You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Was Dad Only In My Dream?

Real Ghost Stories

Was Dad Only In My Dream?

 

This is about my dad who passed away in October of 2011 at the very young age of 65. Here is a little background about my father.

My childhood was wonderful. My dad did everything he could to make us happy. He would give us his last dollar if he needed to. He was a very wonderful man.

My parents divorced when I was about nine or so, which caused my mother, sister and I to move an hour away. I was heartbroken. Not only were my parents not together anymore, but now I couldn't see my dad as much as I was used to. Regardless of the distance, though, we stayed very closed. My dad never remarried and was very depressed over everything that had happened with him and my mom. He also was diagnosed with diabetes when I was about 12. His health declined from there.

I always did what I could to take care of my dad. He remained in the same trailer that he bought when he married my mom over 30 years ago until about 5 months prior to his death, when he was living with my aunt in Florida. She was always trying to get him to live with her. But, my dad was very stubborn (like most men, haha). He said he didn't want to live with her because she was "bossy." I always told my dad it would be for the better. But, you can't change the mind of a stubborn older man. He has a lot of pride. But I couldn't blame him. He didn't want to be away from us.

To kind of shorten this story, my dad's memory started going downhill fast. He was arrested last May for "breaking and entering". The charges were later dropped. Apparently a little boy came to my dad's house late one night and asked him to help him get into his house that he was locked out of. This was strange to me because the boy would have to pass 3 other houses to get to my dad's house. My father also had never seen the boy before, but my dad was a very kind and innocent man who would help anyone. He also knew that the house was vacant because the man who lived there owed him money and he was in jail for other charges. But after this happened, my aunt came to get my dad. She gave him no choice this time and said that he was too "senile" to live alone any longer. Although it made me very sad to see my dad leave, I knew that I wouldn't have to worry about him as much because he would have someone taking care of him. After he moved, though, his health began to decline dramatically.

I spoke to my dad often. He wouldn't remember calling me that day and would call me several times a day and say the same things. I always talked to him like we hadn't spoke already. I didn't want him to think he was getting old. Plus, I loved talking to my dad. But my dad had a way of never telling me what was wrong, because he didn't want me to worry. My aunt, however, would. She called me one day and said that my father was diagnosed with lung cancer. It was quickly spreading to his body.

The next few months are a blur. Chemo couldn't help him because it was so bad. The conversations between my father and myself were limited. He couldn't remember anything. I visited as often as I could, but it wasn't often enough. The last time I saw my dad was in the Hospice facility. He didn't even know who I was. It was very hard on me because we were so close. But before we left I asked him to "Gimme that wink." It's always been "our" thing. After I said that, he immediately winked at me. A week later, my father passed. I wasn't there and it made me feel incredibly sad. Not that he had passed, because I knew he was now healed, but that I wasn't there for him in his time of need.

I didn't dream about my father for the longest time. But a few months ago, I finally did. In my dream, I was in his house looking for him. I couldn't find him anywhere. Then when I looked in front of me, there was this white fog. I knew it was him. It was his stature back when he was strong. He hugged me. In my dream I was crying and still calling for him.

Well, I woke myself up calling his name and crying. I was saying, "Daddy...Daddy...Daddy". At this point, I realized I was dreaming but I also felt this pressure on the back of my upper arm (I'm a stomach sleeper). It was strong, but gentle, and felt like someone holding my arm. Once I fully came to, the pressure went away. I felt so peaceful, though. To me it was like my dad knew I was having a bad dream and came to me to say, "It's okay, Sweetie." (That's what he always called me.) I went back to sleep and woke up later feeling really well.

I know this isn't really a ghost story, but it's something similar to me. Like he's my guardian angel now. I miss my dad so much. If you read this, thank you. I really appreciate it and I would love to hear similar stories. God bless.

Other hauntings by lcturner3

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lcturner3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lcturner3 (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Also Dan, I do agree with you that Dad came to me in a dream so he wouldn't scare me. I've always been afraid of the unknown. He knows that well! So I truly believe that it wasn't just a dream and Dad wanted me to know that he was okay.
lcturner3 (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Thank you Dan & Eric! I appreciate you reading my story! Have a wonderful weekend! ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
Beautiful account lcturner3, I'm sorry for your loss, your father sounded like a great person, know that he will always be looking over you!
Past loved ones do come to visit us in dreams, sometimes they do this as not to frighten us.
I do honestly believe he was with you that night. Great account, thank you for sharing it with us all here! 😊

Dan
eric1966 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-06)
That's a Beautiful Story. I hope that your dad has found 'peace on the other side. And great luck to you as well.
lcturner3 (3 stories) (17 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
Thank you all so much for your kind words and the time you took to read my story! I hope he visits me again. I'm sure he will at a really critical time in my life. He always knew exactly what to say. I'm very blessed to have such a wonderful father. I hope you all have a wonderful day!
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
Loved it... ❤ You are a lucky person, to have loved and be loved in such a manner. Please know that he, will always be with you. 😁
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
I'm sorry for your loss. 😢
Your story is very touching, sad and beautiful at the same time.
I'm sure your father came to let you know that he and his love are always close when you need them.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
lcturner3: You won't get any argument from me that sometimes our loved ones (and others) visit us in dreams... If you're interested, here's a link to the first story of mine that was published here on YGS:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=7282

So I would classify it as a paranormal event 😊
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
I had a dream of my grandmothers (both died) that took place in a white fog. I never had a dream like that before, and haven't had one like that since. It too felt incredibly realistic. I also normally don't dream of my grandmothers, and haven't since. It is my belief that it wasn't just a dream. I would say the same for your experience. It was great that you had that happen to you, I don't expect it will happen again. I think it was just a nice goodbye. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
I would tend to believe it really was your father. I believe mine came to me in a dream after he died and we had a long talk, resolving some things between us.
caitlinmooneyx (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
I am almost in tears at this story, it's so wonderful.
Highly enjoyed, I hope he revisits you ❤.
Hitsugaya_Toshiro_ice (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Wonderful story... Its lovely to have your dad as a guardian angel.
If my dad did the same I would be very happy to have him with me.
Having dad who's so kind...
I wanted to feel that again:' (
Anyway, nice story 😉
And good luck to you

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: