You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Real Haunted House Story

Real Ghost Stories

Real Haunted House Story

 

This is a true story about a house that was haunted.

1980

My parents got divorced when I was 2. My mom and I moved into a house with her sister, Carol (divorced as well). It was an old white farmhouse with a silo and barn they rented from a local doctor in Huntingburg. It was located on Old Huntingburg Road. Most of the "phenomenon" that happened there, happened to my Mom.

It first started off with little things would be missing, like hairbrushes, the phonebook, stuff like that. There was also a room upstairs that every once in a while there will be a puddle of water on the floor. It wouldn't have been raining, my diaper didn't leak, and we had no animals. It was also hardwood floor. Never left a watermark.

There was one night when Mom and I were sleeping. Aunt Carol worked 2nd shift and when she came home around 11pm, Mom heard her come in, do her thing, and went to her room. Minutes later the kitchen light came on (Mom's and my room was on the ground floor and she could see the light from our room). Then the doors and drawers started opening and shutting, like someone was looking for something. Mom was getting mad cause she didn't want her to wake me up. She was about to get up when it stopped and the light went out. Next morning Carol asked Mom "what the hell she was looking for last night". Mom was like "ME? I thought it was you?"

My Aunt Carol always had an explanation for everything that went on in that house. She couldn't explain this one. One day she was talking on the phone and water started coming out of the receiver, she looked up at the ceiling. No water. She even took the phone apart. Couldn't figure that one out.

Another time Mom and I were in the house, we were upstairs and Mom was doing something when she heard a loud "BANG" from downstairs. Back in the day, workers were blasting for coal or ore and sometimes it would shake the house. So Mom figured that's what is was and a picture fell off the wall. So she went downstairs, looked around, didn't see anything so back upstairs she went. Happened again "BANG", so back down she went, looked around and this time heard it again, "BANG" coming from upstairs. Well I was still up there, so she ran upstairs, grabbed me and we left. We came back later when Carol was home. Mom would tell her what happened and Carol wouldn't believe her and blew it off.

The very last night we stayed there we were all sleeping. Mom woke up around 1am to the sound of someone breathing beside her. She would listen and listen. She would hold her breath and could hear me in my crib breathing, but still heard this slow in and out breathing right beside her. Mom says she knows the expression "scared stiff". The only thing she could move was her eyes to see the time. As she lay there she drifted off to sleep. When she woke up it was light outside, she packed up our stuff and found a different place to live that same day.

It wasn't long after that Carol moved out. Mom never said anything about what happened cause she didn't want people to think she was crazy, until one night.

Mom worked in the ER at the time and one night a guy that she knew came in. Apparently he came home drunk that night, got into it with the ol' lady and she beat the crap out of him. That's why he was there. While Mom was looking at his chart she noticed they lived in that house. When she got into the room it was just him, so she nonchalantly started talking about that house. Said she used to live there and stuff. Then she asked him if anything weird happened there. Mom said he sat up straight and said "I hear them all the damn time! Up there banging around, I'll run up there with a baseball bat and then they'll stop" Mom then knew she wasn't crazy.

We need to fastforward about 10 years...

I was around 15 when Mom took me out there. It was on a Friday or Saturday night. Mom and my Stepdad had some friends over at the house, drinkin, having a good time, when somehow the subject got brought up. Mom never told this other couple this story, let alone my Stepdad and when she finished they all wanted to go see it. So I and my parents, the other couple, their 3 kids and their dog headed out. On the way there my Stepdad was telling Mom it wasn't true, quit freakin out the kids. He didn't believe in ghosts...yet. When we got there the house had been abandoned. The grass was up to our knees and of course it was dark. When we got inside I was freakin, but Mom was like taking my hand and giving me the tour "this was our room, and this was the kitchen, look at the beautiful bay windows" stuff like that... I was thinking "thats great Mom, can we leave now"?

While we were there nothing really happened, we didn't hear anything, see anything and the dog they brought wasn't acting weird, but there was a closet door right when you walk in the back door that wouldn't open. The guys were trying like crazy to open that door. They kicked and pulled and pushed and the thing would not open. Someone asked Mom what was behind that door she says she couldn't remember. We were getting ready to leave and couldn't find my Stepdad, so we started calling his name. Here he comes out of the house with a weird look on his face. We get in the car and leave. When we got back to the house, the guys started talking about that door again. They were adamant on wanting to see what was on the other side. Then my Stepdad told them what happened...

When we were at the house my Stepdad said he heard something like a sweeping sound coming from upstairs. He thought one of the other guys were up there so he was going to go up and scare them. While walking up he heard it again. When he was up there that's when he heard all of us yelling for him. Thats when he thought to himself "shiat I'm the only one up here" So headed back out.

When we pulled up and walked up to the back door, guess what... That closet door stood wide open! It was just a closet with nothing but packets of Ramen noodles and some old records. The guys, minus my Stepdad, went in the house. Nothing happened so we went home. When we got home Mom noticed that someone brought with us those waltz records. Mom freaked out thinking something was going to come home with them, but nothing did. I actually have those records and played them. Nothing happens.

It was my senior year, Mom begins telling me that the local fire dept is holding some fire training at the "house". She said when they are done they're going to just burn the whole thing down and she wanted to go watch. So we drove and parked about 200 yards away, great view. Then they set it on fire. I don't know if this was just my mind playing tricks on me, but Mom pointed it out. When the fire reached the second floor, really strange looking smoke came out of the front window. Its was long and black, like, I can't explain it just weird looking.

So anywho the house burnt down, the silo and barn still stand, and someone built a brand new house there. One time Mom did some research on that property. Wanting to know who, why, how? Here is a couple conclusions and just some freak accidents. And they all happened within a square mile of this house.

1. The old man who originally lived there was struck and killed by a passing car on his way to get the mail.

2. A neighbor boy was killed by falling down a silo while playing with his brother

3. A man was crushed to death when the jacks gave way and his car fell on top of him. (happened on that short curve right past Fed Ex)

4. A motorcyclist driving too fast lost control on the railroad tracks and died.

5. Suicide? Not paying attention? A man who worked at Farbest Foods walked right in front of the train when it passed one day

6. And the best one of all... The house was built on Indian burial grounds.

Thank you for reading. I've been wanting to share this for a while, but could never find the time. Oh yeah, one last thing: Mom ran into one of the neighbors on that road. Actually he would be the closet neighbor. To make a long story short, he told Mom to never tell that story to his wife, cause they're hearing noises in their basement since that house burnt down...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, emilynoel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

maxpower (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-11)
When they were trying to open the closet door there was probably a spirit using all its power to keep it shut.

Nice story, when they burned the house down it might of upset and/ or made the spirit (s) angry in the house as well so that's why there is noises in the basement.
M14 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
Very interesting... Has anything happened to you or your family since you moved away?
ind_83 (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
hi emilynoel, your experience is a really great one... Visiting the haunted house at night time... Oh my god, I just cannot think about it, anyways good one, thank you for sharing 😊
emilynoel (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
For those of you who enjoyed the story... Thank you. For the ones who are skeptical, well, all I can say is that I am going by what my Mother & my Aunt Carol have told me. They are not liars. Reminder, I was only a toddler while living there so I don't remember anything. The "accidents" that occured within the area all happened within the last 50 or so years. Its a pretty small community, so pretty much what happens in this town, everyone knows about it. There is a small river that runs through that area and students from IU would come down and dig up Indian artifacts from there. They are the ones who concluded the idea of an Indian Burial ground. I honestly don't know who lives there now and I don't know if anything is happening there either.
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Ahhhhh, WAIT! With glasses on it's clearly two separate sentences! Lol yep. I rock, but I'm blind as a bat! Hehehe
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Lol, yeah... I'm particularly impressed with the 'ventricular fibulation and JELL-O part...I'm wondering if that wasn't a bad call on their part to use those three words in the same sentence? Bleah lol
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
[at] Indigo,
NICE CALL! (pun intended) 😉
Thanks for the info on the phone lines. That was one of the more creepy parts of this experience for me and I'm happy to see that it's been cleared up.
Oh yeah, you rock!

Jav 😊
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
A STRAIGHT DOPE CLASSIC FROM CECIL'S STOREHOUSE OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE
Can you be electrocuted while on the phone in the bathtub?

February 18, 1977
Dear Cecil:

Everybody knows that (1) telephone service is usually not interrupted when electric power goes out and that (2) you can talk on the phone while soaking in the bathtub without electrocuting yourself. Why? What's so special about the way telephones are powered?

- Vicki T., Los Angeles

Cecil replies:

Instead of being wired to your house electrical line, most telephones are powered by storage batteries located at the telephone company's central headquarters. The storage batteries, of course, are themselves charged by the local electric company line, but when possible, the phone company, in its infinite wisdom, tries to connect to two different power sources--in case the generator supplying one line goes out, they can fall back on the other. If everything fails, the batteries can usually supply enough current to cover short breaks in service. Should there be a longer interruption, many of the central stations are equipped with diesel generators that can be pressed into action with a flick of the switch.

All of this complicated re-routing of electricity is made necessary by the happy fact that the telephone runs on a much smaller current than that supplied to homes by the power company--a happy fact because that's what keeps you from roasting your eyebrows when you're phoning from the tub. It takes a mere 100 milliamps of current flowing through your bod to bring on a killer dose of "ventricular fibrillation," as they call it in the trade. Your heart stops beating and starts to quiver like an emotionally distressed bowl of Jell-O, cutting off the flow of blood to the brain and other vital organs. The electrical outlets in your home pack a whopping 15 amps; your humble telephone carries less than a tenth of a milliamp. That isn't much, but under some circumstances it might be enough to do a little damage, so underwater telephony should still be approached with caution. No deaths have ever been reported from this sort of thing, but there's a first time for everything.

- Cecil Adams

Moongrim- living here in the Ohio river valley, things get wet. Very wet, very humid. I'm not saying it's impossible to get electrocuted by the old style rotary phones having water in their receivers, I'm just saying it was pretty common locally. Water built up inside everything.
As to the author of the story- your story reminded me to call my dad. I asked him about the old house we used to live in. The farmer that owned this house set fire to it as well, and turned it into fields but left the old milkhouse, silo and barn, but they're currently not being used. As to the burial grounds, the mounds are quite common up and down the river, and the locations are pretty well known. Was this a Shawnee burial ground, or what tribe? Have you researched that bit of information yet?
Indigo (263 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Lest we forget, this was rural Indiana---circa 1980, when phones were QUITE different, lol. Party lines, extremely frequent outages, where, upon calling the phone company, the lineman would tell you "it's most definitely a short-dump some water on the line that enters the house", and the phone receivers DID "sweat" and hold water to the point that you could pour it out of the mouthpiece, lol.

I'm interested in this story because my entire family, excluding my youngest brother who hadnt been born yet, had one very similar in greensburg Indiana. Our experience terrified my parents so badly that they rounded us up in a car in the middle of the night and never went back for a single thing. This was the location of my first clearly memorable paranormal experience.
hiya_hayz (5 stories) (66 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Seriously, water coming out of the phone? Didn't that happen in the movie "The Ring"? Lol I don't believe a singe part of this story, and after reading these comments I don't think I'm the only one. 😆
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Very interesting story a bit curious to know where in Indiana this is!
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
What a great story! Thank you for sharing it! I love a good classic haunted house! 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Emily I enjoyed your story, so much death and history related to the area it is no wonder your mum, aunt, and yourself experienced what you did. What is the chances of something continuing to make itself known if something new was built on the land? Quite high in my opinion. I wonder what would have happened if you took the noodles and ate them! 😆 Great account.

Thank you for sharing.

Daniel
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
Hey- that was a really good story. Thanks- one of the better told stories here.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
interesting story thanks for adding it 😊
Some strange things going on there that's for sure!
And to the comments about peoples accidents in the area sorry but no, I have lived where I do for almost 6 years and NO ACCIDENTS, STRANGE DEATHS OR SUICIDES.
So not everywhere has thigs like that happen.

I do think that your mum had to see the house burn down like the end of a part of her life that was not good being finaly laid to rest so to speak
Carl
flamingschizoid (22 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
this story was fracking awesome I love it love it love it! Tell me: is anyone experiencing anything in the house that was newly built? Oooooh I would love to hear about that!
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
When you get down to Brass tacks, EVERY square inch of land in North America is either a burial ground, a battle ground, or a previous living space for someone over the millenia.
And how do you KNOW it's a burial ground?
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
You seem to have a rather thorough knowledge of the deaths that occur in that region. But then any city also has no small number of accidents, of every nature.

Now the phone thingy. That sounds like a routine from a Three Stooges film. Because the 28 volts DC that is within every phone in North America, would be shorted out, and cause an electrocution should water be inside the receiver...

Rather odd indeed.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
Thank you for sharing this story. It was very detailed and enjoyable. The part that really got me was the water in the phone. That sounds really dangerous! I'm glad that everyone you know seemed to have gotten out of that house unscathed. That's a lot of death on the property, no wonder it was so active!
JarMan (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
Your Aunt has the best attitude for the paranormal. It's best to try and explain things before jumping to conclusions.

The water out of the phone thing? I don't buy it one second. I don't believe spirits can bring water out of thin air. They still have to play by the Universe's rules even if they are dead.

Some of the stuff you listed is classic hauntings and I won't bother with that stuff, but I have to tell you, at the end of your story, all the stuff that happened all within a mile, PLUS it was on an Indian burial ground? You have to be kidding me. I don't believe that for a second.

People die all the time and accidents happen all the time. Hell I wouldn't even rule out the idea of a house actually being built on a cemetery since it HAS happened in the past, but in all honesty it feels like you put all of that stuff on the end to just try and valadate your story and I don't buy it.

Do you have any credible evidence to support any of your claims on what happened or where the house was built?
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
Favorite list for sure.
I loved how even other people have experienced something in and around the house making it all the more believable.
I'm also so surprised that your Mom wanted to go back so often. Lol If I was her and this happened Id take my son (who is 2 years old) and run for the hills screaming like a crazed lunatic (I can actually visualize myself football holding my son in one arm and frantically waving my other running as fast as I can towards mountain like hills screaming like a banshee with Iron Maiden's "Run For The Hills" song backround music's my escape 😆)
metalmomma3 (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
This was a great read! Very interesting to read the occurences that happened in the house and then all the other things that happened around the grounds. Also interesting to find out the house was built on an indian burial ground!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
[at] emilynoel,
Nothing like a good old fashioned haunted house, huh?
This was very intriguing, the water coming out of the phone receiver was truly unique. That was a first for me. I am surprised that the albums they grabbed did not have anything attached to them, you'd think they would, but then again, these spirits seemed to be attached to the land as well as the house. And very possessive of both it seems.
What always gets me is that it never fails, there is usually one person who refuses to believe their own eyes and ears. Living there and just taking the sceptic role to the nth degree. I swear, I don't know how they do it! Even when it happens to them (water from the phone as an example), I'll never get over that.
Thank you for sharing your (mothers) experiences with us. It was a great read.

Jav
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
Durn the drunk guy's wife beat him so hard he was in the hospital? Its usually the other way around. I would have loved to explore that old house, too bad they burnt it down. Could the strange smoke be all the spirits escaping forever? Or were they just leaving until the fire burnt out? Does any activity happen at the new house that was built there? So many questions...
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
Hey Emily...WOW! That is a great story albeit a scary experience! I first commend your mom for getting the hay out of there. There is so much history on this house that it more than likely has numerous hauntings from different entities. The sighting of the burning of the house sounds chilling... Did anyone happen to video tape, photograph, anything? I would love to see it.

I will be interested to hear about the newest goings-ons in your new house. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: