You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Do I Experience Things Because Of My Ancestors?

Real Ghost Stories

Do I Experience Things Because Of My Ancestors?

 

If you haven't read it yet, my previous story tells of my currents paranormal experiences. I have read on here that many people's experiences or abilities run in their families, or have some sort of family tie. My running question is this: could my ancestors be influencing my current situation or is it just a coincidence?

I recently remembered a story my mother told me about how my great-grandmother's great-great-great-grandmother was telekinetic. Her favourite prank was inviting people over, having them sit in her living room with her, and using her mind to rock the rocking chair in the corner. She thought it was hilarious, and so did her long-time friends. New peers, however, were highly fearful of her until they got to know her better (if they gave her that chance). The way my grandmother describes her, this woman and I would have gotten along swimmingly. I wish I could have met her.

In addition, my grandfather was what people called a "water witch". He found several wells for people in the area by using two metal coat-hangers, and sometimes just using sticks. However, it made him very uncomfortable, and he rarely talked about it. He died 20-some-odd years ago from skin cancer.

Last, but not least, I had a distant grandmother who was full-blooded Cherokee. Her name was Morning Glory, and there are times I think she talks to me. I don't hear it with my ears, but rather like a second conscious. It was so odd when I first learned of her. I looked at our tattered and stained family tree and amidst the barely legible scribbles and water-splotches was her name. It wasn't written any different than the others' names, but it stood out to me as though it were bolded. Ever since then, whenever I am in trouble or I have a nightmare, a slight calming sensation runs through me and I think of her name, no matter what is happening. Due to the fact that I'm not certain if it is Morning Glory or not, I never talk directly to her, I never credit her with the feeling of peace, and I do not fully trust the second conscious. Nevertheless, I do say thanks to the feeling of peace in general, and I do not fear this second conscious. When this conscious acts, I get the same feeling I get when I'm in the middle of hugging my mother or my grandmother; just peace, love, and warmth. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to find out more about her, and I have no idea what to think of the second conscious I have--for some crazy reason--associated with her.

All of these relatives are on my mother's side. My grandmother, my mother and her sisters are all slightly sensitive (they sometimes have dreams that come true, they have had rare ghost experiences, etc.), but they never have experienced what I have, and they largely discredit my stories. This is why I wonder if it is just a coincidence, rather than jumping to the conclusion that it is definitely because of my ancestors that I experience what I experience.

I am open to any and all thoughts. If I can trace the source, maybe I can deal/adjust with what is happening to me more effectively.

Other hauntings by Watchful

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Watchful, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
Personally smudge every house I move into, put salt in all corners and place brick dust at my door way (entrance to my house) it's a mix of cultures but each one has always brought me peace since I have moved away from home and away from bad spirits I had in that home (hopefully my story will publish soon! Lol) But just little things like that, I would also take what Rook said to do in high regard, I have been on this site for years and just finally decided to sign up but I have read a lot of things he has helped people with, he's a really wise and kind person 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
Watchful,

Your heritage could play a large roll in your ability to 'see/sense' things. As far as Cleansing and Protection, it can be done in small ways such as Smudging with Sage, Bathing/Showering with a Rosemary Scented Soap, Saying a Prayer asking your Ancestors for Protection or even some 'odd' sugestions like 'cold iron' work for some people... (Horseshoes over doors to keep out negitive energies/entities out) You have to find what works for you.

One method I use for my Home and Family is this...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

As far as Morning Glory is concerned... Keep a Journal... See if your experiences with her 'add up' to anything and if so try an EVP session with a voice recorder and see what happens.

Please keep us updated and thanks for sharing this with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Watchful (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
By the way bluefoxx01, goofing around on this site is going to get you some bad karma, and not just the -38pts the people on the site gave you. 😉
Watchful (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
bluefoxx01: As I stated at the VERY beginning, this submission is in direct correlation with my PREVIOUS submission. I felt it was too much to write and explain in a comment, so I did this instead. Think of it as a forgotten bit that should have been at the end of my previous bit.

Mannerizms: Lol. Any suggestions of little protective stuff?

Locrian: It does make sense. I'm glad for your comment.

Does anyone think I should try talking to Morning Glory, or should I leave it be until I find out more about her?
Locrian (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
Hello Watchful...
I am also of Cherokee ancestory and it wasn't until recently that I also came to the very same conclusion. When I think back to all of the paranormal experiances I have had (All the way back to childhood). It makes sense; so the answer to your question is yes. I am conviced that not only those of us with a Native American backround can sense spirits; it is also possible we may also attract them to us.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-27)
Thank you watchful (my nickname and I tend to make up my own words every now and again) A mix of both is what gives you the spice of life!;) Also, just keep in mind if you really want you can protect yourself with little things to try to keep the negativity out as well, (it's a mix of religions but all of them always help with me:) )

This comment from bluefoxx01 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Watchful (2 stories) (17 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-26)
Mannerizmz: It's been a mix of both, really. (Love your name, by the way.)

Geetha50: "The gift is like the blood line between families." Thanks for this. I'm really going to try to keep this in mind.

Moongrim and princessLotus: Thanks for your comments, but please play nice with each other. 😉
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-25)
In the spirit of your 'generosity' I extend to you the very same thing:

Http://users.tpg.com.au/horsts/baloney.html

Your humility is most inspiring to me oh Self Proclaimed Christian. May I suggest you work up a bit more on that whole 'Golden Rule', thingy that your religious namesake liked to espouse?

It may be difficult at first, but over time, and with perseverance, you'll find that it can move mountains.

Which your Jesus never accomplished.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-25)
Moongrim- I found something I think you may find useful:

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar

Watchful- These gifts are hereditary & sometimes they aren't. They can skip generations at times & sometimes they just hit someone who has no family history of it. A blessing at times & a curse it feels like at other times. I wish you the best! Bless you & yours.

~LSD~
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-25)
It can run in a family, or sometimes it can just crop up out of nowhere.

After all, it had to start somewhere doesn't it?
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-25)
I experience the same thing. My grandmother (before she passed away), my mother, my sister, and myself experience the paranormal though dreams and when we are either relaxed or when we are in the state between awake and sleep. The worst part is the sensations you feel before and afterwards.

The gift is like the blood line between families; it is passed along though a life time and we wouldn't of it until we experience it for ourselves.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-24)
I do believe it can run in the family, it runs on my mother's side as well. I think it is a gift however for my mom a huge burden she only taps into when asked or it is direly needed.

Has everything that has happened to you been positive or negative? 😳

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: