You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Haunted Mother In Law

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Mother In Law

 

In August of 2000 we were moving our family to a larger house. On the same day that we were to unload the furniture, my husband was picking his mother up at The Pensacola airport to live with us. She was a 70 year old little lady from Vietnam. The first night we were there, we started experiencing strange things in our bedroom.

One night both my husband and I woke up to scratching under our bed. Our first thought was, maybe our outdoor cat got in and was under the bed. We both got up looked under the bed and saw nothing. We looked out on the back porch, and there was our cat. So we dismissed it and went back to sleep.

The following night I woke up to what felt like a vibrating bed. I laid there with my eyes open knowing I must be imagining it. I never mentioned it to anyone because I honestly thought I would be laughed at.

A couple of nights later my husband says to me "I need to tell you something, I think I'm going nuts. I've been waking up because the bed has been vibrating". When he said that I knew it was for real.

We spent the next 6 months experiencing the vibrating bed, covers were on the floor at the foot of the bed when we would wake up, noises in the corners of our room and other things I've probably forgotten. We were both walking around with dark circles under our eyes from lack of sleep. Every night we would dread heading into our room. Our room always seemed to be really cold which is why we would wake up when the covers were pulled off. We didn't tell our girl's (they were 12 and 14) because we knew they would be freaked out since their bedrooms were clear on the other end of the house.

We asked our neighbour if anything strange had happened in our house. She said no, and she would know since she and her husband have lived in their house since it was built.

I decided one night to run my camcorder all night or as long as the tape would run to see if I could capture anything. The first couple of nights, everything looked normal. But one night as I'm preparing the camcorder to record, it kept shutting off. I had it plugged in so it wouldn't run out of juice before the tape ran out, so I knew there was power going to it. I finally got it turned on and it stayed on.

The next morning I started to watch the tape, pretty boring stuff, us sound asleep, and after about an hour or so the camera starts to focus in and out continuously. At the time I thought the recorder was malfunctioning, but now that I think about it, there might have been something it was trying to focus on. I still have that tape somewhere and I probably need to really look at it closely. At around six months my mother in law had gotten extremely thin and was home sick. She was supposed to live with us indefinitely, but we decided that at her age it would be better for her to go back to the rest of the family in Vietnam. We put her on a plane and off she went. Believe it or not, everything we had been experiencing stopped when she left. My husband believes that it was the spirit of his dead father (my mother in law was pregnant with my husband when he died in a fire) that was trying to tell us that she did not belong with us.

I almost forgot to mention that one night I was in my room watching TV with my youngest daughter, (before my mother in law left) all of a sudden she looks up and says "what? I looked at her and said what do you mean? She replied "you just tapped me on the head what do you want? I had not tapped her on the head. I finally told her what had been going on in my bedroom and asked her if she had experienced anything; she had not, so it was just concentrated in my room. She has always been a believer in the paranormal so she wasn't scared just surprised. My other daughter would have freaked out.

Other hauntings by smurf5584

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, smurf5584, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-29)
I guess she did have signs of her husband's existance. But that's all she shared? Nothing in detail? That's a shame... I would love to hear about it!
smurf5584 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
ILee- Funny you should say that. We did ask my mother in law if she had experienced anything, and she just smiled and said to my husband "I thought you didn't believe in ghosts" I thought that was pretty funny. Serves him right for being a skeptic. He's not anymore.
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
Smurf,

Fascinating story 😊. Thanks for sharing!

When your mother-in-law was living with you, have you tried asking her about her experiences? It is remarkably coincidental that the paranormal experiences only occurred while she was living with you. So it could well be your husband's father trying to tell you something. And if it is your father-in-law, he could well be giving your mother-in-law signs of his existence as well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: