You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: The Blue Orb

Real Ghost Stories

The Blue Orb

 

I haven't shared this experience yet. Not quite sure why, I just haven't thought about it that much, even though it's a little strange and makes you wonder.

Last year, I went with my dad and sister to Wilmington, North Carolina. I had never been there before, and I was excited to go. Wilmington is known for having a dark history, with a lot of murders and stuff from the olden days. Yes, I got excited about that. Only one reason, that means ghosts will be hangin' around.

Well, of course I would go on a ghost tour. I just couldn't resist. I got my dad to agree, and I didn't even have to ask my sister on what she wanted to do. She's a brave little 8 year old. So, we set off on an adventure. The tour guide (who was really good at telling stories, loved him) began his story-telling. We walked on a little bit, and then we came upon an eerie looking graveyard that was next to a church. We were walking past the fence, and it was then that I noticed a blue circle hovering in front of one of the church windows.

I squinted, thinking that it was a light coming from inside of the church. I was confused, because I instantly began to wonder why in the world a completely dark church would have a blue light in one of its windows. Now, at first I didn't think it had to deal with the paranormal. Not at all. I was just trying to figure out why the blue light was there.

Aware that I was missing some of the tale the tour guide was telling, I began to listen. The story went somewhere along the lines of this:

A man (I believe his name was Sam) in Wilmington during the 1800s one cold, dark night had fallen from his horse. He had been riding away from his fiance, because they had gotten into a fight. He took his horse out, trying to cool off. His horse was running really fast, and all of a sudden he hit a thick branch from the trees above with his head. (forgot to mention, this was a little outside of Wilmington, not in the city, but you'll understand the connection to the graveyard in a second) He fell off the horse, and fell into the icy snow.

A search party was sent out for him that night, but he wasn't found until the next day. When they found him, he was proclaimed dead. They found him face down in the snow with a big gash on his forehead. They buried him in the graveyard next to the church, not knowing that the Sam was still alive, and in a coma.

Sam had a friend named Alexander. Alexander was in bed that night, (the same day they had buried him) when he awoke to Sam standing at the foot of his bed. Alexander, scared for his life, stood up and asked Sam what he wanted. Sam told him to go dig him up. Alexander was confused, but did what Sam told him.

He went out to the graveyard, and walked up to Sam's fresh grave. He took a shovel, and began digging. He dug and he dug, until he finally hit the coffin. He opened the lid, and found Sam, face down. He rolled his body over, only to see Sam's finger nails stuck in the wood of the coffin. The poor man had tried to claw himself out, because he had still been alive. He had awakened from his coma, only to find he was enclosed in darkness. Sam wanted people to know that he had still been alive, and he sought out his friend to help.

The tour guide finished the story by saying that a while back, a paranormal investigation team came into the graveyard. They caught blue orbs, or "bugs" as they called them all over the tapes. When he said this, I got chills up my spine. It was then that I realized earlier, I had seen a dark blue orb hovering near the church window.

When I got home from my trip to Wilmington, I looked up the meanings of colored orbs. A website popped up. I looked for the color I had seen, and looked under dark blue. It named these three meanings, shielding, shyness, and survivor instinct. I froze over my laptop, with my mouth open. This was because it made sense. Sam had been buried alive, and he had had the instinct to survive.

To this day, I still get chills when I either tell or think about this experience. Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, youdontknowme88, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-20)
Welcome back Aia! It's about time kiddo. Been missing you around here for too long.

Jav:)
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
cosmogal: Ik, it's so sad that they didn't have technology back then. So many lives could have lasted longer. 😨 And yes, I've heard of that too! With the bell things. Sadly, Sam didn't have that. I've also heard that sometimes those bells would go off, even though they knew for sure the person was dead, which would give me major goosebumps! Thanks for commenting!

Nyrican11: Me either! Thanks for commenting.

Taz: Haha awesome, that you've heard it before. 😊

AF1 ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
aia another interesting post thanks for sharing.
I have personally heard that story before somewhere but never had names added to it just a friend getting the spirit vist then having the "body" dug up only to find marks on the coffin lid. Scary thought though!
[at] cosmogal even though some plans for "safty coffins" were paitented with that in mind, a bell or flag that the person "waking up" could use to signal someone above ground there is acctualy no known evidence of them being used. Patentants taken out in usa and here in the uk as early as the 19th centuary all the way up to 1955. Sorry
Carl
Nyrican11 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
Wow! I would be frozen too if I had seen it prior to really knowing the story, only to find out what it actually meant. That was very deep, and sad to hear that he tried to survive but was unable to do so. I can't even begin to imagine being stuck in a coffin either and not able to get out at all. I enjoyed this story very much, thank you for sharing your experience!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
Wow this story gave me goosebumps! Poor Sam, that has got to be the worst thing to happen to a person. It freaks me out to think how many people that really happened to years ago. With so little technology if they didn't feel a pulse they were presumed dead, when they were not. Then to be faced with the horror of waking up in a coffin buried 6ft under. I remember reading about how they used to bury people with a string tied to their finger and a bell on the outside of the grave so if they were still alive the watchman would hear the bell and dig them up. Great experience aia, thanks for sharing it with us. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: