You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Barn Haunt

Real Ghost Stories

The Barn Haunt

 

My grandmother owns 2 beautiful acres of land in Delaware. On the land she has a barn. The barn is relatively new (2004) and we have had many unexplained activity happen there. One day while I was out in the barn feeding the cat, I felt someone try to push me on the ground, I immediately exited the barn and ran for the house. A few months later my grandmother was out in the barn and she thought she saw a black creature (dog like) run across the field into the small patch of trees adjacent to her property. In those patch of trees is an old outhouse and well, my grandmother explored back there when she first moved in and told us never to go out there.

One night while I was outside playing with the dogs, there was the black shadow that moved along the other side of the fence. It couldn't have been the horses because they were away in the barn, locked in for the night. I was freaked out, I went back inside and told my grandmother, that's when she told me about more of her experiences (besides the dog one, which she blew off as maybe a neighbors animal got loose). 3 months before she was feeding the horses when the tractor started up by itself. Then a few weeks later she heard knocking and scratching on her windows at 3 AM, and the dogs went crazy. She told me that one time she saw a red/black figure walk into the barn through the big leaver door and then vanish (she saw this from her porch).

About a year ago was the most recent of my experiences, I was in the RV (about 20 yards from the barn) when all of sudden I heard a loud scream come from the barn, I ran for the barn, and the door slam shut behind me and in writing on the wall it said "Vos es non exspectata hic." I was frozen, to this day I have no idea what it said (I guess it was latin) but ever since then, neither I nor my grandmother have had any other experiences in her barn.

My question is: What was that thing and what did it want? Was the well some sort of portal? I am still blown away by this all.

Other hauntings by Virginia4Life

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Delaware

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Virginia4Life, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

BojanTheGoTFan84 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-10-03)
I copied the words and pasted it through Google Translator, and it is indeed in Latin, translated to English it means 'You are not expected here.' What if the dog-shape is a spirit of a possible farmhand who could have perhaps died a violent death on the farm terrain, or maybe your grandmother isn't the first owner, so the previous owner might be trying to chase her away (if that is the case here) so to stop 'messing up' (in that spirit's opinion) with their former farm?
vanlewie232711 (1 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-08)
i googled it and it says "you are not welcome here" strange to say the least well I am not sure blessing this place will be enough I do think that having a priest come out and do a cleansing/blessing will be of better help to you and your family... Best of luck
Virginia4Life (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-28)
moongrim I think it was in what looked like paint. It could have been anything, all I knew was to get out of there fast.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
How? How was it written on the wall?

Glowing letters 3 feet high?

In still dripping/fresh blood?

Inquiring minds who've not been to collage (sic) for some time would like to know!
Virginia4Life (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
I remembered the Latin phrase on the wall because I did write it down, but I never translated it because I never had time. And today I barely still have time. One thing though was my grandmother had told the neighbors about what was going on. And they may have told their kids. I called my grandmother a few hours ago to tell me about her tractor (mechanics). Its an old tractor (like the ones you see mowing lawns), but it works fine and never had a history of automatically turning on.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
I was fine with most of this experience. That is, until you brought in the Latin writing.
Sorry, I'm not falling for it.

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
First the translation... (I used my Son who took Latin in Collage)...

Vos es non exspectata hic. (Equals) You are not Welcome this.

So whomever wrote this has poor grammar, even in Latin.

The Idea that this is the spirit of a crotchety old Farmer makes me want to ask... When was the last time a Farmer in America spoke a DEAD language... Much less write cryptic messages on barn walls in it?

A prank by the neighbors kids...possible...but the same question applies... Why use a DEAD Language?

Unless of course the LATIN is to give credence to the possibility that the "red/black figure walk into the barn through the big leaver door and then vanish " is actually a 'demon'...

Did your Grandmother go and check the barn to see if someone wearing black and red had entered her barn? Did this figure walk through the 'closed door' or did it enter the barn using the door and no one was there when your Grandmother went to check?

Small black dog like creatures... In an area where people own 2 acre lots (and bigger is my guess)...Critters are a 'dime a dozen' when you get into areas that have open fields around them so there is a good chance this was a natural critter.

The black shadow on the other side of the fence... Ok so your horses were locked up... Could it have been someone elseS? Maybe it was a deer?

I also like the 'outhouse/well' and the whole 3am thing. Nice combination of 'location and timing'.

There is not enough information To really get a handle on just what may be happening... Most of the events seem to have a 'natural explanation' that 'covers' what may have been happening. One however is concerning...

The Tractor starting on it's own (while harder to explain there are a couple of things)...Is it a gas or diesel Tractor? Key or 'push button' start? Small riding lawnmower tractor or Large 'plow the fields' type Tractor? Had it been recently 'shut off' or had it been running just before being pulled into the barn and turned off? If a large Tractor does it have a remote 'start' like some cars do? (It's a thought...😲)

I enjoyed the 'fact' that your last experience was as you said "About a year ago was the most recent of my experiences..." yet you remember the Latin that was written on the barn wall but you never researched what it meant before submitting your story.

So...if there are more details... Please share them with us... If this is all go back and look closely at these (and other events) Create a journal and write down each experience... Then create a list that lists all the 'real world' things that it may have been and then another list of all the 'paranormal' things it may have been... I think you will find that the 'natural events' outweigh the the 'paranormal' ones.

Respectfully,

Rook

PS: Get that tractor inspected... If it was a 'hot cylinder' or an electrical issue someone may get hurt.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
I guess you can get all different kinds of translations for this, can't you? Because I came up with a different translation and it was two different languages. Hmmm...

The translation I got was "You are not" in Galician and "welcome" in Latin. 😉

Who got something else?
coda854 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
"You are not welcome here" in Latin I used google translate. I couldn't find any history on this location, be more specific and maybe I could find it. It's probably a spirit of a farmer who lost the barn when he died with the animals he had. He was probably very crotchety. Like an old man jenkins. If you ever go in there, be VERY careful.

SIGNATURE~~:P
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
I think the translation of those words is: "you are welcome here", as opposed to "vos es non exspectata hic", "you are NOT welcome here"...That's the closest thing I could find... I don't know, I'm not a Latin major, minor, or otherwise 😆
Virginia4Life (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
Many of those things could be explainable. We never tried to debunk them. Whatever happened hasn't happened in over year, so I don't think about it much. Although the one definite thing was the barn had a VERY uncomfortable feeling. The writing on the walls could have been written by the neighbors kids who are play a lot of pranks on my grandmother.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
Calling Rook! Where are you with your BS blankie? We need you! 😐
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
bluefoxx - that was the first thing I did when I read it 😉. Now, I realize the google translator might be off a word or two, but seriously? C'mon.
bluefoxx01 (81 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
Yes I think it is some kind of portal into the land of B***s**t. The translation "Unknown enemy, leave this place at once! You are not welcome here!" and the coincidental 3 am wake-up call from some demonic presence scratching and knocking on the window. Bah Humbug give me a break and come up with something a bit more original than that.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
Virginia4Life - it never occurred to you to use an online translator to try and figure out what the writing on the barn wall said?

I read your other story and you mentioned 3:00 am in it a couple of times too. It may be just a coincidence, but 3:00 am is just the next number between 2:59 am and 3:01 am. Nothing more, nothing less.

Are there any trees around your grandmother's house that would explain the knocking and scratching sounds? Or loose gutters or downspouts? Even shingles or shutters can make those sounds if the wind is right.

And dogs bark at everything, even each other😉. I have 2 and there are nights I'm willing to give them to the first person who'd take them. You mentioned a barn, field, trees, etc. That means there are wild animals, ie raccoons, skunks, foxes, even stray cats or dogs.

I know it's easy to want to assume it's a ghost, demon, etc., but there are actually normal things that can cause these sounds and the dogs barking.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: