You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Territorial Ghost And Bad Vibes

Real Ghost Stories

Territorial Ghost And Bad Vibes

 

This experience occurred between March 2010 and March 2011, in Fort Worth, TX. My husband (boyfriend at the time) and I were looking for a place close to campus where I worked and he attended classes. He was going through a rough time in graduate school (Physician Assistant program) because he was having a hard time getting his blood sugar under control (he's a type I diabetic). I believe this set the stage for what happened in this house we moved into.

It was a nice, middle class neighborhood, circa 1950's. The owner was working in Oklahoma and needed a boarder to take over the rent while she was away. She was renting an apartment in addition to still paying on her house, so the financial burden was too much. She had previously had a friend staying there, but that only lasted a month; the friend bolted without paying the agreed amount and no evidence she intended to. The situation, though not perfect, seemed to meet our needs as far as relative proximity to the campus and rental payments ($450.00/mo). Even though my husband's personality and her's did not seem to fit well, we didn't think she'd have the inclination to drive back to Texas often enough to pester us. We were wrong.

Right after we had moved my husband into the house he needed to go home to San Antonio and take care of a few things and was gone for about three days. I stayed at the house to help him unpack and set up his kitchen (since I'd be the one cooking!) and bathroom. I was alone but I didn't really feel anything but the pressure to be extra careful since the owner's belongings were still all over the house.

The first day of being alone in the house, I arrived home from work, and saw a black mist move from the owner's bedroom at the left of the entrance hallway, to the right which led into the kitchen. My immediate reasoning was that a car had cast a shadow on the back wall since there was still some daylight left, but I couldn't dismiss another impression that it was the spirit of an older female, very attached to the owner-possibly her deceased mother (no, the owner never said anything about that to me or my husband at the time). It felt very protective of the house. So I walked in, took a deep breath, and confronted the presence. I told it that we weren't going to damage the house; that we were responsible people and that we weren't going to go anywhere. I also told it to stay in the bedroom it came from and not to bother me.

That night as I was unpacking pots and pans, I stopped to relax and make some dinner. The security alarm was on the wall of the kitchen that had a door going out into the garage. The red light was on, but it never went off, so I didn't pay any attention to it. Then the alarm started alarming as if someone or something was tripping it. I went over to it and followed the instructions on the box to mute it. It kept going off. After a while I sent my husband a text to find out how to reset the alarm. I came to find out that the alarm wasn't really activated. It was at one time, but the owner didn't want to pay for it and so she just had a box that looked like it was activated and made the sound whenever someone passed the motion detector in the living room. But I wasn't in the living room or anywhere near it. The reset code she had given him didn't work, either. It just continued to alarm about every ten minutes. Finally, it just quit on its own when I retired for the night. I slept with the lights on. I wasn't comfortable in that house.

As I would sit in the living room in the evenings I was alone, I kept getting impressions. I knew there was a lot of sorrow experienced in that house. I also knew that the owner's negative attitude had attracted things that liked the environment and wanted to stay, even though she wasn't actually there. One of her friends called me to ask if I was doing ok and I told her I wasn't comfortable there. She told me that the house had a lot of memories, but that was it. She didn't expound. I thought she might have referred to the pain that went on in the house.

When my husband came home the activity really increased, especially if he said something negative about the owner while in the house. We would hear footsteps in the kitchen at night, things moving around in the living room, pictures constantly fell off the walls, the water faucet in the owner's bathroom (not in the master bedroom but right outside of it) turned on full blast on more than one occasion, and we had cabinet doors slam shut, as well as pounding on the foot of our bed on some nights (not shaking-actual strikes). My husband wasn't a believer in ghosts, but it was hard to deny something paranormal was happening.

The first time the owner came home for the weekend, I brought up that there was a ghost in the house. I described to her that it felt like the spirit of an elderly woman and that she was very attached to the owner. The owner then said that she was aware of it. She'd had investigators come and try to communicate with it, and they too said the most powerful energy was coming from the owner's bedroom. The owner's grandmother, who actually raised the owner, had died in that room.

During the time that we stayed there, the relationship between my husband and the owner became more and more negative and finally he was released from the contract when she lost her job and had to move home. It wasn't a surprise that she'd lost her job; she was manipulative and insecure, and she thought everyone had to hop-to when she said to do something. Her own children hated her, according to her long-time neighbors. My husband and I fought so much during this time, it almost destroyed our relationship.

Just a word to the wise, if your gut tells you that you shouldn't enter a situation, even if it inconveniences you, listen to it. We had a bad feeling about the owner before we ever moved him in, but because it was hard to find somewhere else in a short period of time we overrode the feeling and lived to regret it. After we left the house nothing else has bothered us. I believe that my husband's tribulation at the time and the energy at work in the house combined to create the manifestations we saw. Since he's gotten his glucose under control and reduced his stress levels, we haven't had any more problems.

Other hauntings by VSangel0309

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VSangel0309, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-07)
Elle0309: Great account, the feeling you described sounded very unnerving. The negativity in the home was obviously imbedding itself on to you and your husband in the end I am glad you were able to get out of the contract.😊
I like and agree with your final comments on gut feelings of situations, this is very true I myself really on this and it has never let me down. All the best to you.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan

(Granny that bloody insane, I'm glad you had the police officer there, scumbags like that locked up for ever! Glad you got out of there my friend!😊)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
I love having an officer of the law as a neighbor. I was so happy when our friend moved in across the street. I have to say, it does give you a little more piece of mind just having them there. As proven in your case, it's a very good thing he was around. The fact that he felt the same way about that freak is validation of the gut feeling, in my opinion.
Always go with your gut.

Jav

~~You should have been awarded a medal for NOT jumping that guy!~~ 😊
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
Gosh, that is so creepy! I admit that your story definitely gave me chills. It's a good thing you had your ex-cop neighbor. Wish there were more people like that in this world.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
Elle: Being in a negative environment will take a toll on you... Glad you're both out of there and on the road to recovery 😊...I know you said that the occurrances have stopped, but we have a poster who has a house cleansing recipe that could only do you good even if no ghosties are there 😆...If anything, it will lighten the atmosphere in your current home...

Now back to Mr. Peeping Tom: Luckily, there was a retired Metro Detective who lived katty-corner from us who was suspicious of this guy... He sat up every night for months (yes Jave, about 4 1/2 months!) trying to catch this guy, but every time he called the police, they just missed him... He wasn't active every night, until he learned that we were moving, then he stepped it up to every freaking night...So, our neighbor kept the cops advised of his "normal hours of operation"...The officer who arrested him told us that he'd take a ride by our house on his bike, turn around and go into his house and change into a black t-shirt, then sneak onto our property, leaving his bike laying in the driveway... When they caught him, he was just picking his bike up, and was getting ready to leave...

Talk about freaked out... I was so pissed... I never, ever took a liking to this guy, and neither did my daughter... He always creeped us out, but my husband didn't understand it 😆...Honestly, I couldn't be in the same room with him... The next morning while we were loading the U-Haul, he had pulled in his driveway at about 7am; he sat in his truck the entire time we were loading LOL!...He was afraid to get out... I think I might have been very tempted to take his eyes out had he been brave enough to leave the safety of his vehicle...

The moral of this story is: There IS more to fear from the living than the dead...

Sorry for going so far off topic!...I think we just all need to learn to trust our instincts better, or at least recognise the gut feelings when they occur...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
Excuse me Elle for interjecting here, but having just read granny's post, I couldn't help myself.
[at] zzgranny,
Holy Crapoly! I know the first thing that came to your mind was "how long?". My question is, how long was it before you finally got a good night's sleep after moving away? The thought of having someone get that close makes my hair stand on end!

Jav 😲
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
Wow, Zzsgranny, it is a good thing that the police were patrolling that night! I'm glad he was caught before something bad happened to your daughter.

Staying in those kinds of places where we feel something isn't right takes a toll on you. It's always when you are stuck because of finances or something else equally pressing that you can't get out, and it is always a downhill spiral.

My health suffered during that year. I developed some strange inflammatory condition (I thought it was lupus setting in-I'm in my mid-thirties) that has relented some, but is still going on. It was just stressful. More often than not I was angry instead of scared, but not sleeping well was what really did it to me.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
Elle: I've had to move quite a few times...I've turned away from some very nice places because they didn't "feel" right 😆...But, I've also had to move quickly because of circumstances... I didn't like the landlady; and the house, though very nice and in a nice neighborhood, didn't give me that "homey" vibe... The biggest reason I didn't like was because the kids' bedrooms were at the front of the house and I was always uncomfortable with that...

We only signed a 6 month lease, and a few days before we were set to leave, we got a knock on the door at about midnight... It was a police officer informing us that the man directly beside us had been caught peeking in my 13 year old daughter's bedroom window!...Needless to say, we were packed and gone the next day, having left a note on the kitchen counter for the landlady 😆
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
Great story, Elle0309! Thanks very much for sharing this with us.
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Javelina,

Sorry I misspelled your name; I was typing fast:).
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Javalina,

Thank you so much for your kind comment! I learned about six years ago that these things feed off of negativity and fear, which others have mentioned here, as well. It is so important to be aware of the energy we put out as well as that we allow in. It is a law of physics, really- they teach us in organic chemistry that like attracts like. I've been amazed since I started applying this to my life how true it is. There are a few people in my life that I've had to watch, sadly, going around in the same circles, even when I say, "don't be so negative!" But in all fairness, it is difficult to swim against the current of habit and change. It's a process and it is a decision.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Elle0309,
Thank you for sharing this experience. While being interesting, it was also instructive. You seemed to have things under control (as much as anyone could in your situation) from the very start. It is refreshing to read your work, I love the take charge attitude you displayed the moment you were confronted with the reality of what you two had signed up for. No nonsense, no deals. And though the activity did pick up once your husband returned, you didn't run screaming into the night. I feel you have much to teach in this regard, if you are so inclined.
This one goes to my favorites list.

Jav ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: