You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Even After Death, She Still Watched Over Us

Real Ghost Stories

Even After Death, She Still Watched Over Us

 

This particular experience occurred while I was still living at my parent's house in Perth, Western Australia and it started a few days before my Nan's funeral. She had had a major stroke the week previous and never woke up.

When I found out that my Nan had died, it finally sunk in. I hadn't coped very well that past week while she had been in intensive care and wasn't particularly comforting to my Mum either. I dealt with the situation as best I could - with feigned detachment. So when she did pass, I finally let my guard down and began to accept what had happened. With the funeral coming up close I hadn't been sleeping the best anyway, so when I woke up at 4 am on that Monday morning, I wasn't completely surprised but that all changed when I heard a noise from outside my window.

It was an indefinable muffle, very low and I had to strain my ears to make out what it was. I remember my heart started pounding and a knot grew tight in my chest. Turning on my bedside lamp, I sat up in bed and couldn't move. Listening harder I realised that the noises I was hearing, were actually words. I slowly crept out of bed and walked towards my bedroom window, to see if I could make out what was being said. My heart stopped momentarily and I began to cry. I understood what I was hearing - a sentence, being repeated over and over again. It said - "Traci and Aimee, its Nanny, Traci and Aimee, its Nanny" - which are mine and my sister's names. I was overwhelmed with emotions, both terrified and upset at the same time. I remember telling the voice to stop (even though I knew who it was) as I was scared and panicked.

As I told the voice to stop, I heard another noise coming up the hall, like shuffling feet - then it stopped at my door. As I waited in anticipation, my cat started scratching at the door urgently. I opened it up quickly and she raced in, jumped on my bed and laid down looking at me. When I regained my focus, the voice had disappeared and all I could hear was the first birds of morning.

After a while I fell asleep again, with my cat by my side. When I woke a few hours later, I knew I had to tell my Mum straight away what I experienced, so I went down to her room and proceeded to tell her everything that had happened. To my surprise, my mum confessed to me that she had also woken up at 4am but heard no voice. She told me as she was lying in bed, she was looking into the blackness of her walk in robe just thinking, when she noticed an orb of light sitting mid high in the air. She told me it was perfectly round but didn't really think much of it at the time - dismissing it as the glow of a street light coming through the window and went back to sleep. But when I had told her about my experience, we checked out the window in the robe and the blinds were half closed. There was barely enough room for a slit of light to escape, let alone a perfectly round ball.

My Nan visited again a year or so later, one night as my mum and I sat watching TV. We were sitting together in the lounge room watching a show when all of a sudden the power went out. From memory I think we scrounged around in the dark looking for a candle or something when the lights came back on again. It was around 11pm at that stage we were quite tired, so we decided it was time for bed.

We turned off the TV and the lights to the lounge room and said our good nights while standing in the hallway (which was facing the lounge). As I was about to head to my bedroom, I heard a voice from the darkest corner of the lounge say softly but clearly - "its okay, she's alright". Stopping in my tracks I looked at my mum and by the look on her face I knew she had heard the same thing. I asked her if she had heard what I had just heard. Cautiously, she asked me what it was I had heard. After repeating the sentence, she confirmed my suspicions. After freaking each other out, we ran to our rooms at opposite ends of the house. It wasn't until the next day did we find out from my sister that at 11pm the night previous, when the lights went out in our house, she and her fiancé had lost control of their car no more than 5 minutes away from our house and crashed into a power line, which in turn caused the blackout. She passed out for a moment and found herself being dragged from the car by a passer-by just as it burst into flames. Luckily both her and her fiancé walked away unhurt.

It was (and is) comforting to know that even though my Nan had passed away, she was still looking out for us. After these encounters, I had a few dreams of her - most of the time she sat mute - eyes blank. In others she was dressed in white, lying in bed and talking to me, looking much younger than I could ever remember her to be. In the very last dream I had of my grandmother, I was sitting down on a bench watching her follow my family around in a shopping centre, not walking with them but closely behind. She stopped all of a sudden and turned towards me. As she walked over to me, she began to speak - not verbally but to my mind. She told me she had to go and couldn't stay any longer. I remember crying uncontrollably, telling her I didn't want her to go. This time she cried too and gave me a huge hug. As I told her I loved her and missed her, she disappeared. I woke up straight after the dream had ended, still racked with sobs. I have never dreamt of her since or had any experience that would indicate she is still here but I miss her every day.

Other hauntings by Vatishi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vatishi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vatishi (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my story. Its one of those things that I replay in my mind over and over again and I start to wonder sometimes if it was all in my head - but I have learnt over the years that some things you just can't rationalise. Geetha50 - I told my mum of the dream when it happened and she herself has had a few of her own but not until yesterday did I mention it to my sister. She found it very comforting and advised me of one she had of my uncle before any of us knew he had died. I'll write about that one soon. 😊
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
Vatishi ~ What a sweet and touching story! Your grandmother really must have a lot of love for you all to do what she has done, I'm sure she is at peace now, and as DARKNESS said nice to hear a story from my home town! 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
Vatishi: Wow great account and it also great to hear another story that has happened in my home city aswell very rare. 😲 This is a wonderfull set of experiences that you witnessed from your Nan. I am glad that your sister was okay and rescued from the car that is truly remarkable. Take comfort in the fact that your Nan was and is still looking out for your best interests. If you want have a look at my two stories you may also be familiar with the locations.😊 All the best.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
Beautiful story, thank you. I can relate to it, as my Grandparents lived with us until their passing and I was especially close to my Gran who is still part of my family and I speak outloud to her regularly (usually while I am cleaning!) and let her know what is going on with everyone and I believe she is there and I can sometimes even hear (in my mind) her replies. It helps me, maybe it could do the same for you?
Wishing you well. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
Vatishi - what a wonderful story ❤. I think your grandmother stayed until she did what she needed to do. Maybe one of those things was you being able to communicate with her without being "freaked out" 😊. And I agree with the others, giving you and your mom the message that your sister was okay. What many people wouldn't give to have someone let them know in a situation like that. You didn't need to go through the panic and fear. She was okay.

Great story, Vatishi 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
what a wonderful touching story thank you so much for sharing 😊
It is nice to know that even when loved ones pass they are still around
Straight to faves
Carl
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
I lost my maternal grandmother to stroke also, so I know how you felt when you lost her. I guess life isn't fair that way. But just know that she is at peace now. Your grandmother must have felt unsettled after she passed away but she knew how she died and your grandmother wanted to make sure that her family okay with the passing and had her proper way of saying farewell. I know it hurts to lose someone you love but know that she is at peace now and that she let you know before she left; not everyone gets that opportunity so be happy that you got it. Did you ever tell your mother and sister about your dream?
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
I really liked this story and think it's so sweet that you were able to see your Nana after she passed. In a way, it's like a good source of closure; a proper way to say goodbye to someone you love dearly. It's amazing that you were able to experience this and it broke my heart because the love that you shared was very clear and strong. Thank you for sharing ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
This is a very touching story. I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. It always amazes me how our loved ones find little ways to let us know they are still around and watching over us. That is pretty chilling how you and your mom both heard her voice saying she was ok, only to find out the next day about your sister's accident. Great story! Thanks for sharing it.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
It sounds like your Nan is looking out for her family. I don't know much about the paranormal but was told that if you have dreamt about your Nan it means that she has passed over safely.
I'm so glad to hear that your sister and her boy toy were unharmed. I'm sure your Nan had something to do with your sister making it out okay from their accident.
This story put a smile on my face. 😁
CHEERS
MM
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
Wow, I really liked this story. I don't have a lot to say about it, honestly. You wrote it very well, with just enough detail. I love these stories when not just one, but multiple people hear the same thing. And your sister and her fiance! WOW! They were so lucky! That is still sending chills down my arms thinking of how Nan told you she was alright. Amazing, just a great story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: