than a human being, another reason why any facial features should have been visible from that distance. It was not a silhouette of anything, not what I would describe as a ghost or entity. I could see it as clear as day, but it was not human or like any animal I have seen.

Needless to say I immediately asked my girlfriend if she had seen what I had, but she did not. I described what I had seen and we both fled the woods as fast as we could. We had to carry on walking the same gravel path as it was enclosed between the cliff and sloping woodland.

This left me startled and intrigued. I had been to the country park a number of times before and never encountered anything like that. I decided to do a spot of research and I found some articles about an old house called 'The Cliff' in this country park. There was only ever one person living there and they were explained as having a split personality, both a woman and a man. They are rumoured to have spent their time drawing pictures and hanging them on the gate to their property, for passers-by to see. Another house was also explained, which sounds very much like the remains I described, even the location. An old gate to a huge garden is supposedly hidden in the ivy on that very cliff top. It is said to lead to an old period house, which was once an orphanage.

Has anyone ever seen anything like the 'creature' I saw? Is it in fact a ghost? Comments would be appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, houseoffools, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

LunarSage (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Nearest thing I have heard to that is a tulpa. Otherwise called a thought form. I have never seen one but what I have read says they are made by willpower. Maybe people seeing the pictures and the couple's focused on it enough to make a distorted creature? It's definitely eerie to say the least. Thanks for sharing.
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
Very interesting and well written story. Thank you for sharing! 😊
Pradeep (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
A good one but not too convincing... Our senses, especially our eyes can fool us...
londontat3 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-12)
hi, I'm like hyperventilating since I read this. I won't say which city this is near, but I live their, and go to Little SWitzerland alot. I have registered on this site solely (mostly) to comment on this post. The next chance I get I'm goin to lil swiss and I'm goin to ask about this 'house'. Please reply houseoffools! 😲
leahannes (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Really interesting story - I came across your story as I'm looking for anything to do with the humber bridge country park as I'm going on a ghost hunt there in October! Have a look at this comemnt on a facebook group - you might find it of interest!

Http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=12883&post=111176&uid=98025529291#!/topic.php?uid=98025529291&topic=12883
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
The first impression I got from reading this was that it was a cougar, but then I saw you're from the UK and, to my knowledge at least, there are no cougars in the UK. Unless it escaped from a zoo...
Still, this kind of experience would have chilled my bones. I have no other suggestion. Freaky.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
Redphx - Would you mind sending a copy of the cryptid spreadsheet to me? I think you have my e-mail address. If not, it's in my profile... Sort of. Thanks. I want to learn as much as I can. I've had a project in mind for at least 18 years now. The concept of the project has greatly evolved over time. In essence, I'm looking for REAL answers to many people's life-long questions as opposed to simply accepting the status quo just because it's what some scientists and religious scholars alike want you to believe.

BTW, with regard to this story, my thinking is that it is possibly an elemental. Or it could have been a giant house gecko (http://i.pbase.com/o3/94/339594/1/90089603.YiJo84ur.IMG_0572.JPG). They're kind of peach in color. 😉 Just kidding!

Do you have climbing equipment? Try going up there with a friend or 2. At the same time, try to respect its territory. Maybe even let it know your intentions. At least it will have a chance to hide, rather than be startled, if it doesn't want to be seen.
WReck72 (1 stories) (116 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-19)
Redphx any chance I could get a copy of the excel as well I am every interested in cryptids also
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-18)
I have no idea what this creature could be. It would be great if you could investigate the area properly. You could take some pictures and upload them (if the pictures have this creature in it), then us readers could see what it could be. You might of even discovered a new creature! That would be so cool. Sorry I can't help you out even more.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
dashslasher (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-17)
if it has fur maybe it could be a werewolf.werewolf's are bigger then a human of course
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-16)
I believe that paranormal doesn't just begin and end with the "former" human kind. Whatever it was that you saw is a paranormal entity. I would continue to visit this very mystical place that, by the way, sounds quite lovely. I would venture out some more and hopefully you will catch another glimpse of it. Good luck.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-07-15)
You are so right, Jitow! This is a demon. In fact, every encounter on this site is demonic, including the visitations of relatives who come back simply to remind us they love us. That is just pure evil right there. And all of those angel sightings? Wait, no... Those are real, because they are in the Jitowsphere. Everything else is just trying to suck our souls out and send us to the endless abyss of agony and fire and high gas prices and chicken sandwich lunch combos that cost $6.66.

I understand that you are a very religiously and spiritually closed-minded person and that's fine, but can you do something, anything productive with your life rather than wasting your time wagging your finger at everyone who believes in anything other than what is inside your own little personal bubble of supposed truth?
Jitow (362 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-07-14)
By definition, elementals are mythical. I see the word used a lot in forums like this but there is no physical, mental or spiritual basis for calling such an entity an elemental especially just because it is in the woods.
Karmasfoolishone (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-14)
I do believe that demonic forces take all shape and size, of any form. Also, they never fear us humans. So if you go back to persue this, be careful please. 😨
houseoffools (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Moongrim - yes, that would be the place. You know of it? Have you been there?
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
The place you mention, that wouldn't happen to be Humber Bridge Country Park, would it?

Http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4d5f30318786567cb5004a92/the-humber-bridge-country-park-/en
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
I think the theory of possibly this creature being an elemental is plausible. It is not as if we in the 'regular' world would be able to describe in any detail what all elmentals look like or how they may appear in different parts of the world. Just as animals and people may have differing charecteristics depending on where they come from, so it could be true for elementals.

I think that having it turn away from you, not being suprised or scared of you and not being confrontational is a sign that this possibly was an elemental you happened on that lives comfortably in this area.

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
Amibear (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
if you went on a site to research it could you email it to me aswell, I love reading about stuff like this, and I can't rest until I've found out what I want,:') I guess I'm really fussy, great story though, was it hairy or skin, or kind of fluffy?:) thankyou for this,

Amibear ❤
houseoffools (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Though some bald men may not choose to be bald, thus forcing them to retreat to the woods in shame, I am still inclined to believe they have faces. After all, their hair can't be covering it.:P

...Obviously I'm joking.

I don't believe it was a bald man, or a man at all. It was close enough to be identified as human.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Cryptids, Elementals, Gumbaroos,...or a bald man walking away from you into the brush.

Lou
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Earth elementals are commonly described as what we would call dwarves. They are small and earthy colored, but I suppose they could come in other hues, such as peach. They aren't the pretty little fairies that we hear so much about. They are children of the earth, of the dirt, of the ground. I can see why it would look so weird if it was a true elemental, maybe it doesn't really need facial features to complete its responsibilities. Earth elementals definitely look the most human, but who am I to say that its exactly what you saw?
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Ok. I emailed it to you.

Yes an elemental that could be. I think I was thinking alien just because of the way you described it. The mental image in my head probably didn't create it right. Can you draw us a picture? This would be a good account to add to the monster list.

I've never heard of an elemental taking on such a humanoid shape. That is the only thing that is throwing me off. But like with everything paranormal. Nothing follows an exact pattern and everything is a surprise!
houseoffools (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
champion - Thank you for your comment. I guess it would be possible for this 'creature' to have used the gate to escape.

I have yet to see this gate in the ivy so I suppose it may have been hidden well enough, thus supplying a possible escape.

I too wondered if it had been a deformed human living in the woods, that is a very plausible explanation.

Perhaps I will go back and try to take some photographs of this period house.

Thanks again.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
An elemental! Yes! Good idea! Didn't think of that this time. I'm trying to learn mor about elementals and earth spirits. Good point there, houseoffools. Since you were the one who has seen it, you have the best guess out of anybody.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Do you have the gumbaroo? One of my favorite monsters. I don't write about him much, because there is absolutely no evidence to prove it exists. But I still like it. I have so many cryptozoology books, I can't even count them. I'd love to help you out. I hope I have time. I'm going to be part of a ghost hunting team soon, and I will be helping an author write ghost books, I hope. But as much time that I can dedicate to monsters and cryptids, I don't see it as time wasted.
houseoffools (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Thank you for all of your comments. As interesting as all of the replies have been, and as much as I appreciate them, I don't entirely agree with them all. I can understand why this 'creature' I saw may sound like an alien, but I have a distinct feeling that it wasn't. Obviously I can't say for sure, no one can, but it strikes me as being much more elemental. Of course I could be wrong.

A monster of some sort may well be possible, though if it is a monster I still have a distinct feeling it is not as otherworldly as an alien species.

Miracles51031 - I have tried googling this creature with no avail. I have asked around, done some research and all I found out was what I included in the last main paragraph of my story. In terms of sightings people have only ever recorded ghostly encounters.

I do believe that there is much more to this world than ghosts, I always have. While I have encountered ghosts, I have much more personal evidence of other things. My first post about Walker's Farm being one of my main reasons for believing this.

Thank you again for all of your comments.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
If you want you can help in the project. Save a copy of the excel sheet and if you see something that is not on it let me know so I can add it to the 'main' one. That is if you have the time and desire to help. Up to you. I haven't done research on it in awhile. I've been too busy
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
My email address is on my profile. That sounds really awesome, I'd like to see it.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Is it possible that the hidden gate is behind those vines it vanished into? If there is a house there even in bad shape it would still be a great shelter for something like this and with it being so hard to reach would be a plus as it could stay hidden without anyone bothering it on a daily basis. Could it possibly be a deformed Human that has found safe haven there? Wish you luck!
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
yes I do love cryptids. I have an excel to catagorize them. They are classified like human/ape canine, feline... Actually what is your email address and I will send you a copy. You can add onto it too if you see something I missed. I am researching them and adding to the tabs. You will see when you get it.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: