You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Weird Knockings

Real Ghost Stories

Weird Knockings

 

First of all, I would like to say that I have always been a little inclined towards the paranormal. Also, when I sleep, I either have a nightmare or a blank night; if I've ever had a good dream, I am unable to remember it. And at last, before starting the actual story, I usually feel like someone is watching me, whether I'm alone or not.

Anyways, on to the reason of why I'm writing here. I am not Brazilian by birth, but I'm also not a stranger to it in any way, as my parents usually go to a congress there every year, taking both me and my older brother along. This story takes place on one of the last nights we spent in the latest of these meetings, over at a hotel in Brasilia.

I was alone in the room I shared with my brother, who had gone out with some friends he had made a few days ago (he's never had any trouble to find friends, no matter where he is), looking some things up on my mother's laptop, as she had lent it to me for the night. While I was inside, a constant sound of footsteps could be heard outside the room in the hallway. This did not worry me, as, after all, it's a hotel, people go back and forth all the time.

Things started to weird, however, when suddenly, the first light in the room's hallway, which was not very long, mind you, and also the only actual light I had on at that point of night, turned off. Now, the lights in this room are turned on by putting a card over in a holder by the door. When the light turned off, I went over to the holder, thinking something was wrong with the card's placement. I took the card out and put it back in, and the lights returned.

After some more time spent in the laptop, this same thing happened again, and I repeated the proccess. I was surprised, though, when, not five seconds after returning the lights, a knocking sounded at the room's door. I opened the door to find no one, and that's when I started to feel nervous.

Now, when I really got scared, was the third time around. The light turned off, I went over to the holder, took the card out, but, this time, the lights didn't come back on when I reinserted it. Then, the knocking started again. I began to frantically reinsert the card over and over, but the lights wouldn't return, and the knocking was becoming quite insistent, dare I even say violent.

When I finally managed to turn the lights back on, the knocking stopped, and, just to be sure, I opened the door, and, as I expected, no one was there. I then decided to go sleep immediately as I didn't want a repetition of these events. That night, it was the usual blank. It was the only time it happened, but it seriously freaked me out, and I was jumpy the entirety of the next morning, even a little sick, as I didn't eat much breakfast, and let me tell you, I love breakfast.

There's not much more to tell, as it hasn't happened again, but remembering it still scares me to the actual day. It was just too wierd for my taste. I really hope any of you can tell me what you think of this, as I myself haven't been capable of coming up with a good answer. If you comment and tell me your opinion, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Gastrick12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ninajk (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-19)
Hi interesting story. The comments are even more interesting! Why do people keep asking were in brazil. Do they not see BRASILIA written in the story lol. Hey talk about children been stolen you make Brazil look bad!
epicunicorn8165 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-17)
the lights going out may have been because of something wrong with the lights or wireing. And someone may have been knocking on someones door besides your or hitting the wall next to your room. See if you can find any history to the hotel if your sure it was a ghost
aimen (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-26)
I am glad that you haven't opened the door, In my opinion, something was there to scare you...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Gastrick12,
Remember what I told you about the sequence of three. That does seem to happen in what are believed to be 'intelligent' haunts. Many of us have experienced that same sequence at times we feel a passed relative may have been the source. Like a code maybe? Just a thought...

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
The thing is, you could have been dealing with two separate types of events. The lights, in my opinion, take actual intervention (by an entity or otherwise) to manipulate the action of being turned off or on. This goes toward the 'intelligent haunting' category. Whereas, the bangs are something that can be recorded and played back. And that puts them in both the 'residual image/sound' and 'intelligent' category. Because although they can be recorded, it can still be an entity trying to communicate as well.
Many of us believe the light manipulation is a spirit trying to communicate. What it is they are trying to tell us depends on so many other factors it's very difficult to nail down. Especially in a hotel room you have no history with. Could have been a bored spirit who wanted to scare you for no other reason than it simply 'could'.
It's when these events occur in the home that we have a better chance at an explanation. Or at least a better guess. 😉
I hope this has helped you.

Jav 😊
Gastrick12 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Javelina: Yeah, I've read and heard stories that are very similar, if not nearly identical. I'm even starting to believe that these entities enjoy doing it. Thanks for commenting.

Kiittiie: Really? Thank you for sharing! It feels great to know someone out there experiences things so similar to you. Talk to GabrielladeLioncourt, she's just like us. Well, if by small things you mean such as seeing people nobody else does for just a second? Then yes.
Kiittiie (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
''I would like to say that I have always been a little inclined towards the paranormal. Also, when I sleep, I either have a nightmare or a blank night; if I've ever had a good dream, I am unable to remember it. And at last, before starting the actual story, I usually feel like someone is watching me, whether I'm alone or not.''

Right there with you 😆

Have you noticed anything small happen since? Maybe even things that you can pass off as normal? Sometimes they stick to you without you even noticing and can stay dormant for a while.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Gastrick12,
First off, and I can't understand why this has yet to be covered, since spiritual presences have been theorized (and accepted as such) to be made up of electro-magnetic energy, thus detectable using an EMF detector, then it stands to reason that they may have the ability to manipulate electrical currents. This would go toward explaining how the lights were turned off. Three times they were switched off. The number 3 holds a place of interest as well with several members of this site. Each has their own reason for their interest, but it does seem to hold some weight around here. The banging on the door, were those in sets of three as well? Not that it matters so much as it does make me curious.
On this site we have plenty of experiences submitted that are very similar to your own. The lights going off or on by themselves, along with the banging, are typical paranormal events that have been reported here, and accepted, I might add. So as far as I'm am concerned, you did experience one of these events that night. Hotels are notoriously haunted, so I can certainly see where this can fall right into the haunted hotel category.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊
Gastrick12 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
zzsgranny: Please, gimme a break. I've been here for less than a week, and because of one instance in which I let my temper control me, apparently, some people seem to hate me already. I'm sorry to know you're one of them, as you looked over my story and accepted it, and for that, I thank you. I just wanted to share my experience with people who have been through the same, or at least similar, happenings.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
I guess it would make more sense to the rest of the world if we Americans called ourselves "United States of Americans"...Gimme a break...I, like so many others in my COUNTRY of America, are very proud to bear the name American... If you can't handle it, sorry...
Gastrick12 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Miracles51031: Thanks for commenting. First, I would like to apologize to both you and everybody reading this (yes, even you, reddysteady... Though not that much) about my behaviour. I am short-tempered by nature, and sometimes let it take me into a nasty direction. About my age, I'm 16. When I responded to reddy, I merely meant that he had written his comment in a way that suggested he believed me to be below the age of 13. I wasn't implying I had falsified my age at the time of creating my account, sorry if I lead you to believe that.

BadJuuJuu: Thanks for commenting. You know, I actually have no idea what it could have been. Maybe it is what you said, and I was just unfortunate enough to have both a malfunction in my room, and a prankster across the wall. It's just that, while all of this was happening, I felt really scared, as it was just too wierd for me, really.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Hi Gastrick12, this is an interesting account.
I worked in a hotel for about 3 years, and this brought back a few amusing/annoying memories that I thought I would share. Just as sort of alternative possibilities. The hotel I worked in was constructed quickly and painfully cheaply. We had electrical problems (lights misbehaving, smoke detectors constantly going off, etc.) And more than our share of plumbing problems. Every time it rained the toilet in 222 overflowed. Into room 122. We just stopped renting those rooms in bad weather lol. Maybe this hotel had some bad construction that made the lights act up that night? Our electrical issues weren't always predictable, sometimes things worked perfectly, sometimes guests left angry with refund in hand.
The knocking brings to mind the Little League Fiasco of '04. We had several Little League teams staying, some of the kids (and one of the fathers) thought it'd be fun to knock on the doors of other members of their group then dart back into their own room next door. Problem was, it was the dad's idea and he didn't know which rooms were with their group and he kept repeatedly knocking on a businessman's door. The businessman made an angry phone call to the desk trying to figure out who was doing it and when I checked the security tape it was this knucklehead dad and a few kids. The kids stopped harassing the poor man, the dad kept on until management threatened to throw him out. We had a lot of troublemakers knocking and what have you, but that guy...yeech.
It could be possible that a troublemaker in the room next to you was knocking and hiding back in his own room. Of course, I can't say that for sure as I wasn't there, but it happens ALOT in hotels. Maybe someone at the front desk could've checked into it, front desk staff get that question a lot lol.
Anyhoo, just a couple of non-paranormal possibilities. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Gastrick - I don't know about reddy, but considering when you filled out your profile, you chose an age that put you in the "teenager" category, I thought you were between 13 and 19. Are you suggesting you are older than that? Sometimes it's very hard to tell who is an adult and who isn't.
Gastrick12 (1 stories) (5 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Well, Reddysteady, I'm quite happy to see that you commented again, twice even. Now, I think you should revise your 20 years of schooling, as I believe discussing with a 'child' over the internet isn't proper adult conduct, nor is it very mature. I'm sorry if my comment seemed rude to you, but I believe it was justified, as you yourself were somewhat rude.

Now, maybe your apparently dumb-American mind didn't catch it, but, if I'm not wrong, the city in which I stayed is clearly written in the story above. I'm starting to wonder if you read it at all. About the American part, however, I digress. You yourself alone are not American, as, you may not know this, but America is a continent, not a country. I am as much of an American as you are, therefore I am, indeed, a foreigner to Brazil, but not to America. And just so you know, my brother is old enough to look out for himself, as am I. And Brazilians... Geez, I don't know, but the people I've met, at least, have been polite enough. Just out of curiosity, how old do you think I am?

The questions you asked, you know, I believe they deserve answers: Yes, yes it did take me a while. I'm not sure about the time. Slightly eerie. I'm not sure, I was asleep (And it's not my home, by the way). No, I preferred not to alarm them. No, it didn't have a peephole. Not sure, maybe three weeks? BMOS, see if you can discover what it means. Last year. All in that order. Thank you for noting my short temper, by the way, I believe you can relate to that, can't you?

You know, I see you have 93 posts. I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions myself. Do you really spend so much time on here? Or do you ever leave it at all? Do you have nothing better to do than provoke negative responses? Or do you enjoy picking fights with immature 'children'?

Thanks for reading. Toodles (You know, I've never heard of 'Toodle-oo'. Is it new?)

PS. I send you this message with all my love. ❤

On to another note, lilsparrow, I thank you for commenting, and thanks for your advice. Maybe I should follow it, should this ever happen again. A friedn had already mentioned it before, so I guess it really must work.

Galleygal, please don't worry, it's just a dumb discussion, really, in which both participants are being incredibly immature.

Cosmogal926, thanks for commenting. I don't think my brother would do that, it's not his kind of thing. Besides, as far as I know, which let me tell you isn't much, the power was supposed to be working perfectly fine, and it didn't happen on the few following nights. And again, if my brother did it, my parents wouldn't have encouraged that in any way, so they wouldn't have let him do it.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Gastrick12, Could it have been possible that your brother was messing with you? The lights could be explained as either they were on a timer/sensor or a glitch in the wiring. You mentioned that your parents room was right across the hall so it could have been fairly easy for your brother to bang on the door and then duck into your parents room before you opened it. If in fact it was something paranormal, maybe you can look up the hotel online and see if there are any claims of haunting there. Thanks for sharing. 😊
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Okies, I was a bit snippy this morning, but I can stand by the core of my statement and still apologize for any offense taken. I had originally asked 1) Where in Brazil this took place (Which I should have phrased better, and am recognizing for a second time); and 2) Where the O/P was from.

I was responded to the latter with:

"My country of both birth and residence is Chile, to the southwest of Brazil, see if you can find it in a map." - See if you can find it in a map? Wow, okay.

I asked a simple question and was responded to, I feel, rather rudely. I asked these questions out of mere curiousity, nothing more nor less, and to receive that sort of response was not warranted. So I nipped back, which was immature on my part, yes, but I can admit so happily 😁
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
[at] reddy - wow! What on earth did this kid say to you to deserve such a lashing?
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Gastrick12 - Well, gosh, in all my 20 years of schooling, including eight years of Spanish, and four years of Portuguese, I guess I missed how to read a map, especially when we were discussing South America. Darn, me and my fancy dual-BA and MA degrees will just trot back from whence we came, because we were redressed by a child on the Internets. Ohhhh me oh my. That was a terribly rude response to an earnest question, "My country of both birth and residence is Chile, to the southwest of Brazil, see if you can find it in a map."

I did not ask what hotel you stayed at, I asked where in Brazil. I'm sorry if there was a confusion there, I suppose I should have phrased it differently. See, as I'm sure you are aware, it is a rather large country. As such, the name of a hotel will not narrow it down for us dumb-Americans at all. And children and foreigners, which you satisfy both qualifiers, are routinely abducted and sold and blah-blah-blah. That is why I raise my eyebrow so heartily at your parents leaving you and your brother to your devices. I would say this doesn't apply to you, but Brazilians like Chileans almost as little as they like Americans, as I'm sure you know, so it's disconcerting.

As far as the sleeping part because you're afraid? You seem quick to anger, young one - is it because I asked questions? More detail is better than less. More-more-more. I give the skeptical face because I don't know many people that *could* fall asleep. Did it take you awhile? What time was it? How did the room feel? When did your brother come home? Did you tell your parents? Did the door have a peephole? If the door had a peephole, why did you open the door (curiosity right? I get that one)? How long were you there? What was the name of the conference? When did this take place?

I did not mean to put you on the defensive, I didn't say I believed your story nor disbelieved it, and the hostile response was not warranted, so I'm putting all my fiery energy into this response. 😊 Toodle-oo.

Ps - Your English is very good. 😐
lilsparrow (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
I was always taught to ask who's there, or look out a peep hole or window whenever there is a knock at the door. If there is no answer, or human there, then it is bad to open the door, because it is an evil entity, usually demonic in nature, and opening the door let's it in.

Keep salt with you everywhere. The type doesn't matter, though some people swear it has to be sea salt. Salt is salt, all of it is pure. Place salt at the doors, window ledges/openings, even in the sink drain and toilet bowl. That way if you do open the door when an evil entity is knocking, it won't be able to come in.
Gastrick12 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Thank all of you who have commented. I really am grateful, and, as it seems all of you have many questions, I hope you don't mind if I answer individually.

Scythe: I doubt I'll stay there again, but contacting the hotel is out of the question, as a call to Brazil would simply be too expensive for me to make... Or explain.

GabrielladeLioncourt: You know, it feels great to know there's someone out there who's been through the exact same things as you. I, personally, prefer not to interact with spirits should I ever encounter them, as it's impossible to predict how they might react. I feel sorry to hear that whatever it is that's following you has been doing so for such a long while. And about being followed myself... Well, I still feel observed most of the time, but nothing like what happened that night has ever occurred again.

Reddysteady: Ok, first, I'd like to thank you for your concern. Second, don't worry about my brother, he's an idiot, but he knows how to take care of himself, and I wasn't really all that alone, they were staying just across the hall. Now, the hotel's name... If I'm not wrong, I believe it was called 'Royal Tulip'. My country of both birth and residence is Chile, to the southwest of Brazil, see if you can find it in a map. The sleeping part was mostly out of fear, as I didn't know what I would find if I dared to go out into the corridor. I preferred not to take the chance.

Unexplained: That's actually a pretty good idea. Shame I won't be able to take it into account, as I probably won't go back there. These congresses take a different city of Brazil every year, so chances are slim.

Galleygal: You didn't really ask anything, so... Thanks for commenting.
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Wow. When I read how the lights wouldn't come on and the insistent knocking began, I got the shivers. There's no way I would have opened that door lol

No opinion on what it is; I just wanted to give you kudos for the spooky tale.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Ask the hotel staff and find out the history when you're next in that area. Sounds fascinating. If you find an employee who has been working there for a long time, I'm sure you might find some interesting stories to compare your experience with.

Let us know if you discover anything.
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
*Unaccompanied, as in, they left you at your hotel, and let your brother wander around 😊
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Gastrick12 - First, let me express my surprise that your parents would allow for yourself and your brother to be unaccompanied in Brazil... May I ask where you were saying? And where are you from? Brazil is a relatively perilous country - that's why I ask.

A second wave of shock that you would stay the night in the hotel room - going to sleep immediately? Really? 😕

Contact the hotel, like the other commenters said - There might be some history there.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Hey, I can highly relate to your story, as I to, feel always observed and I only have blank nights or nightmares like you. But this story resembles a lot mine, the one called "dont let him in".

But I found it inside me to tell him to go away, but aparently that made it worst. I still have to deal with this presence and its been many years!

I agree with scythe. Maybe there's been complaints before you of people saying its haunted.

But I had a question for you... Do you still feel that presence or has it been weird since you came back from brasil? Just making sure it didn't follow you.

All the best! ❤
Scythe (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
oooo Maybe you should ask the hotel staff if anyone has complained about the room, should you stay there again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: