You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandmother Had Come Back During The Shaman Ritual?

Real Ghost Stories

Grandmother Had Come Back During The Shaman Ritual?

 

It is nearly thanksgiving the time I write this, but by the time this story is published I bet it is going to be the holiday season, so... Feliz Ano Novo! (Happy New Year)

Considering that I was experiencing too many paranormal activities (or not) this year, my relatives from my grandmother's side whom were the Tapirapé Indians and believed in shamanism, and told me to visit them during a weekend.

They brought me to a Shaman Village which is a place where the Shaman from the past is buried and prayed for safety during the cleansing ritual later that I will be experiencing. We walked to a log house where they believe the family of the powerful shaman once lived and waited for the shaman whom will be performing my cleansing ritual later on.

Just a little information about my family background as you can read from my profile my father is born in a Põuđaŕ Family (tribal background people), and is raised by my grandmother. He did not like my grandmother's beliefs and always think that they are too old for a modern man like him, and so he left the family when he was 19 years old to work in a harbor in Rio de Janeiro with my far away uncle (a relative of my Nipo-Brasileiro grandfather). That's why I am not part of the tribe like my grandmother is, but I do have their blood. My grandmother passed away when I was 17 years old, 15 years ago.

We waited for the shaman for more than 30 minutes. We found that it was the same man whom had brought us to the village; he later explains that he had to be prepared and needed to "clean" himself first before performing the ritual. As you read on you might find out why.

He stacked up a pile of tobacco and start filling his pipe. He put on a colorful mask which I thought was just a wall decoration and started chanting. As he light his tobacco, he started to dance and puffed the smoke on me, as he danced I was puffed and smoked, I started to cough and told them that I felt uncomfortable.

The shaman told me to relax and continued puffing the smoke on me, my eyes started to tear (of course) then the shaman told me that bad things are coming out (really?). He starting to touch me with the feathers on the mask and explains that he is "cleaning" off the bad things on my body.

When the dancing and puffing finished, the shaman invited all the relatives in, some of them shared a herbal drink they called kawi and offered me some as well, it was white and strange tasted, like drinking a smoothie made out of raw peanuts and yams (very "soily, leafy" flavored). Não é ruim (not bad).

That was not the end of the ritual the shaman started to chant and dance again and suddenly stopped his motion as if someone had pressed a pause button.

"Roy meu querido" (Roy, my dear) said the shaman in a strange high pitched raspy voice.

"mim?" (me?) I replied. Suddenly I realize the the shaman did not speak Portuguese and I knew in that moment it was someone else and not the shaman himself.

"avó?" (grandma?) I answered again. The shaman smiled and continued to dance and lighted his tobacco again. The ritual ended late at night, after that moment the shaman did not act strange anymore but danced and puffed the smoke of the tobacco.

Sorry it took too long to explain what I had experienced; it was strange because no one else other than my grandmother would speak Portuguese in the Family. Oh yes, they spoke English since they were educated to speak in English and their tribal language which I am not familiar at all, but not Portuguese.

Well, I feel a lot better now, but I was thinking for days because there was too little communication involved. Strange but it could be awkward too to say that the shaman was just acting, because he had never met my grandmother.

Could my grandmother really had come back during the ritual?

Boa benção!

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, roylynx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

freakedoutfreddy (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-22)
[at] Cuitiepiexox
Dude, people's the same everywhere. Idn if you watch 90 days fiance. There's this hot Brazilian chick but she's a ***ch. 😁 😁 😁
CutiePieXOX (5 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-22)
You are from Brazil? What is it like there? What are the people like there?
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-20)
Hi Thureos!
Sorry my reply was late, just got things happening and was busy.

About your question it's a shame I do not really know about the tribe since I do not live near them. But according to my relatives the region where my grandmother grew up practices their ritual differently, and just very recently I have experienced a different ritual performed by a different shaman in that region. I do not think there is any anthropologist working with them; according to my relatives the elders of the tribe now-a-day are very against outsiders, they even rejected reporters and journalists.

I am trying my best to learn about them but since I am considered an outsider too for them, they will reject me to contact or ask anything about them. Now only some of my relatives from my grandmother's side will contact me and talk a little about them but still they are from the more "modernized" group and have lost lots of their traditional thinking.

The last time I visited my grandmother's birthplace, I did make some friends there but they had not contacted me since then. For even if I have their blood the tradition still remains a mystery for me. Of course we might have lots of information already in museums and universities, but those really will not help a lot, perhaps you can ask you professor about Tapirapé traditions, he will know more than I do. Cheers!

E.Lynx
Thureos (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-02)
Hello again, my friend.
Mere curiosity: Weren't the drink named caium, instead? It is a typical mandioca-made drink from certain indigenous people from Brazil, or so it was what my professor in indian ethnology told me.
Now, about the tribe, could you tell me a bit more about it? I'm curious about its practices, and the region town where you went. Also, do you know if some anthropologist work with them? It would be interesting to learn about their practices.
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
PriyankaMenon; To explain they are just witch doctors, in some other culture a shaman is like a saint, they are believed to perform lots of miracles. If you are interested you can have a look on the internet! Cheers!

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx
PriyankaMenon (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
Hi nice one, but I want to know one thing what is shaman exactly? Are they witch or some kind of astrologer?
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
Ashar123; This story came out too sudden that I nearly fell of my chair lol
Yes, my relatives say the same thing too. I think I better not think too much.

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-26)
Well Happy New Year to you too 😆. At least in advance.

I think the thought that your grandmother came to meet you gives peace and comfort in its own way and 'certain' things should be left unanswered because there is peace in believing what simply the situations in front of us express.

Nice story! Going to my favs!

Thanks for Sharing! 😊
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-26)
Wow is it already New Year or am I alittle too early to consider? Lol

Sweetsunshine1800; Thanks! I was told that the shaman that I met this time was very powerful, so yes, maybe it was avó, but what was she trying to tell me? To cleanse every year since that is what I need?

Thanks again!

Tweed; Happy New Year lol
Your comment made my eyes tear abit.
Yes, perhaps so. I remember now that everytime when I feel sad my grandmother will come to meand say something like "my dear roy" and huged me, I miss her warm hug...

Temilicious; Yes, somehow most shaman rituals are very "smokey" lol
I think you won't have to be afraid of it because it was once your be loved one it just came back to say a hello if you every experience such. Cheers!

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-25)
Aah, see this is why I love this site. Our rituals here in South Africa are so similar, it's exciting. Although, I've (personally) never experienced a spirit using someone as a vessel; The shaman or "nyanga" (moon/healer) as we call them
Only acted as an intermediate of some sorts. I'm used to a lot but I would probably freak out if I were to hear my mom's voice coming from another person, let alone a man.

Your gran is with you through these paranormal experiences... How comforting.

Blessings.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-25)
Hi Roylynx,

With all the strange events you've been experiencing lately, it's possible your grandmother wanted to let you know she's there for you. If you feel this was her coming through the shaman, then perhaps 'Roy, my dear' was all that needed to be said. Maybe the shaman sensed this and that's why he smiled and returned to normal.
I hope that made sense. 😊

Oh, and happy new year to you too! 😆
sweetsunshine1800 (4 stories) (85 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-25)
Hello Roylynx,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I personally believe your grandma visited you through the shaman. Maybe she wanted to convey some message and so she did through him 😊

Have a good day!

Best wishes and,
Regards,
Sweetsunshine1800

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: