You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Met My Husband Because Of A Bet. Or Did I?

Real Ghost Stories

I Met My Husband Because Of A Bet. Or Did I?

 

This is not your ordinary ghost story. Nor is it a ordinary love story. It's a bit of both.

In the fall of '82 I was working in a machine shop at minimum wage making drill bits. My brothers' friend had been laid off so he made a bet with me. I had to type up and mail out 25 resumes by a certain date and he had to have a job by the same date, the loser had to buy the winner a steak dinner. Well, it was a tie so neither of us had to buy the other dinner.

I was a little disappointed because I got two letters saying they were sorry but my services were not needed. Then one day my mother called my job at quitting time and she told me to get home asap to call a prestigious hospital. I got home just in time to call and set up an interview. I got the job but it was a split shift working 11A.M. To 7 P.M. When the shift changed, I saw the man I knew I would spend the rest of my life with, which kind of surprised me because he wasn't the type of guy I typically went out with. He had a girlfriend who broke his heart by breaking up with him right before the holidays the next year.

We were set up by co-workers, or so they thought. As we started dating too many coincidences came up. I forgot to tell you I'm a day older than him. My grandfather was a tile setter and during a conversation with him, I told my grandfather that my boyfriend was a volunteer fireman. My grandfather said that he tiled the truck room at his firehouse. I doubted him until he told me that the tile color was yellow, which was still there! My husband had an Uncle Joe and a grandfather who both died in the late 1970s'. Everyone in his family said that Uncle Joe would have loved me and we would have driven the family crazy with our stunts and jokes. Some even said Uncle Joe made sure we got together.

I was raised on the south shore of Long Island, my husband the north. But if I was staying at my grandparents' my grandfather would take me to places my husband went to all the time.

My husband's uncle was a plumber and bus driver for my husband's school district, my grandfather did a lot of tile work in the town my husband grew up in so they probably knew each other.

Like I said some people in my husband's family said Uncle Joe made sure we got together. My husband's last surviving uncle once said that Joe wouldn't like either of his daughter in-laws (nobody did) so he HAD to have to find me for his favorite nephew.

Other hauntings by RedWolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RedWolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ghostexpert101 (14 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-13)
It came up clown because o April fools. And when they typed clown it came up purple flowers I was on this sister sight when I figured it out
I was confused maybe too confused 0.0
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-13)
At Cornflakes you didn't write clown in your reply. You did say story.
At savsavvy I will try your technique, I have never met him but I was
told that he looked exactly like Jackie Gleason 😆.
Everybody thank you for your kind comments.
One more thing why does every Italian family have a Joe in it?
😆
Regards
RedWolf
CornFlakes (1 stories) (18 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-01)
[at] Miracles51031- LOL I just realized that it's 1 April today! No wonder why my ice-cream tub is salted and nobody is around.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-01)
CornFlakes - it's okay, you really did type what you thought you did (at least I think you did LOL). After today is over all will be back to normal, well as normal as it gets around here 😉

Happy April Fool's Day 😆
CornFlakes (1 stories) (18 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-01)
Oh dear God I'm so sorry! Didn't mean to say clown, I said 'story'. It's a sweet story!
CornFlakes (1 stories) (18 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-01)
Really sweet story. It just amazes me how good souls from other side of the world try to help their loved ones. Cheers!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-31)
redwolf, I like this story because you talk of what was meant to be. You and your husband were destined. Love it! ❤ 😊
savsavvy1023 (1 stories) (42 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-30)
This is a very sweet story! I would try to talk to Uncle Joe if I were you. When I want to talk to my Aunt Cynde who passed away in 2005 I would think about her right before I fell asleep and I would usually dream about her. Try it with Uncle Joe.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: