You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Grandmother's Dog

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandmother's Dog

 

My grandmother found a puppy, on the side of her street, about 13 years ago. She brought the poor thing into her home and loved, and took care of her. She named her Baby. We never knew what breed of dog she was, but none of us cared. She was the cutest thing. But about 2 years ago she was found to have cancer in her stomich and it spread beyond what the Vets could do about it, and it would be best to euthanize her, to stop her suffering. Afterwards I could tell my Grandmother was heart broken. So I decided to stay a couple of nights with her.

As I was sleeping on the couch I heard what sounded like something hard walking around in the hallways. It sounded just like what Baby's claws sounded like on the wooden floors. I told my Aunt Kathy (who lived with Mamma at the time) and she told me that she heard it too and both of us think its Baby checking up on us. I think it was too, because when I heard it I didn't feel afraid, just suprised. I didn't think animal spirits could come back like people spirits do. This didn't happen just once. It happened everytime I stayed at her house. Not once did I feel afraid. Mamma said she never heard it, but belieives it to be possible.

But my Grandmother said that the house has always had a little something going on like creaks and sounds. But she belives it to be true because Baby loved eveyone. She was a sweet dog and I dedicate this story about her life and her death to her. I loved her so much, I cried for weeks. But with the help of her and my family, I have finally accepted that she is probably in heaven or where ever we go. Because the last time (two weeks ago) that I stayed with my Mamma's house I didn't hear any little noises, and neither did anyone else. So if it was Baby we heard, she seems to be satisfied that we are okay and she can move on.

I thank you for reading my story. I hope it warms your heart and that you believe it to. I will be typing another story soon so look out for it!

Other hauntings by jrthompson

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jrthompson, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

flea20010 (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-05)
My dog died a long time ago almost a year ago. But I still cry about her. When I cry I can feel What feels like fur on my arms.
I'm so glad they can come back! 😁
jrthompson (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
Again, thank you all for your comments, I just recently submitted another story and I'm nervous to see if it gets published. It'll be my 3rd story on this site. So look out for it. ❤ 😊
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
thank you for sharing this story! It actually has made me realize personally that when visiting my husband's parents' house that sometimes I hear his dog's nails clicking on the kitchen floor. She died 3 years ago this holiday season. It makes me feel like I'm not crazy for thinking that it's her... I still look up to say hello too, it's that real! Also his mom will feel like she is in her usual sleeping spot or thinks she hears her on the hard floor too. I never would have thought of it as much had I not read this!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
thank you sharing such a sweet story.
Pets can and do come back to let the family know that they are ok, and will stay around too some times.
It sounds like baby wanted to make sure you all had time to get used to the idea that she had passed and was ok until she went to where ever it is we finaly go.
Loved this thanks again
Carl
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Animals' spirts do come back to visit their loved ones too 😁
Loved your story jrthompson, I like every sweet story I hear/read but when it comes to pets visiting their "family" my eyes always fill with tears. That's lovely ❤
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
RIP Baby! I have a pet too, and I would be devastated if I lost him! I know how it is to love for an animal, and I'm so sorry for your loss! Baby is in a better place now! God bless you!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
I'm sorry for your loss. It was probably Baby coming back for a visit. I would also like to give thanks to your grandmother for taking in a stray; not everyone has the heart to take one in. Bless her heart. Loved the story. Going to favourites!
jrthompson (3 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Thank you for the comments, I'm happy everyone liked the story so far. 😳 😁 ❤
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Very nice story. Ugh Generalchaos... I received a sympathy card from my Humane Society when I had to put down my cat and they printed out and included that Rainbow Bridge poem. Talk about making a person cry more! 😭 I can't even think about it, I'll cry here at work.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Very, very nice story... I am sorry to hear about your grandma's dog passing. She sounds like a wonderful little soul.
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Thank you for sharing your story - it's very sweet.

There's a short bit of prose called "The Rainbow Bridge" that you might like (it's a bit of a tear-jerker).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: