You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Collection Of Events During My Childhood

Real Ghost Stories

A Collection Of Events During My Childhood

 

So here are a collection of real experiences from what I can remember during my childhood.

I grew up in a farmhouse in a small village called Leppington in North Yorkshire, England. Formerly a large detached house split into two separate semi detached houses, basically meaning we had neighbours very close by. At the time of these early events my age was between 4 and 8 and my brothers Dom and Seb were both a lot older than me and some of these things happened to them and I gathered information by asking them both about what happened. At the time my parents were together so we lived with them both.

The earliest event I can remember is from when I was about 3 or 4, I had my own little room at the furthest corner of the house, up the stairs and right round the corner to the right next to the bathroom, down a little corridor. Every night my mum would put me into bed, turn a little soothing music on and leave the room. However I would find it very hard to sleep, I remembered seeing a black shape move viciously across the room near my bed, then the music player would be violently chucked across the room, causing me to flee every single night to my parents bedroom door and I would be found in the morning curled up on the carpet. My mum decided enough was enough and investigated one night what had happened, she never heard or realised about the music player before and that very night she was in there the same thing happened. She immediately ran for my dad and I was moved right to the other end of the house and was put with my brothers in their room. My former room became empty and was now known as 'the spare room'.

Very little happened for a few years, we heard knocks and bangs from various parts of the house but put it down to rowdy neighbours and the fact the house was about 100 or more years old. So now I was about 6 at the time this happened in late 1999, we had a French student come and stay with us at our house, he was very friendly (hard to understand for me) but friendly none the less. The first few days went without a hitch, he slept in the spare room near the neighbours wall. By day 5 he began to get ill, he had a fever and was bed bound, he then reported that he had been having nightmares about a black figure with dark red eyes chasing him every night he'd stayed with us and he cried and cried to go home. My parents took him to a French speaking lady in the next town who took him in for a couple of days. I was deeply scared of this room now and thought something rather sinister was in there, which had been disturbed by us and was moving between the two houses although the neighbours never reported anything (that may be an untold story I'm yet to hear about but I dare not ask).

My parents split when I had just turned 7 in the year 2000, we moved to where I'm living now, leaving my dad in our old house (still living there may I add) and making us stay with him every Friday night through to Saturday. At first my eldest brother Seb was with us, between 2000 to 2004 still in the same bedroom but nothing major happened that first few years and he moved to York and stopped coming with me and Dom to see our dad.

So, it was just down to me and my brother Dom, it was between the years 2004 to 2008 we would hear various bumps and knocks and be generally wary about the 'spare' room at the other end of the house near the bathroom. This made having baths and brushing teeth and using the toilet at night very uncomfortable indeed. Also I always felt as if something or someone was watching me on the stairs or while I brushed my teeth but I never saw anything. Neither did he, although he told me a story of why that spare room may be 'haunted', he said that an old man was locked in there about 100 or so years ago because he was mentally ill and they didn't understand so they left him in there to rot. This scared me even more and I became very paranoid of staying too long in certain parts of that house on my own.

To add insult to injury we would stay up until 2am scaring ourselves to death watching a programme called 'A haunting' which re-enacted hauntings reported from the USA and it was a damn scary programme. One night in July 2009 it was about 1:30am, an episode of that programme had finished and my brother was on his own at the house and reported this to me, he then heard a very loud THUMP! And footsteps leaving our bedroom upstairs (the sitting room with the TV was directly below), this was very creepy to hear indeed. After that nothing major happened for a while and my mum told us of a little girl she knows about that also died in our part of the big house so it could have been her energy, who knows?.

It was now March 2010, I turned 17 and was given the option to stop staying at my dads house, I decided to stay alternate weekends and so did my brother to make it fair on my dad, after all we are his kids and he needed to see us. We both retired to our bedroom early at about 11pm after a long day and I fell asleep, my bed was right at the far wall near the door which was open at the time. I woke at about 1:45am to my dads bedroom door opening and clear loud footsteps into the bathroom which is next to his room, no bathroom door noise or no light cord was heard being pulled on. I shrugged it off as my dad going to the toilet, but I never fell back asleep and I expected to hear a flush and him going back to bed. At 2:30am, still nothing had happened so I began to worry he was ill or it was something else so I got out of bed and peered round the door, the bathroom door was open, the light was off and his bedroom door was firmly shut. My heart raced and I asked my brother across the room if he was awake, he was also awake at the time this happened and reported that he heard the same thing. We then heard his door open again and footsteps and the bathroom door get pulled to the frame and the light cord clicking on, this time he had gone to the toilet and his bedroom door was open. This alerted us to the first happening being very odd as there was nobody else staying at the house at the time.

The summer of 2010 about August time, I had stopped going to my dads as often and sometimes stayed there on my own, nothing happened while I was there and I felt relaxed. One night me and my brother Seb stayed there, it was about 2:00am and I was having a nightmare about a black figure looming over me in bed so I woke from it but was unable to open my eyes and I felt pinned to the bed, I began to struggle and make noise and eventually I opened my eyes and gasped for air and uttered swear words quite loudly and felt un-pinned. My heart raced and I was genuinely for the first time in my life, in shock and scared of being hurt by the unknown. My brother heard my struggle and woke to ask me if I was okay, I never told him what happened and I just answered 'yes'. Subsequently I never stayed at my dads house since that happened and still haven't slept there to this day.

It is now 2012, I'm 19 and have more or less my own life, I still live with my mum, I moved to York but financial difficulties forced me back here to Westow. My dad and his partner are re-decorating the old house and fixing it up, I'm scared he is going to rouse old spirits and make the house a nightmare to live in once again. Although I do admire his courage and whenever we reported these things to him he would laugh them off and offer an alternate reason, a true skeptic. I visit my dad now and then but never feel like I used to about the hauntings, so these are now part of the past and I only recently decided to post them online so others can hear of what has been going on.

I hope reading this collection of true events was an eye opener for you, feel free to comment, whoever you are or wherever you're from, I'm open to suggestions or to give more info. I have more to tell but will write another story because I've already written enough here.

-Christy

Other hauntings by bloomfield19

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bloomfield19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bloomfield19 (2 stories) (5 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-18)
[at] Javelina: Yes indeed it does, he's not giving up the bad room because he believes it's haunted, just for the neighbours benefit since they have two kids now, feel sorry for them having to sleep in there when that's done. [at] princesslotus: Thanks for reading, since the haunted city of York is merely 25 miles away, i'm not surprised either and me neither I hope it doesn't! [at] cliney1212: it's ok don't worry! 😊
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-18)
Im sorry I referred to you as a female! I will remember next time 😆
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Thank you for sharing! In a place with so much history it isn't surprising that there were things going on. I really hope the renovations don't stir up anything nasty. I look forward to hearing more from you! Bless you & yours. MCL

~LSD~
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
He's giving them the bad room? Now there's a solution I hadn't thought of! Wow! That sets up a whole different set of circumstances now, eh? Very interesting turn of events, I must say.

Jav 😊
bloomfield19 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Well i'm sure going to be careful don't worry too much about that, I did return a couple of times after the downstairs rooms were re-painted and had fresh carpet and the house didn't feel oppressive, unless the activity is mainly focused at night. Also I forgot to mention that my dad is giving the spare room to the neighbours (having it knocked through into their house and walled up in his house) so that may cause some things to stir, I wouldn't be so sure though as I don't really stay there anymore. These things may not happen for a while anyway.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
I would stay away during the renovations, for sure. And maybe stay away for a time afterwards as well. Just to be sure not to have the scare of my life.

Jav
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
I Agree with Robertar
Make Your dad Sleep in that spare room to Proof him that that room is Haunted and see what he got to say.
bloomfield19 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Thankyou for the great feedback so far everyone! I will make sure to read your stories (if you've posted any!). I've drafted up another post but i'm busy with work right now so it may be while before the next post but I will make sure it is explained better this time acting on the feedback from this one!.
bloomfield19 (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
[at] Isandhu: It was a combination of lack of space where me and my brothers were and just the fact the room was empty at the time making it ideal for the student to stay in. No, he never returned unfortunately, although people have slept in there other times, but that's for another story. [at] Jack86: I'm sure my mum tried that while we lived there, didn't last for long as you say, a 'stop gap' measure:). The thing I saw was more or less average, the memory is fuzzy of that incident but from what I can tell you it was sort of average sized and cloud like in formation. [at] robertar: My dad isn't the kind of person who you could just tell to do something like that if you met him you'd understand haha. I've had another couple of similar incidents without seeing anything however, so it may not be linked to any haunting. Sucks to hear you've had similar incidents though 😢 [at] cliney 1212: Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it and that's great to hear from another Yorkshire person!:) I'm a guy though just to let you know, sorry, my name is misleading! I know exactly what you mean about that programme, it would scare me a bit less now i'm older however haha thanks, hope to hear from you again!.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-15)
Aw, it's too bad your parents made that poor French student stay in the "spare room" after your mom, at least, knew there was something wrong with that room. Maybe your dad, the skeptic, insisted that he would be fine in there. You don't say what happened to him. Did he come back and stay in the room again without further incident? For what it's worth, I believe you experienced what you say you experienced, although I don't know what the cause would be. It may be a combination of things - old house, lots of residual energy from former occupants, possible conscious haunting and possible episode of sleep paralysis in the mix. Whatever the case, it sounds like your dad isn't affected and since you don't have to stay there anymore, there's probably not much you need to do about it. I wonder if your dad's new partner has experienced anything weird...
Jack86 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-14)
wow, eerie story! The only slightly helpful advice I could give you is burn sage in various parts of the house... It half sure it works but I'm told its only a stop gap measure.

Your not the 1st and certainly won't be the last to endure getting pinned to a bed by something sinister unfortunately... I know the thing you saw is jet black but what physically did it look like? Big small, thin, average etc?
robertar (223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-14)
Suggestions?

Make Dear ol Dad sleep in the room hisself 😉

You might consider a little prayer. As one who has experienced haunting (mild compared to your case) and incidents of sleep paralysis (worse than what you so far have noted).

The entity may be an echo of the mentally ill person... But it might also be that the man's experiences stemmed from an entity that still resides there. You might also start having episodes outside that home-people who have SP often report it as a continued problem.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-14)
I enjoyed reading your story I'm a Yorkshire girl too! I know the type of house you mean old and full of character. I can imagine how scared you must have been at times. I love that programme a haunting but can't go to the loo at night after watching it never mind in a haunted house... I look forward to hearing the rest of your experiences when you post them 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: