You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My Childhood At Coyote Trail

Real Ghost Stories

My Childhood At Coyote Trail

 

First off I just want to say how much this site has helped me. I live with some pretty terrible memories from paranormal encounters, and this place has become my refuge.

This experience started when I was six and continued for as long as I visited my Grandmother's house. We moved in with her since my mother was so sick. My aunt and her youngest daughter were also living there. So it was a very full house. I'll give the lay out to make following my experience simpler.

The front yard had a small wood fence that surrounded the grass. At the front of this fence was the newspaper box, and this bordered the dirt road. The front porch was added on and it was made of wood and had two steps, off to each side was my Grandma's rosebushes. When you walk in the house you are greeted by a built in entry way table. It's just a mirror on top of cabinets and it has a flat area to set stuff. Off the left is the dining room and to the right, the formal living room, and the door to the master bed room. On the other side of that mirror are the other two bed rooms which face each other and then the bathroom. Off of the dining room is the family room, kitchen and laundry room. The laundry room and family room both have doors that were originally for going outside, but my Grandma had a large room added on that became not only for storage but my play room and my cousins bedroom when she got older. If you went out to the car port off to the left corner was my Grandma's veggie garden and all her fruit trees.

There was also my aunts "rock house", the clothes line and the hammock. If you turned to your right you would see the shed which held the camper trailer as well as boxes of stuff from the 1920s and up. Next to that shed was the tool/pool shed, which of course boarded the Doughboy pool and the deck that my uncle built for it and the Jacuzzi. As you continue to circle the property you see the fence that separates my Grandmas back yard from the entry yard for her dance school. Next to that is the costume shed. Now that you know the lay out I can share what happened.

From the day we moved there things felt off, but of course I never said anything because I was young, the past year had been really hard with my mom being so sick, and I was miles from the home I had known. I love the idea that there was all this room to run in, and that I would be able to have pets of my own.

I remember my first night there, it was very unsettling. The "hallway" felt long, like I could run as fast as I was able to my Grandmas room but would never make it. I never liked that hall way, and could never walk down it at night, I always ran.

The yard was always quiet, and not in a good way. It was void of sound, if a car passed on the dirt road, you could be physically looking at it, but you could not hear it. If you stood on the other side of the road, you could hear every sound that car made. When we moved there my grandma wanted to teach me how to grow stuff so we planted the veggies and trees together. The trees never grew, but they didn't die either. They just kind of stayed in limbo; the veggies on the other gave us a full harvest.

They did great until it was time to pick the corn; I remember this day vividly. My grandma and I went out and filled these large baskets; since it was hot we felt it would be best to shuck them inside. So we get inside sit down at the kitchen table and get to work. I started first, because my grandma had to go take her meds; I popped open the corn and a ton of ants spilled out on me. I am highly allergic to ants so when this happened I screamed. My mom and grandma came running and when they saw what had upset me they helped clean me off and made sure I wasn't bitten. After I calmed down I came back to help.

I was a bit nervous but my grandma assured me none of the ones she opened had anything in them. So I had my confidence back and popped open another one. The same thing happened, a ton of ants spilled on me. This prompted my grandma to take over, none of the other stalks in my basket did that to her. That was the last of the veggies we ever got from that garden everything just died. She was able to still grow tomatoes in the back yard up next to the house.

That was the first weird thing, and it was the trigger for everything else. After that I couldn't bring myself to look in any mirrors, especially the one in the entry way. It always felt like something was watching me from the other side. We had a cat, which followed me everywhere. She used to get up at 5am with me on Saturdays. I used the stool to reach the toaster and she always sat under it.

One morning she ran towards the hall and fluffed up as if an intruder was standing there. I watched as she leapt at whatever was there and fought it. I was too scared to look but I heard a thud like the front door closing and then our blind dog began to bark. She came strolling back in, mewed at me and lay under the stool again. She went missing about a month later, somehow she got outside, which was weird because she never went out where the dogs were.

Right before my mom and I moved out I had my first experience of seeing a physical entity. When they built the shed attach to my grandmas studio there was a hole they could never get to stay filled in. Our dogs always avoided it like the plague, and only our blind dog would sniff at it. I was playing fetch with our bullmastiff when my eyes caught this shape of something watching me from under that hole. It was not an animal, or anything I had ever seen. The closest thing I can compare it to is Gollum. I threw the ball right at the hole hoping my dog would see whatever it was and scare it away. She saw where the ball landed and went and found another. I looked away from the hole for a second and when I looked back it was gone. I went to go investigate and as I stepped off the porch I felt this cold feeling on my ankle almost like a touch. My dog was at my side and yanked me to the ground. After that day I always jumped the second step.

After that it was always just unsettling to be there, nothing else physical happened, not that I remember any way. A reoccurring dream that started at that house still continues to this day, that's what made me want to share my time in this place. I don't doubt this land has history, while they were laying pipes for a neighbor's house they found a Skelton with poker chips in his mouth. This area is right off of old 395, which use to be the main road from Los Angles to Vegas.

I hope this was easy to follow, it happened so many years ago, so trying to retell it gets hard for me. Simply because I'm trying to remember so much, if anything needs clearing up please feel free to ask.

Other hauntings by believer21

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, believer21, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

believer21 (3 stories) (56 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-01)
Geeth: yes in 08, I was lucky enough to have herr support durning my more agressive experences. I'm actully going to submit another story soon.
And don't worry, it was what I suspected too.
Scorp: James is a wonderful name, my 6month old shares it. 😁
I'm sure the ants can be explained, I just find it weird it was only two ears. Only reason I mentioned it.
Moon: well then they did a great job fooling a whole investigative team. If it was a plant, it was still murder, at the very least improper disposal.
And the trees are still the same as the day they were planted, as if they were frozen in time. Its been over ten years... Besides they were fruit trees and should have taken about a year to five to produce. My grandma has a green thumb and can grow anything.
Also has far as I know that area doesn't have bagders, but I know what a badger looks like, and that wasn't it.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-01)
[at] Moongrim,
The area she's talking about is the high desert. I have been to this area myself. There should be no problem with trees taking off at all. Besides, I also live in the high desert. I've never had a problem getting trees to grow. Actually, it's the volunteers that I have a problem with, they just keep coming up.
Oh, and Badgers? Seriously Moony, if it were a badger in that hole, there would be no dogs left.

Jav
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-30)
I would imagine that that skeleton was planted by some mafia men with a sense of humour for the one they 'offed'.
Trees usually take a while to set down roots before they'll do any serious growing. Along 395, the dry conditions, it would've taken the better part of a decade before the trees took- if at all.
Yeah I've had Murphy days like that, what with ants and all.
As to the hole, Badgers don't much care for having their holes filled in.
Scorp2011 (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-30)
Believer21--
Altogether an impressive list of paranormal events. The 2 ears of corn you chose may have come from the same infested stalk, of course, but still, another story (9-19: "Ants in the Bed") featured these insects, and I'm curious if there's any lore about them.
Glad to hear you're finding some release and relief from this site. Many of us have few others to delve into our experiences with. As some of us like to say, Embrace the Light.
~ James
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-09-29)
The way you wrote in one of your posts, I take it that your mother has passed. My condolences are with you. But the way you wrote your story, I think you spent a great time with your mother and that's all it counts. Just know that she will always be with you.

I'm also sorry about your cat. My theory is that the thing you saw must have grabbed your cat. (sorry, if that disturbs you). That was my first thought when I finished reading your story.

I understand what you and Javelina are talking about. My friend's husband's uncle used to own a cottage near the Algonquin Park, here in Canada and we all would go there every summer before he ended up selling it for some reason told to us by his wife after he passed away. Although, the cottage itself was really nice and we had fun, I could never fully settled down or relaxed. You know how you get that damp feeling in wooded areas after you get heavy rain? It felt like that constantly; especially so to the cottage. Now that my friends and I are older and we have our own busy lives to deal with so times like I wouldn't miss it for the world and I end up going but I wouldn't go out there on my own.
believer21 (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-29)
Jav: your braver then I. I'm pretty sure I know where that vineyard is, I remember making a joke about it.
I know how your sister in law feels.

Miac: she's also so non-judgementel when she is analyzing a subject. That's hard to do in writing.
I never took Minnie going missing as a coincidence, she hated being out side, unless I carried her out and then she would lay on the porch or by the pool with me. I had gone out once for a swim and she saw I wasn't in the house and wanted to be with me. My mom tried to carry her out but she yowled, stratced and bit. So I know no one but me could get her out without a fight.
It didn't appear to be wearing anything. It was very boney and what seemed to be stringy hair. After watching LotR and seeing Smegle, I finally had something to compare what I saw too.

Dusty: I know what you mean, some stories on here give me chills. I think cause they actully happened and arnt made up fiction.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-29)
believer21,
Oh man, do I know what you mean! My oldest sisters in-laws have a ranch up there. She won't go up there anymore at all. Besides the fact that it was another "dumping ground", she says she's seen things up there that she won't talk about even now. Did you know they make a wine? I saw some at a store here in AZ and had to try it. It wasn't bad... For prison wine! 😆 I grew up mostly in Big Bear, but spent a lot of time down in the desert. Of course, it was much more desolate back then. And that quietness will get to you.
I do miss the bonfires though.

Jav 😊
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-09-29)
Wow, reading about that gollum thing looking at you from inside that hole gave me the creeps lol. That almost never happens just from reading these stories. I wonder wtf it was. If I saw I either would have screamed and ran or tried to talk to it. I would like say the latter, but most likely I would have ran.

And sorry about your cat. That sucks, especially when you have to wonder: did someone or something let it out on purpose?

Any, cool story. I think I'm going to put it in my favorites also, just for the gollum part.
believer21 (3 stories) (56 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-09-29)
Thank you Jav. I have to say I was very happy to see you commented on this. You are one of my favorites. ❤
I have always been the type to go and investigate the strange noise, or the shadow in the other room. I have no fear of what I cannot explain. Now a days I usually have a sharp or blunt object in my hands. Haha
Also I'm so glad you understand the noise thing, I've tried explaining it to others and they just look at me like I'm crazy. The whole high desert as a whole is very eerie. I never noticed it before, but now that I live two hours south I do; the second you get into Glen Helen the atmosphere changes. It becomes very heavy. If you ever feel like getting some new experiences I know of all the best spots. 😉
Thank you for your sympathy. I'm glad I was able to make her last years comfortable and fun. She has stayed with me, and that brings me the greatest comfort.

Stormangel: I guess it was an old mafia warning. To be honest I wouldn't have believe it either if I hadn't seen the body and the chips my self. I was actually at his house checking out his motorcycles. He was a semi-famous motocross rider. The guy supervising the backhoe started yelling and everyone ran over. They called the corner, and the rest was confirmed after an investigation. I saw that story on this urban myth show, I laughed cause it wasn't a myth. Haha
stormangel (3 stories) (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
A skeleton with pokerchips in its mouth? There was a mummified corpse being taken on its travels by a circus who didn't realise it was a real corpse, that had poker chips found in its mouth. It was told as an urban myth but apparently it's true! Thought I would mention it for the similiarity-weird. Thanks for posting 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
believer21,
First, this is going straight to my favorites. I understand how you feel about that land too. I'm pretty sure I could even guess where it is and be close if not exact in my guess. Any time I've had to take the old 395 it has always given me the creeps. I don't know what it is about that route, even when you get further north, towards the mountains, it is just spooky feeling. The high desert has a lonely quiet feel that I normally enjoy, especially at night. But there are places that you just know don't want you there. I'm getting creeped out thinking about it.
When you talked about not hearing a car pass by on your side of he road, I almost felt I was there with you. But the thing you saw coming up from the hole is what has me freaked out the most. I can't believe you tried to walk over there! Good thing your dog knew better, huh? Always trust the animals.
Which brings me to your cat. I'm sorry you lost her like that, it's too much of a coincidence, in my opinion. One of my worst fears is to look in the mirror and see something that shouldn't be there. And to have it right at the front of that hallway your cat had attacked something in? Yikes!
Growing up the way you have, taking care of your mom for all those years, has made you who you are today. My heart goes out to you for all you've been through. And if I could wish it all away, I would.
Thank you for sharing your experience here, it has touched me so. ❤

Jav 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: