You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Something On The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

Something On The Stairs

 

I'm pretty sure this was my first experience with the paranormal; at the very least, I can't recall anything similar occurring earlier than this.

The year was nineteen sixty-eight, and we were living in an apartment on Washington Avenue, right at Nineteenth Street. It was a two story house divided into front, middle, and rear apartments-my mother, my two brothers and I occupied the middle unit.

I had a cat, a gray and white Angora female I'd named, for some reason, Tiger; go figure the twelve year-old mind. Tiger was my constant companion when I was home, sitting on my lap, and sleeping at the head of my bed with me.

This particular spring night, Tiger and I had sat up until one am, watching the late show. The late, late show flick didn't interest me, so I switched off the set, turned on the light at the top of the stairs, and started to bed. Tiger, as was her custom, darted ahead of me, and started up the stairs.

She got to the fourth step up, and stopped, her gaze fixed at the top of the stairs. Me, I'm looking, and seeing nothing at all. Tiger walked back down the stairs, and stood there at my feet looking up at me. I scratched her on the top of her head, tickled her under the chin, and told her, "Go on, silly", or some such.

She started up again, and once more froze on the fourth step, turning around and coming back down. There's nothing to be seen on the staircase or the landing, the 75-watt bulb in the overhead fixture erasing the shadows.

I'm tired, but a wee bit creeped, too-she's never done this before. I picked Tiger up, and lightly tossed her up the stairs...

She landed about halfway up, and immediately went into scared-kitty mode, tail bushed out, fur standing up all over, staring at the top landing, making a yowling noise I hope to never hear again. With a hiss, she wheels around, dives down the stairs, and dashes under the sofa, refusing to come out.

Needless to say, I slept on the sofa that night... The next night, everything was normal, and it never happened again.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
When we lived there, I never had any problem with any part of the house, except for the west end of the basement; it always had that cold / creepy feeling that many haunted places have. The cold seemed to come from the inside, and was only in that one room.
At the time, I didn't even think in terms of the supernatural with this, just that it was odd.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
And once again an unexplained event takes place in a stairway. I wonder what it is about hallways & stairways?
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
It is difficult to know what incidents like this mean. Clearly the animal is reacting to something that we can't see, but it is impossible to know just what it was.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
Animals are well known for sensing what we humans cannot. It's possible that she sensed a presence she wasn't comfortable with. It's not to say that it was evil, but simply foreign. It's strange, my cat did something similar when she was about to go into our bedroom. She stopped at the door and looked in, then her tail puffed up and she ran back to the window, her 'comfort' spot. My fiance and I slept in our room still and nothing happened, but I still wonder what freaked her out. Give us updates if anything happens, but don't be worried. 😊
SugarySweetGirl (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
Creepy... And poor kitty! 😆 I wonder what it was? Did you have any bad feelings, or did you notice any temp changes?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: