You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mary Had A Little Lamb

Real Ghost Stories

Mary Had A Little Lamb

 

My name is Breanna, I'm 15 and I've had encounters before, but not like this. This happened while I was staying at my grandmother's house back in April 2nd 2011.

While I was staying there, I idly wandered through her house admiring the old original paintings and statues but especially the antique 1920's piano. It had a plaque on it, written was 'for my darling Elenore'. My grandma has always been claiming there was something in the house, but I've never believed her.

One night, it was about 11:50PM I was walking past the sitting room with the piano and the bedroom at the end of the hall. As I lay down, I heard noises coming from the sitting room, like creaks or groans, but I ignored it because I thought it was just the house because it's quite old. I drifted in and out of sleep but awoke to hear a loud creak of footsteps coming from the sitting room. At this point it was 2:30AM and I sat up it my bed, the whole house fell silent. Thinking it was nothing, I lay back down but as soon as my head hit the pillow, I heard a distinct sound. The piano. It started off with just random notes, and then moved into the nursery rhyme 'Mary had a little lamb'. I was freaking out, too shocked to move. But it wasn't over. As the lullaby started to draw to an end all the keys of the lower notes on the piano echoed through the house just as the several clocks in my grandmother's house struck 3 o'clock. The racket was so loud I hid under my bedding. The piano stopped with its loud crash of notes. The house fell silent again. I was so scared I couldn't sleep, but my grandma seemed unaware of this happening.

The next morning I asked her if she heard the "once sweet song then its horrible ending?" She said "oh, you mean elenores mother..." She then pulled out pages of handwritten statements from the 1920's. Dated April 3rd 1921, Elenore Debovouir age 4 was murdered in her own home. Father is suspected of murder, abusive towards daughter, main suspect. I continued reading and found out that the Elenore was murdered in the same sitting room the piano was in. At around 2:30AM on April 3rd. Also diary entries from her mother state that the father was very abusive towards her and Elenore and also she says "I'm overjoyed about this fine piano. It is a joy for my dear Elenore. I shall play for her every night until she learns."

I want to know why this happens every year at the same time, same date, same piano, same room. Is she still attached to the piano or doesn't want to leave? Or is it because she misses her mother?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Breeeee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

BattleScars (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-11)
Sorry about the timestamp, I do too live in Brisbane! Have you looked up the history of the house - You can maybe find out the name of who owned the house.

Is there a registration number on the piano, if so, you can try go to an place that sells them and see if they sold the piano to anyone named E...

Good story!

BattleScars
Breeeee (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
Thanks for that geetha! It really helped:)

I know right! Brisbane is lovely!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
That's a cool account... I would be scared to, if I experienced what you did.

My thoughts:

I think the child is attached to the room and the mother is attached to the piano. My reasoning is because the child was murder in that room, she is stuck there. As for her mother, she is struck there because her child is still there. I came to this conclusion because the piano played the "Mary had a lamb" tune then you heard the out of tune bangs. My niece doesn't that sometimes, you know like banging on all the keys on the piano? So the mother was probably playing the tune and the child came banged on the keys.

My suggestion:
Either you or your grandmother have a religious leader bless the house according to your faith or have a medium (or someone who can speak to the dead) come and see if they can cross over the ghosts.

By the way, I was in Brisbane in August with my family for my cousin's wedding. It's such nice place.
Ghostyjosey (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
I really enjoyed this story, it gave me the chills but not in a scary kind of way.

I would have been so scared if I was in your position! Thanks for sharing, it was great to read 😁
Breeeee (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
I'll try and grab some photos for you next time I go to my gandmas house:)

Woah freaky!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
very interesting post thanks for adding this breeee
At first I thought its just a residual haunt connected to the piano that is until your comment saying that your gran has seen the little girl and heard the mother.
It is sad to think the little girl passed so young but at least she has her mother with her in the house.
Thanks again
Carl
scarygirl101 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
i ike the story but it scared me a little because I have a piano in my sitting room and it was 2:30 when I read this. 😨
UntilDark (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
I really liked this story, it's very fascinating.

I have a little request, can you please take some pictures of the diary and share them with us? I would love to see this diary, and the handwriting, as I'm a graphologist.

Thanks for sharing this amazing story, I'm adding it to my favorites. 😊

PS

I really loved your choice of the title! It's so ominous-sounding. 😉
brownie262001 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
i think I know why it happens every year because the little girl might of died on that day by the way I am new here
Breeeee (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
Yeah sorry, I selected the wrong one by accident 😕

But I'm glad you enjoyed it! 😁
Vikstal (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
Hmm...interesting. That spirits would be aware of time. It seems like ghosts indeed are intelligent beings.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
I enjoyed this story. Although I am a bit confused as to your stance in the comment section. I'm guessing that you chose the "I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion" choice by mistake when you submitted the story? Either way, it's a great account... What is it about nursery rhymes that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck?

--Mountaineer
Breeeee (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
For cosmosgal926:

After asking my grandma so so many questions I got answers to yours!
My grandmother has seen a small child running down the main staircase and she's heard Childs laughter and screaming.
She hasn't seen the mother but she believes she's heard her and I think I might've too! It's like a beautiful humming sound like the mother humming a lullaby

Glad you enjoyed it ❤ 😁
Breeeee (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Hi guys!

I'm glad to hear so many of you guys got chills like I did from this!
I'm from Brisbane for whoever wanted to know.

Also, yes others have heard this including a real estate manager and several friends of my grandmothers.
My grandmother at the moment is looking into whether or not Elenore and her family is related to us. So I'll update you as soon as possible:)
X
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
I also forgot to check if the author was willing to participate in the discussion. Since she is not I will go on the info given in the story. Since there is no mention of these people being related to the owner of the piano, I find it extremely unlikely the owner would have all the documentation listed, especially the diary. And with such a dramatic story behind it I was already suspicious. I think that this story is probably a work of fiction. And Mary Had a Little Lamb is usually considered a nursery rhyme not a lullaby.
pinkparrot6202 (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Hi Breeeee,

I really love your story I'm looking forward to read more 😆 😭 😭
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Oops! Forgot to add, do you know if anyone not related to you has heard the music?
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Were these people, Elanor & her parents, related to you? Are they your ancestors?
MuFox (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Woah! Thank you for giving me goosebumps!
Thank you for sharing this story.:)
Well for me, she's tied with the piano. It must mean something to her. All you can do is offer her prayers.
Hades666 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
I liked your story. What part of Australia do you live in? Just curious to know.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
Rough guess, if Elenore's father was like mine- he probably had INSISTED upon her learning the piano- long before she was ready to.

And he probably didn't take no for an answer, nor was he willing to accept anything less than perfection...

So, Elenore is probably tied to the piano by a child's sense of devotion and loyalty to her father. And, because of her anger and frustration- continues to end her recital in defiance of a proper way of performing.

I recommend that you find a psychic who can 'talk' with the child, and have her let go of her obsession.

The most drastic course of action? Destroy the piano. As in burning, outside of course. No piano to be tied to- a release from bondage for the poor bairn.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
Hi Breeeee, Thank you for sharing this very interesting story with us. It sounds like a residual or recurring haunting. The event that ended poor Elenor's life was so violent and tragic that she repeats it every year. I think it's amazing that her mother left her diary behind and that your grandmother kept it all these years. Was Elenor's spirit always in the house, or was it just around the time of year her death took place? Has your grandmother ever seen the little girl, or her mother? Great story! Going in my fav's 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: