You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Beloved Dog Comes Home After Death... A True Love Story

Real Ghost Stories

Beloved Dog Comes Home After Death... A True Love Story

 

These are my true accounts of what happened to me after my beloved dog Yabba died. I felt compelled to tell my story to those people that are suffering with the loss of their furry companions to try to give them some comfort and hope in knowing that death is not the end, but a transition. I hope with all my heart and soul, my story will touch that special someone who is grief stricken with their loss and give them some peace and understanding.

Beloved Dog Comes Home After Death... A True Love Story 1

My dog Yabba died on August 30th 2011. She was 11 days shy of her 17th birthday. She and I were inseparable; we had an unspoken bond of love and understanding. She was my rock and the love of my life aside from my son.

Yabba survived breast cancer, two knee surgeries and pancreatic surgery. After her breast cancer she was given one year to live due to the fact that the vet expected it to return. That was in 2006. She was my little miracle dog. She lived a long and happy life regardless of the problems she had.

On 8/30/2011 I woke up and found my beloved passed. She looked so peaceful and so beautiful. She died in her sleep. I was crushed. My body ached with pain and sorrow and even though she was old, and I knew it was coming, I just couldn't let it go. I had to try to reach out to her. I began calling out her name, while taking pictures hoping I could get just a glimpse of her. Well on the second shot, I caught a picture that to me looks like a dog. I hope I can post it at the end of my story. After that, I made a memorial where she used to lay. I put her toys, a rosary and a Jesus candle. I spoke to her every day, as if she was still here.

Beloved Dog Comes Home After Death... A True Love Story 2

Well... One day, I took out her ball and said "Yabba, here's your ball, come on let's play". The ball moved! It was sitting still on the floor and rolled. Then it happened again. As I squatted down in disbelief, I felt something brush past my leg and I not only felt a tap on my arm, but I heard it. I was so stunned. I got a little freightend at first but then realized, maybe its Yabba.

That night as I was going to sleep, I felt something bite my big toe. It was ever so gentle. I specifically remember feeling teeth on top and on the bottom. I literally had to pull my foot back towards me because I was like what the heck is that!

I know in my heart, that my Yabba came back to let me know she is still with me, alive somehow in another dimension, and is ok. It was just one thing after another that never happened to me before.

I am eternally grateful that my Yabba was able to make contact with me to let me know she is still here and very much alive in spirit. I believe our immense love for each other helped to facilitate contact. So to all those people who have lost a beloved pet, I'm sure somehow, some way, your beloved will let you know they are still with you. Have hope and most importantly, believe... And expect.

Sincerely, Maureen

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, yabba830, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LisaasiL (1 posts)
+2
3 months ago (2023-12-23)
This has helped me, thank you! I've saved and read your story many times. Bless you, hon!
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-14)
Oh Mimi, I am so so sorry. Losing a beloved pet tears your heart out. Sending you hugs and healing thoughts. ❤
ThatGirlMimi3 (1 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-14)
Thank you for sharing your story. My girl, Dolly, died on Sunday just four days ago and I am sick with grief. It's stories like this that grant me a bit of reprieve. Mimi~ 😭
RMM34667 (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-23)
I found this site and your post while searching for stories of Pets after death. Interesting too that your Yabba died on August 30th. This August 30th I lost my kitty Buttercup. She was about 10 months old and I had found her in the woods. I took her in just 4 months earlier. That night my mother and I were watching TV and heard a meow. It was not other cat. I immediately KNEW it was her. The next night we were watching TV when I hear rattling under the TV Stand, I reach in to find one of her toys. Then the third night I felt her jump up on the couch beside me. Although I knew each of those things happened I was finding it hard to believe she was really there. But reading your story and the comments helps. I have not felt her since, but that is ok, she needs to move on. Hopefully I can too.
Mac_Barbie93 (6 stories) (42 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-20)
I also had my 18 year old cat return to me after we had to put him to sleep because he was suffering from fluid in his kidneys and heart problems that were irreversible due to old age. You can read the story on I guess this quote holds true, the ones who love us never really leave us, you can find them here ❤ I have shared the story on this site and you can find it on my profile. Fifi gave us 18 beautiful yes as of memories before he left for the rainbow bridge. I grew up with him, and ours was a very close bond, just like yours.

Yabba was such a beautiful dog, look at those eyes! Aww:) what a heart touching story and going directly into my favourites. I'm sure she's blessing you from above and she will always look out for you from doggie heaven, just like she did when she was physically with you. Love and hugs.
Momuv3 (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-20)
Years ago a big tree destroyed our house so while fixing it we had to move into a small 1,000 sq ft rental for over a year. We had 3 adults, 3 kids a cat and a dog named "Honey". It was late we were watching a show on our tv near our front door. We let Honey out to go to the bathroom before bed when she didn't come back right away like she usually does I called from the couch to the open front door. I heard and felt a breeze blow through the door I said "Honey?". It was a very still warm summer night, there wasn't any wind except for that one moment. When it happened I immediately thought Honey came through the door but when I looked over I didn't see her. We went out looking and calling her for 30 minute My husband found her dead already rigamortis in the ditch where the raccoons like to hang out in the pipe under the driveway. We were devastated! We all loved her so much even though we only had her a short time. She was so connected to everyone in the family. We all had our own special bond with her. That breeze was something I never felt before, I felt "Honey's" presence when it blew through. Even though I didn't know she was dead at the time I realized it had to be her when I called her. Her soul came in like nothing happened. She probably followed us all over the yard and neighborhood looking for her saying "Im right here". I have never had a pet die that way, they all grew old and had to be humanely put to sleep. That was the only pet/ soul experience I ever had. I had that same feeling when I was 13 a just known feeling of someone next to me telling me everything will be alright "name" and a hand on my heart. That time I was frozen with fear. But a feeling of knowing that god or a passed family member consoling me when I needed them. That's my story, and I don't care if anyone believes me.
RitaCMW (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-02)
Thank you for posting your experience. My family is grieving after euthanizing our old friend who was just shy of his 15th birthday. We always perform a sort of Buddhist ceremony to send off our pets' souls, so I have never seen any of them in spirit form. I am glad your experience comforted you, as your story comforts me.
bbnet4 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-19)
My Puppy died 4 days ago. We were very in love.
We do EVERYTHING together.
He is 11 months old.
We dropped a piece of bone on the floor and he quickly swallow it. He died in 1 minute.
I am so sad almost I could not continue my life. After I hear this, I have a little hope now, plus some of my friends tells me that puppies goes Heaven after died.
elasingh (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
I lost my 12 year old female dog on 4thSeptember 2012.
I knew she was going to die... I shared a very special bond with her... I cry for her almost daily begging her to comeback to me. But sadly I never heard from her... No signs from her. Why Why?
pjorg (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-23)
Thankyou! So much for telling me about your pet Yabba. Even tho it was over a year ago your post is still being read, I came on here to find out why my beautiful friend of a cat for 18 years hasn't came back to see me. (Its been 1 week and 1 day sence she left me) I wish she would tell me every thing is alright. After death, Its really killing me. I can't stop crying over her, she had been in our life's for 18 long and happy years, and the day b-4 she passed she seemed very happy and we spent time together, she always sat on my lap and purred, I'm sooo thankful for that, and I'm also very angry, I no it must of been her time but I didn't want to let gooo. I visit her grave in our garden, more than once a day, and will never get over her, I just wish that she would come back and tell me every thing is ok... Will she? I thought she was happy, she only really came to mee... Even tho I have other kitties, Its Fozzie that I can't get over the pain of loosing her. Thankyou! So much again for posting stories on here of your pets, it helps but I'm still very sad:O (( ((
manson04 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-14)
Thank you for posting your story. I just my 2 dogs this past sunday october 9 2011. Diesel who was 12 and Manson who was 7. My dogs were my best friends, I am still can't believe they are gone. They got in a terrible fight with each other. And to make a horrible story short I lost both my best friends in the same day. I have been crying for days, searching for anything that will make me be able to function without them. I can't sleep without them, I can't do anything right now. The story of losing them was tragic and unexpected. The blood shed I was left with haunts me every second. I feel like I will never heal. I love them so much, I don't feel like it can ever get better. My home is empty.
ghosthunter14 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-12)
i'm and guy and this touched my heart, this story can relate to a lot of people, even me except mine was a little more messed up. I used to have a dog that used to runaway and come back, but this one time he came back in a bag, (he knows everyone in my neighborhood and he's my other dog's best friend) I was sitting in my truck with my other dog, waiting for everyone else to get ready, but this old lady came back with him in a plastic bag. My dog ran to the backyard and I was in so much shock I didn't know that he would die that day or that way. She said that she found him on the ground, so I guess that someone ran him over, and we had to take him to get him cremated. I cried the whole day then I had dreams about him for a week and a half. Your story is very touching and I hope your pain doesn't bring you down.
gothgirl (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-12)
im so sorry but I'm going to be the one that's have to say please don't forget that the mind is an amazing thing and... Well the rest you can prob. Figure out for yourself
jrthompson (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-12)
Hey I know what your going threw, my grandmother recently lost her precious Baby to cancer, and she believe Baby visits her often 😊 Thank you for the story! ❤ Loved it!
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-11)
And Fanny, thank you so much for the link to Rainbow Bridge. Reading it is a great comfort to me.
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-11)
I want to thank you for posting this story. It touched my heart so much that I had to write to you. My beloved baby girl Fibi passed away 3 weeks ago, on Sept. 20, 2011. She was 11, almost 12, and also had breast cancer; the vet told us that it is prevalent in female dogs that haven't had puppies or been "fixed" before their first heat cycle, which I've never heard of before, and to tell the truth, I'm still confused about it - how come female humans that haven't had children don't get this? Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you, I can totally identify with your loss, as I am experiencing my own. God bless you and your family, and I also believe that our pets are still in existence after they pass. I believe that if someone, anyone, whether human or animal, can bring so much happiness, love and joy to another, that spirit cannot be obliterated. I believe that my Fibi is still in existence somewhere, be it in heaven or on another plane. I believe the same with your precious Yabba, she is a beautiful girl like my Febes. I haven't seen my girl since she passed, although I did have a dream a few days after she passed in which she jumped straight onto my bed (which she could never do in life, the bed is about 3 feet off the ground), and I remarked to my husband, "Well, I guess Fibi's feeling better, did you just see her jump on the bed?" When I woke up looking for her on the bed, then remembering that she was gone I just cried. But I do believe that that dream was a sign that she is alive and well, somewhere, and that at the end of my life here we will be together again. 😊 Again, God bless you and your family, I'm very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Yabba, and I will be praying for us all to be reunited with our beloved pets when the time comes. Love, Genevieve ❤
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-11)
I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. My boyfriend's dog Harley passed away on September 11, 2011, she was at least 15. She was getting really sick and not eating anymore so we were thinking about putting her to sleep. Then on the 11th we carried her outside to do her buisness. She walked around the backyard visiting all her favourite spots. We brought her back in the house and she let out a big sigh and then passed peacfully. It was sad, but at least she went on her own terms. We then buried her under her favourite tree in the backyard.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge Poem. I have attached the link. Anyone who looses a pet knows you are really loosing a family member. I hope this brings you peace.

Best,
Fanny
Http://rainbowsbridge.com/TheRainbowBridgePoem.htm
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-11)
Thank you soooo much for (re) posting the story with the pictures Maureen, you have just made my day! 😁
I am sure you were very lucky to have her, but she certainly was very lucky to have you too ❤
TIGERKING (2 stories) (60 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-11)
i have grown up with lots of pets throughout my life and as they live they die. It's always very painful when they die, but yes, I have been visited by many of them. All the time. I also believe (I could be wrong) that they come back later as another pet that looks the same. This has happened to me randomly, without searching for one that looks the same they just come to me. They also have the same personalities and traits.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-10)
sweet,sweet post thank you so much for sharing a touching experience.
It is always nice to know that pets do pop back to let us know they are ok and still with us.
Have to say I love the picture of yabba in the hat looks like she was laughing and enjoying herself.
Again thank you for adding this
Carl
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-10)
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Pets can be like extended family, and it is so hard to lose them and even harder to let them go once we have lost them. I think the events you described was Yabba's way of telling you that she is in a better place, and that you do not have to be sad for her anymore. I think she really knew how much you love her.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-10)
Thank you Maureen,
I was so touched by your tribute to Yabba that my eyes are tearing up as I type. You've done her proud.
And yes, they do come back to visit us. Mine have, and still do. I am going to say something crazy now, but I am convinced that my current furry friends have been getting pointers from their predecessors. I don't want to elaborate too much here, but trust me, the little things are sometimes the most telling.
Thank you for sharing Yabba's beautiful tribute with us.

Jav ❤ ❤ ❤
yabba830 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-09-29)
Ilee, I have no vents in my apt. I have a baseboard heater which is about four feet away from her bed. I know its seems so strange, that's why I shared. Hoping for some oppinions and possibly explanations. The only thing I can think of is that I have heard spirits coming in the form of a mist. I'm not sure if they leave behind the wet substance of it. I remember Yabba always licking her toys and making them wet. I can still smell her stinky breath on them. I hope it doesn't go away. I'm almost embarrassed even sharing this because its so odd.
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-29)
Yabba,

Not trying to discount your experience, but just wanted to see if there could prehaps be an explanation. Do you have an air vent above the spot where her bed and toys are laying? Or even indirectly above?

Odd, I've never heard of a residue left behind from a ghost. But this is a dog we're talking about after all. Fascinating 😆 Definitely worth sharing, glad you did!
yabba830 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-09-29)
Well... It looks like I had a visitation from my beloved Yabba last night. I have pondered over whether I should share this or not. Its just so fantastic that either I'm losing it or my Yabba is seriously trying to make her presence known. I woke up this morning and made my coffee. I went into my bedroom... The place where Yabba died. I have to be honest with you all, I haven't slept in my room for a while. As I walked in the room I found her toy sitting straight up leaning on the bed. I knelt down in amazement... I said to myself that's weird! See, I left her bed and her toy in the exact spot where she used to lay at night and where she died. Well... When I picked up her toy, it was wet. Her bed was wet. I wiped my hands and checked again. I checked the surrounding area of the floor... Nothing. Dry. WET. Not soaking but damp wet as if a misty rain had fallen on it. Why was her bed and her toy wet and her toy sitting straight up. Well what ever it was, I just broke down crying because I cannot explaine it. My windows were closed last night. I always lock up the doors and windows before I go to sleep. It may or may not be something, but as of right now... I just can't explaine it. 😕
iLoveChocolates (1 stories) (4 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
Awwee. This was a very touching story that it even made me cry.
I also had a dog named Spike. He was a very bestfriend of mine but then he died just this year and I was so sad when I woke up the next morning only to find him dead. I was crying my heart out. I miss him so much but I know he is always there for me. Like you, I also had this very strong love with my dog, Spike. I would tell him my secrets and all that I wanted to let out.
Thanks so much for this very touching story! ❤
yabba830 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
Thank you all for your beautiful comments on my story of love. It just goes to show you that one thing is true..."Love knows NO BOUNDS" The power of love is the strongest power above all else and with it comes many things such as eternal ties, that even death cannot hold it back. They say..."Love always finds a way". I believe that. It found a way, in my darkest hour, to cross incredible bounderies... ❤
nightwatcher262 (10 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
i have lost pets before the three I remember most are my two dogs and my cat, the fact that a pet will stay with their human friend after the pet dies is something that comeforts me, my pets died years ago but I still miss them, thank you for sharing this with everyone here

D.H
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-27)
Thank you Yabba830 for sharing such a beautiful story.

Your story brought me to tears and I'm sure that your beloved Yabba will always be around you.

I have a Maltese mix that is only 4 months and shes the love of my life and to think one day she won't be with me brings me such sadness. But I know they wait for us to join them once is our time.

Thanks again.

Respecfully, Looney ❤
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-09-27)
This is an awesome story. Pets coming back to give a little "hi" to their former owners are always happy ghost stories. Even though I like hearing scary ones, these are nice and uplifting to see every now and then.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: