You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: He's Upstairs

Real Ghost Stories

He's Upstairs

 

My family and I moved onto Fort Belvoir, Virginia on June 23, 2011. We were assigned this beautiful Victorian style home. It's new construction but the neighborhood has been here for quite some time so who know's what was here before us. George Washington's Mount Vernon is right down the road from the back gate by our neighborhood so it makes me wonder if this property possibly belonged to Mount Vernon at one time.

Anyway we wanted to get out of the hotel even though we had no furniture yet so we bought some air mattresses and decided to make due until our furniture was delivered. We walked through the house checking out every room, our dog was right along with us sniffing it all out. I noticed that Bandit (our dog) seemed uneasy while we were upstairs, her hackles were up almost the entire time we were up there. That's not like her at all, and her hair stayed like that until we came back downstairs. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it so I just brushed it off.

My hubby and kids decided to go run over to the store and pick up a desk for our laptop and tv we just bought. I stayed behind and decided to call my dad to let him know we got the house and were out of the hotel. We didn't have any chairs so I sat on the stairs while we talked, my dog was laying at my feet as usual. It was a pretty short call since he was working so when I hung up with him I planned to call my mom at home.

I hung up the phone and then I heard whispering coming from upstairs. My dog heard it too and she stood up, her hair went back up, and she just stared up the stairs. I sat there for a second thinking it must have been coming from outside, maybe in the neighbors back yard. But before I could get up to look I heard it again. It sounded like a little boy's voice. My dog looked at me and then up the stairs, and at this point I'm a little creeped out.

I got up and went to the backdoor and didn't hear or see anyone out there so I came in and went to the front door and checked and there wasn't anyone outside at all. The whole time my dog was right behind me, not letting me get very far from her. It made me wonder if that was why she was so nervous when we were upstairs earlier. Maybe she saw or sensed that was something up there.

We had only had the house for about an hour when the activity started. I'd never been in a place and had things start happening so fast. I didn't say anything to my family because I wanted to see if anything else happened to anyone other than myself before I told them what I heard.

Last week we were all sitting down having dinner at the table. My bedroom is directly above the dining room where our table sits. We were talking while eating and everything was good when we heard the floor up above us creak as if someone was walking around. These weren't big steps, but like a small child almost running. This time it wasn't just me that heard it, everyone did and they just looked up at the ceiling. It wasn't the dog because she won't go up there alone and we were all at the table with no one else in the house.

So I told my husband and kids what had happened the day we got the house. All of them weren't too surprised given some of the strange things that have happened over the years. We've only been here a month so I'm sure there will be more stories to come.

Other hauntings by deannah

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, deannah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
I just found this as it came up in the story rotation, and was wondering if Deannah, the original poster, had any followups.
deannah (12 stories) (18 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-05)
I will definitley start keeping a journal of my experiences. To me it sounded like the little boy was talking to someone other than myself. I wasn't able to distinguish what he was saying though. I don't know why the activity started so quick, when we moved into our apartment in Broolyn NY it didn't start until the next day and in Germany it was a few months before anything occurred.

I'm going to go to the local library and start digging around to try and find out who else owned this property and such.

This house was constructed around 2005-2006 and I'm not sure how many people have lived here before us... Probably not too many in that time span. There was only a week in the time between the prior family moving out and us moving in. Just long enough to clean, repaint, and lay new carpet.
moonlit5472 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-04)
Deannah,

I lived on Potomac Loop, River Village, in Fort Belvoir as a child when my father was stationed there in the 1960s. We lived there for a little over three years, and I was twelve when we transferred to Schofield Barracks. I am now 57 years old. My family--especially my father and I--had many paranormal experiences while living in our Fort Belvoir duplex on Potomac Loop. A while after moving from Belvoir, my father was told that the housing had been built over an area that contained a gravesite and that the site was never, or not entirely, cleared of the buried. We never ascertained if this was true.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
It's so weird that you experienced something within an hour of settling in. There are some really good suggestions made by the other posters here. I hope you take them to heart. Like the other posters, I would love to hear what you find out about the history of the house.

From the way you write, I can see that you have experienced a lot more than me so you probably know what to do to protect yourself and your family but I would like to give a small suggestion. Have you tried blessing your home. It is part of our Hindu tradition to blessing any home we move into so that we are not hurt by unwanted spirits.

Geetha
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Activity stirring within the hour of moving in? Looks like you'll be posting lots of story on here!

Did you happen to hear what the little boy was saying? Did it sound like he was saying something to you or more like saying something as if he was having a conversation with someone? Because that makes a big difference. If he was saying something to you, that could indicate that it's a intellectual haunting versus overhearing him having a conversation, which could be a residual haunting.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
deannah - just a couple of questions here, but do you have any idea how long the house had set empty before your family moved in and were you the first family to live in your home?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Hi deannah, I'm with you on thinking it very strange for activity to occur an hour after being in a new home. It usually takes a month or so before you start noticing things. I look forward to reading more about your experiences here, and good luck with your research of the land.

Thanks for posting. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
deannah - LOL looks like mysticman beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest keeping a journal of the activity in your home. I also keep one and have been for a long time. I'd recommend keeping track of everything your family experiences also, and that includes your dog.

Please keep us updated on your experiences. One of our members, BadJuuJuu, has a story on here "A Few Months of Odd" that gives some entries from her journal. Just in case you want to take a look to give you an idea.

I think we'd all be interested in what's going on. Thanks for sharing your stories.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Hi and thanks for sharing your experience. It seems possible that this could be some residual activity, maybe stirred up by your moving in there. Give it a while and see if it calms down once everything is settled in. If it keeps up, then you can call in someone from your religion (if you have one) or do a simple cleansing... Which one of our users such as Rook can probably describe for you.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Deannah--Dogs don't equivocate and dogs don't lie. It's as though a spirit were just waiting for a sensitive living being to take notice.
Good luck in your research and in coming to terms with what you discover. And isn't it a bit odd that in a new constructed a floor should creak? ~ James
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
deannah,

Thanks for posting, your story is really interesting! Please keep us updated:)
darkfantum (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
this is kind of weird but it seems ok as long as they arent scareing you to much but if this gets any worse put it on this website an il see if I can give you some advice

Darkfantum
mysticman1994 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
I agree with Javelina, the area that you live in is soaked in history and I'm sure a local musam or historical society will have some info regarding the land you live on. I keep a journal of all the experiences I have in my home so there's and idea to keep track of what's going on. In my opinion it sounds like a playful child spirit that just want to have the childhood that he missed out on. Keep us posted on what happens! Also pardon any spelling mistakes I have made, I'm so bad at it!

MM
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Wow! This house sounds like it's going to keep you busy for quite a while!

Jav
deannah (12 stories) (18 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Taz890 myself and my daughter have also seen a black shadow come down the stairs really fast and go into the dining room. We saw this at differnt times.

Javelina I am definitely going to do some digging and try to find out what was here before the base. I will keep you all posted on any further activity.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
interesting story deannah,
Has anyone else in the house mentioned anything happening?

Look forward to any other storys you might have
Carl
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
deannah,
This is a wonderful story. And a perfect place to start investigating what the source of your activity could be. I suggest you start with the local Historical Society. Being near Mount Vernon, there has got to be scads of information concerning your area. Maybe even try to employ a local paranormal team it investigate. Please keep us updated on your progress. This sounds like it could turn out very to be interesting.

Jav

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: