You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Knock Knock We're In The Closet

Real Ghost Stories

Knock Knock We're In The Closet

 

We moved to Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, New York in May 2006 and we left there in April 2008. During the time that we lived there we had several things happen in our apartment. I'll begin with the very first encounter I had. We moved into our apartment only 24 hours after we arrived because it would save money, we couldn't have our dog in lodging with us, and we knew we would be fine just sleeping on air mattresses for a few days. The next morning I got up and decided to go get a shower and get ready to run some errands. I was in our bathroom drying my hair at the very back of the apartment when I felt 2 tugs on the back of my shirt. I expected to see my 5 year old daughter standing there when I turned around, and to my surprise no one was there. When I got done I went out into the living room where my husband had both kids and our dog playing on the floor. I took my husband aside and asked him if either of the kids had come in our bedroom and he said no why? So I told him and he just looked and me and said ALREADY? I said I guess they wanted to get my attention.

After that I was fully aware of what else may happen and I rarely questioned anything out of the ordinary. We had knocks on the door' with no one waiting to come in. Whenever someone knocks on the door my dog let's out a grunt instead of a full-blown bark UNLESS they ring the doorbell. There were several instances of hearing someone knock on the door and she'd be grunting away but when we opened it no one was there. Me or my husband would look to see if anyone was outside or running down the stairs playing a prank on us and we never found anyone. Then there were times where she'd be laying on the floor and something would catch her eye and she'd stare and move her head like she was following someone walking around, and then look at me as if to say you can't see that? It was a little unsettling especially when she watched it move and it appeared to go behind where I was sitting.

The strangest thing that went on was the knocking on my headboard or nightstand right before it sounded like everything in the closet fell off the shelves at once. This never happened when my husband or kids were home. I thought I was dreaming the first time it happened because it seemed weird like my dreams often are. But when it happened again and again I knew that something else caused it. It was either in our bedroom walk-in closet or the hallway closet right outside our bedroom.

It was 4 or 5 months after we moved in when this happened the first time. I had gotten the kids off to school and went to lie back down for a little while. I don't know how long I was asleep but I was awoken to the sound of someone knocking on my nightstand right next to my head. It jolted me awake and I looked around my room and no one was there, then it sounded as if everything came crashing down from the shelves to the floor of my closet. I jumped up and ran in there and everything was in its place! Nothing had been disturbed. So I went through the rest of the closets in the apartment and everything was ok. I didn't know what to think of it, but I chalked it up to one of my strange dreams or really noisy neighbors. Told myself it was nothing. Then it happened again right after we re-arranged the bedroom. Again I was woken up to the sound of knocking on wood but it came from my headboard this time. Just like before it sounded like everything in my closet came crashing down. I go in there to check it out and nothing's out of place. This time it shook me up a little bit so I called my husband and asked if he could come by the apartment. He was on patrol (he's an MP in the Army) and wasn't busy so he came straight home. I explained what I heard and told him this was the second time it happened. So he took a look around and came up with nothing. What could he have done anyway, shoot at something that you can't see?

Things were quiet for a couple of months with no new experiences at all. Then one morning about a week before my brother-in-law passed away in Sept. 2007 I got woken up to the knocking again but this time it was VERY loud and it came from my headboard. It made my bed shake. I sat up and looked around and then came the crashing sound. But it came from the hallway closet outside our bedroom. We had luggage, rubber maids, kid's sports equipment, coolers, and all kinds of random stuff stacked up in there and it sounded like everything fell into the closet door. When I finally got the nerve to go look nothing was out of place. Now it was more of an annoyance than anything. Like they were playing a game with me or something. Like most of the past incident's I was the only one at home except for the dog.

We got our order's to move and got everything set up for the 2nd of April 2008. I was wondering if I was going to have anything else happen before we left or if it would continue to be quiet. I got my answer the day before the mover's came.

The kids were at their last day of school and my husband was out-processing so I was trying to sleep a little longer. I always get restless before we move and I don't sleep real good to begin with so I figured I'd rest while I had the chance. Yeah it didn't happen. I heard the knocking on my nightstand. I didn't even bother getting up. Then came the crashing in my closet. All I could think was I should've expected it.

Other hauntings by deannah

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, deannah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
OK THEN! Granny I googled and omg! I forgot to add usa πŸ˜†
Cant tell you what I found except you can not store kitchen wear in them 😲
Carl
CyberStruck28 (2 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
And I was sleeping and I got pinned down! 😲
Now does that show defense? Lol
CyberStruck28 (2 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
lol at Jav. He did the old pee-pee dance! And he ran so others couldn't see!

Wait. 😠
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
HAHAHAHAHA! What is a rubber maid? LOLZ! I love you, Taz. And what's this pervert junk?

This story is awesome. Thanx for sharing 😁 I can't stand it when I hear knocking & my cat gets all spazzy. More spazzy than just cat spazzy. You know? Lol! I hope so.

~LSD~
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
CyberStruck28
Thought he was great
So he trolled onto YGS

Not there but a minute
He found himself in it.
And thought that he'd give it his best

But his best was lacking
He just wasn't stacking
Up to those much better than he.

He messed in his pants
Did the old pee-pee dance
And ran before others could see.

Jav

~~I'll do better next go around folks~~
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
OOoooh! You're a troll! Well, guys, you know what that means! Time for a little troll tune! I'll see what I can whip up! πŸ˜†

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Uh,CyberStruck28,
How does a spirit tugging on the back of a shirt make it a pervert?

Jav
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Dont worry Taz they got me on that one aswell buddy! You are not alone lol! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
taz,
You don't really want to go Snipe hunting again, do you?

Jav πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
thanks granny 😊
You know how I got caught out last time so I'm extra carefull now!
What was it again some small bird you (dont) have over there πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Taz: LOL Rubber Maid is a brand name of plastic food containers, kitchen utensils, glasses, etc here in the States... Google on bro! πŸ˜† ❀
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
great story again got to ask though what is a rubber maid? I know I'm safe asking as jav and the other loonies have nothing to do with this post!
(long story, but I have been caught out twice before)
Azu-Meow123 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
that's interesting. Something like that happened to me but only once. I was alone and it was mid daylight outside and I heard two knocks from my closet and I knocked back and what ever it was knocked back and I was alone. I got kind of scared... But that never happened to me again. 😐
EyesWideOpen (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
deannah,

I know I've commented on poltergeists before. I've read that poltergeists are attracted to young children, possibly prefering young girls. Then I've read that the ghost uses the child's energy to cause a little chaos, objects exploding, other things being thrown around, and assuming all of this activity isn't specifically aimed at any particular person..., although there have been people that were slightly injured.

I think there is a fly in the ointment.

A poltergeist is supposed to be able to move material objects, things like furniture being moved, and I mean very big and heavy furniture. There may actually be REAL noise.

I've read hundreds of stories and more than a few included details that should be impossible. Like a very large dining table moving from the first floor to the attic. And the only entrance to the attic is on the third floor, and it is a small entrance.

And not so much as a scratch in the table.

This is just one example. More frequently things like having all the furniture in one room being rearranged. Then there was the case of all the furniture in one room was swapped with all the furniture in another room. And I don't recall reading anything about noise. That is because the residents were out of the house for a while. Some thing like this has actually happened to me.

They had quite a surprise when they returned home.

So, when you "hear" noise, like things crashing and exploding, subsequently you investigate only to discover everything is in its place, nothing missing, and no damage, then the only conclusion I come to is that one, and possibly more people but not necessarily everyone present can hear the "noise." The perceived noise doesn't actually exist. In other words, you are not hearing anything from your ears, it is only in your mind, which goes a long way to explain why one or several people in a crowd may perceive this "noise" and a hundred other people perceive nothing.

Imagine this, there is a large dinner party and a ghost shows up causing trouble, maybe viciously attacking one or more people, and you may be the only one that can see what is really happening. You try to intervene, while shouting for help. Everyone around you starts thinking you are crazy, you may even be seen as the cause of the attack..., not a pretty picture.

This other sort of poltergeist that causes real damage, and the noise as a consequence actually causes vibrations in the air which the human ear is designed to detect are actually REAL NOISE. I'm no certified ghost hunter or anything of that sort. But, then there really are at least two kinds of poltergeist. Ha! Or what we are aware of are actually two different kinds of ghosts.

I've read about shadow people causing a LOT of property damage, and sometimes hurting people, and not just a little! Seems they can mimic the behavior of the previously mentioned poltergeist..., the only distiction is we can see one, but not the other. Is anyone making notes?

We may not have the science or technology to identify, or repel unwanted visitors in our homes, but we do have our computers, our minds and our hearts, AND we have a spirit of our own. Then last but definitely not least is we have faith and God on our side.

God has told us to know our enemy and his ways, so we may not be deceived. That is just one thing He expects from us.

Oh, if you think your experience suggests there are friendly ghosts, you need to keep reading. These "friendly" ghosts seem to eventually turn on you. That might be because they are not ghosts at all.

God Bless You ❀
everlong (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-24)
That sounds like it could be a residual type haunting. If you're unfamiliar with that word it means, a noise or sound or voice will be heard and it's always the same noise or sound. It is theorized that it's like a tape recorder of an occurrence that happened in the past that imprinted itself in time and it plays over and over. Usually it will play at the same time during the day or night. It's just something that happened that could have been related to something horrible and that sound is trapped in time and just plays itself out. Don't know if that helps or if it made sense, but that's what it sounds like. Definitely nothing to be afraid of.
aswanghunter1 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-25)
knock knock.
Who's there?
Crash.
Crash who?
Maybe the spirit had a crash on you ❀
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-24)
I was wondering if this could be a residual haunting but then I wouldn't know how to explain the knocking... O well at least you don't live there anymore. Now on to the next right? ❀ Jasmin
chunkygut1 (13 stories) (73 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-24)
Maybe the spirit or whatever it may have been simply wanted your attention. It might have needed help crossing over but there's nothing you can do about that now since you're in Germany. 😜 Anyway nice story and thanks for sharing.

Good health and prosperity to you. ❀
ginko (1 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-23)
Hmmm... No comment 😊 thanks for sharing this story... There always been a knock knock ghost, hmmp, there really scary
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-23)
wow. That's weird what is the other story about germany called deannah? 😊
deannah (12 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-23)
Things have been happening in our new home. We live in Germany now and I wrote the story about my hairdryer. You should check it out.
SUMMER (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-23)
❀ Maybe "it" doesn't want you to move? Please let us know if anything happens in the new place...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: