You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Men In The Trench Coats

Real Ghost Stories

The Men In The Trench Coats

 

It was a peaceful Sunday at my grandad's old farmhouse (our family home for over 200 years) located in the boglands that had mostly been covered in forests of birch and pine trees. 2 swans swam quietly across the deep lake in our boglands, which could be seen from the old farmhouse. The only sound was the continuous hooting of the pigeons and tweeting of the sparrows. And in the yard the big garage lay quiet and left no banging, grinding, welding, or life.

We were on the leather couch by the big old open hearth. Eating takeaway diners as my grandmother was gone visiting her sister up the country. While eating I looked up at the security camera over the turned off tv and saw 2 men in trench coats coming down the lane " there's customers outside I'll go see who it is " I said as my grandfather ran a mechanical business.

" Where?" he said. I said " they just past the camera."

I went out and saw no-one and checked around the garage, the farmhouse and field and sheds. Noone. I was nervous by now and I went back in and explained nobody was there. My grandfather told me to check again. I went back out but couldn't find anyone. Grandad got his rifle and made me mind the farmhouse while he searched the boglands. I was frightened by now and still checked the yard confused. Grandad came back after an hour of searching the land with nothing and said I was imagining but I argued with him for 2 hours. Eventually he swore me to shut up and never talk of it again. I knew something was suspicious.

Just 2 years later he finally admitted to me that my 2 great grand uncles were hitmen for the fenian brotherhood and during the Irish land wars assassinating English police and landlords. But still swears my secrecy of what I saw.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jmc123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Coh123 (guest)
+1
4 years ago (2020-05-02)
The working Irish republican brotherhood were hitmen. They assasinated RIC police
Bastet (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-08-30)
I really enjoyed your story -
BTW - have you considering writing? I must say the way you tell the story is much better that most of Irish fiction now! I'm serious)
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-12)
Ditto with lady-glow. I would have asked to see the replay of the camera footage. I immediately thought of the "Men in Black" but I know this is not a similar case. Good story!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-07)
Forgive my ignorance about technology but, if you saw the two men through the security camera, - why didn't you check the footage instead of arguing with your grandfather? Aren't security cameras supposed to be equipped with some sort of memory?
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-06)
Greetings, Coh123, and welcome to YGS.

You're really good at setting up the atmosphere for your story, here!

I can understand your grandfather's desire to keep a family secret, but --as the phenomenal Dara O'Briain pointed out-- that's in the past, now. What's the worst thing that could happen? You've discovered you're descended from a family of patriots. That's neither a reason to be ashamed nor to fear retaliation.

I'm curious as to how your great grand uncles *became* hitmen for the fenian brotherhood (which is off-topic) and how they came to be a pair of ghosts haunting the lane to the family farm. Were they betrayed and ambushed during a mission? Were they pursued by the British military after a successful hit? What led to their haunting the lane, and not necessarily the house?

If I'm being nosey, I apologize, but I do think that your grandfather could give you a bit more family history to pass on to future generations.

Best,
Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: