You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Possible Doppelganger?

Real Ghost Stories

Possible Doppelganger?

 

This happened a few years ago, I'd say about 5 years, I am now 18. This isn't my first paranormal encounter, but this is the one that stuck with me the most.

My whole family was getting ready because we were going out. I was ready, and I was looking for my dad to ask him something, although I don't remember what it was. I walked in the house, and from the front door you can see down the hallway. In the hallway, we had a dresser with a mirror, and I see my dad combing his hair in front of the mirror. So I start walking towards him, to ask him whatever it was I was going to ask, when he walks away. He turns and goes into his room. I just follow him, and when I turn the corner into his room, but he wasn't there. My parent's room wasn't that big, so I could see the whole room from where I stood, and it didn't have a bathroom, so he couldn't have been in there. I simply turn around and leave. I walk into the living room and ask my mum where my dad was. She says he's probably outside, and when I go outside I see he's in the car, going through his collection of CD's while he waits for us. There's no way he could have passed me and gone outside, because there were only three doors that you can get out of the house through, and none of them are down the hallway.

For some reason, I never thought much about it, I didn't think about what had happened for a few years. I've always been interested in the paranormal, but as I grew older I began to read more about it. I read ghost stories all the time online and in books. One day I came upon a story talking about a doppelganger, and I didn't know what that was, so I looked it up online. I found a story about a lady, I don't remember much of the story, but it was about a lady that had been seen around this building at different locations at the same time. As if there were two of her. But she was alive, and not a ghost. As I researched more about doppelgangers, I learned that when you see a person's doppelganger, it's pretty much a death omen. Five years have passed, and my dad is well and in pieces. I just want to know what that was all about; I don't know what to think.

Other hauntings by ceciline

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ceciline, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostsScareChad (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Very interesting. I recently found out what a doppelganger is but witnessed them mostly concerning my now deceased father. Although now that I've read these comments I'm pretty sure I was seeing the residual image of my father. Very quickly I lived in a split entry house and the basement housed my fireplace and computer. I would frequently walk past my father perched in front of the fireplace with a fire blazing only to hear him come from the garage with firewood to start the fire a couple minutes later. I was younger and thought my mind was playing tricks on me.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
interestion post thanks for sharing.
Have to agree with zzsgranny does not sound like a doppleganger more of a living residual or even just a "recording" in time that played at that exact moment possibly as you were looking for your dad and expected to see him.
Carl
Miami_girl_medium (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
Oh thank goodness, I though I was the only person to have this happen to them. Sometimes I see my grandpa (and hes still alive) walking around or talking- and hes not home. Also my father, (who is alive also) talking or walking into a room. Or sometimes ill have my sister, father, mother, etc, knock on the door to the bathroom while I'm in there, and find out they didn't knock. And this knocking expireince has happened numerous times- and I know its not a prank since one time it was my sister, and when I came out to ask her why she was knocking and calling my name, and she was asleep. So I have this happen ALOT. Mabye its spirits imatating them, since I have had it happen with every member of my family, excpet my two uncles and their wives. I will be trying to post stories soon!
Lexi 😁
SugarySweetGirl (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
I agree with Moongrim. I didn't even know you could see someone else's doppleganger.
loca_mocha (4 stories) (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
Huh. That is kind of freaky. Did you ask your dad where he was at the time he was when you saw the doppelganger? Perhaps he was close by and that is why you saw his double. In truth I never knew what a doppelganger was until today! When ever I saw my cats double I thought it was a figment of my imagination but now I'm reading all these other stories and I'm starting to wonder if there is more to my house than I thought. ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
ceciline: Interesting account, Granny has summed it up rather well, I'm thinking because you mentioned he always combed his hair in front of the mirror it is hitting on the living residual side of things, like inbuilt energy with the particular area, dresser and mirror perhaps. Going more in depth you could look at dimensional shifts like you witnessed another time period etc.

A Doppelganger would no doubt be differant as it probably would have looked at you and maybe even spoke something. As granny mentioned they can't seem to get the exact appearance right, something in particular is almost always amiss. Remember these are just theories I'm in no way saying they are correct but I come to these conclusions by the frequency of the occurences and peoples explanations of the events.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
Actually if you see your OWN doppelganger, it's a bad omen. Seeing someone else's isn't so much.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelganger
ceciline (5 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
zzsgranny: My dad always combed his hair in front of the mirror, it was like a pattern, in the mornings, or before going out. Could that be it? Why would a spirit want to mimic someone living, though?
Jeffosirius: yeah, I'm so sure that I was walking to him to ask him a Q. And no, I never told my family, just a few close friends. But like I said, he walked straight into his room, and I did too, right after him, there's no way he could've gotten out.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
ceciline: This sounds like something a few of us on the site refer to as a "living residual"...Residual hauntings occur for any number of reasons; emotionally charged moments, tragic events, or just repetitive actions (like someone getting a midnight snack)...There are some posters who've experienced these living residuals, and hopefully they'll respond...

Dopplegangers are spirits/entities that mimic the living, almost identical, but they never get the image of the person they're imitating completely exact, whether it be hair style or color, eye color, voice, etc...

In my opinion, the instance of living residual happens much more frequently than a true dopplegagner...
jeffosirius (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
are you sure it was your dad?
If so then the only explanation I can guess is a bit out there, 1. Glimpse into parallel dimension 2.house holding memory of event, and replaying it, this is common after a tragic event but nothing tragic happened so I'm puzzled.
Anyway did you tell your dad and ask him was he in the room.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: